Modern Football Bol**cks

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
NickF

Re: Modern Football Bol**cks

Post by NickF »

The people of Ukraine are sheltering while bomb are exploding everywhere and getting shot at while trying to escape.

I bet the clapping for one whole minute at the premier league games makes them feel a whole lot better. :roll: :roll:

LeftfootlegendGooner

Post by LeftfootlegendGooner »

NickF wrote:
Mon Mar 07, 2022 10:56 am
The people of Ukraine are sheltering while bomb are exploding everywhere and getting shot at while trying to escape.

I bet the clapping for one whole minute at the premier league games makes them feel a whole lot better. :roll: :roll:
What do you suggest, World War III

NickF

Post by NickF »

LeftfootlegendGooner wrote:
Mon Mar 07, 2022 11:27 am
NickF wrote:

No, but what does clapping actually achieve? What does it do to help the Ukraine people?

LeftfootlegendGooner

Post by LeftfootlegendGooner »

NickF wrote:
Mon Mar 07, 2022 11:32 am
NickF wrote:

No, but what does clapping actually achieve? What does it do to help the Ukraine people?
Well it doesn't harm them for sure and im guessingthat the Ukrainians that live over here would think it respectful.

Maybe fly over there and help out if you're that concerned that that is the only way to help.

No one has given more aid than the brits.

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

NickF wrote:
Mon Mar 07, 2022 11:32 am
NickF wrote:

Even the smallest, smallest of gestures lets them know they are in our thoughts (& prayers?) and so to use the most public of stages and show that, must surely be a good thing.

Let us say for example there was no Public Show of Support in any way at all, are you saying that, that is going to help them feel more or less "Isolated" in the Hell they now find themselves?

The Fact that Premier League games are shown Globally - even in China and North Korea (*) means that even those who are controlled and dictated to by their governments; which is the case in Russia under the current Dictatorship of Putin The Murdering CUNToFaPedo stand a better a chance of 'seeing' what is going on outside their Closed Countries than if Nothing was done.

It is the same as players taking the knee - There are those who say it has outstayed its welcome and purpose, but surely if it is done before each globally Broadcast Game - Then it is a "Reminder", so that it doesn't become forgotten and fade into the ethers or wherever?

For both the Players and Fans to unite and demonstrate their solidarity on a Live World Wide Broadcast further strengthens and re-affirms that what Russia has done and is doing is WRONG!

I wonder how many Ukrainian Football fans (Young and Old) will have seen their favourite English Team and their Fans show their Support, as well as those who have no interest in Football or Sports. Perhaps it gives them hope and strength?

By televising & broadcasting 60,000 + people in one place at the same time clapping and cheering is a Demonstrably Good Way for both the Players and the Fans to unite even if only for a brief few moments and show the Ukranian people they are Not Forgotten and that We Care.

Another example, is how we still hold a 2 minute silence on Remembrance Day. I live in small coastal town - The main road is Blocked Off and Poppy Wreaths are laid at a small Cenotaph every year precisely at 12Noon. A bugler plays The Last Post and believe me - I always stand there along with numerous others: head bowed, shivers right through me and tears in my eyes, because I know 101% without the sacrifice those many millions made in the giving of their lives, we would not have the Freedom and Lives we have this very day.

We Remember, so that They Shall Not Be Forgotten

We are letting the Ukrainian people know in the best way we can (besides donations etc) that They Are Not Forgotten.

(*) It would not surprise me in the least if the Chinese and North Korean governments edited the beginning of games to avoid their people wondering and asking questions etc. But that is No Excuse to Not Do It.

arrgee

Post by arrgee »

Double banked touch line advertising. WTF? Must pi$$ advertisers off that fans are there so they can’t have them all over the seats like they did during CoVid times.

wibble

Post by wibble »

They’ve already stopped showing games in China because of the support for Ukraine onebard:

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/60524865.amp

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

Just to upset the couple of soccer fanboys we have on here, and in an effort to tone down the world wide hero worship of the diving fuckpig Fake Ronaldo, here's a little reminder about what type of person he is.... :censored:

https://www.fourfourtwo.com/features/cr ... yn-mayorga

:D :wink:

cameron326

Post by cameron326 »

