Andre Santos Injury

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
Wengerball

Andre Santos Injury

Post by Wengerball »

Straight from the mouth of the GIC

on injuries to Lukasz Fabianski and Andre Santos...
Fabianski felt a deep cut on the knee and Santos suffered a bad ankle injury. He looks like he will be out for a while . We have Gibbs coming back in two to three weeks. Hopefully Santos will not be too long but, for Saturday against Everton, he looks to be short. We have as well Vermaelen who can play in his position.

I think we are running out of fullbacks- I think it would be a terrible idea to play TV5 at left back, such a waste when he is badly needed in central defence.

In other news Roshitty will not be leaving due to the fact that "The 31-year-old has been back to his creative best this season and has already played a key role in the Gunners' Champions League campaign after coming off the bench to great effect in the crucial play-off at Udinese."

http://www.arsenal.com/news/news-archiv ... ng-arsenal

highburyJD

Re: Andre Santos Injury

Post by highburyJD »

Wengerball wrote:we are running out of fullbacks- I think it would be a terrible idea to play TV5 at left back, such a waste when he is badly needed in central defence.
so who would you play at LB?
personally I would rather see Djourou Mertescielny TV than be forced into playing Miquel...

Wengerball

Re: Andre Santos Injury

Post by Wengerball »

highburyJD wrote:
Wengerball wrote:we are running out of fullbacks- I think it would be a terrible idea to play TV5 at left back, such a waste when he is badly needed in central defence.
so who would you play at LB?
personally I would rather see Djourou Mertescielny TV than be forced into playing Miquel...
Im not sure to be honest but I feel that TV is our strongest central defender and we should be looking to give him as much game time as possible at CB

highburyJD

Post by highburyJD »

I know but Kos and Mertesacker are good players as well
might even let TV get forward more...

STLgooner89

Post by STLgooner89 »

Good call Wenger, play our only fit actual fullback and best lb for a game that didn't matter. Would rather see Miquel play there instead of shuffling the lineup and allowing f*cking Djourou to come anywhere near the starting xi though.

Oh, and great news about roshitsky.

highburyJD

Post by highburyJD »

cant win
some on here furious at how poorly we played
some furious that he played a first team player...

bad performance and some bad luck
let's just win v the Toffee's and move on

STLgooner89

Post by STLgooner89 »

Not mad about the result, was fully expecting us to lose this game. It's just frustrating that we made our own bad luck tonight with Andre's injury.

SWLGooner
Location: Islington Town Hall, applauding the fourth place trophy.

Post by SWLGooner »

City are gonna violently smash our back doors in :(

SWLGooner
Location: Islington Town Hall, applauding the fourth place trophy.

Post by SWLGooner »

On a positive note, how do those of you calling for the retirement last season of the only remaining full back on our books feel? :lol:

Percy Dalton

Post by Percy Dalton »

Personally I would play Miquel there as I have always believe you keep the spine of the side solid and then build around that.

That said, Kos has been fantastic and Metersacker improving so I can see the sense in Vermaelen playing there.

Still, nothing excuses this piss poor planning by Wenger. Playing your one fit full back (yes, both right and left sided, in a meaningless game game was an accident waiting to happen.

He was happy to play Miquel against Citeh so what changed his thinking for last night?

Only the genius of Wenger can explain that one!

:?:

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

Agree with Percy. Ludicrous decision to risk the one fit proper full back we have left and even worse was the decision to risk TV5.

It was a nothing game for us, we'd won the group, the Greeks (never the cleanest of footballers at the best of times!) were always going to be getting in tight amongst us - and let's not forget their well known love of leaving a late one in on your ankle or raking your achilles.

If we'd needed to win last night then fair enough risk everyone, but to risk players for a nothing game is just fucking stupid. I was just surprised he didn't risk RVP to be honest...

:evil:

Dan_85

Post by Dan_85 »

Who needs another LB when you can play TV there? Heck, I reckon even Pat Rice would play there if we asked him. Mix, make do & muddle along - its the Arsenal way!

:banghead:

littlefire

Post by littlefire »

Percy Dalton wrote: He was happy to play Miquel against Citeh so what changed his thinking for last night? :?:
Drugs?

:banghead:

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

Percy Dalton wrote:Personally I would play Miquel there as I have always believe you keep the spine of the side solid and then build around that.

That said, Kos has been fantastic and Metersacker improving so I can see the sense in Vermaelen playing there.

Still, nothing excuses this piss poor planning by Wenger. Playing your one fit full back (yes, both right and left sided, in a meaningless game game was an accident waiting to happen.

He was happy to play Miquel against Citeh so what changed his thinking for last night?

Only the genius of Wenger can explain that one!

:?:
Agree with all of this. Miquel, I thought, had a decent game against City and in the previous Beer Cup round against Bolton, including getting up and down the line.

If the GIC moves the Verminator out there it is a definite weakening of the spine.

And Highbury JD don't be so black and white on these things. Its not a "can't win" situation. We have one fit left back currently and its a perfectly valid question to ask as to why Miquel wasn't played there and Santos rested. Nobdoy in their right mind would take issue with the manager for that. At the moment the guy is in the same 'invaluable' space as Chesney, RvP, the main central midfielders and Walcott because we don't have any fit replacements in those positions that can be relied upon to play in the crucial league matches coming up.

The CL was done when we beat Dortmund. Personally I wouldn't have given a shit if we played a complete u-19 team last night and took a heavy defeat. Quite what's to be gained playing your one fit full back in a dead rubber is beyond me

Babatunde

Post by Babatunde »

highburyJD wrote:cant win
some on here furious at how poorly we played
some furious that he played a first team player...

bad performance and some bad luck
let's just win v the Toffee's and move on
You are clueless. Stick to the BNP please and leave football chat to people who aren't "paid for their opinions" LOL...