RIP Thread

It's all a load of Cannonballs in here! This is the virtual Arsenal pub where you can chat about anything except football. Be warned though, like any pub, the content may not always be suitable for everyone.
OneBardGooner

Re: RIP Thread

Post by OneBardGooner »

ps: Even with my Favourite artists / Bands/ Individuals... Like "Yes" I always describe myself as a Fan of Their music, rather than the Band/Artists... Because as we all know - some of them are UtterCunts - Van Morrison being a prime example... Great Songs... Harris Person.

Used to 'idolise' Steve Howe, then in 1972 I made the mistake of meeting him after a gig; I'd travelled 17 hours to get to the gig in Paris... managed to get a Backstage Pass after bribing one of the roadies with a quarter ounce and I asked him to sign my copy of the first 3 yes albums (Vinyl which I carried all the way from home) he signed the Yes Album (3rd release of the three) when he saw the the first and second albums on which he didn't play he "Threw" them away - they got scratched and damaged, saying' They're nothing to do with me!"... From that moment on I have always separated the Artist from their Music... :?

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

OneBardGooner wrote:
Sat Jan 21, 2023 12:39 pm
DB10GOONER wrote:
Sat Jan 21, 2023 2:21 am
I loved CSN&Y music and a lot of CSN songs. But I fucking hated David Crosby. An ignorant cùnt for his shitty disrespectful comments after Eddie Van Halen died. Fuck him. :censored:
:shock: Really!?

I didn't hear any of that mate.... What did he say? :cry:
Can't find the original tweet or whatever it was but here is the interview where he backpedalled like a motherfucker after being lit up by thousands of people on twatter every day for a week because of his comment on EVH dying:

https://www.vulture.com/2020/10/david-c ... tweet.html

:censored: :box: :censored:

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

DB10GOONER wrote:
Sat Jan 21, 2023 7:21 pm
OneBardGooner wrote:
DB10GOONER wrote:
I loved CSN&Y music and a lot of CSN songs. But I fucking hated David Crosby. An ignorant cùnt for his shitty disrespectful comments after Eddie Van Halen died. Fuck him. :censored:

Can't find the original tweet or whatever it was but here is the interview where he backpedalled like a motherfucker after being lit up by thousands of people on twatter every day for a week because of his comment on EVH dying:

Eddie will live longer in the memories (& hearts) of Music Fans far longer than crosby... To be so dismissive of someone when they have passed is Not Appropriate; but when that person has Re-invented and Pioneered a Totally New Way of Playing that changed Rock n Roll is WRONG.

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

OneBardGooner wrote:
Mon Jan 23, 2023 3:12 pm
DB10GOONER wrote:
Sat Jan 21, 2023 7:21 pm
OneBardGooner wrote:
DB10GOONER wrote:

Eddie will live longer in the memories (& hearts) of Music Fans far longer than crosby... To be so dismissive of someone when they have passed is Not Appropriate; but when that person has Re-invented and Pioneered a Totally New Way of Playing that changed Rock n Roll is WRONG.
Yep shameful shit really. I love Crosby's music but detest him as a person.

goonersid

Post by goonersid »

I love the stuff with NeilYoung, I know Cosby had serious addiction problems, but was never aware of him being a wanker slagging Eddie Van Halen!

Stuart L (2)

Post by Stuart L (2) »

Raquel Welch

One seriously sexy lady

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=i&url=h ... AdAAAAABAD

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

Yes she was....

*link not working mate.

Sean

Post by Sean »

My grandad; almost 88. I spent his final four days with him in his care home 60 miles away, as his breathing failed on Tuesday. Absolutely fucking brutal. They had him on morphine in the end, but naturally that robbed us of conversation. For the best, of course. He was on oxygen for the final month. He'd spent the past 13 months in a care home, after another 18 months with his daughter, which was after he was shipped out of London after his second stroke; which left him permanently paralysed on his left side.

After his first stroke, ten months earlier, he was walking again in three fucking weeks. He also survived a heart attack during the lockdown. This was a healthy, strong and independent man (and I will remember him that way), who only started to go downhill after turning 80 (and losing my mother, which I posted about here). Though he had never wanted to end up in a care home, he kept his marbles and handled his paralysis with tremendous dignity and grace. The care home staff loved him.

Now that's the final link with my birth and childhood gone. It feels horrible. These human losses are irreplaceable, especially with loners like me. Now even more worried about the future. Might be screwed on the inheritance too, but experience has taught me to expect the worst. After losing both my folks suddenly, the lingering deathbed experience is not much better, even if there is time to prepare.

