ALL Transfer talk - merged thread

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
mcdowell42

Re: ALL Transfer talk - merged thread

Post by mcdowell42 »

Want a laugh :lol:

🚨 || Moisés Caicedo has traveled to London on Deadline Day [@Jac_Talbot via @GiveMeSport].

augie

Post by augie »

goonersid wrote:
Tue Jan 31, 2023 1:05 pm
I still think it's a decent signing, 12 mil and a relatively short term contract, experienced player, it could just prove to be a very astute transfer.

Did you say the same when we signed will i am ? Or maybe when we signed sideshow bob ? Or maybe when we signed helmet head ?? :banghead: :banghead:

augie

Post by augie »

Clummo99 wrote:
Tue Jan 31, 2023 1:12 pm
augie wrote:
Tue Jan 31, 2023 12:20 pm
Clummo99 wrote:
Tue Jan 31, 2023 11:10 am
Not wumming and not trying to be contrary but why is everyone banging on so much about Caicedo?

Nobody was even talking about him 6 weeks ago. Now he's the new GOAT or something worth upward of 100m. :shock: :lol:

I've seen a fair few Brighton games and he's hardly stood out as anything special. Estupinan and Mitoma, even Solly March ffs, has impressed more.

Onana and Tielemans would be preferable to Jorginho for me but who knows what's gone on behind the scenes with any negotiations.

Because he isnt Jorginho - you are getting mixed up there clummo because a number of fans (myself included) have questioned the wisdom of paying so much for Caicedo, but make no mistake I would rather pay £80m for 21 year old Caicedo than 12m on a 31 year old has been. We are where we are because we stopped buying rejects that our so called rivals were trying to flog, and instead started building a team of young hungry energetic players, and for me jorginho is none of those. This signing smacks of arrogance from edu and arteta who read all about how savvy they are in the transfer market and now think that they can buy any old pile of shite and make it work - football isnt like that and it is about buying the right player for the right situation, and this isnt that. Show me anything in our recent history that gives you reason to believe that signing a player in 30s will work for us - these two clowns (edu and arteta) were the same c.unts that signing willian and signed cedric (experienced but not in his 30s).

There is every possibility that not signing a quality midfielder will finish us if partey gets injured, but do you believe that this guy is good enough to make the difference in a league chasing team ? If your answer is yes, then tell me why the chavs (who are in a mess) are happy to get rid
Just to clarify, when I say everyone banging on about Caicedo I'm not talking exclusively about this forum, I'm talking the football World in general.

Plus I've already said that Onana and Tielemans would be preferable for me but who knows how negotiations went or if we were ever interested at all.

I understand that, but for me signing no-one for midfield is better than signing the wrong player, and imo jorginho is the wrong player - I would rather play zinchenko or ben white in there tbh

Clummo99

Post by Clummo99 »

augie wrote:
Tue Jan 31, 2023 1:24 pm
Clummo99 wrote:
Tue Jan 31, 2023 1:12 pm
augie wrote:
Tue Jan 31, 2023 12:20 pm
Clummo99 wrote:
Tue Jan 31, 2023 11:10 am
Not wumming and not trying to be contrary but why is everyone banging on so much about Caicedo?

Nobody was even talking about him 6 weeks ago. Now he's the new GOAT or something worth upward of 100m. :shock: :lol:

I've seen a fair few Brighton games and he's hardly stood out as anything special. Estupinan and Mitoma, even Solly March ffs, has impressed more.

Onana and Tielemans would be preferable to Jorginho for me but who knows what's gone on behind the scenes with any negotiations.

Because he isnt Jorginho - you are getting mixed up there clummo because a number of fans (myself included) have questioned the wisdom of paying so much for Caicedo, but make no mistake I would rather pay £80m for 21 year old Caicedo than 12m on a 31 year old has been. We are where we are because we stopped buying rejects that our so called rivals were trying to flog, and instead started building a team of young hungry energetic players, and for me jorginho is none of those. This signing smacks of arrogance from edu and arteta who read all about how savvy they are in the transfer market and now think that they can buy any old pile of shite and make it work - football isnt like that and it is about buying the right player for the right situation, and this isnt that. Show me anything in our recent history that gives you reason to believe that signing a player in 30s will work for us - these two clowns (edu and arteta) were the same c.unts that signing willian and signed cedric (experienced but not in his 30s).

There is every possibility that not signing a quality midfielder will finish us if partey gets injured, but do you believe that this guy is good enough to make the difference in a league chasing team ? If your answer is yes, then tell me why the chavs (who are in a mess) are happy to get rid
Just to clarify, when I say everyone banging on about Caicedo I'm not talking exclusively about this forum, I'm talking the football World in general.

Plus I've already said that Onana and Tielemans would be preferable for me but who knows how negotiations went or if we were ever interested at all.

I understand that, but for me signing no-one for midfield is better than signing the wrong player, and imo jorginho is the wrong player - I would rather play zinchenko or ben white in there tbh
Square pegs in round holes mate. We experienced enough of that under the French Fraud.

Until 20 odd minutes ago we weren't aware that Elneny has had an op for a significant knee injury so will be out for months.

12m for Jorginho is a decent signing and better than nobody at this stage imo but I wanted better.

Midz

Post by Midz »

mcdowell42 wrote:
Tue Jan 31, 2023 1:16 pm

🚨 || Moisés Caicedo has traveled to London on Deadline Day [@Jac_Talbot via @GiveMeSport].
shopping?

Midz

Post by Midz »

mcdowell42 wrote:

shopping?

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

With the news that Elneny's injury is "significant' and that he is out for the remainder of the season, they needed to act quickly, hence the Jorginho deal.

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

Midz wrote:
Tue Jan 31, 2023 1:38 pm
mcdowell42 wrote:

shopping?
Someone resembling Caicedo's twin brother was just seen driving along the Blackstock Road.

mcdowell42

Post by mcdowell42 »

Elneny injury will rule him out for months. As reported by @MarkyMBryans, could struggle to play again this season.

Someone else earlier said Jorginho is a replacement for Elneny not Partey ,I'd have to agree ,but still should have got someone to cover Partey.

Midz

Post by Midz »

Jorginho is absolute fucking shite!

Very disappointing. Shame on Arsenal for this awful business.

rodders999

Post by rodders999 »

I'd like to see how Lakonga does starting 20 games in a row in midfield for palace, there may just be a player there but we were never gonna see it when he dips in and out playing the odd game for us every 6 weeks. I think (hope) he will benefit/improve massively from this loan move.

the playing mantis

Post by the playing mantis »

OneBardGooner wrote:
Tue Jan 31, 2023 1:38 pm
With the news that Elneny's injury is "significant' and that he is out for the remainder of the season, they needed to act quickly, hence the Jorginho deal.

Assume this is quote obg? as I know you know/agree the following;

the issue is ultimately naff all to do with elneny how the club cannot see quality partey cover is needed and has been for a year at least, is beyond me!

That's the issue most of us have I think. None of thos is a surprise yet naff all has been done.

the playing mantis

Post by the playing mantis »

Couldn't afford caicedo as we spunked all out money on the women's record signing...what a facking joke!!!

GoonerMuzz

Post by GoonerMuzz »

To be honest i'm not actually that bothered we signed Jorghino, it's more the manner of the signing and for me it is starting to show them as duplicitous, every man and his dog knows we need to strengthen to see the season out and this window opened with all the rumours about £80M Mudryk and sly smiles and comments from the club which then fizzled out and we bought Trossard (whom i rate btw), then the rumours are about us strengthening our midfield, names bandied about a more few sly grins and smiles from Arteta, £70M for Caciedo..... oh wait hang on we can't have him, we'll buy Jorghino instead.

It all feels a bit sticking plaster rather than statement to me.

I am fairly sure the thinking is that we will have more money available and more options in the summer but right now is, for me anyway, when we needed the statement buys, right when the league is there for the taking.
Last edited by GoonerMuzz on Tue Jan 31, 2023 1:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.