I don’t have any sympathy with Chelsea. But I am finding all the performance gestures and virtual signalling re. Russia a bit much. To put it bluntly, the vast majority of MPs, media and the British Establishment don’t care that Ukrainians are getting shot at. They care that it’s Russia who is doing the shooting. And they care that the shooting and bombing isn’t in the broad geopolitical or economic interests of the British Establishment/the West/ the EU project. Any state that cared so deeply about civilian deaths wouldn’t have supported the dropping of US bombs in Jraq which probably caused at least 100,000 + civilian deaths, many children among them. Or supported “interventions” in Syria, Afghanistan etc. Or be selling weapons to the Saudis.

cameron326

Post by cameron326 »

I don’t have any sympathy with Chelsea. But I am finding all the performance gestures and virtual signalling re. Russia a bit much. To put it bluntly, the vast majority of MPs, media and the British Establishment don’t care that Ukrainians are getting shot at. They care that it’s Russia who is doing the shooting. And they care that the shooting and bombing isn’t in the broad geopolitical or economic interests of the British Establishment/the West/ the EU project. Any state that cared so deeply about civilian deaths wouldn’t have supported the dropping of US bombs in Jraq which probably caused at least 100,000 + civilian deaths, many children among them. Or supported “interventions” in Syria, Afghanistan etc. Or be selling weapons to the Saudis.

Andrew

Post by Andrew »

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/60828103

"...an FA spokesperson said English football's governing body hopes to have sell-out crowds at both semi-finals.

"This includes tickets for Chelsea supporters for their match against Crystal Palace,""

Later in the same article:

"Meanwhile, the other semi-final between Manchester City and Liverpool is still set to go ahead at Wembley despite no trains running from either city to or from London from 15 to 18 April because of engineering works between Euston and ****** Keynes."

Well, which is it? Do you give a damn about the supporters or not?

I think that we all know the answer...

Gunner Rob

Post by Gunner Rob »

Andrew wrote:
Tue Mar 22, 2022 9:40 am
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/60828103

"...an FA spokesperson said English football's governing body hopes to have sell-out crowds at both semi-finals.

"This includes tickets for Chelsea supporters for their match against Crystal Palace,""

Later in the same article:

"Meanwhile, the other semi-final between Manchester City and Liverpool is still set to go ahead at Wembley despite no trains running from either city to or from London from 15 to 18 April because of engineering works between Euston and ****** Keynes."

Well, which is it? Do you give a damn about the supporters or not?

I think that we all know the answer...
These engineering works have been known about apppRently for THREE years - yet the FA chose to ignore it :roll:

It just sums up how out of touch football administrators are with the real world.
Last couple of years you couldn’t have fans in the grounds. And now when you can you arrange matches for when they can’t get there.
Just play the bloody thing up north somewhere and while you are at it set the kick off time at 3pm (which worked well for about 100 years) so the rest of us don’t have to be subjected to it :D

A11M11

Post by A11M11 »

Joined up thinking ??????

Not here obviously.

Redarmy

Post by Redarmy »

cameron326 wrote:
Tue Mar 15, 2022 6:13 pm
Excellent and intelligent thought provoking post...

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

cameron326 wrote:
Tue Mar 15, 2022 6:13 pm
That figure is wildly innacurate. There is simply no way to know how many civilians might have been killed by US or Coalition forces because of the nature of that war and the different agendas of the people providing the statistics.

Many deaths that are counted as civilian deaths are actually insurgent or terrorist fighters that are found dead after their comrades take their weapons during a retreat. These type of casualties tend to be classified as "civilian" by one side of the war debate. They also often include civilians murdered by terrorist suicide bombers in the total list of "war dead" without categorising them correctly.

There is no doubt the US and Coalition forces killed civilians (both unintentionally and on a couple of occasions intentionally) but the use of surgical and drone strikes as well as SOF troops kept that civilian death toll far below what it could have been.

Also never forget that those interventions in Syria killed thousands of terrorist scum that would otherwise at some point have filtered into Europe to conduct terror attacks. Wiping out ISIS was and still is a hugely important thing.