RIP Thread

It's all a load of Cannonballs in here! This is the virtual Arsenal pub where you can chat about anything except football. Be warned though, like any pub, the content may not always be suitable for everyone.
DB10GOONER

Re: RIP Thread

Post by DB10GOONER »

Terribly sad to hear of Terry Hall's passing. As a metal fan the other two kinds of music I always loved were punk and Ska. The Specials were a brilliant band.

I also loved Terry's solo stuff especially the song "Forever J".

What I did not know was that as a young teen he was abducted by a paedophile gang in France and abused for several days. Apparently that experience motivated him to live life to the fullest after overcoming a battle with depression.

RIP.

Nos89

Post by Nos89 »

With the recent spate of celebrity deaths, Terry Hall's was the one that really sadden me. Wasn't only The Specials, Fun Boy Three but his work solo and in other bands he just blended in and wrote some magical songs. His influence will definitely become broader now.
Also, a respectful RIP to Kirstie Alley. Certainly had another kind of influence on a teenage me.

mcdowell42

Post by mcdowell42 »

RIP Pele

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

RIP Pele. 8)

All time greatest players.....

1. The Bergkamp.
2. Pele.
3. Messi.
4. Etc...
5. Etc...
51. Maradonna the Druggie. (Fuck you sid) :lol: :wink:
2575. Fake Ronaldo diving cùnt. :censored:

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

DB10GOONER wrote:
Fri Dec 30, 2022 8:40 pm
RIP Pele. 8)

All time greatest players.....

1. The Bergkamp. aka: GOD!
2. Pele.
3. Messi.
4. Etc...
5. Etc...
51. Maradonna the Druggie. (Fuck you sid) :lol: :wink:
2575. Fake Ronaldo diving cùnt. :censored:
I Concur 1,000%

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

Was sorry to hear of Gianluca Vialli's passing. Even though he briefly played for and managed the hated chav (only 4 years in total ffs, pull your attention-seeking heads in you chav cùnts) he never seemed to be steeped in cuntiness like the vast majority of chav players.

Like Gianfranco Zola, he seemed like a decent enough and likeable bloke. Shame they played for the chav.

RIP.

Stuart L (2)

Post by Stuart L (2) »

DB10GOONER wrote:
Sun Jan 08, 2023 12:43 am
Was sorry to hear of Gianluca Vialli's passing. Even though he briefly played for and managed the hated chav (only 4 years in total ffs, pull your attention-seeking heads in you chav cùnts) he never seemed to be steeped in cuntiness like the vast majority of chav players.

Like Gianfranco Zola, he seemed like a decent enough and likeable bloke. Shame they played for the chav.

RIP.
I echo your thoughts, seemed a decent guy, too good for the chavs.

RIP

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

Yes, very sad news.

He was a gentleman and an excellent footballer.

A chav yes, but he can be forgiven by the fact he was a decent human being.

RIP.

Nos89

Post by Nos89 »

Really sadden by Vialli passing. Was at Highbury for the Makita Tournament when he scored that fantastic scissor kick volley. For 1991 that was an amazing goal. Gutted he went to Chavs tbh. One of my favorite non-Arsenal players in the 1990's. RIP.

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

Nos89 wrote:
Mon Jan 09, 2023 2:48 am
Really sadden by Vialli passing. Was at Highbury for the Makita Tournament when he scored that fantastic scissor kick volley. For 1991 that was an amazing goal. Gutted he went to Chavs tbh. One of my favorite non-Arsenal players in the 1990's. RIP.
I remember that goal. Even Seamo said afterwards there's no stopping those ones. 8)

Also Vialli laced it unlike Granny Shagger who shinned the one SlySports keep wetting themselves over.

Nos89

Post by Nos89 »

RIP Lisa Marie Presley...I'm a big Elvis fan and obviously followed her life. After seeing her at the Golden Globes I'm not surprised by her death but saddened by it. Don't think she ever recovered from her son's death in 2020. Her dad was the biggest star in the world and no one knew how to deal with it, she was his only child and no one knew how to deal with that situation, that's why her death is such high profile.
As a comparison Eval Knivel's son Robbie also died yesterday and barely makes the news. RIP.

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

RIP legendary guitarist Jeff Beck. Wasn't particularly a fan of his music, but he was a superbly talented player who was comfortable playing everything from blues, pop, and jazz to hard Rock.

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

It seems like so many of my Music Heroes are passing away of late... Fuck I feel Old. :?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-64341315

Veteran US folk-rock star David Crosby has died aged 81, his representative has confirmed.. :cry:

He helped set up two major bands in the 1960s: The Byrds, and Crosby, Stills and Nash.

He was renowned for his guitar-playing and vocal harmonies.

His career saw him achieve the rare feat of being inducted to the revered Rock and Roll Hall of Fame twice.

Former bandmates saluted Crosby's creative talents, while acknowledging the conflicts they had endured.

Crosby's wife told showbiz site Variety that he died "after a long illness" while surrounded by family.
"His legacy will continue to live on through his legendary music," her statement added.

Crosby was born in California on 14 August 1941, the son of Oscar-winning Hollywood cinematographer Floyd Crosby.

He joined The Byrds in 1964 - a folk-rock group who scored their first hit with a cover of Bob Dylan's Tambourine Man, and whose other singles like Turn! Turn! Turn! and Eight Miles High helped change the face of American pop and rock.

His tempestuous tenure - a period during which he also briefly dated singer Joni Mitchell - culminated in his being fired from the group three years later.

Crosby then formed a supergroup with Buffalo Springfield's Stephen Stills and The Hollies' Graham Nash, who were later joined by another Buffalo Springfield star, Neil Young.

Crosby, Stills, Nash and Young made one of their first appearances at the Woodstock in 1969, and later had a hit with Mitchell's song about the legendary festival.

This band, too, was beset by in-fighting and broke up after a few years - although they have periodically reformed for concerts since.

Hits written by Crosby during his time in the band included the hippy anthems Almost Cut My Hair and Deja Vu, and he responded to the 1968 assassination of Robert Kennedy with the song Long Time Coming.

He became known for his countercultural politics and trademark moustache as well as his musicianship. A six-decade career culminated in his final album, For Free, released in 2021.

Off-stage, Crosby had multiple run-ins with US law enforcement, including an arrest in 1982 on drug and weapons charges.

His substance abuse had reportedly intensified after the death of a girlfriend in a car crash when he was a young man.

There followed periods of ill health, and a liver transplant in 1994. Crosby's reputation for a hedonistic lifestyle saw him named two decades later as "rock's unlikeliest survivor" by Rolling Stone magazine.

Crosby later expressed regret over his addictions and altercations with co-stars, telling the Los Angeles Times in 2019 he was "ashamed" of some of his past behaviours.

Following the musician's death, former bandmate Nash expressed his "profound sadness" despite the two men's often "volatile" relationship, adding that Crosby left behind a "tremendous void".

"What has always mattered to David and me more than anything was the pure joy of the music we created together, the sound we discovered with one another, and the deep friendship we shared over all these many long years," Nash wrote.

"David was fearless in life and in music."

Stills agreed, writing that his late collaborator was "without question a giant of a musician", even though they had "butted heads a lot of the time".
"His harmonic sensibilities were nothing short of genius,"

::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

For sure the guy had his demons and managed to (eventually) piss-off all those who knew and / or loved him, but he was also known for his generosity of time and donations to many worthwhile causes: Greenpeace. WWF.

I remember in my teens hearing Teach Your Children for the first time and being mazed at the harmonies; as I was also in an acoustic band and how much we worked trying to get harmonies right... and they did it as if without effort.

He and Graham Nash did a couple of beautiful albums together, one in particular Winf On The Water has a song "To The Last Whale" which is heart rending, the harmonies in this are "Exquisite" if it doesn't give you chills, you is dead.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H2PH-prm8M4

And for sure this 2 minute song WILL give you Chills: (Crosby, Nash and Dave Gilmour of Pink Floyd)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U-Y0SMitMpk

For anyone who hasn't heard any of their music:

Teach Your Children:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zj8FlXGPcOQ

Guinevere: by CS&N

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aT9EKqXDl68

He could do it live too. (C&N)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LPvOTVVbMko

A BBC (Studio) Concert from 1970:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TpkELuj6kn4

RIP Mr Crosby.

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

I loved CSN&Y music and a lot of CSN songs. But I fucking hated David Crosby. An ignorant cùnt for his shitty disrespectful comments after Eddie Van Halen died. Fuck him. :censored:

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

DB10GOONER wrote:
Sat Jan 21, 2023 2:21 am
I loved CSN&Y music and a lot of CSN songs. But I fucking hated David Crosby. An ignorant cùnt for his shitty disrespectful comments after Eddie Van Halen died. Fuck him. :censored:
:shock: Really!?

I didn't hear any of that mate.... What did he say? :cry: