Guitarist's Thread

It's all a load of Cannonballs in here! This is the virtual Arsenal pub where you can chat about anything except football. Be warned though, like any pub, the content may not always be suitable for everyone.
DB10GOONER

Re: Guitarist's Thread

Post by DB10GOONER »

OneBardGooner wrote:
Thu Jan 05, 2023 1:36 pm
EDDIE Would Be Proud!!!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-64173882

Members of the iconic heavy metal group Iron Maiden have joined a select few musicians with the honour of having their own postage stamps.
The new collection, available for pre-order from Thursday, includes 12 stamps.

Eight stamps feature pictures from their tours across the world over the years, and feature all current members of the band.
The band's popular mascot Eddie is also pictured on four of the stamps.

They are only the fifth group to be honoured with a stamp issue, following on from The Beatles, Pink Floyd, Queen and the Rolling Stones.
The images used in the collection range from 1980 to 2018 and include a photo from their 1983 gig in Hammersmith, and a 2008 gig at Twickenham Stadium.

There are also group shots, such as one of Dave Murray, Bruce Dickinson and Janick Gers in Rio de Janeiro, January 2001.
A stamp of Eddie shows an image from the cover of the band's first album, while another depicts him as a Samurai warrior echoing the cover art of the latest album.

The eight stamps of the band are priced at £11.70, and the four of Eddie at £5.60.

Both sets have a mixture of first class and £1.85 stamps, and will be available from January 12.

Founding member and bassist, Steve Harris, said the band was astounded with the project and were speechless when they saw the stamps for the first time.
He continued: "They look superb and I think they really capture the essence and energy of Maiden. We're all very proud that Royal Mail has chosen to honour the band's legacy like this and we know our fans will feel the same way."

'Bona fide rock legends'

Formed by Steve Harris in east London in 1975, Iron maiden have sold more than 130 million copies of their albums worldwide and are considered one of the most influential rock bands of all time.

They have received Grammy's, Brit Awards and recently finished their Legacy Of The Beast World Tour where they played to over 3 million fans.

The band's last album Senjutsu was released in September and debuted at number one in 27 countries.

Iron maiden recently announced their next tour, The Future Past Tour, which will kick off in Europe this summer.

David Gold, director of external public affairs and policy at Royal Mail, added: "Few bands in the history of rock music can be called bona fide rock legends - but Iron Maiden are just that - and more.

"With legions of devoted fans of all ages and from every corner of the globe, not only have they changed the way rock music sounds, but they have also changed the way it looks. We fully expect their fans will love these stamps as much as we do."

:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

Something tells me that just like their Albums and Concerts they will sell in Vast amounts.
Been a die hard Maiden fan since the first album. Fucking LOVE them. 8) 8)

We used to cover Run to the Hills and The Trooper and Number of the Beast in my old metal band.

Seen them live numerous times in Oireland, UK and Europe a couple times as well. One of the best live bands ever. Their stage show for the World Slavery tour that stretched for two years between 84 to 85 was fucking mental!! :shock: 8)

https://youtu.be/r9dWsSYStRM

The bit about two and a half minutes in where giant Eddie looms up behind the drum riser is one of the greatest things I've ever seen. 8)

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

OneBardGooner wrote:
Fri Jan 20, 2023 10:28 pm
Eddie Van Halen....

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/QKxvCYhDa14

8)
The Dennis Bergkamp of guitar. The man that made me pick up the instrument. Still devestated by his passing. RIP EVH. 5150. 8)

Almunia is a clown

Post by Almunia is a clown »

Tom Verlaine of Television passes on. :cry:

Some great write ups in the broadsheets.

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2023/ ... an-clapton

1977 ten plus minutes of brilliance.......! Tom Verlaine & Richard Lloyd on guitars.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jlbunmCbTBA

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

Any fans of David Gilmore - a sort behind the scenes of the Gigs he did a Pompei a few years back:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4bW_N54udjM

Even in rehearsals & soundchecks his playing is awesome. 8)

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

OneBardGooner wrote:
Sun May 14, 2023 10:58 am
Any fans of David Gilmore - a sort behind the scenes of the Gigs he did a Pompei a few years back:

Gilmour is a superb guitar player. Many fans of that era talk about Clapton, but for me Gilmore was better. And don't get me wrong, I loved Clapton's playing - before he became a pop musician in the 80s.

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

DB10GOONER wrote:
Sun May 14, 2023 9:32 pm
OneBardGooner wrote:

Gilmour is a superb guitar player. Many fans of that era talk about Clapton, but for me Gilmore was better. And don't get me wrong, I loved Clapton's playing - before he became a pop musician in the 80s.
That's a fact mate... He went for the BIG bucks... They say the Blues don't pay the bills .... But I think he might have made a nice bit of Wonga.

Stuart L (2)

Post by Stuart L (2) »

OneBardGooner wrote:

Great watch, thanks for posting

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

Knowing how shit I've been feeling lately, with my mom dying and my fucking back getting worse, my beautiful wife and wonderful kids surprised me with this little beauty for my birthday! 8)

Stunning Ibanez and it plays like butter! :D 8)
Attachments
20230622_121225.jpg
20230622_121225.jpg (94.93 KiB) Viewed 4982 times

shu

Post by shu »

I wish you a really good birhtday DB :D

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

DB10GOONER wrote:
Sat Jul 01, 2023 8:25 am
Knowing how shit I've been feeling lately, with my mom dying and my fucking back getting worse, my beautiful wife and wonderful kids surprised me with this little beauty for my birthday! 8)

Stunning Ibanez and it plays like butter! :D 8)
Happy Birthday Mate!

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

Holy shit Dude That IS Awesome! :high5: Seriously... Like WOWSA!

There are some Amazing finishes on Electric Guitars these days and for me Ibanez and PRS (? :rubchin: I think) do some Sublime paint jobs. I was in the local Guitar/Bass/Drum/Keyboard (PMT) shop about 2 months ago buying some Strings (Elixir Nanoweb Bronze wound 12:53 :wink: ) * for my Lowden Acoustic and even though I don't play electric guitar I took a nice long leisurely stroll along the 4 walls of Electric Guitars they had on sale and was almost salivating by the time I go to the end .. For me Ibanez and (I think it was PRS) do far more adventurous and beautiful finishes on guitars the (Bog Standard / Boring) Fender & Gibson guitars whilst being good seem to have grown staid; a bit like the Martin Acoustics (Now mostly made in Mexico).

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

Been eyeing this little Beauty:

Taylor 522CE All Mahogany 12 Fret : :-P

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

shu wrote:
Sat Jul 01, 2023 12:52 pm
I wish you a really good birhtday DB :D
Thanks shu mate. 8) :barscarf:

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

OneBardGooner wrote:
Sun Jul 02, 2023 12:13 pm
Been eyeing this little Beauty:

Taylor 522CE All Mahogany 12 Fret : :-P

That's a stunner. Nylon or steel string? It being a 12 fret I'm thinking it's a classical guitar so probably nylon. I just love the sound of a nylon string classical guitar. 8)