ALL Transfer talk - merged thread

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
subtleasaheadbutt

Re: ALL Transfer talk - merged thread

Post by subtleasaheadbutt »

Retro Gunner wrote:
Sun May 15, 2022 9:39 pm
SteveO 35 wrote:
Sun May 15, 2022 7:52 pm
Retro Gunner wrote:
Sun May 15, 2022 7:30 pm
SteveO 35 wrote:
Sun May 15, 2022 6:30 pm
OneBardGooner wrote:
Sun May 15, 2022 10:53 am
BBC:

Arsenal have agreed a fee of up to 25m euros (£21.2m) for Bologna'sScotland international full-back Aaron Hickey. (Calciomercato - in Italian)

The Gunners are also closing on a 3.5m euro (£3m) deal to sign 19-year-old Brazilian striker Marquinhos from Sao Paulo. (ESPN)

Meanwhile, Arsenal are also preparing an opening bid for Manchester City striker Gabriel Jesus, 25. City want between 50m and 60m euros (£42.4m-£50.0m) for the Brazil international. (Fabrizio Romano)
I don't know anything about Hickey but he'd have to be almighty shitey to not be an improvement on Bellend, Cedric or Nuno. Our full back situation if either Tommy or Tierney aren't around is as desperate as any time I can remember in our history

Marquinhos - I guess the hope is that he's a Martinelli type but it rarely works out that way when kids come over from South America

Speaking of which there's a long long list of strikers I'd take over Jesus. What the fuck will his motivation be like going from the 100 points a season multiple winners, to a race for 4th at the absolute best. He also doesn't possess the attributes we need

I hope you're not suggesting that he might come for a comfy and lucrative ride???
Heaven forbid eh mate? I mean it always works out brilliantly when a player comes from a club that is used to winning titles to us - Cech, Gallas, Willian, Silvestre, Ozil - what could possibly go wrong?

Nothing can go wrong, as you so adroitly point out. Recent history proves categorically what a success we've made of signing the cast-offs of teams we're supposed to be aiming to compete with. Just wait until we lose our emerging young stars to the big boys. We're becoming North London's version of West Ham.
Ffs have a word with yourself. There is a north london version of west ham and it is not The Arsenal.

Nos89

Post by Nos89 »

Retro Gunner wrote:
Sun May 15, 2022 5:08 pm
Nos89 wrote:
Sat May 14, 2022 9:58 pm
augie wrote:
Fri May 13, 2022 2:06 pm
Nos89 wrote:
Fri May 13, 2022 1:30 pm
I'd be surprised if qualifying for the CL would change the transfer targets as they'd have been planning for players coming in based on Europa League football. If this is a project they'd be targeting players to build the squad step by step. Next step building towards CL. I think we do need 2 first team signings, forward and midfield and 4 squad signings.
I'd absolutely keep Nketiah for 3 more seasons as he will get plenty of game time. Still want Bissouma from Brighton but I'd also go Cucurella as LB cover as he's impressed me for a couple of seasons. DJed Spence as RB cover Calvert-Lewin or Abraham to supplement our front 3. The striker from Benfica looks good too. For me keeping Saka, Martinelli, and ESR is absolutely critical this summer. I don't see why they're not our starting front 3. They will be good enough to be challenging city and Liverpool. Once Martinelli finds his goal scoring boots.

But obviously wont get plenty of goals :roll:
He's got the best goals per minutes played ratio of all the forwards that started the season with us.

Hmmmm....that's about as low a bar as it's possible to find.
Well, no matter how low the bar, he's top of it, the best striker we have at the club. That's an unarguable fact.

Midz

Post by Midz »

Elneny wants to stay at Arsenal as he says it's such a beautiful club.

Well of course it is as there's no other club that would pay him the vast sum he's on for being a c.unt and doing fuck all!!
Just because he has a couple of half decent games doesn't warrant an extended contract ffs. He should have a decent game every time he plays considering what he earns.
Fuck him off asap please.

augie

Post by augie »

Nos89 wrote:
Mon May 16, 2022 10:16 am
Retro Gunner wrote:
Nos89 wrote:
augie wrote:
Nos89 wrote:
I'd be surprised if qualifying for the CL would change the transfer targets as they'd have been planning for players coming in based on Europa League football. If this is a project they'd be targeting players to build the squad step by step. Next step building towards CL. I think we do need 2 first team signings, forward and midfield and 4 squad signings.
I'd absolutely keep Nketiah for 3 more seasons as he will get plenty of game time. Still want Bissouma from Brighton but I'd also go Cucurella as LB cover as he's impressed me for a couple of seasons. DJed Spence as RB cover Calvert-Lewin or Abraham to supplement our front 3. The striker from Benfica looks good too. For me keeping Saka, Martinelli, and ESR is absolutely critical this summer. I don't see why they're not our starting front 3. They will be good enough to be challenging city and Liverpool. Once Martinelli finds his goal scoring boots.

He's got the best goals per minutes played ratio of all the forwards that started the season with us.

Well, no matter how low the bar, he's top of it, the best striker we have at the club. That's an unarguable fact.

No, he is the best goal scoring striker we have - there is more to being a number 9 in today's football world (especially in our team) than just scoring goals, and sadly nketieh doesnt have the traits needed to be THE 9, so laca is the best striker in every aspect EXCEPT goal scoring

Retro Gunner

Post by Retro Gunner »

subtleasaheadbutt wrote:
Mon May 16, 2022 6:14 am
Retro Gunner wrote:
Sun May 15, 2022 9:39 pm
SteveO 35 wrote:
Sun May 15, 2022 7:52 pm
Retro Gunner wrote:
Sun May 15, 2022 7:30 pm
SteveO 35 wrote:
Sun May 15, 2022 6:30 pm

I don't know anything about Hickey but he'd have to be almighty shitey to not be an improvement on Bellend, Cedric or Nuno. Our full back situation if either Tommy or Tierney aren't around is as desperate as any time I can remember in our history

Marquinhos - I guess the hope is that he's a Martinelli type but it rarely works out that way when kids come over from South America

Speaking of which there's a long long list of strikers I'd take over Jesus. What the fuck will his motivation be like going from the 100 points a season multiple winners, to a race for 4th at the absolute best. He also doesn't possess the attributes we need

I hope you're not suggesting that he might come for a comfy and lucrative ride???
Heaven forbid eh mate? I mean it always works out brilliantly when a player comes from a club that is used to winning titles to us - Cech, Gallas, Willian, Silvestre, Ozil - what could possibly go wrong?

Nothing can go wrong, as you so adroitly point out. Recent history proves categorically what a success we've made of signing the cast-offs of teams we're supposed to be aiming to compete with. Just wait until we lose our emerging young stars to the big boys. We're becoming North London's version of West Ham.
Ffs have a word with yourself. There is a north london version of west ham and it is not The Arsenal.

🤣🤣 Have a word with myself eh. Practice some self delusion you mean? Send me over some of your happy pills mate, anything that can prevent me seeing the state the club is in.

I’m fully expecting the big boys to come after Saka, ESR, Martinelli and Gabriel and it could well start this summer, especially if we don’t make the CL. I very much doubt we’ll still have all four in two years time and not because we’ll want shot of them.

Tell you what, you remind me of this if I’m wrong and I’ll remind you if I’m right.

Retro Gunner

Post by Retro Gunner »

Nos89 wrote:
Mon May 16, 2022 10:16 am
Retro Gunner wrote:
Nos89 wrote:
augie wrote:
Nos89 wrote:

Oh, so how low the bar is doesn’t matter to you? You don’t think we ought to be looking for improvements on the 2nd rate strikers we have? Having the best goals to games ratio amongst our clutch of duds up front is hardly recommendation and I’ll take your word for the stat.

The point being made was that you think he warrants another 2 or 3 seasons at the club and both Augie and I don’t think he’s good enough, regardless of being the best of a bad bunch statistically. That people seriously think Nketiah is good enough for the Arsenal, tells you all you need to know about how far we’ve fallen.

augie

Post by augie »

Have to say that I would much, much rather AFC pick up the phone and ring luis suarez and offer him a two year £150k per week deal (he is on 160k per week at the mo), than buy jesus from city for anything above 30m - jesus cannot play the 9 for starters, plus suarez would bring some much needed character (and bite :wink: ) to this pussified team

rodders999

Post by rodders999 »

augie wrote:
Mon May 16, 2022 1:51 pm
Have to say that I would much, much rather AFC pick up the phone and ring luis suarez and offer him a two year £150k per week deal (he is on 160k per week at the mo), than buy jesus from city for anything above 30m - jesus cannot play the 9 for starters, plus suarez would bring some much needed character (and bite :wink: ) to this pussified team
Matron, come quick, Augie's off his meds again :wink:

mcdowell42

Post by mcdowell42 »

Aaron Hickey is ‘one step away’ from moving to Arsenal, with the deal expected to be finalised ‘in the next few days’. An agreement was found with Bologna on €23m-€24m plus bonuses. [@86_longo, @CmdotCom_En] #afc https://t.co/5fR7cbat2b

I copied and pasted that :barscarf:

augie

Post by augie »

rodders999 wrote:
Mon May 16, 2022 1:55 pm
augie wrote:
Mon May 16, 2022 1:51 pm
Matron, come quick, Augie's off his meds again :wink:

Let me respond by saying -

(a) we need at least TWO strikers this summer (auba already gone and one maybe two more also leaving), and we do not have the funds to buy two top quality strikers in their prime. Suarez is on a free and at 35 years of age wouldnt expect to play every game, so would be ideal to share the duties of number 9. Lets be honest and say that 150k per week is peanuts these days too.

(b) gabriel jesus is not top quality or anywhere near it imo. He is not physical enough to play as our centre forward imo, and would probably be a lighter version of nketieh. Yes he scores goals in that city team, but laca and nketieh would score goals in that team ffs. I fear that pep's cone boy will either sign him to play him on the wing, or will sign him as a striker and quickly realise that he isnt gonna work as a 9 and shift him to the wing and screw martinelli. I think deep down most Gooners still feel that pep lite doesnt rate/want martinelli and will squeeze him as soon as he can

rodders999

Post by rodders999 »

His legs are gone Augie, at 35 he's done at the top level I'm afraid. No-one that age could cut it up front in the PL in this era (bar Sue but he's a genetic freak).

The time to sign him was the 40+1 debacle but the club fucked it....oh what could have been.

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

Any other lightweight wingers coming in?

Nos89

Post by Nos89 »

Player's we definitely know will not come Jesus, Tielemans, Isak, Asensio, Nunez, Abraham, Lewandoski, Sterling, L Martinez, P Dybala, Osimhen, Fabien Ruiz...CL level players

Player's that will come Calvert-Lewin, Bissouma, Zaha, Neves, Rashford, etc...Europa League level players.

I think/hope our main players will stay like Saka, Martinelli, ESR for at least another season. Post world cup will be a different story if they play well.

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

rodders999 wrote:
Mon May 16, 2022 2:55 pm
His legs are gone Augie, at 35 he's done at the top level I'm afraid. No-one that age could cut it up front in the PL in this era (bar Sue but he's a genetic freak).

The time to sign him was the 40+1 debacle but the club fucked it....oh what could have been.
He's probably got dentures in now ffs. :lol: :wink:

GoonerMuzz

Post by GoonerMuzz »

Well I think the last two games have really shown for all and sundry the paucity of experience and spirit at the club, it's all well and good having young talent but it makes no difference if it can't be channeled when the pressure is on.

A couple of months back someone said we need 6 players but I'll stick to my guns and say we need at least 9.

So I imagine we will get 5ish, leaving us with another season where we are well short of what is required to be anywhere near a challenge in the PL never mind throwing in a Europa run too.

We don't just want highly skilled players but we also need some players who are hungry to prove themselves every week and inspire those around them because sure as shit that is not coming from Arteta :banghead: