The Merged George Graham Superthread!

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
DB10GOONER

Re: The Merged George Graham Superthread!

Post by DB10GOONER »

goonersid wrote:
Fri Dec 30, 2022 10:46 am
DB10GOONER wrote:
Thu Dec 29, 2022 4:43 pm
A11M11 wrote:
Thu Dec 29, 2022 9:39 am
SteveO from 2017 ::-- people lauding GG for all he did for the club (and rightly so by the way) but if Arsenal dared to appoint a manager these days who didn't come with extensive experience of managing in Europe, people would be up in arms.

Arteta anyone ?
In fairness alot of us were up in arms. I have no hesitation in admitting I did not want him at all, even though I rated him as a superb DM for us for two seasons until his legs went.

I still do not buy into him as a top manager - yet anyway.

But this season, after his disastrous end to last season, he has so far done brilliantly. But I also am pragmatic and realistic enough to know part of that is down to other top teams underperforming and going through transition etc. That's not me slagging off Martinez-Lite or denigrating what he's done, it's just the facts.
I agree that it's too soon to call Arteta a top manager.
I do think you are being a bit harsh in crediting his success to other clubs being in transition.
If that's the case, then the mousers success was down to utd and ourselves being in transition.
I think the number of games won so far this season is in no way connected to other clubs in transition or anything else other than ourselves playing at a level we haven't seen since the early wenger era.
Can we sustain it? I really hope so and I'm becoming more convinced that we could be witnessing the beginning of a great new chapter in the club's history.
In saying that, I'm sure I've put the jinx on us :cry:
2-0 to Brighton and the start of a 5 game losing streak :lol:
The minute I wrote it I thought "someone will completely misunderstand that" ... :roll: :lol:

Note my use of "part of". Nowhere did I say it was completely down to that.

Also, the victims* winning the league was even more influenced by other clubs than our current position, which is why they never won it before or since. Only soccer fanboys buy into the Stupid Teeth is a genius bullshit. He spent 500 million to win that league and still needed citeh and Manure to be shit and a rule change ffs.