ALL Transfer talk - merged thread

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
Stuart L (2)

Re: ALL Transfer talk - merged thread

Post by Stuart L (2) »

Rian1 wrote:
Fri Mar 03, 2023 3:32 pm
DB10GOONER wrote:
Fri Mar 03, 2023 2:42 pm
Retro Gunner wrote:
Fri Mar 03, 2023 11:10 am
mcdowell42 wrote:
Thu Mar 02, 2023 8:02 pm
🚨 Mikel Arteta is planning to overhaul his squad by signing at least four players this summer using potential Champions League income. Arsenal are confident of beating Chelsea to the signing of Declan Rice, who may cost £80m & could renew interest in Moises Caicedo. [@garyjacob]

Personally, I'm not a huge fan of Rice. He's a moderately big fish in a small pond at West Ham. A little above average in my book and that's about it. I don't think he's the type of addition we need to move us to the next level, which is to compete with the best in Europe. I've said it before, but he certainly isn't an 80 million player...I'd say that even in these mad transfer fee days, he's a 30-40 million at best....and I'd let the chavs blow more money on him rather than sign him for 80 million.

I think that because we still have Xhaka lumbering around in midfield, there's a tendency to see any midfielder who isn't wheelchair bound as an improvement on what we have.

I know nothing about Caicedo.
Absolutely spot on Retro. I've never been a great fan of Declan Rice. He's what I'd call a good player but not a great player. We have enough good players. We need a couple more great players. I don't think Rice would add enough to the team for what we'd have to pay for him.

The comparison to Lobotomy Clive is very pertinent too. Yes Rice would be an improvement over that braindead oxygen thief but not enough to justify the outlay.

I'm not ruling out the possibility that he might step up a level playing with better players than the shit he currently plays with at the murderers, but again for the cost, its too much risk for me.
I think his main hype also comes from the fact that he’s a very solid/looking to be world class CDM when he plays for England. He has had good games in that shirt, surrounded by the top players so there’s a possibility, as you say, he elevates his game with the player and MA in charge. 80m is steep, Caiciedo is same money. If we can rob WH by giving 60m and Lokonga, deal.
Rice ?
Caicedo ?
McAllister ?

We are linked with all 3 and know that we put bids in for Caicedo, while Rice has been heavily tipped to move in the summer.

Who would best fit the team ?

I do t watch enough if other teams to know but that’s why super Mik :barscarf: is in charge.

Retro Gunner

Post by Retro Gunner »

DB10GOONER wrote:
Retro Gunner wrote:
mcdowell42 wrote:
🚨 Mikel Arteta is planning to overhaul his squad by signing at least four players this summer using potential Champions League income. Arsenal are confident of beating Chelsea to the signing of Declan Rice, who may cost £80m & could renew interest in Moises Caicedo. [@garyjacob]

Personally, I'm not a huge fan of Rice. He's a moderately big fish in a small pond at West Ham. A little above average in my book and that's about it. I don't think he's the type of addition we need to move us to the next level, which is to compete with the best in Europe. I've said it before, but he certainly isn't an 80 million player...I'd say that even in these mad transfer fee days, he's a 30-40 million at best....and I'd let the chavs blow more money on him rather than sign him for 80 million.

I think that because we still have Xhaka lumbering around in midfield, there's a tendency to see any midfielder who isn't wheelchair bound as an improvement on what we have.

Absolutely spot on Retro. I've never been a great fan of Declan Rice. He's what I'd call a good player but not a great player. We have enough good players. We need a couple more great players. I don't think Rice would add enough to the team for what we'd have to pay for him.

The comparison to Lobotomy Clive is very pertinent too. Yes Rice would be an improvement over that braindead oxygen thief but not enough to justify the outlay.

I'm not ruling out the possibility that he might step up a level playing with better players than the shit he currently plays with at the murderers, but again for the cost, its too much risk for me.

:lol: :lol:
Harsh, but......oh well, you know the rest. :lol:

As you say, Rice is far from the worst player in the world, but an 80 million risk on him stepping up to the level we need is too dangerous. He's a steady workhorse type, not a top level Champions League midfielder, which is what we need. I'd have thought that 80 million could get us a player who is clearly already at the required level.

Also, what is it with Rice's upright inverted back? He looks awkward and lacking fluidity when he runs.

Retro Gunner

Post by Retro Gunner »

Rian1 wrote:
DB10GOONER wrote:
Retro Gunner wrote:
mcdowell42 wrote:

I think his main hype also comes from the fact that he’s a very solid/looking to be world class CDM when he plays for England. He has had good games in that shirt, surrounded by the top players so there’s a possibility, as you say, he elevates his game with the player and MA in charge. 80m is steep, Caiciedo is same money. If we can rob WH by giving 60m and Lokonga, deal.

I still think the Morrocan guy at Fiorentina is worth a good look. He was outstanding at the World Cup, although admittedly, that's all I've seen of him.

