Boxing Thread: Mayweather vs Canelo, Haye etc

It's all a load of Cannonballs in here! This is the virtual Arsenal pub where you can chat about anything except football. Be warned though, like any pub, the content may not always be suitable for everyone.
northbankbren

Boxing Thread: Mayweather vs Canelo, Haye etc

Post by northbankbren »

Great night of boxing tomorrow as money mayweather takes on arguably his toughest fight to date against the Mexican Saul Alvarez. Mayweather going up in weight Alvarez coming down. Credit to floyd for taking on the best opponent out there for him at this time, should be very interesting. Will the weight advantage be a burden for Alvarez?

I think he's the only one out there capable of beating mayweather at this moment in time, but will need his best performance to date. He needs to jump on floyd from the start and put him under pressure every round to have a chance. I'd love to see Saul win. But think it'll be typical floyd, just too hard to hit and the speed will be the key.

I'm going floyd on points.

Check out the build up here
http://www.boxnation.com/boxing-matches ... o-alvarez/

Rosie_titters

Re: Mayweather vs Canelo

Post by Rosie_titters »

Sorry to go off topic, Bren

But can George Groves beat Carl Froch :rubchin:

I know your a fan of George, and you were correct in telling us all a a couple of years back, that George would be a champion.

But surely he is no match at his moment in time for Carl Froch :box: :box:

northbankbren

Post by northbankbren »

I think he can mate. It will take a perfect game plan though. On the back foot and countering for 12 rounds, pure boxing. He'll be walking into frochs hands literally if he gets into a brawl with him. He'll need his chin to be at his best, and it'll be interesting to see how his power effects frochs very tough chin, but George has become very strong over the last couple of years. I think George is capable of out boxing him, but he'll have to stick to a very strict gameplan. Froch himself is clearly worried about this by already calling out George to fight him and not "run" for 12 rounds.

Should be a great fight either way!

Rosie_titters

Post by Rosie_titters »

yeah a good few fights coming up,

I think Mayweather will win again,
then we've got the Haye v Fury fight, i am pointing out the obvious i can't see Haye losing, Fury has always had a suspect chin, and think Haye will have too much class. Can see a stoppage in this one

Then Froch v Groves, I thought Froch all the way, but what you've said Bren, who knows George might do it, But i feel Froch's experience should see him through on points

:box: :box: :box: :box:

northbankbren

Post by northbankbren »

Stick a few quid at 25/1 on maywether Canelo a draw. :box:

Rosie agree froch has to be big favourite, this is George's first step into the world class level, and who else can test George's level better. This is the big one. Adam Booth is a big player in this too, and I think overall groves has more potential than David haye ever has for booth, and booth knows it. Hence how selective George's fights have been over the last 3 years. George will be a world champ that's for sure.

Goose

Post by Goose »

Mayweather wins on points for me.

Haye beats fury and Froch beats groves IMO.

I have a boxing fest weekend coming up as soon as I get back from a lads holiday. On the Friday night i am working the corner for a pro (and good friend) fighting the midlands area champ with a view to getting a shot at the British title. Sat morning head up to Manchester for Haye v Fury then get up early Sunday to get to York hall to do another corner on a Sunday afternoon. Mrs Goose will not be happy :box:

QuartzGooner

Post by QuartzGooner »

Floyd Mayweather is too slick and slippery for Canelo, points win for Floyd.

Haye too fast for Fury, win by late stoppage.
Did anyone else see Fury training on Sky Sports?
Throwing old railway sleepers into a pile, gut bulging through his T-Shirt?

Froch has the edge over Groves in speed, accuracy, lateral movement and savvy.
Points win for Froch, but Groves to have a couple of good rounds around 4th and 5th.

Good luck Goose.

Rosie_titters

Post by Rosie_titters »

northbankbren wrote:Stick a few quid at 25/1 on maywether Canelo a draw. :box:

Rosie agree froch has to be big favourite, this is George's first step into the world class level, and who else can test George's level better. This is the big one. Adam Booth is a big player in this too, and I think overall groves has more potential than David haye ever has for booth, and booth knows it. Hence how selective George's fights have been over the last 3 years. George will be a world champ that's for sure.

Bren, reports coming through Groves has split from Adam Booth :shock: :shock: no news yet on why they have split

Rosie_titters

Post by Rosie_titters »

HAYE V FURY - OFF, :banghead: :banghead:

Haye has pulled out due to a cut above the eye, due to sparring....

i am a big Haye fan and thought he would cruise this fight, not to sure now :rubchin: :rubchin:

He said last week, his sparring partners could beat Fury, looks like on of them has a done a good job on him as well. when they do finally get it on. Fury should work the eye :box: :box:

Goose

Post by Goose »

Rosie_titters wrote:HAYE V FURY - OFF, :banghead: :banghead:

Haye has pulled out due to a cut above the eye, due to sparring....

i am a big Haye fan and thought he would cruise this fight, not to sure now :rubchin: :rubchin:

He said last week, his sparring partners could beat Fury, looks like on of them has a done a good job on him as well. when they do finally get it on. Fury should work the eye :box: :box:
Haye has let the fans down badly. He must of cut his eye around 7 days ago and only just now let's people know.

I only changed my hotel booking to one that could not be cancelled as the risk of the fight being cancelled reduces as the heavy sparring finishes 2 weeks before the fight.

Not impressed :banghead:

QuartzGooner

Post by QuartzGooner »

Have had a tip that New Cross Heavyweight Dominic Akinlade is one to watch.
Has apparently been holding his own in the gym against top opposition.

Seems old to just be getting going at age 33, but in the crazy world of Heavyweight Boxing almost anything is possible.

http://news.boxrec.com/news/2013/debuta ... c-akinlade