RIP Thread

It's all a load of Cannonballs in here! This is the virtual Arsenal pub where you can chat about anything except football. Be warned though, like any pub, the content may not always be suitable for everyone.
OneBardGooner

Re: RIP Thread

Post by OneBardGooner »

StuartL wrote:
Fri Jan 28, 2022 4:29 pm
Had some sad news that a friend of mine from childhood passed away last Friday from a heart attack at 52 :( :cry:

Knew him from the age of 9, when we played football together and went to the same school.

At about 15 /16 he was in my group of 5 best friends and later married one of our other friends sister.

Leaves behind his wife, a son of 17 and a daughter of 12. :(

I moved away from the area but he would be one who I would really look forward to having a beer and a laugh with at any re-union.

Big reminder to all, enjoy your lives as best you can , do what you really want to fit in while you have your health to do it as one day it will be too late.

🍻
Aaw! Mate, Sorry to hear of your Loss. And yes you are so right about enjoying life - even just the simple things whilst we can.

StuartL
Location: It’s a new dawn, a new day a new life, for me and I’m feeling good

Post by StuartL »

OneBardGooner wrote:
Sun Jan 30, 2022 11:21 am
StuartL wrote:
Fri Jan 28, 2022 4:29 pm
Had some sad news that a friend of mine from childhood passed away last Friday from a heart attack at 52 :( :cry:

Knew him from the age of 9, when we played football together and went to the same school.

At about 15 /16 he was in my group of 5 best friends and later married one of our other friends sister.

Leaves behind his wife, a son of 17 and a daughter of 12. :(

I moved away from the area but he would be one who I would really look forward to having a beer and a laugh with at any re-union.

Big reminder to all, enjoy your lives as best you can , do what you really want to fit in while you have your health to do it as one day it will be too late.

🍻
Aaw! Mate, Sorry to hear of your Loss. And yes you are so right about enjoying life - even just the simple things whilst we can.
Cheers buddy 🍻

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

R.I.P John Burke Shelley Bassist with Welsh Heavy Rock Trio "Budgie".

Met him a few times before / after gigs and he was such a nice bloke; always courteous and willing to talk about music theirs or anybody's. God Bless Burke, they must have been in need a a Heavy Riff in heaven.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Burke_Shelley

My Favourite Budgie Album - Still got my vinyl copy!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DlGieKNgJg8

Red Snapper

Post by Red Snapper »

Steve Burtenshaw, former Arsenal coach and chief scout. RIP proper Arsenal man.

A11M11

Post by A11M11 »

RIP Steve , A chequered history with the club but still part of the club’s history.

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

Red Snapper wrote:
Thu Feb 17, 2022 8:25 pm
That's sad to hear. Another of the old guard gone. RIP.

StuartL
Location: It’s a new dawn, a new day a new life, for me and I’m feeling good

Post by StuartL »

Red Snapper wrote:
Thu Feb 17, 2022 8:25 pm
RIP and thank you for your services to our great club. :barscarf:

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

Shane Warne.

GOAT.

RIP Warney. :cry:

goonersid

Post by goonersid »

DB10GOONER wrote:
Fri Mar 04, 2022 3:10 pm
Shane Warne.

GOAT.

RIP Warney. :cry:
I'll never forget him bamboozling Gatting and the brilliant retort when being sledged "hey shane how come you're so fat ?"
"Because every time I shag your missus she gives me a biscuit"

the playing mantis

Post by the playing mantis »

RIP warnie.

Cricket is my true love.

Absolutely devastated by this weirdly. He was Cricket. Growing up in the 90s he was THE star and remained so. Transcended the game, and such a character, just someone who you wished was your mate.

Theres a lot of terrible stuff going on and people losing loved ones every minute of every day, and i shouldn't feel like this but i do... this has hit me like losing a close friend. I never met him, but i saw him play in person in country cricket (i think) and on tv and listened to his commentary and take on the game with great interest, and felt he was someone we knew (i mean the cricket community). My family cant understand why im so upset about this, and i cant either really. Just doesn't seem real. Shane Warne can't die. he is cricket. Part of my childhood gone but at such a relatively young age and in someone so full of life, enthusiasm and positivity.

Solace in that he had such a good time and lived a good life.

RIP shane and thoughts and prayers for you, your parents, your children and all those close to you. Same for Rod Marsh another great.

Legend in the true sense of the word, we will never see your like again.

Bowling shane.

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

the playing mantis wrote:
Fri Mar 04, 2022 10:09 pm
RIP warnie.

Cricket is my true love.

Absolutely devastated by this weirdly. He was Cricket. Growing up in the 90s he was THE star and remained so. Transcended the game, and such a character, just someone who you wished was your mate.

