RIP Thread

It's all a load of Cannonballs in here! This is the virtual Arsenal pub where you can chat about anything except football. Be warned though, like any pub, the content may not always be suitable for everyone.
Perryashburtongroves

Re: RIP Thread

Post by Perryashburtongroves »

the playing mantis wrote:
Sun Mar 06, 2022 11:08 pm
Perryashburtongroves wrote:
Sat Mar 05, 2022 7:01 pm
the playing mantis wrote:
Fri Mar 04, 2022 10:09 pm
RIP warnie.

Cricket is my true love.

Absolutely devastated by this weirdly. He was Cricket. Growing up in the 90s he was THE star and remained so. Transcended the game, and such a character, just someone who you wished was your mate.

Theres a lot of terrible stuff going on and people losing loved ones every minute of every day, and i shouldn't feel like this but i do... this has hit me like losing a close friend. I never met him, but i saw him play in person in country cricket (i think) and on tv and listened to his commentary and take on the game with great interest, and felt he was someone we knew (i mean the cricket community). My family cant understand why im so upset about this, and i cant either really. Just doesn't seem real. Shane Warne can't die. he is cricket. Part of my childhood gone but at such a relatively young age and in someone so full of life, enthusiasm and positivity.

Solace in that he had such a good time and lived a good life.

RIP shane and thoughts and prayers for you, your parents, your children and all those close to you. Same for Rod Marsh another great.

Legend in the true sense of the word, we will never see your like again.

Bowling shane.
The way we feel about our cricketing heroes as cricket lovers is different to any other sport. What they mean to us and what they represent is so different to any other sport. In terms of football, I love Arsenal but actually can't be bothered with other matches but my God, I love cricket and could watch any match, anywhere in the world all day, every day. There's something deeply emotional about the bond we have with our favourite players because they remind us of something, a time in our lives or an afternoon or of just being younger again. Moments and memories and love. That's what the game is about.
Probably the most eloquent thing posted on here.

Well done Perry, had me welling up at the end (emotional bstard that i am), as it is so so very true.

Yes the Arse get me angered /annoyed/joyous and as a kid tearful at times and i have shared memories since the 90's with my old man and brother and cousins, but there is just something more and almost spiritual about those same feelings i have for the summer game and those same shared memories. I am the same as you in that I wont change the channel to watch another football game and actively turn other games off and do/watch something else if say BBC/ITV have a game on as i have no interest, but cricket is different, i can watch any game (apart from IPL) with pleasure just for the joy of the game - walking though a park or out on a cycle ride and come across a village game i will stop and watch and lose track of time, even out with the misses and somewhere to be, just let me watch 5 minutes (got in trouble touring Bath once as i was more keen on watching the cricket game we came across...).

I think Warney is the first, well certainly the biggest of the generation i grew up with to pass away (Bob Willis and Mike Hendrick were both very sad too but before my time). His relative young age and the fact he to me was the greatest and such a larger than life character, and someone with so much knowledge to give back and stories to share is why its so painful, even though i have no right for it to be and my tenuous link to a global star pales in to insignificance with what other people are suffering with whats happening.

Thinking about it he reminds me of lazy summer days that seemed to go on forever, when the world was perhaps more innocent and definitely simpler (maybe thats just childhood (good John Betjemen poem on that topic - entitled 'Norfolk' highly recommended youtube reading here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k1HYrts9kkE ), but i think it was).., playing in the back garden or down the beach with my old man or over the park in nets with my mates and hot days down at castle park or the county ground playing games behind the seating or on the outfield during an interval, barely knowing what was going on on the pitch but more interested in a impromptu knock about using chairs as wickets and spotting a player wandering around to sign a scorecard or bat, scrounging money from my dad for an icecream, i guess that's all part of it.

Once again, RIP the King, the game won't be the same without you, and thanks Perry for putting it so well how and why this feels like it does.
It's taken cricket to finally turn this forum into the proper place of sensibility, decorum and high-class conversation that it should have always been. Lovely words,mate,absolutely lovely. I always think that no matter where you are in the world or who you are talking to, they'll always be a connection to cricket brought up somewhere. Someone always says, "Oh my dad used to play" or "My brother loves it" or "I spent years as a kid watching my dad and uncle and brother all play together." Even if people have no interest themselves, they've always had or have a connection somewhere. The game just seems to stay with you.

StuartL
Location: It’s a new dawn, a new day a new life, for me and I’m feeling good

Post by StuartL »

Taylor Hawkins - drummer with the Foo Fighters :cry: was only 50.

Feel lucky that I got to see them a couple of years ago - was a fabulous gig, he was a superb drummer.

🍻

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

StuartL wrote:
Sat Mar 26, 2022 4:42 pm
Taylor Hawkins - drummer with the Foo Fighters :cry: was only 50.

Feel lucky that I got to see them a couple of years ago - was a fabulous gig, he was a superb drummer.

