RIP Thread

It's all a load of Cannonballs in here! This is the virtual Arsenal pub where you can chat about anything except football. Be warned though, like any pub, the content may not always be suitable for everyone.
DB10GOONER

Re: RIP Thread

Post by DB10GOONER »

OneBardGooner wrote:
Fri Sep 23, 2022 8:47 pm
Thanks mate.

I saw it and it really moved me, and simply re-asserted that those young men (Boys) Who stood and fought for our country in the 2nd world war - were Brave beyond anything I can imagine. Every one of them a Hero in my eyes.
Amen. They weren't called The Greatest Generation for nothing. 8)

StuartL
Location: It’s a new dawn, a new day a new life, for me and I’m feeling good

Post by StuartL »

Nurse Ratched from 1 flew over the cuckoo’s nest

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-63019250

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

My Mum would have been 99years of age today; she passed away 21 years ago... isn't it odd how I can go quite some days without thinking about her and then Wham! It is as if she is stood there next to me laughing or telling me off - and all that awful Missing Feeling comes flooding back in as if she only went yesterday...

She was only a young woman / girl when World War Two came along and she joined the WAF (Women's Air Force) - I've got a photograph of her in the uniform; which looked two sizes too big from that time, one of those ones where they have to sit and look kind of stern, but apparently she kept laughing and got told off, but they eventually gave up and she is smiling in the photograph.

Anyway - Just wanted to say, the past 21 years have zoomed by - Took flowers to her grave (her favourites) this morning and just sat there and talked - Crazy huh!?

One of her favourite birds was the Robin and so there I am stood talking to her and this Robin alights on the Headstone.. and just perched there looking at me for ages .. I said "Hiya Mum" it fluttered its wings and flew off...

StuartL

Post by StuartL »

OneBardGooner wrote:
Mon Sep 26, 2022 8:47 am
My Mum would have been 99years of age today; she passed away 21 years ago... isn't it odd how I can go quite some days without thinking about her and then Wham! It is as if she is stood there next to me laughing or telling me off - and all that awful Missing Feeling comes flooding back in as if she only went yesterday...

She was only a young woman / girl when World War Two came along and she joined the WAF (Women's Air Force) - I've got a photograph of her in the uniform; which looked two sizes too big from that time, one of those ones where they have to sit and look kind of stern, but apparently she kept laughing and got told off, but they eventually gave up and she is smiling in the photograph.

Anyway - Just wanted to say, the past 21 years have zoomed by - Took flowers to her grave (her favourites) this morning and just sat there and talked - Crazy huh!?

One of her favourite birds was the Robin and so there I am stood talking to her and this Robin alights on the Headstone.. and just perched there looking at me for ages .. I said "Hiya Mum" it fluttered its wings and flew off...
Nice story re her WAF days mate, treasure that photograph.

Hope today was a good day for you that you remembered the good times.

A lot of people think Robins signify messages from loved ones

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

StuartL wrote:
Mon Sep 26, 2022 6:05 pm
OneBardGooner wrote:
Mon Sep 26, 2022 8:47 am

Nice story re her WAF days mate, treasure that photograph.

Hope today was a good day for you that you remembered the good times.

A lot of people think Robins signify messages from loved ones

Yes, I do mate, I Truly DO.

I didn't know that mate, thanks for sharing ...makes total sense when you think about it.

goonersid

Post by goonersid »

The 10 victims of the terrible tragedy at the apple green petrol station in Creeslough Co Donegal !
On another note, I'm sure it's been highlighted before, but if you haven't noticed it, the first post on this thread is worth a look :lol:

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

goonersid wrote:
Sat Oct 08, 2022 4:10 pm
The 10 victims of the terrible tragedy at the apple green petrol station in Creeslough Co Donegal !
On another note, I'm sure it's been highlighted before, but if you haven't noticed it, the first post on this thread is worth a look :lol:
Appalling segway, sid. :lol: :wink:

The whole first page of this thread is a glowing tribute to a peado. Of course those posters did not know the truth at that stage..... :wink:

StuartL

Post by StuartL »

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/63489122

Ronnie Radford, scorer of one of the FA cup’s most iconic goals

goonersid

Post by goonersid »

Dr Feelgood guitarist and lunatic, Wilko!
RIP

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

goonersid wrote:
Wed Nov 23, 2022 9:45 pm
Dr Feelgood guitarist and lunatic, Wilko!
RIP
Saw that. What a shame. He was great old school player. RIP. :(

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

Christine McVie of Fleetwood Mac aged 79yrs of age.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-63812952

Not everyone's cup of tea O I know, but I remember the album Rumours being the album of a Special Summer - when I was a teen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uzEt9cATWFw 8)

shu

Post by shu »

Terry Hall of the Specials RIP. I was 12 when they hit the scene with Gangsters . There was some super music out then .

Stuart L (2)

Post by Stuart L (2) »

shu wrote:
Tue Dec 20, 2022 3:27 pm
Terry Hall of the Specials RIP. I was 12 when they hit the scene with Gangsters . There was some super music out then .
Agreed mate, I was 10 in 1979, Arsenal won the FA cup and ska burst onto the scene thanks to the Specials and Two Tone, was a great time to be a youth.

Been lucky to have seen the Specials in their reformed state (6 out of 7 members, no Jerry Dammers) a few times over the years

Although Terry was the front man, it was Neville, for me, who provided much of the drive and energy to live performances.

63 is no age……not even old enough to claim your state pension

Very prophetic words “ enjoy yourself, it’s later than you think, enjoy yourselves, while you’re still in the pink, the years go by as quickly as you blink, enjoy yourselves, enjoy yourselves, it’s later than you think”

🏁❤️🏁❤️🏁❤️

shu

Post by shu »

Well said Stuart , that is a fitting tribute. I also agree on Neville , he is still magic .

Funnily enough I introduced my son to ‘Ghost Town’ just a month or so ago .

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

"Ghost Town" was / is one of this iconic songs that defined an era and period in time in the UK. Great Song!

as an aside: Sadly if the Tories continue with their destruction of the Economy those dark days of the "Ghosts Towns"(s) will be back with us.... I live in a small town and 4 shops have closed / gone out of business this past month, something unheard of where I live. As shop premises were always being sought after previously.