ALL Transfer talk - merged thread

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
SteveO 35

Re: ALL Transfer talk - merged thread

Post by SteveO 35 »

The rumours are that we have 180m plus revenue earned from sales to spend

Let's assume Rice and Caceido take out the 180m

From there we still have hopeless options at RB, as weak as piss at CB without Saliba and the non scoring Jesus and Eddie up front. Yet people think we need a winger FFS!

Who would we sell to raise the cash for those much needed positions? Balogun for 40 odd million? Clive for 10-15? Tierney for 25m? All well and good but in a threadbare squad where does that leave us for cover at LB and CF. Nuno Tavares and Eddie???

Honestly can't see 180m equipping this squad to compete in the CL and PL

TeeCee

Post by TeeCee »

I think we can raise more than that.

No way is Tierney going for 25, it'll be closer to 35m. Xhaka 15m, Holding 8m, Tavares 10m, Balogun 35m, Pepe 15m, Lokonga 15m, Mari was 4.5m, AMN 10m, and if we actually managed to sign Rice and Caicedo than Partey is out - 25m.

That would give us over 150m to spend on a right back, CB and a striker.
Let's say we got Guehi from Palace for 50m, Fresnida from Spain for 20m..... Leaves about 80m for a striker...... Just enough for Vlahovic!!

That will do nicely! :barscarf:

sk-gtfo

Post by sk-gtfo »

The problem is outside of the PL only PSG, RM and Bayern have big money to spend, everyone else is skint or acting poor.

So unless we can sell within the PL those values look a bit high.

We'll end up short as usual, we always do, the owners are happy with top 4, a leopard doesn't change its spots.

It does annoy me though if we go for a winger over a CF, Jesus can do the winger role if Saka is jaded, we need someone up top not another wide player who 'can do a job up there'.

Midz

Post by Midz »

TeeCee wrote:
Tue May 30, 2023 9:03 pm

No way is Tierney going for 25, it'll be closer to 35m. Xhaka 15m, Holding 8m, Tavares 10m, Balogun 35m, Pepe 15m, Lokonga 15m, Mari was 4.5m, AMN 10m, and if we actually managed to sign Rice and Caicedo than Partey is out - 25m.

Let's say we got Guehi from Palace for 50m, Fresnida from Spain for 20m..... Leaves about 80m for a striker...... Just enough for Vlahovic!!

That's all very nice and well thought out but the trouble is our negotiation people are wankers and would be lucky to get £35m for the whole lot of 'em. :D

augie

Post by augie »

You reap what you sow

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/22527011 ... -transfer/

I said two years ago the vibes saliba was getting from the manager was that he wasnt wanted - last summer we should have been signing him to a new deal, but having been fcuked out on loan again the previous summer there was no way he would sign a new deal without seeing where he stood in plans going forward. Now 12 months later it turns out that he is our most important defender (quelle surprise :roll: ) and he wants his wages to reflect that, and we are offering to put him on a par with the player arteta signed to fill his position (ben white) :roll: We have zero power now that he has 12 months left on his current deal :cry: :cussing: :cussing:

wibble

Post by wibble »

TeeCee wrote:
Tue May 30, 2023 9:03 pm

Sadly AMN is leaving as a free agent so we’ll need to rumble up that 10m from elsewhere!

gooner265

Post by gooner265 »

augie wrote:
Tue May 30, 2023 8:35 pm
BobbyPires7 wrote:
Tue May 30, 2023 8:08 pm
Midz wrote:
Tue May 30, 2023 8:02 pm
BobbyPires7 wrote:
Tue May 30, 2023 7:57 pm
Vieira likely to go out on loan.
Where, to Claridge's as a hat stand?
He’s going to be loaned to a pillow factory. Looking to put his name to a new pillow design. Light as a feather. Soft as candy floss. “The Vieira”.

In american football there is a nice practice where a club/franchise will occasionally retire a legend's number (never to be used again) when he hangs up his boots/cleats - it pains me greatly to see the name of a true Arsenal Legend (PV4) sullied so much by this powder puff excuse for a footballer and man, and maybe we should petition the club to retire the name of Vieira as soon as we get shot of this lad ? :rubchin:
Have to say though, that I simply cannot see the basque fool sending vieira out on loan cos to do so would be admitting it was mistake to buy him, and he doesnt do that
He sent Lakonga on loan so there's history there , it may happen. But he's far too lightweight for this league and not fit to lace ESRs boots.

gooner265

Post by gooner265 »

augie wrote:
Wed May 31, 2023 7:37 am
You reap what you sow

I said two years ago the vibes saliba was getting from the manager was that he wasnt wanted - last summer we should have been signing him to a new deal, but having been fcuked out on loan again the previous summer there was no way he would sign a new deal without seeing where he stood in plans going forward. Now 12 months later it turns out that he is our most important defender (quelle surprise :roll: ) and he wants his wages to reflect that, and we are offering to put him on a par with the player arteta signed to fill his position (ben white) :roll: We have zero power now that he has 12 months left on his current deal :cry: :cussing: :cussing:
Its the Saka deal that has moved the goalposts , we will need to up the wages offered and you cant blame him.

