Where it all went wrong

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
supergeorgegraham

Where it all went wrong

Post by supergeorgegraham »

Well it went wrong with Ox-Chamberlain, Walcott, etc etc. We bought players who were young and waited for them to reach their brilliant potential. On this of all seasons our very very well paid stars have failed. We all agree that this is our best chance of winning the Premier League but the form of the above 2 who should be amazing by now is one reason we are failing.
To be fair Chambers has been messed about by switching positions and still looks like one for the future but the fact it our ones for the future have failed.
Yes Ozil and Sanchez form has dipped but that's ok when other players step up but none are.
Delle Ali at Spurs has made more impact this Season then Ox had done in his career. Unless these players produce something special for the remainder of the season then our best chance to win the Premier League will be over.
I remember a few years ago Arsenal produced a slogan saying Its Our Time. Well it's about time It's Our Time but that depends on the potential being reached of our chosen ones.

Natural Born Gooner

Re: Where it all went wrong

Post by Natural Born Gooner »

Never seen anything about brilliant potential with Walcott. He had phenomenal pace when younger and that was it. Totally average footballing skill and the only reason there was any hype about him was due to him being taken to the WC 2006.

The sooner he fuck's off the better...... (and soon it'll be his cue for him running his mouth before Man U and Spud's games about us being mentally prepared :roll: )

Sean

Post by Sean »

It didn't help that TOF got rid of the Invincibles so quickly to embark on the failed Project Youth. It's clear that the senior pros ran the dressing room and guided the younger players when we were successful.

TOF broke all that up and now we have the blind leading the blind. He won't tolerate another Adams, Keown or Wright at the club anymore.

GoonerMuzz

Post by GoonerMuzz »

AW's indulgence and supposed ability to nurture young talent is exactly where it all went wrong, oh and his interference with the Academy and under 21's.... :banghead:

StuartL
Location: It’s a new dawn, a new day a new life, for me and I’m feeling good

Post by StuartL »

But Wenker has the "best squad ever"

We are "only 1 or 2 per cent away"

I for one am happy to judge him in may

:barscarf:

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

1. Moving stadium
2. Dein leaving
3. Kroenke taking over as majority shareholder
4. The last 3 contracts handed to TO1AW
5. Selling Ashley Cole which opened the door for every major departure since

Jumpers For Goalposts

Post by Jumpers For Goalposts »

It all went wrong on 15 May 2004 when we won the League unbeaten.

I really believe that Wenger changed for the worse when we achieved that brilliant unbeaten season. He became a "Made Man" as The Mafia say, thinking he can do no wrong. And, more importantly, it changed everyone's attitude towards him.

armchair

Post by armchair »

Jumpers For Goalposts wrote:It all went wrong on 15 May 2004 when we won the League unbeaten.

I really believe that Wenger changed for the worse when we achieved that brilliant unbeaten season. He became a "Made Man" as The Mafia say, thinking he can do no wrong. And, more importantly, it changed everyone's attitude towards him.
100%
Thats when the shit started. And a full four years before Kronkes reign.

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

If you believe John Cross then at points during that unbeaten season and just after it, we were on the brink of not being able to pay the wages owing to the buy up of the land to buy the bowl and the rest of the project costs.

I still ask the question - was it all worth it?

In our last season at the THOF we had one of the best strikers in world football, an inspirational captain who was a World Cup winner, Cole, Campbell and a number of other players the likes of which we haven't seen in the decade since

Ah, but of course, how could I forget? Football's changed hasn't it - that old chestnut that gets thrown up to justify the stadium move even though its a meaningless, bald statement

Sean

Post by Sean »

Good shout. TOF believed he could do no wrong from that day forward. His ego mushroomed. We went nine years without a trophy and soon enough it will be twelve years since we won that 2004 title. We're turning into Liverpool. The only change with TOF being one for the (much) worse; sideways football with injury-prone midgets. That shit does not work in the PL.

With those Invincibles in he could get away with saying 'Just play your game' every match. That's a long time ago now and many headless chickens and fannies have been in our team since. TOF got rid of any backbone that was at the club.

If only we won the CL in 2006. He may have left.

g88ner

Post by g88ner »

SteveO 35 wrote:If you believe John Cross then at points during that unbeaten season and just after it, we were on the brink of not being able to pay the wages owing to the buy up of the land to buy the bowl and the rest of the project costs.

I still ask the question - was it all worth it?

In our last season at the THOF we had one of the best strikers in world football, an inspirational captain who was a World Cup winner, Cole, Campbell and a number of other players the likes of which we haven't seen in the decade since

Ah, but of course, how could I forget? Football's changed hasn't it - that old chestnut that gets thrown up to justify the stadium move even though its a meaningless, bald statement
I've not seen the numbers, but surely there must be economic sense in building a new stadium or Arsenal wouldn't have done it, Liverpool and Everton wouldn't have explored the option and Sp*rs wouldn't be building one.

But in any case, it looks to me like plenty of money is there to spend and has been for a while. It's Wenger who is the problem, not the stadium.

subtleasaheadbutt

Post by subtleasaheadbutt »

SteveO 35 wrote:1. Moving stadium
2. Dein leaving
3. Kroenke taking over as majority shareholder
4. The last 3 contracts handed to TO1AW
5. Selling Ashley Cole which opened the door for every major departure since
I think this one showed when the club became more concerned about cash, and may have f'ed up with the new stadium move. DD made the decision about the 5 large for Cole and DD also got Kroenke on board. So he shares some blame

Almunia is a clown

Post by Almunia is a clown »

When the new stadium project costs gave Wenger an excuse to bollox everything up :banghead:
Last edited by Almunia is a clown on Sat Mar 05, 2016 11:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

donaldo71

Post by donaldo71 »

Jumpers For Goalposts wrote:It all went wrong on 15 May 2004 when we won the League unbeaten.

Absolutely spot on.Wenger believed he was untouchable.That is when he became a dictator.He was right everyone else was wrong.Can you imagine Barcelona Real Madrid or Bayern letting a manager behave like Wenger did.He is the boss of the man who decides his future.

Also Fisman and the board selling to Kroenke and not Usmanov.A disastrous move.Did no one at the club do any research on the way Kroenke's clubs operated in America.

Arsenal Till I Die

Post by Arsenal Till I Die »

Paris 2006 is where it all went wrong.

While I agree that he became a "made man" with the club in 2004 after the invincibles season, he still toyed with the Real Madrid idea and I think had we have won the CL in '06 he would have left and we would have got a new manager and built on from there.