Olivier Giroud - Another Alan Smith or "Le Chapman"?

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
TeeCee

Re: Olivier Giroud and Alan Smith

Post by TeeCee »

Giroud will be a flop.
He has no outstanding attributes. He is not quick, cannot dribble, doesn't hold the ball, his shooting is very poor (sorry, you don't have to play regularly to be able to hit the target, it's basic stuff), he is ok in the air, doesn't seem to be particularly strong on the ball......he's very similar to Chamakh in attributes in fact, very very similar.
Buying one season wonders from the French league is not the answer. We have overpaid by about 7m for him, but Wenger likes nothing better than pumping millions into the French game!!

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

He wins a lot of flick ons and holds the ball up well........and thats about it.

We could have signed just about any CF from League 2 to do that sort of limited role.

I wasn't there today but tell me, did the miserable fucker give the slightest positive reaction to the fans.....or did he slide away down the tunnel, chin on chest, desperately feeling sorry for himself as fucking usual. Must be a nightmare doing a job you love and having had your wages quadrupled overnight. Oh the pressure......its all too much

Top Londoner

Post by Top Londoner »

TeeCee wrote:Giroud will be a flop.
He has no outstanding attributes. He is not quick, cannot dribble, doesn't hold the ball, his shooting is very poor (sorry, you don't have to play regularly to be able to hit the target, it's basic stuff), he is ok in the air, doesn't seem to be particularly strong on the ball......he's very similar to Chamakh in attributes in fact, very very similar.
Buying one season wonders from the French league is not the answer. We have overpaid by about 7m for him, but Wenger likes nothing better than pumping millions into the French game!!

Breast feeding from Baba's ample tit I see :rubchin:
Give the bloke (Giroud) some time ffs

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

Top Londoner wrote:

Time to get used to the pace and physical nature of the PL game is one thing. Time to hit a fucking barn door when presented with simple goalscoring opportunities (Liverpool away, Sunderland home, today, penalty vs Cov) is another.

Very very worrying

begeegs

Post by begeegs »

I think the guy needs a run of games. No one really seems to play off of his flick ons which is poor as by now, the team should know that he is half-decent in the air. His chance today wasn't an easy chance and he missed. Other than that - he didn't really get service.

IMO - he needs minutes on the pitch and I don't understand why Wenger isn't playing him. If he isn't going to play him, then why didn't he buy a proper striker.

Top Londoner

Post by Top Londoner »

Same peeps were probably calling for Jenks to be loaned out to Yeovil.
Remember when DB10 scored his first goal, after what, seven games?
His heart nearly burst through his chest and the rest is history.
At least this bloke has netted before his seventh game.
S'pose if he bagged a hat trick and missed a pen he would be demonized on here.

Kvltman

Post by Kvltman »

begeegs wrote: IMO - he needs minutes on the pitch and I don't understand why Wenger isn't playing him. If he isn't going to play him, then why didn't he buy a proper striker.
This is what concerns me, especially as he appears to have no faith in Chamakh. He may have earmarked Gervinho to play up top during the summer as Giroud was the only out and out striker he bought. Not encouraging. I know Gervinho has been finding the net recently but his overall play can still be utterly infuriating to watch.

I have to agree that seeing Giroud missing these kind of chance is very worrying. It's already been touched on that it takes time to adapt to the pace of the English league but some of the chances he has been missing have been bread and butter. I want to give him time but if he keeps missing chances like this he might be the new Kaba Diawara.

Anyway, I'm sure Thierry will be back in January :)

armchair

Post by armchair »

Top Londoner wrote:

Dont have any fukin time ffs. Hes our only striker. FFS :banghead:
Everybody knew DB10 was quality before he scored. Absolutely NO comparison.

Giroud is not to blame for our situation so no point getting on his back. Wenker has yet again screwed us royally leaving us bereft in the goalkeeping and goalscoring depts. Prick. :banghead:

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

Top Londoner wrote:Same peeps were probably calling for Jenks to be loaned out to Yeovil.
Remember when DB10 scored his first goal, after what, seven games?
His heart nearly burst through his chest and the rest is history
At least this bloke has netted before his seventh game.
S'pose if he bagged a hat trick and missed a pen he would be demonized on here.
With all due respect fella that is a complete shite comparison. Dennis Bergkamp was a top, top international footballer who happened to be playing as a CF for Inter in a system that didn't suit him. He'd already proved his quality at top international tournaments in Europe and was an undoubted star, stifled by a team and a style that didn't suit him

Olivier Giroud is a guy who nobody had heard of more than a year ago who has been plying his trade in one country, most of the time for provincial clubs and with a modest goalscoring ratio

Comparing the two after 7 games is not valid IMO. Dennis Bergkamp oozed class in every thing he did. When Giroud goes on to score 15-20 goals every season, has numerous assists, wins the player of the year award, becomes one of his country's finest every footballers and scores 100+ for us, then feel free to come back and shoot us all down

Top Londoner

Post by Top Londoner »

So Steve0, just to reiterate my stance, I want the bloke to be given a chance before we all jump on the Babawagon

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

Top Londoner wrote:So Steve0, just to reiterate my stance, I want the bloke to be given a chance before we all jump on the Babawagon
We all want him to be a success mate - even Baba does I'm sure.

I'm just saying where as some strikers have come in and its taken them half a season or so to settle, most of them showed something about them. Can you honestly say that either Bergkamp or Henry looked as poor as Giroud did when they started. They didn't score but you could tell there were players inside them waiting to get out. Giroud worries me because he is paceless and looks like he's completely lost out there.

In the 80s I remember us having players that you knew would NEVER make it - Chapman, Hawley, Hankin etc - and I'm afraid for me this boy looks like he's from the same mould. One paced, awful finishing and no mental strength

Babatunde

Post by Babatunde »

Truly fascinating reading all the excuses here. The same people sucking Cazorla off are reeling off the excuses.
Messi is even mentioned unfavourably!!!! :shock:
They couldn't argue with the Lambert stat, so asked how many Lambert had scored in a CL game. Oh? So how many does Giroud have? Aaaah yes zilch!
Face it, I'm right. Your comically desperate clutching at straws is thoroughly amusing:
"Oh if RVP had stayed and got injured"....ha ha.
I'd sooner have a half season fit RVP than a full season donkey!

People even attempt to absolve Wenger of blame over Chamakh by stating "how can you slate him when he never plays"

LOL

Apparently, I also couldn't slate Park, who I said was shit because I watched him plenty at Monaco.
Course though, I was again wrong there :roll:
Please keep going. The desperation to not yield to reality is wonderful to read trust me...
:lol:

Admire the resilience of the deluded ones!

Babatunde

Post by Babatunde »

Top Londoner wrote:

Agreed. With time, Giroud will hit target from a few yards out.
Give him time, it's not as if he's a striker FFS!
Real fans have patience. Keep the faith.

Clash

Post by Clash »

SteveO 35 wrote:
Top Londoner wrote: Breast feeding from Baba's ample tit I see :rubchin:
Time to get used to the pace and physical nature of the PL game is one thing. Time to hit a fucking barn door when presented with simple goalscoring opportunities (Liverpool away, Sunderland home, today, penalty vs Cov) is another.

Very very worrying
Totally agree!

People saying give him time are acting like we are asking him to play a new sport. We are just asking a 26 yr old professional footballer to be able to hit the target from 8 yards with the same sized ball has played with all his career. Moving to a new country doesnt make that task any harder than it was for him before so I fail to see why we should be giving him time before we criticise his abysmal finishing.

All strikers miss chances but Giroud is just not the quality we should have at Arsenal and its a disgrace that we are buying players like him when there are much better ones available at prices easily affordable to us.

g60gooner

Post by g60gooner »

Babatunde wrote:Truly fascinating reading all the excuses here. The same people sucking Cazorla off are reeling off the excuses.
Messi is even mentioned unfavourably!!!! :shock:
They couldn't argue with the Lambert stat, so asked how many Lambert had scored in a CL game. Oh? So how many does Giroud have? Aaaah yes zilch!
Face it, I'm right. Your comically desperate clutching at straws is thoroughly amusing:
"Oh if RVP had stayed and got injured"....ha ha.
I'd sooner have a half season fit RVP than a full season donkey!

People even attempt to absolve Wenger of blame over Chamakh by stating "how can you slate him when he never plays"

LOL

Apparently, I also couldn't slate Park, who I said was shit because I watched him plenty at Monaco.
Course though, I was again wrong there :roll:
Please keep going. The desperation to not yield to reality is wonderful to read trust me...
:lol:

Admire the resilience of the deluded ones!