TeeCee

Post by TeeCee »

To be fair, I read a report saying we had offered Saliba 120k a week. Whilst that is a good raise on his 40k a week, it's not 'big' money and others will certainly pay more. To replace Saliba now it will realistically cost somewhere around 50m AND we'll have to pay between 120k and 150k a week.

FFS, just offer Saliba 160 or 180k a week with a review after 2 years. He's a very good player already and in 2 to 3 years time could easily be the first CB to go for more than 100m. I don't see the point in lowballing him. :banghead:

Natural Born Gooner

Post by Natural Born Gooner »

Great news if true. Had a feeling he was being used sparingly this season (like Martinelli a couple of seasons ago) so he could be ready for a full preseason!
Arsenal have no intention of letting Emile Smith Rowe leave the club this summer.

The 22-year-old attacker has a contract until 2026 and remains an important part of Mikel Arteta’s plans.

An injury-hit campaign saw Smith Rowe reduced to just 14 appearances in 2022-23.

There has been speculation over his long-term future with Aston Villa seeing offers rejected for him in 2021.

However, the hope he is will be a key player for England at the Under-21 European Championship later this summer before returning to fitness and form next term.

Smith Rowe played only 195 minutes in all competitions for Arsenal with all 14 appearances coming as a substitute.

He was a second-half substitute and provided an assist as Arsenal closed out their campaign with a 5-0 win over Wolverhampton Wanderers on Sund

Natural Born Gooner

Post by Natural Born Gooner »

augie wrote:
You reap what you sow

C'mon Augie, it's the fucking Sun sports pages. They have got less insight into what's going on at the club then my dead Nan.

Agree though it's not ideal to have 12 months left, and I think we have another 12 to trigger, but if he has no intention in staying sell him now and get Gvardiol or Kim. I always had a sneaking suspicion he'll end up at Real Madrid anyway, not PSG.

BobbyPires7

Post by BobbyPires7 »

I reckon we’ll pay him the money. Don’t see him leaving. His agents are serving him well to be fair.

BobbyPires7

Post by BobbyPires7 »

Natural Born Gooner wrote:
Wed May 31, 2023 11:29 am
augie wrote:
You reap what you sow

C'mon Augie, it's the fucking Sun sports pages. They have got less insight into what's going on at the club then my dead Nan.

Agree though it's not ideal to have 12 months left, and I think we have another 12 to trigger, but if he has no intention in staying sell him now and get Gvardiol or Kim. I always had a sneaking suspicion he'll end up at Real Madrid anyway, not PSG.
We’ve already triggered the extension. He could have gone on a free this Summer if we hadn’t.

augie

Post by augie »

Natural Born Gooner wrote:
Wed May 31, 2023 11:29 am
augie wrote:
You reap what you sow

Or maybe pay him what he is worth, you know like a proper big club would ? :rubchin: TeeCee reckons it will cost a transfer fee of £50m (plus wages) to replace saliba, but for me £50m gets you a ben white not a saliba and really there is no comparison. In saliba we have a proven player who knows the league - signing one of the centre backs from Italy that you refer to would (a) probably cost more than 50m and (b) they will need time to get used to premier league.

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

augie wrote:
Tue May 30, 2023 8:35 pm
BobbyPires7 wrote:
Tue May 30, 2023 8:08 pm
Midz wrote:
Tue May 30, 2023 8:02 pm
BobbyPires7 wrote:
Tue May 30, 2023 7:57 pm
Vieira likely to go out on loan.
Where, to Claridge's as a hat stand?
He’s going to be loaned to a pillow factory. Looking to put his name to a new pillow design. Light as a feather. Soft as candy floss. “The Vieira”.

In american football there is a nice practice where a club/franchise will occasionally retire a legend's number (never to be used again) when he hangs up his boots/cleats - it pains me greatly to see the name of a true Arsenal Legend (PV4) sullied so much by this powder puff excuse for a footballer and man, and maybe we should petition the club to retire the name of Vieira as soon as we get shot of this lad ? :rubchin:
Have to say though, that I simply cannot see the basque fool sending vieira out on loan cos to do so would be admitting it was mistake to buy him, and he doesnt do that
No one retires names. As for retiring numbers... where would that stop? There are probably ten or more Arsenal legends that I'd rate higher than PV4 and that's only in my 40++( :D ) years of support. Add in the legends from the 30s etc and we'd have no fucking numbers left ff! :lol: :lol: