Modern Football Bol**cks

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
BFG4

Re: Modern Football Bol**cks

Post by BFG4 »

BFG4 wrote:
Tue Sep 06, 2022 10:58 am
xisstential wrote:
Tue Sep 06, 2022 8:07 am
This Antony is the new media darling....I saw about 5 headline articles with his name in them.....how when he hit the town he heard the same roar he heard at the ground, how he got goosebumps as he saw the net "shaking" after his tap in. And that badge kissing, he looked like he was trying to eat it....after being at the club for 10 minutes??? Got all the makings of someone we are going to loathe :rubchin: :cry: :box:
The badge kissing thing is something I'll never understand in modern day football. The game is full of mercenaries whose last thought when joining a club is how much they love a club. Fabregas constantly kissed the crest then behaved like a prick to get his Barca move before ending up at one of the scummiest clubs in the world.

g88ner

Post by g88ner »

Obviously I understand why he’s done it but Potter abandoning Brighton after 5 games of the season is pretty rotten. Didn’t deserve that at all.

Nos89

Post by Nos89 »

Why do we, as fans, expect managers to be loyal to clubs, when clubs don't repay loyalty?
In most walks of working life, when a bigger organisation headhunts a person with greater opportunity and wages, they would move. I'm sure Brighton will be reasonably compensated.

g88ner

Post by g88ner »

Nos89 wrote:
Thu Sep 08, 2022 1:02 pm
Why do we, as fans, expect managers to be loyal to clubs, when clubs don't repay loyalty?
In most walks of working life, when a bigger organisation headhunts a person with greater opportunity and wages, they would move. I'm sure Brighton will be reasonably compensated.
I don’t expect loyalty mate; which is kind of sad really.

How do you “reasonably“ compensate losing a quality manager 6 games into a season? I really doubt Chelsea will be able to compensate for that at all.

Anyway, crazy to think it’s been 26 years or so since Arsene Wenger delayed joining Arsenal so he could see out his contract with Grampus Eight.It’s a rare quality that. I never doubted he’d break his contract with Arsenal either…. Although that obviously became a curse in the end :lol:

Retro Gunner

Post by Retro Gunner »

g88ner wrote:
Thu Sep 08, 2022 2:18 pm
Nos89 wrote:
I don’t expect loyalty mate; which is kind of sad really.

How do you “reasonably“ compensate losing a quality manager 6 games into a season? I really doubt Chelsea will be able to compensate for that at all.

Anyway, crazy to think it’s been 26 years or so since Arsene Wenger delayed joining Arsenal so he could see out his contract with Grampus Eight.It’s a rare quality that. I never doubted he’d break his contract with Arsenal either…. Although that obviously became a curse in the end :lol:

Fucking hell, nor did I. Who'd leave an incredibly highly paid position in a place that has become your own personal fiefdom, where on-field success isn't expected and you are accountable to no one and for nothing. Don't convince yourself that he hung around and wouldn't break his contract for noble reasons...he was a totally selfish, ego driven narcissist and it was all about him. Used to make me roll up when he gave it large about how he'd turned down the likes of Real and Barca. Of course he turned them down, he was no mug, he knew he'd last no longer than one season at any truly ambitious big club.

As you say, a curse indeed.

IW8Goalmachine

Post by IW8Goalmachine »

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

Nos89 wrote:
Not if they nose dive and get relegated mate. :|

Nos89

Post by Nos89 »

Been looking at the transfer market website and apparently the charity shield is now called the English Super up. Given we've won it 16 times I don't mind it being added to the trophy cabinet list.
Had we not been banned from European competition and the European cup had champions League rules, under George Graham we would have qualified to play in it 6 times and without doubt would have won it a couple of times with that squad and that manager. If only eh?

Nos89

Post by Nos89 »

OneBardGooner wrote:
Sat Sep 10, 2022 3:36 pm
Nos89 wrote:
Not if they nose dive and get relegated mate. :|
Wouldn't be surprised if they did that. They got enough money in to get a decent manager. Not fond of Brighton tbh, ever since they screwed up winning the 1983 Cup final. I've always viewed them as being allied with the spuds for some reason.

Gunnerz4life

Post by Gunnerz4life »

https://www.skysports.com/football/news ... suggestion

:banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

It didn't take long for this out of touch mug to try to Americanize English football. The trouble is that there will be a few owners including ours who would think it's a great idea.

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

Gunnerz4life wrote:
Wed Sep 14, 2022 2:01 pm

It didn't take long for this out of touch mug to try to Americanize English football. The trouble is that there will be a few owners including ours who would think it's a great idea.
This type of nonsense really grinds my shit. American sport is mostly boring shit. And a lot of that is because of the structure of the sports. All Star games? Fuck off. Hey I've an idea, let's also divide the PL into two seperate leagues and have a conference thing and a fucking superbowl and have franchises that move city when it suits them. Again, fuck off. :censored:

It equally irritates me when we get mongs saying why can't we make football more like rugby. We can't because we don't want it to turn into a boring fucking snoozefest ffs. :roll:

I've found that the more they've tried to "improve" and "modernise" football, the shitter it has become as a watchable sport. :roll:

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

I know, next step let's have a European super league and - oh, hang on.... :roll: :lol:

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

Gunnerz4life wrote:
    Wed Sep 14, 2022 2:01 pm

The Money grabbing whoreofacun.t hasn't been owner for more than 3 months and being a typical yank he's already trying to take charge, fuck him and his ideas :box:

Sky:

"Todd Boehly wants to launch a Premier League North versus South All-Star match, but Liverpool boss Jurgen Klopp was less than impressed with the suggestion, questioning whether anyone wants to see it.

The new Chelsea chairman has revealed plans to revolutionise elements of English football, to try to boost broadcasting revenue, including a play-off to determine who goes down and who plays in the Premier League, and an all-star game like the NBA and MLB have.

The Blues' new co-controlling owner, who also owns shares of Los Angeles teams the Dodgers in Major League Baseball and the Lakers in the NBA, told a New York conference he has already floated the idea with Premier League counterparts.

:banghead: :box:

Nos89

Post by Nos89 »

What a bollocks suggestion by Chelsea owner north vs south all stars game. So, basically it'll be Man City vs Arsenal with Harry Kane and Kante in the team.

IW8Goalmachine

Post by IW8Goalmachine »

Nos89 wrote:
    Wed Sep 14, 2022 11:41 pm
    What a bollocks suggestion by Chelsea owner north vs south all stars game. So, basically it'll be Man City vs Arsenal with Harry Kane and Kante in the team.
    It going to happen at some stage.

Bournemouth now about to be purchased by an American.

Arsenal
    Chelsea
    Liverpool
    Man utd
    Villa
    Palace
    Fulham
    Leeds

All with some sort of American ownership.