Guitarist's Thread

It's all a load of Cannonballs in here! This is the virtual Arsenal pub where you can chat about anything except football. Be warned though, like any pub, the content may not always be suitable for everyone.
DB10GOONER

Re: Guitarist's Thread

Post by DB10GOONER »

OneBardGooner wrote:
Fri Mar 25, 2022 2:45 pm
YaaaaaaaY! I'm treating myself to one of these Little beauties next month....Paid the deposit this morning, so I'ver got it for a very good price too! :barscarf:

A Demo / Review:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RtAT6FuD_K0
Nice. 8)

Block93

Post by Block93 »

Not much support for Marillion on this or the other music thread, but their new album An Hour Before It's Dark is one of their very best, and features some stunning guitar work.

A real grower, needs listening for many spins until you finally appreciate it. But worth every minute.

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

Block93 wrote:
Thu Mar 31, 2022 9:05 am
Not much support for Marillion on this or the other music thread, but their new album An Hour Before It's Dark is one of their very best, and features some stunning guitar work.

A real grower, needs listening for many spins until you finally appreciate it. But worth every minute.

Hmmmm.... :rubchin:

I loved their early stuff with Fish but have to admit wasn't much of a fan afterwards. Their original guitar player was superb, not a shredder, but still a very tasty melodic player. Is he still with them? Will have to give this a listen!

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

Must admit, although I LOVE Prog (Especially The CTTE Yes and Genesis (up to Wind & Withering)...

I really like Script for a Jester's Tear, but when Fish jumped ship I didn't really stay with them...

Found this on YT:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-iqsxso ... YE_OQL3JAU

Their new album... will give it a listen.

Block93

Post by Block93 »

Great that two of you have finally stuck your necks over the Marillion parapet!! Not the first time I have mentioned them.

I was a huge Fish fan and Misplaced Childhood remains one of my top 5 albums of all time. And I am now touching 60, sadly.

But, post-Fish, the extended double Marbles album , with Ocean Cloud etc is just stunning, Hogarth a more than adequate replacement.

And Rothery is still there!

My fave band was always Genesis. Lamb lies Down also in my top 5. Maybe even No.1. Was listening to Musical Box only today. And much later on, 'Driving the last Spike' still one of their very best.

Steve Hackett lives in the next road from me in SW London. Ordinary semi. Several divorces apparently. Check out his version of 'Can-utility and the Coast Liners' on You Tube. As good as the Gabriel version.

Listen a lot to Dylan and Neil Young now.

But keep the faith with Marillion's latest! Especially 'Care' and 'Crow and Nightingale'.

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

Block93 wrote:
Thu Mar 31, 2022 8:59 pm
Great that two of you have finally stuck your necks over the Marillion parapet!! Not the first time I have mentioned them.

I was a huge Fish fan and Misplaced Childhood remains one of my top 5 albums of all time. And I am now touching 60, sadly.

But, post-Fish, the extended double Marbles album , with Ocean Cloud etc is just stunning, Hogarth a more than adequate replacement.

My fave band was always Genesis. Lamb lies Down also in my top 5. Maybe even No.1. Was listening to Musical Box only today. And much later on, 'Driving the last Spike' still one of their very best.

Steve Hackett lives in the next road from me in SW London. Ordinary semi. Several divorces apparently. Check out his version of 'Can-utility and the Coast Liners' on You Tube. As good as the Gabriel version.

But keep the faith with Marillion's latest! Especially 'Care' and 'Crow and Nightingale'.
I'll check it out. 8)

I've mentioned Marillion on here a couple times before I think. I loved the Fish years because his voice and delivery were so original and distinctive and his lyrics were superb. And then of course the guitar playing was immense. But I would not be much of a Prog fan in general, though I do like some of the later yank Prog metal like Dream Theater a lot and I like some early Genesis and Yes.

I'm mostly a metal head but I do like anything that is just good music too. I love Ska and punk and bands like The Police.

And I love Neil Young too. 8)

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

DB10GOONER wrote:
Fri Apr 01, 2022 10:30 am
Block93 wrote:
Thu Mar 31, 2022 8:59 pm

I'll check it out. 8)

I've mentioned Marillion on here a couple times before I think. I loved the Fish years because his voice and delivery were so original and distinctive and his lyrics were superb. And then of course the guitar playing was immense. But I would not be much of a Prog fan in general, though I do like some of the later yank Prog metal like Dream Theater a lot and I like some early Genesis and Yes.

I'm mostly a metal head but I do like anything that is just good music too. I love Ska and punk and bands like The Police.

And I love Neil Young too. 8)
If I like something I like it Regardless of what others say etc

My old Brother Michael used to let me borrow his Motown & Stax 45's when I was 12 or 13yrs - so I was well into The four Tops, Marvin Gaye and
The Temptations, but at the same time I was also beginning to get into The Moody Blues, Deep Purple (In Rock still in my top 10 albums) and Sabbath... All just starting to emerge in the early 70's

Then I heard Yours Is No Disgrace by Yes on the Alan Freeman (Saturday) Show and that was it... It was One of those "Moments" when You discover something never heard before...

Within the space of 3 weeks in 1973 I went to Yes perform Topographic Oceans AND then saw Genesis perform The Lamb in its entirety (in Bristol - misses the last train and slept on a bench in the station - it was Winter :cry: and we fuckin FROZE!)

First band I ever saw (when I was 11yrs old) was The Four Tops, my brother and his then girlfriend took me as a birthday treat... it was AWESOME! - 3 weeks later I went to see the Who doing Tommy... Pete Townsend in a white boiler suit and DM's whirling like a windmill....

I saw Marillion at Glastonbury, they were performing Script For A Jester's Tear AND Market Square Heroes....I remember seeing Fish ambling along out in the food tents etc a bottle of whisky in one hand and a BIG Bag of chips in the other and I remember thinking FUCKKKK He's BIG! :D

Besides "Yes" who are my favourite band, some of the best Live bands I've seen are Van Halen - They were supporting Black Sabbath on VH's first UK Tour/Gigs) and they BLEW! Sabbath off stage...

Also It Bites - They were EPIC! Francis Dunnery was incredible - But the whole band were so tight.

And (for sheer power and in your face) Level 42 - Mark King on Bass... SLAPPPING! 8)

King Crimson, ELP and of course Jethro Tull.

Love Joni Mitchell, Neil Young and Jackson Browne...

Oh! went to the Midsummer's Day Gig at (The Old Wembley Football Stadium) (73 or might have been 74 or 75??? :oops: ) A HOT Summer's Day

Line-up:

Stackridge
Rufus (With Chaka Khan)
Joe Walsh & Band
The Eagles (with Jackson Browne on Keyboards)
The Beach Boys - UNBELIEVABLE!
Elton John (playing Captain Fantastic - which had just been released)

The Beach BOYS Totally DESTROYED Everyone -- Doing all their hits... Elton John came on and after the opening songs Funeral for a Friend and Crocodile Rock - at least 50% of the crowd left! I know we did.....

Also Wishbone Ash on the Argus tour I was only 17 and the twin guitars of Andy Powell and Martin Turner were something else.

LOVED The Red Hot Chilli Peppers - Saw them in Germany overnight ferry - No Sleep till Brandenburg :wink: - Several lines of Charlie & Billy Whizzz and I think I recall Crowd Surfing and losing a shoe....

<sigh> Those WERE the days.

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

Oh man. I LOVE Motown and seventies American soul too.

Genuinely, "Didn't I (blow your mind this time)" by The Delphonics is in my top five songs of all time. 8)

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

8)

I remember saving my pocket money for 3 weeks to buy this 45RPM.

I've still got it (though it is scratched to fuck and back)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2EaflX0MWRo

The Bass Playing in this is sooo infectious... Just Pure Toe Tapping, hip swaying JOY! :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

DB10GOONER wrote:
Fri Apr 01, 2022 9:56 pm

Genuinely, "Didn't I (blow your mind this time)" by The Delphonics is in my top five songs of all time. 8)
and just for our fave Mod...

:wink:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qYNjpZ3NAGE

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

See if this gives you Goosey Bumps!?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nAZa2do8dYI

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

OneBardGooner wrote:
Thu Apr 07, 2022 8:41 pm
DB10GOONER wrote:
Fri Apr 01, 2022 9:56 pm

and just for our fave Mod...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qYNjpZ3NAGE
:barscarf: :barscarf:

skipper

Post by skipper »

For anyone playing bass guitar, or having children interested in playing bass (which is how I found out about it), I simply can't recommend this enough, and all for around £300. Gretsch Junior Jet II. Awesome instrument.

https://youtu.be/JwwKxGfgY9E

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

Sounds amazing for the price!

I used to play bass (not very well) in a 70's style rock covers band (we used to do covers of deep purple, status quo, sabbath etc)

I had a Fender Precision (2nd hand and well battered), I always liked the solid sound, but as I improved and started doing stuff by Yes and Genesis in another band I bought a (again 2nd hand) Rickenbacker and LOVED that "Grindly' sound that squire and Rutherford used to get, mind you they also had thousand sod £'s worth of FX and other stuff...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ln9T76ieaA

8) 8) 8) 8) 8)

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

One of my fave RUSH tracks... with a Killer Bass Riff! :barscarf:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ht8_3WYWzo

8) 8) 8) 8) 8)