🍻
Yeah a real shame he passed away. Very talented guy. He had a close call back in 2000 or 2001 too. :(

RIP.

gooner265

Post by gooner265 »

Great memorial today RIP Warnie , will never be another like you.
Cricket is my second love and actually helped me through the shit weve had to put up with over the years at the bowl.
Have a few heries , Botham being my ss he got me into the game in 81 . But this is the game where you dont hate your rivals but have a glowing respect for great players and they all get on after the game and fans get on in the crowd.
Warney was my favourite non English cricketer of all time and always will be , was a legend on the pitch, a huge personality off it and did so much for charity . Had time for everyone, was fantastic as part of the commentary team on sky , memorial has really choked me up but a great send off. :barscarf:

mcdowell42

Post by mcdowell42 »

Rest In Peace to former Arsenal Chief Scout Steve Rowley - the man responsible for identifying Tony Adams & Ray Parlour, among others - who has sadly passed away after a short illness aged 63.

RIP. 🌹 https://t.co/yBYMHik89t

gazzatt2

Post by gazzatt2 »

mcdowell42 wrote:
Sun Apr 17, 2022 1:06 pm
Rest In Peace to former Arsenal Chief Scout Steve Rowley - the man responsible for identifying Tony Adams & Ray Parlour, among others - who has sadly passed away after a short illness aged 63.

that's no age
RIP

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

mcdowell42 wrote:
Sun Apr 17, 2022 1:06 pm

Sad news. RIP.

mcdowell42

Post by mcdowell42 »

Rip Dennis Waterman ,passed away yesterday aged 74

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

mcdowell42 wrote:
Sun May 08, 2022 4:24 pm
I used to love his show "Minder". You never see it repeated nowadays. Probably too many "outdated attitudes and language" for the snowflakes.... :roll:

RIP.

mcdowell42

Post by mcdowell42 »

DB10GOONER wrote:
Sun May 08, 2022 5:33 pm
mcdowell42 wrote:
Sun May 08, 2022 4:24 pm
I used to love his show "Minder". You never see it repeated nowadays. Probably too many "outdated attitudes and language" for the snowflakes.... :roll:

RIP.
They used to show it on itv 4 every evening a few yrs ago,not sure if they still do,Minder was classic TV viewing

A11M11

Post by A11M11 »

Minder and The Sweeney two classics from the 1970's . Sadly all of the stars are no longer with us. RIP Dennis Waterman.

StuartL
Location: It’s a new dawn, a new day a new life, for me and I’m feeling good

Post by StuartL »

A11M11 wrote:
Sun May 08, 2022 8:40 pm
Minder and The Sweeney two classics from the 1970's . Sadly all of the stars are no longer with us. RIP Dennis Waterman.
Preferred the Professionals myself but watched a bit of Minder every now and then.

A11M11

Post by A11M11 »

StuartL wrote:
Wed May 11, 2022 8:16 pm
A11M11 wrote:
Preferred the Professionals myself but watched a bit of Minder every now and then.
Same meat different gravy

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

A11M11 wrote:
Wed May 11, 2022 10:41 pm
StuartL wrote:
Wed May 11, 2022 8:16 pm
A11M11 wrote:
Same meat different gravy
Yeah I enjoyed both but particularly loved Minder.

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

R.I.P Vangelis Papathanassiou

Famed for his Movie Scores such as Chariots Of Fire and Blade Runner, also his collaborations with Jon Anderson of Yes.

:cry:

For me his soundtrack for the Blade Runner movie went a huge way to creating the dream-like ambience and atmosphere in the movie. I don't usually like Sci-Fi movies etc, but Blade Runner is something special, the opening scene of the movie is (for me) The best opening to any movie ever!

For me there was this real weaving of 'Hope' and yet 'Pathos' in his music.

Link:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x6dKU22lt3E

This is a link to an extended version of some of the music from Blade Runner, you can Chill-Out and Totally Relax to it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RScZrvTebeA

Source BBC :

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-61514850

Greek composer Vangelis, who was known for his celebrated film themes for Chariots of Fire and Blade Runner, has died at the age of 79.
He won an Oscar for the stirring score to 1981's Chariots of Fire.

Paying tribute, Lord Puttnam, who produced the film, told the BBC Vangelis had created "a new musical landscape".
US composer Austin Wintory wrote on Twitter that Vangelis "changed an entire era of music".

Oscar-nominated British musician Daniel Pemberton said it was hard to underestimate the colossal impact of Vangelis on modern film music.
"It is also hard to understand how groundbreaking Chariots of Fire was. A period British film with a phenomenal synth score," he added.

Vangelis's Chariots of Fire theme famously accompanied shots of athletes running along the beach in St Andrews, Scotland, at the start of the film, which was set before the 1924 Olympics.

It went to number one in the US, and later topped the UK's classical singles chart in 2012 after being performed by Mr Bean at the opening ceremony of the London Olympic Games.

Lord Puttnam, who also won an Oscar for the film, said: "I think Vangelis created a new landscape, a new musical landscape, that many other composers have taken advantage of".

He said that when he and his wife first heard the score "every single hair at the back of my neck stood up".

Vangelis was nominated for a Golden Globe and Bafta for his score on Sir Ridley Scott's science fiction thriller, Blade Runner.
Charles de Lauzirika, who produced the 1983 film, said: "His music, not just in Blade Runner, was otherworldly in beautiful and haunting ways I lack the words to describe.

"He created lush dream states I still love getting lost in."
Vangelis's other film credits included The Bounty, Francesco, Bitter Moon, 1492: Conquest of Paradise and Alexander.

The Greek composer once said: "My interest was not to create a symphony orchestra, which I can very easily, but to go further than that and do things that the symphony orchestra can't do.
"And I think that I succeeded to create something like this."