Retro Gunner

Post by Retro Gunner »

Stuart L (2) wrote:
Fri Mar 03, 2023 4:42 pm
Rian1 wrote:
DB10GOONER wrote:
Retro Gunner wrote:
mcdowell42 wrote:

Rice ?
Caicedo ?
McAllister ?

We are linked with all 3 and know that we put bids in for Caicedo, while Rice has been heavily tipped to move in the summer.

Who would best fit the team ?

I do t watch enough if other teams to know but that’s why super Mik :barscarf: is in charge.

Rice could do a job in most teams, but he won't light any fires or move us to the next level.
I don't think McAllister is what we need tbh. Looks useful, but he's an attacking midfielder/striker and we're not short of that type and our quality there is high.
Caicedo, he's the unknown quantity for me. Very young and hasn't played a lot in the PL. If Arteta and Edu genuinely think he's the quality we need, then I'd rather see him than Rice, who is way over valued.

mcdowell42

Post by mcdowell42 »

Official: Moises Caicedo has signed new deal with Brighton valid until June 2027 with an option for further season 🚨🔵🇪🇨 #BHAFC

➕ It will include a significant pay rise for Caicedo.

🔴 Brighton have turned down £55m from Chelsea and £70m from Arsenal last January.

Stuart L (2)

Post by Stuart L (2) »

mcdowell42 wrote:
Fri Mar 03, 2023 7:17 pm
Official: Moises Caicedo has signed new deal with Brighton valid until June 2027 with an option for further season 🚨🔵🇪🇨 #BHAFC

🔴 Brighton have turned down £55m from Chelsea and £70m from Arsenal last January.
Well that’s an about turn isn’t it ?

Looks like rice 🍚 is on the menu instead then

Clummo99

Post by Clummo99 »

Stuart L (2) wrote:
Fri Mar 03, 2023 8:01 pm
mcdowell42 wrote:
Fri Mar 03, 2023 7:17 pm

Well that’s an about turn isn’t it ?

Looks like rice 🍚 is on the menu instead then
Possibly more about Brighton protecting their prized asset. Now with a longer contract signed they can ask for £100m+

I hope we don't cos he isn't even worth the £70m we supposedly bid in January as far as I'm concerned

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

All part of the deal Brighton agreed with Caicedo so he wouldn't go on strike etc.

They agreed to let him leave this Summer to the Club of his choice, IF he signed a new deal to ensure he couldn't hold them to ransom and they would reduce the asking price (Believed to be £55 - £60million).

He Is Quality and I would prefer him to Rice; who is better than some are saying. Under Arteta they would both improve.

mcdowell42

Post by mcdowell42 »

Newcastle are understood to be plotting a move for Kieran Tierney this summer. Eddie Howe is a long-time admirer of the Scotland international. Tierney will have three years remaining on his contract so he will be expensive, if #AFC are willing to sell him

Telegraph

Stuart L (2)

Post by Stuart L (2) »

mcdowell42 wrote:
Mon Mar 06, 2023 3:24 pm
Newcastle are understood to be plotting a move for Kieran Tierney this summer. Eddie Howe is a long-time admirer of the Scotland international. Tierney will have three years remaining on his contract so he will be expensive, if #AFC are willing to sell him

Telegraph
Real shame if it happens for KT was part of the catalyst of change

However, he doesn’t get game time, is regularly injured and I assume we would get more back than the £25m he cost us.

If we re-invest in a quite capable deputy for Zinchenko, I could accept it’s best for all concerned,

IF he goes, I’m sure he would always get a warm reception on any return.

He”ll like it at Newcastle, it’s cold up there 🥶

mcdowell42

Post by mcdowell42 »

Arsenal's £30m Kieran Tierney starting price explained | @Football_LDN

🔴 Mitigating factors making calls for £50m+ sales way beyond reality
🔴 Comparisons to Marc Cucurella and Ben Chilwell deals
🔴 How Oleksandr Zinchenko provides the answer

https://www.football.london/arsenal-fc/ ... e-26409778

TeeCee

Post by TeeCee »

Football London :lol: as reliable a football site as Sainsburys in Crawley.
Biggest load of bollocks on the web

BobbyPires7

Post by BobbyPires7 »

I don’t think Tierney is happy. He was living with his mate who is the chef at Arsenal. Seem to remember being told that the chef moved out. So he’s lonely and getting no game time.
Last edited by BobbyPires7 on Tue Mar 07, 2023 7:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

I like Tierney, he has what I think of as that Old Skool sense about him, I don't just mean because he plays in a t-shirt, shorts and no gloves in the Winter, but you can tell he gives 100% every time.

His attitude was one of the earlier influences on the other players (and the fans) in his first 2 seasons. He reminds me of a modern day George Armstrong.. Tough at the back, fast going forward and can put in a cross.

Put it this way, I think he is more reliable as as LB than Tomi (now is) as a RB.

I feel for him as he seems like a Genuine & Honest Young player who will run through walls for his team mates, the manage and the fans. :cry:

BobbyPires7

Post by BobbyPires7 »

I expect us to be quite ruthless in the Summer. Tomi will be out if he carries on as he is.