KROENKE OUT / The Board / Staff etc (merged thread)

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
IW8Goalmachine

Re: KROENKE OUT / The Board / Staff etc (merged thread)

Post by IW8Goalmachine »

Ivodrizzi wrote:
Wed Sep 08, 2021 1:05 pm
i get the potential debate but you dont get greats like wenger very often.united are lucky to have 2 great managers. liverpool idk if u cant group klopp in with paisely.

the club has to be protected against down times with 'potential building moves'.

doesnt forgive them for shocking moves within that time. old rejects, crap contracts to washed up players, relying on youth, flipping managers etc...lot of divergent pathways!
Are you saying that Wenger has been our only great manager? :lol:

Gunner Rob

Post by Gunner Rob »

I wouldn’t call leaving the club in its worst state in 100 years “great”.
The problem with Wenger is that he overstayed his welcome, and plunged the club into a mess that it might not get out of for years or decades to come.

Yes he was a very good manager for the first years of his time here, but he also had the luck to inherit an experienced back 4, and that until Abramovic turned up he only really had Manchester United to beat each year.

There have been two “great” managers at Arsenal - Herbert Chapman who helped to turn the club into the world famous club it became and George Graham who laid the foundations for the modern day successes.

In 1991 Graham won the league with Arsenal only losing 1 match, in 2004 Wenger won with the Invincibles.
Great at the time but that single fewer loss created an inflated myth around Wenger. The club has never challenged for the title since…

Arsenal Till I Die

Post by Arsenal Till I Die »

Gunner Rob wrote:
Fri Sep 10, 2021 2:13 pm
The problem with Wenger is that he overstayed his welcome, and plunged the club into a mess that it might not get out of for years or decades to come.

Yes he was a very good manager for the first years of his time here, but he also had the luck to inherit an experienced back 4, and that until Abramovic turned up he only really had Manchester United to beat each year.

There have been two “great” managers at Arsenal - Herbert Chapman who helped to turn the club into the world famous club it became and George Graham who laid the foundations for the modern day successes.

In 1991 Graham won the league with Arsenal only losing 1 match, in 2004 Wenger won with the Invincibles.
Great at the time but that single fewer loss created an inflated myth around Wenger. The club has never challenged for the title since…
We would have won the league had Eduardo's leg not been snapped to such a degree that the bone was visible. It fucked with the team. Galas crying in the centre circle at full time was odd, and damning, as we were top of the table a few points clear at the time.

That season, up until that point, was going well for us in the league.

Maybe a different manager would have been able to bring the team through that moment, but I don't doubt that it was our title right up until that fateful February afternoon.

Midz

Post by Midz »

George Graham - awesome player, awesome manager. Very rare breed. Such a shame they made an example of him while all the others were doing the same thing at the time.

Love ya, George, you were/are a great!

the playing mantis

Post by the playing mantis »

Gunner Rob wrote:
Fri Sep 10, 2021 2:13 pm

i think this is the most sensible thing you have ever posted rob!

agree with every word.

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

Midz wrote:
Fri Sep 10, 2021 7:58 pm
George Graham - awesome player, awesome manager. Very rare breed. Such a shame they made an example of him while all the others were doing the same thing at the time.

I love George and always will. Wenger was arguably more successful (if you discount the decade and a half without winning the league) and I loved his 98, 02 and 04 teams, but I never warmed to him like I did to George.

It still boils my piss that GG was the only manager done for bungs at a time when (allegedly) Rednose and Clough among many others were all up to their arses in it. :x

The club fucked George over too. In George’s book “The Glory and the Grief” he clearly states that he and the club had agreed that he'd resign in May 95 and go out with a hero's send off and a major compensation package. The PL enquiry gave the club the excuse it needed to sack him and not pay him - and that was after he gave the club the £425,000 bung money plus £40,000 interest on top! :shock:

George will always be my favourite Arsenal manager. He was the one that really rebuilt the club and made us a force again, long before Wenger. And I'm not dissing what Wenger achieved between 98 and 06 at all. But George made us great again. 8)

mcdowell42

Post by mcdowell42 »

🚨⚽️| NEW: Thierry Henry has said on MNF tonight that him and Spotify CEO Daniel Ek are 'here to stay' when asked about an Arsenal takeover in the near future

augie

Post by augie »

GoonerMuzz

Post by GoonerMuzz »

Even if the fine were enough to make Kroenke re-evaluate things I'm not sure much would change this season and if by some miracle Arteta keeps us where we are I'm not sure much would be changed if Ek took over :rubchin:

But in all honesty that 'fine' will end up in dispute for years so no need to panic that uncle Wiggy will be going anywhere soon
Last edited by GoonerMuzz on Tue Nov 30, 2021 6:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

DB10GOONER wrote:
Sat Sep 11, 2021 1:57 am
Midz wrote:
Fri Sep 10, 2021 7:58 pm

I love George and always will. Wenger was arguably more successful (if you discount the decade and a half without winning the league) and I loved his 98, 02 and 04 teams, but I never warmed to him like I did to George.

It still boils my piss that GG was the only manager done for bungs at a time when (allegedly) Rednose and Clough among many others were all up to their arses in it. :x

The club fucked George over too. In George’s book “The Glory and the Grief” he clearly states that he and the club had agreed that he'd resign in May 95 and go out with a hero's send off and a major compensation package. The PL enquiry gave the club the excuse it needed to sack him and not pay him - and that was after he gave the club the £425,000 bung money plus £40,000 interest on top! :shock:

George will always be my favourite Arsenal manager. He was the one that really rebuilt the club and made us a force again, long before Wenger. And I'm not dissing what Wenger achieved between 98 and 06 at all. But George made us great again. 8)
Yes, teams began to actually 'fear' playing us under GG - The Defenders took no prisoners in fair but strong tackles and challenges... The Camaraderie in the squad back then was the best I've ever seen "All For One and One For All" And each and every player Played for the shirt and the Badge/Emblem on the front not the name on the back... :barscarf:

mcdowell42

Post by mcdowell42 »

Arsenal confirming that they will be working on stadium management over the course of the summer to improve what is shall we say dated at the Emirates.

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

mcdowell42 wrote:
Tue Feb 01, 2022 1:50 pm
Arsenal confirming that they will be working on stadium management over the course of the summer to improve what is shall we say dated at the Emirates.
What does that mean? The lack of a trophy? Is that "dated"? :D

LeftfootlegendGooner

Post by LeftfootlegendGooner »

DB10GOONER wrote:
Tue Feb 01, 2022 4:31 pm
mcdowell42 wrote:
Tactics, gameplan, in game management, training, medical department, transfer dealings, player scouting,player recruitment, need I go on :roll: :lol:

In fact the only thing that is not dated is the astronomical wages we are willing to pay past their best players :lol:

StuartL
Location: It’s a new dawn, a new day a new life, for me and I’m feeling good

Post by StuartL »

LeftfootlegendGooner wrote:
Tue Feb 01, 2022 5:30 pm
DB10GOONER wrote:
Tue Feb 01, 2022 4:31 pm
mcdowell42 wrote:
Tactics, gameplan, in game management, training, medical department, transfer dealings, player scouting,player recruitment, need I go on :roll: :lol:

In fact the only thing that is not dated is the astronomical wages we are willing to pay past their best players :lol:
We could also do with a new shirt release or two …or some retro kit re-release to make people forget about the actual team :barscarf:

gooner265

Post by gooner265 »

From The Telegraph...

Arsenal are planning a multi-million pound refurbishment of the Emirates Stadium, with heavy investment lined up for the coming months & the summer break.

The stadium is in increasing need of a revamp to address general wear & tear, including roof leaks & the club also has plans to upgrade the technology within the ground. Discussions are ongoing over a costly renovation of the big screen system inside the Emirates.

The significant investment in the 60,000-seater arena comes despite Arsenal facing considerable & ongoing financial challenges, with the club set to reveal more heavy losses in the coming weeks. [@SamJDean] #afc