He had practically lived with me for about 18 years and lived only a mile away from me, so for him to be sent out of London in 2020 was tough; though I got somewhat used to not having him local, which I imagine will help a little in the coming months ahead. I will deeply miss our conversations. He was always a help to me as well, even from 60 miles away. He survived four bombings during The Blitz (including the bombing of Highbury Corner, when he was at school), and survived a lot of health scares in recent years until his body could take no more.

Though my Grandad was just a casual Arsenal fan, having lived in Islington all his life until his disability, I did hear that he attended some games at Highbury in the 1940s and he knew that that we kept playing games in the Wartime League during WW2 (we won our regional league three times and also the regional League Cup!). As a Middlesex cricket fan as well, he admired the Compton brothers. He also had an interest in George Swindin and Jack Kelsey (he got me to look them up). He also knew about Dr. Kevin O'Flanagan, who played for the Arsenal just after the war. He also knew about Seaman, Adams, Bergkamp, Wright and Henry, because I was following the Arsenal by then. We'd usually end up talk about how Arsenal were getting on and how TOF made an arse of it in his final decade at the club.

If that's not bad enough, my mother's eighth death-iversary is next week. I would have visited my grandad that day as well and lifted a glass to her. Now I'll have to travel back out to the country to go through the funeral and then take a trip to another part of the country to scatter his ashes. I guess one 'benefit' is that I don't have to go through this level of pain again.

Thanks for reading and thanks in advance for any condolences. Bereavement and grief affects us all eventually. It's the price we pay for love.

Also, I hope OneBard is alright :(

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

Sean wrote:
Sat Jun 17, 2023 5:45 pm
My grandad; almost 88. I spent his final four days with him in his care home 60 miles away, as his breathing failed on Tuesday. Absolutely fucking brutal. They had him on morphine in the end, but naturally that robbed us of conversation. For the best, of course. He was on oxygen for the final month. He'd spent the past 13 months in a care home, after another 18 months with his daughter, which was after he was shipped out of London after his second stroke; which left him permanently paralysed on his left side.

After his first stroke, ten months earlier, he was walking again in three fucking weeks. He also survived a heart attack during the lockdown. This was a healthy, strong and independent man (and I will remember him that way), who only started to go downhill after turning 80 (and losing my mother, which I posted about here). Though he had never wanted to end up in a care home, he kept his marbles and handled his paralysis with tremendous dignity and grace. The care home staff loved him.

Now that's the final link with my birth and childhood gone. It feels horrible. These human losses are irreplaceable, especially with loners like me. Now even more worried about the future. Might be screwed on the inheritance too, but experience has taught me to expect the worst. After losing both my folks suddenly, the lingering deathbed experience is not much better, even if there is time to prepare.

He had practically lived with me for about 18 years and lived only a mile away from me, so for him to be sent out of London in 2020 was tough; though I got somewhat used to not having him local, which I imagine will help a little in the coming months ahead. I will deeply miss our conversations. He was always a help to me as well, even from 60 miles away. He survived four bombings during The Blitz (including the bombing of Highbury Corner, when he was at school), and survived a lot of health scares in recent years until his body could take no more.

Though my Grandad was just a casual Arsenal fan, having lived in Islington all his life until his disability, I did hear that he attended some games at Highbury in the 1940s and he knew that that we kept playing games in the Wartime League during WW2 (we won our regional league three times and also the regional League Cup!). As a Middlesex cricket fan as well, he admired the Compton brothers. He also had an interest in George Swindin and Jack Kelsey (he got me to look them up). He also knew about Dr. Kevin O'Flanagan, who played for the Arsenal just after the war. He also knew about Seaman, Adams, Bergkamp, Wright and Henry, because I was following the Arsenal by then. We'd usually end up talk about how Arsenal were getting on and how TOF made an arse of it in his final decade at the club.

If that's not bad enough, my mother's eighth death-iversary is next week. I would have visited my grandad that day as well and lifted a glass to her. Now I'll have to travel back out to the country to go through the funeral and then take a trip to another part of the country to scatter his ashes. I guess one 'benefit' is that I don't have to go through this level of pain again.

Thanks for reading and thanks in advance for any condolences. Bereavement and grief affects us all eventually. It's the price we pay for love.

Sincere condolences Sean mate. Sorry for your loss.

I haven't heard from OneBard and I hope he is OK. Can't say too much but he was having a health issue recently. I'm hoping he'll contact me soon.

gazzatt2

Post by gazzatt2 »

Sorry for you loss
My condolences

Stuart L (2)

Post by Stuart L (2) »

Sean wrote:

Sorry to read about your loss Sean, he sounds like he was a great guy.

you wrote it very eloquently - and as always, I hope remembering the happy times you spent together help you through the sad ones.

Sadly, it’s inevitable for us all to go through the pain of losing loved ones, unless you end up going first.

No matter how rich, successful or happy everyone’s life appears to be - there is a spanner in the works just around the corner.

Hope you are okay my friend, reach out if you need to, pm etc, not sure if you still have my mobile no ?

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

Sean wrote:

Hiya Sean,

I am so sorry other of your Loss, I know we had briefly spoken about your Grandad when we met up in London and by the occasional Pm.

I have PM'd you mate. Deepest Condolences To You. May he Rest In Peace.

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

R.I.P Monsieur Léon Gautier.

Léon Gautier: Last French D-Day fighter dies aged 100

Source BBC:

Léon Gautier was one of less than 200 Frenchmen who took part in the D-Day landings during WW2

The last surviving member of a French commando unit that helped to repel Nazi Germany's invasion of western Europe has died aged 100.

Léon Gautier was part of the D-Day landings in 1944 - when Allied forces invaded Normandy in France during the biggest sea invasion in history.

He was among only a small number of French nationals to take part in the deadly eight-day battle.
Gautier later called war a "misery" that "ends with widows and orphans".

Regional Mayor Romain Bail described Gautier as "a local hero whom everybody knew" and who was "an ardent defender of freedom".

Gautier was born in Rennes, in France's north-western Brittany region, and enlisted in the French navy as a teenager soon after World War Two began, as he was too young to enter the army.

He escaped to Britain in 1940 before Adolf Hitler's forces swept through much of western Europe, including France.

In London, Gautier joined the Free France movement, which maintained a government-in-exile and military that coordinated with the Allies against Nazi Germany.

He fought in Congo, Syria and Lebanon, before joining a unit of marine riflemen known as the Kieffer commandos, which trained in the Scottish Highlands.

They were the only French fighters to participate in D-Day.

During the Battle for Normandy, more than half of Gautier's unit of 177 Frenchmen were killed.

The D-Day landings, which involved soldiers from many other Allied countries, began an attack that lasted for 11 months. It eventually led to the defeat of Nazi Germany and the liberation of occupied Europe.

Later in life, Gautier settled in the Normandy port town of Ouistreham, and became a campaigner for peace.

"Not all that long ago... I would think perhaps I killed a young lad," he said in an interview with Reuters news agency in 2019, when he was 96 years old.

"Perhaps I orphaned children, perhaps I widowed a woman or made a mother cry... I didn't want to do that. I'm not a bad man."

Stuart L (2)

Post by Stuart L (2) »

OneBardGooner wrote:
Mon Jul 03, 2023 6:07 pm

Source BBC:

Léon Gautier was one of less than 200 Frenchmen who took part in the D-Day landings during WW2

The last surviving member of a French commando unit that helped to repel Nazi Germany's invasion of western Europe has died aged 100.

Léon Gautier was part of the D-Day landings in 1944 - when Allied forces invaded Normandy in France during the biggest sea invasion in history.

He was among only a small number of French nationals to take part in the deadly eight-day battle.

Regional Mayor Romain Bail described Gautier as "a local hero whom everybody knew" and who was "an ardent defender of freedom".

Gautier was born in Rennes, in France's north-western Brittany region, and enlisted in the French navy as a teenager soon after World War Two began, as he was too young to enter the army.

He escaped to Britain in 1940 before Adolf Hitler's forces swept through much of western Europe, including France.

In London, Gautier joined the Free France movement, which maintained a government-in-exile and military that coordinated with the Allies against Nazi Germany.

He fought in Congo, Syria and Lebanon, before joining a unit of marine riflemen known as the Kieffer commandos, which trained in the Scottish Highlands.

During the Battle for Normandy, more than half of Gautier's unit of 177 Frenchmen were killed.

The D-Day landings, which involved soldiers from many other Allied countries, began an attack that lasted for 11 months. It eventually led to the defeat of Nazi Germany and the liberation of occupied Europe.

Later in life, Gautier settled in the Normandy port town of Ouistreham, and became a campaigner for peace.

"Not all that long ago... I would think perhaps I killed a young lad," he said in an interview with Reuters news agency in 2019, when he was 96 years old.

"Perhaps I orphaned children, perhaps I widowed a woman or made a mother cry... I didn't want to do that. I'm not a bad man."

❤️

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

OneBardGooner wrote:
Mon Jul 03, 2023 6:07 pm

Source BBC:

The Greatest Generation are nearly all gone. :(

For anyone that read Stephen Ambrose's superb book "Band of Brothers" (or watched the TV series) the last surviving member of Easy Company, Bradford C Freeman, died last year. RIP.