Swiss 'Cygan' strikes again

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
goonermc

Swiss 'Cygan' strikes again

Post by goonermc »

How many times this year will Senderos cost us. How the hell this bloke plays for the Arsenal i'll never know. Even when he's played above himself, which is STILL sub standard i hasten to add, he's still an accident waiting to happen. I'm SICK and TIRED of this 'footballer' giving the opposition a head start, it only proves how good Kolo and the rest of the team are that they manage to compensate for Swiss 'Cygan' for the majority of matches. Surely Arsene cannot perservere with this poor excuse for a defender, i'm one to give everyone a chance, hence an argument about Theo with an impatient 'fan' at the sp#rs match, but come on, Senderos has had more than his fair share of chances. If i was Johan Djourou watching these performances from Senderos i would start to question my own ability, am i really worse than this shower??. If Arsene persists with Swiss 'Cygan' ahead of Djourou, then all i can say is Get Well Soon Mr. Gallas!!.

tenementfunster5

Post by tenementfunster5 »

Amen to that. Senderos is clumsy, nervous, not comfortable with the ball at his feet and cannot read the game. He is hopeless. Mr Wenger continued to play Cygan when all could see he wassn't up to it and i fear he will do the same with Phil. We will not go close to winning the league with this clown in the side GET HIM OUT !

Get well soon Billy.

Devon Gooner

Post by Devon Gooner »

Yeh he does give you that heart in mouth feeling when he has a forward closing him down but i dont think we can just blame him today i thought we looked a bit ordinary in all departments at times until of course, Henryyyyyyyyyyyyyy!

Wayno

Post by Wayno »

Totally agree, I cannot understand why he makes it into any Arsenal team let alone the first team. The rest of the team are comfortable with the ball at their feet, this fumbling bafoon is nothing more than Sunday pub league standard. Wake up Wenger surely you can see how useless he is.

mojokickin

Post by mojokickin »

:shock: get well soon gallas. get well soon... hes the missin link...

elpelsarmy

Post by elpelsarmy »

Whilst i agree that i cannot wait for Gallas to get fit and back in the side its a bit strong to call Phil a "fumbling buffon" and " a sunday pub side footballer"!! Its just confidence with him at the moment thats all and while were all slagging him off hes not going to get it back is he? Have we all forgotton the Champions league run last year and in the premiership when he was superb, full of confidence and had that Tony Adams like "Thou shalt not pass" about him? He HAS got what it takes to be a top class defender, he just needs to get some more experience and get his confidence back so lay off him, hes definately NOT another Cygan!!

Gooneroonie

Post by Gooneroonie »

Comments are far too harsh for my liking. He is no Gallas, but is still relatively young and has made some very important tackles recently... his heading has also imprtoved lots. We need to stick together not start slating our own players.

Rilo II

Post by Rilo II »

Senderos is quality. He has shaky moments which, admittedly are a bit too regular. However, looking past that he is a quality defender. I have complete faith when he's in the team. Obviously he's no Gallas, but for when big Will is out, I'd much rather Phillipe than Djourou.
I know you can't judge a player by one performance, but take the Liverpool FA cup game. Senderos was a rock throughout, which is not uncomman.

He's a great player who as mentioned already, is maybe a little short of confidence. I think people should get off his back, and notice that the majority of his game is spot on, rather than focusing on the negatives, because they are few and far between, and given time will be sorted.

Metioning him in the same breath as Pascal is well out of order

exiled in notts

Post by exiled in notts »

A lot of Senderos' problems with giving away pens and getting sent off might have something to do with referees and their aversion to the Arsenal shirt. OK, so he was all over that Boro player like a cheap suit on Saturday, but how come knackers like Gary Chuckle at Scumchester Utd are allowed to get way with committing common assault inside the box every other week? Craven referees who are just plain scared of offending Ferguson, that's how.

I know Senderos can be error prone, but I've seen him have some fairly solid games too. Granted I'd prefer to see Gallas and Djourou in the side before him, but Pascal Cygan he ain't. Whilst Senderos may be a bit vulnerable to pace when players get goal-side of him, Cygan used to turn with all the speed and grace of a cross-channel ferry.

goonermc

Post by goonermc »

Senderos' best performances tend to come when the Arsenal are(occasionally) under pressure, when he hasn't time to think, such as the Chavski match. It seems to me that when he has time on the ball, or time for a clearance, he panics. If it's a case of all hands to the pump you could count on him, but when the Arsenal are on top in a game i don't think he offers anything, i know his first job is defending but so is Kolo's or Billy's but it doesn't stop them contributing going forward. I would love to see Phil come good and i hope he does but i won't be holding my breath. C'MON U GUNNERS

northbankbren

Post by northbankbren »

[quote="Rilo II"]Senderos is quality. He has shaky moments which, admittedly are a bit too regular. However, looking past that he is a quality defender. I have complete faith when he's in the team. Obviously he's no Gallas, but for when big Will is out, I'd much rather Phillipe than Djourou.
I know you can't judge a player by one performance, but take the Liverpool FA cup game. Senderos was a rock throughout, which is not uncomman.

He's a great player who as mentioned already, is maybe a little short of confidence. I think people should get off his back, and notice that the majority of his game is spot on, rather than focusing on the negatives, because they are few and far between, and given time will be sorted.

Metioning him in the same breath as Pascal is well out of order[/quote]

Totally agree he's still young and has a lot to learn, he had a great world cup along side djourou for the swiss before he got injured. He is lacking confidence but this is something that only comes with games. I agree Gallas is a better defender but he has years more experiance. Senderos is defenatly one for the future but you don't get better by sitting on the bench. Wenger didn't give time Tony Adams number for no reason, there is great potential in phill and hopfully we see the best of him in the comming months and years. Senderos is twice the player was and is still only 21!

northbankbren

Post by northbankbren »

meant he was twice the player cygan was obviously not big tony!

goonermc

Post by goonermc »

North bank bren, what your saying is Swiss 'Cygan' is only young(21) and he's one for the future so we should give him time. I agree completely as i've been saying for weeks now that this youngster Fabregas will come good in the end as he's ONLY 19, and Clichy, What's all that about?? he's 21 for god sake!!. As for Diaby and Denilson, don't get me started. These kids are shit, why we didn't make a bid for Steed Malbranque before the Pig Shitters got him i'll never know. :roll: :roll: :roll: and i would never mention the Legend that is Tony Adams, the Arsenal Captain at 21 in the SAME BREATH as Senderos........

liam bradys left foot

Post by liam bradys left foot »

dont mean to worry anyone but has mr wenger checked that it was pascal cygan that went to villareal and not swiss muppet instead ?
just a thought :lol:

Rilo II

Post by Rilo II »

Not being funny goonermc, but that reply was bollocks.
How many world class centre backs can you name who are/were at the top of their game by the age of 21? Not many.

Flair players can reach their peak very young, but defenders need more time and expreience to develop.

I'm sure most people know what Senderos is capable of. I think he is very unfairly treated by a lot of Arsenal fans (I've had this arguement with people in the ground a couple of times this season). Yes he does make mistakes and isn't great under pressure, but it's not very often that he has a bad game. Things he does wrong are noticeable because they potentially put us into a lot of trouble, but as I said, these are few and far between. Obviously we don't want silly mistakes costing us points, but I think he has so much ability and so much potential that he has to be given time to iron out these problems. Once he has he will be a genuine contender for a regular place, even with everyone fit.