Theres a lot of terrible stuff going on and people losing loved ones every minute of every day, and i shouldn't feel like this but i do... this has hit me like losing a close friend. I never met him, but i saw him play in person in country cricket (i think) and on tv and listened to his commentary and take on the game with great interest, and felt he was someone we knew (i mean the cricket community). My family cant understand why im so upset about this, and i cant either really. Just doesn't seem real. Shane Warne can't die. he is cricket. Part of my childhood gone but at such a relatively young age and in someone so full of life, enthusiasm and positivity.

RIP shane and thoughts and prayers for you, your parents, your children and all those close to you. Same for Rod Marsh another great.

Bowling shane.
I loved cricket as a kid in Brisbane. Was very lucky to be able to watch Marshy, Thommo, Lillee etc at the Gabba. Was very sad to hear Marshy passed away and now Warney. Terrible news. :(

I know what you mean about feeling like you've lost a close relative. I felt / feel the same about Eddie Van Halen dying. No exaggeration to say the man changed my life and gave me a passion for guitar that is a life long gift. I still cannot believe he died. It still upsets me to think of it. :cry:

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

May those Hundreds murdered and being killed by Putin Rest In Peace:

Please watch and if possible donate; no mater how little every and any amount will help.

https://www.dec.org.uk/?utm_source=twit ... paign=a025

Perryashburtongroves

Post by Perryashburtongroves »

RIP warnie.

Cricket is my true love.

Bowling shane.
The way we feel about our cricketing heroes as cricket lovers is different to any other sport. What they mean to us and what they represent is so different to any other sport. In terms of football, I love Arsenal but actually can't be bothered with other matches but my God, I love cricket and could watch any match, anywhere in the world all day, every day. There's something deeply emotional about the bond we have with our favourite players because they remind us of something, a time in our lives or an afternoon or of just being younger again. Moments and memories and love. That's what the game is about.

John F

Post by John F »

RIP warnie.

Cricket is my true love.

Bowling shane.
I am no longer gardening for a living and what I will miss most is listening to TMS while I was working. Warnie was a true legend. I disliked him when he was playing for the Aussies only because he was so good against us. From what I have heard he was a decent chap outside of cricket as one reporter said he was just as happy having a fag outside with the cleaners as he was hobnobbing with VIPs.

the playing mantis

Post by the playing mantis »

Perryashburtongroves wrote:
Sat Mar 05, 2022 7:01 pm
RIP warnie.

Cricket is my true love.

Bowling shane.
The way we feel about our cricketing heroes as cricket lovers is different to any other sport. What they mean to us and what they represent is so different to any other sport. In terms of football, I love Arsenal but actually can't be bothered with other matches but my God, I love cricket and could watch any match, anywhere in the world all day, every day. There's something deeply emotional about the bond we have with our favourite players because they remind us of something, a time in our lives or an afternoon or of just being younger again. Moments and memories and love. That's what the game is about.
Probably the most eloquent thing posted on here.

Well done Perry, had me welling up at the end (emotional bstard that i am), as it is so so very true.

Yes the Arse get me angered /annoyed/joyous and as a kid tearful at times and i have shared memories since the 90's with my old man and brother and cousins, but there is just something more and almost spiritual about those same feelings i have for the summer game and those same shared memories. I am the same as you in that I wont change the channel to watch another football game and actively turn other games off and do/watch something else if say BBC/ITV have a game on as i have no interest, but cricket is different, i can watch any game (apart from IPL) with pleasure just for the joy of the game - walking though a park or out on a cycle ride and come across a village game i will stop and watch and lose track of time, even out with the misses and somewhere to be, just let me watch 5 minutes (got in trouble touring Bath once as i was more keen on watching the cricket game we came across...).

I think Warney is the first, well certainly the biggest of the generation i grew up with to pass away (Bob Willis and Mike Hendrick were both very sad too but before my time). His relative young age and the fact he to me was the greatest and such a larger than life character, and someone with so much knowledge to give back and stories to share is why its so painful, even though i have no right for it to be and my tenuous link to a global star pales in to insignificance with what other people are suffering with whats happening.

Thinking about it he reminds me of lazy summer days that seemed to go on forever, when the world was perhaps more innocent and definitely simpler (maybe thats just childhood (good John Betjemen poem on that topic - entitled 'Norfolk' highly recommended youtube reading here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k1HYrts9kkE ), but i think it was).., playing in the back garden or down the beach with my old man or over the park in nets with my mates and hot days down at castle park or the county ground playing games behind the seating or on the outfield during an interval, barely knowing what was going on on the pitch but more interested in a impromptu knock about using chairs as wickets and spotting a player wandering around to sign a scorecard or bat, scrounging money from my dad for an icecream, i guess that's all part of it.

Once again, RIP the King, the game won't be the same without you, and thanks Perry for putting it so well how and why this feels like it does.