The Merged George Graham Superthread!

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
NickF

Re: The Merged George Graham Superthread!

Post by NickF »

DB10GOONER wrote:
Also GG claims he had a secret agreement in place with the Board to the effect he was leaving in May 1995 with a decent financial package and the Board used the Bung scandal as an excuse to offload him without compensation.
Interesting he said that as I always thought that he would have probably left at the end of the season anyway as his time was coming to and end. It is a shame our current manager doesn't know when to leave. Personally I always have found memories of GG's time in charge.

Herd

Post by Herd »

I dont think I can adequately describe what George did for us .
He gave us pride
He gave us swagger
He gave us heart
And then he gave us the title in dramatic fashion ,and then did it again !
People talk about wengers lack of budget well it wasnt as small as Georges when he started and he won the league with Martin "Zico "Hayes Perry Groves and Nial Quinn as an integral part of the team !

StuartL
Location: It’s a new dawn, a new day a new life, for me and I’m feeling good

Post by StuartL »

Herd wrote:I dont think I can adequately describe what George did for us .
He gave us pride
He gave us swagger
He gave us heart
People talk about wengers lack of budget well it wasnt as small as Georges when he started and he won the league with Martin "Zico "Hayes Perry Groves and Nial Quinn as an integral part of the team !
Bould, Dixon. Wimterburn, Marwood all low budget, super quality, even Smudger was about 1m and was golden boot winner twice I think.

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

He gave us pride
He gave us swagger
He gave us heart
All 100% true - sadly in the latter years he gave us midfielders like Jensen, Morrow, Hillier, Selley etc and bought a load of fucking no-marks like Eddie McOnetrick, Colin Pates and Pal Lydersen.

In amongst those final 2-3 years of some of the most shite football known to man I would say that he could still get us revved up and organised for a big cup game though

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

SteveO 35 wrote:
He gave us pride
He gave us swagger
He gave us heart
All 100% true - sadly in the latter years he gave us midfielders like Jensen, Morrow, Hillier, Selley etc and bought a load of fucking no-marks like Eddie McOnetrick, Colin Pates and Pal Lydersen.

In amongst those final 2-3 years of some of the most shite football known to man I would say that he could still get us revved up and organised for a big cup game though
No one is saying he wasn't past it in those last couple seasons, SteveO. I think he knew it himself, thus the "secret" agreement that he was leaving in May 1995. I think he knew he had done as much as he could with us. He had turned league champions into a cup team. But in a 9 year spell he won us 6 major trophies and came within one game of being the original Invincibles and within one game of a second Double for the club - and at a time when he actually really had fuck all cash to spend and when Liverpool were an almost unstoppable juggernaut.

Herd

Post by Herd »

Sorry mate had to delete all of that. The word "allegedly" isn't a free pass for possibly libelous speculation. If a party involved has said it publicly we can quote it, but we can't post rumours of financial misdealings etc on here.

-DB10

flash gunner

Post by flash gunner »

He gave us pride
He gave us swagger
He gave us heart
Agree with all of that

Herd

Post by Herd »

Herd wrote:Sorry mate had to delete all of that. The word "allegedly" isn't a free pass for possibly libelous speculation. If a party involved has said it publicly we can quote it, but we can't post rumours of financial misdealings etc on here.

-DB10
Fair enough cunty bollix dont want to get us in the poo ! :shock: :lol: :barscarf:

While im on Ive been meaning to ask what the Irish contingent think of Mrs Browns Boys only most I know over here think its insulting although 1 or 2 find it funny !

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

Herd wrote:
Herd wrote:Sorry mate had to delete all of that. The word "allegedly" isn't a free pass for possibly libelous speculation. If a party involved has said it publicly we can quote it, but we can't post rumours of financial misdealings etc on here.

-DB10
Fair enough cunty bollix dont want to get us in the poo ! :shock: :lol: :barscarf:

While im on Ive been meaning to ask what the Irish contingent think of Mrs Browns Boys only most I know over here think its insulting although 1 or 2 find it funny !
Mrs Browns Boys is chronically unfunny. Just really shit badly written lame attempt at comedy. Not really insulting though as we Oirish can laugh at ourselves (Father Ted anyone??!!). :lol:

Having said that if you call my mate Paulo "Paddy" you are sleeping on the concrete. :lol: :wink:

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

Herd wrote:

-DB10

BTW I have heard what you wrote there before but it would get us fucked as there is no proof.

Herd

Post by Herd »

BTW I have heard what you wrote there before but it would get us fucked as there is no proof.
Fair nuff I thought alledgedy shielded u from such shit but since its not actually out there I can understand its very thin ice !

Red Snapper

Post by Red Snapper »

DB10GOONER wrote:
Herd wrote:

-DB10

Mrs Browns Boys is chronically unfunny. Just really shit badly written lame attempt at comedy. Not really insulting though as we Oirish can laugh at ourselves (Father Ted anyone??!!). :lol:

Having said that if you call my mate Paulo "Paddy" you are sleeping on the concrete. :lol: :wink:
Mrs Brown's Boys is a desperately unfunny attempt at slapstick humour delivered in a style that is better suited to CBBC. It appeals to the lowest common denominator which is the only way I can explain why it's so popular. Father Ted was comedy genius which still stands up twenty years later.
P.S. I'm not Oirish but my wife is so I can have an opinion on this!
P.P.S. Am I the only one who didn't find Victoria Wood remotely funny?

augie

Post by augie »

Brendan O'Carroll is a w**ker and I don't find any of his stuff funny to be honest :roll: :box:

Almunia is a clown

Post by Almunia is a clown »

DB10GOONER wrote:Just started reading GG autobiography "The Glory and the Grief: The Life of George Graham".

George tells a very different version of the Bung scandal than Arsenal or the media told. He makes some valid points about how David Dein, P.Diddy Hollywood and Ken Friar hung him out to dry without trial or even hearing his side of it. All based on the word of three anonymous people at IK Start. Two of which then went on to contradict each other's evidence at the resultant inquiry.

|
Always suspected that the board stitched up GG, they wanted him out for a while, even going back to the '89 title win. With Grahams 3 year contract up, he wanted double his wages to sign again, he even tipped off a known journo giving him the exclusive if the board refused his demands. The board capitulated but always wanted their own back afterwards. :twisted:

The lack of transfer funds given to GG after the 2 league titles tells it's own story, the bung affair was the opportunity they had been waiting for.

The league were looking for a fall guy & Arsenal wanted rid. The league were more than happy as they had no intention of seriously dealing with the bungs, since then most top managers of the time have been implicated of doing the same as GG did. :banghead: :banghead:

North Bank bond scheme, moving to Wembley, the list goes on..........................! Our board of directors are nothing but a disgrace :cussing:

mcdowell42

Post by mcdowell42 »

Red Snapper wrote:
DB10GOONER wrote:
Herd wrote:

-DB10

Mrs Brown's Boys is a desperately unfunny attempt at slapstick humour delivered in a style that is better suited to CBBC. It appeals to the lowest common denominator which is the only way I can explain why it's so popular. Father Ted was comedy genius which still stands up twenty years later.
P.S. I'm not Oirish but my wife is so I can have an opinion on this!
P.P.S. Am I the only one who didn't find Victoria Wood remotely funny?

Mate if you are married you don't have an opinion :wink: