ALL Transfer talk - merged thread

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
SteveO 35

Re: ALL Transfer talk - merged thread

Post by SteveO 35 »

rodders999 wrote:
Fri May 13, 2022 10:21 am
augie wrote:
Mon May 09, 2022 4:12 pm
rodders999 wrote:
Mon May 09, 2022 3:19 pm
Tielemans....yes please.

I'd also actually be for re-signing both El Neny and Eddie as fabled internal solutions because I just don't think we can go out and championship manager all our problems away in just one transfer window.

Tielemans with either a Tierney replacement or at the very least a proper back up at LB plus our main bit of business in getting a powerhouse striker that will get 20 league goals is all I can see us going for.

Adding the likes of Bissouma and a second striker to the mix and we're in wet dream territory especially if Xhaka fucks off (come on Jose you know you want to).

It hasn't really worked out for Balogun at Boro but who knows maybe he's ready to come back in and give us an option.

Sweet Jesus rodders - I know we cant "football manager" (hasnt been called championship manager in over a decade :wink: ) all our problems away in one swoop, but no fcuking way should nketieh be our second choice manager - seasons consist of 38 league games plus a number of cup games, and just cos eddie scores in 3 or 4 games at the tail end of the season does not make him good enough imo. I like the guy, and because he is homegrown I would love it if he was of the required quality, but the reality is that he isnt good enough to be second choice much less first choice :roll:

Can I also say that I have never been a big fan of this "I wont celebrate when I score against my old team" nonsense, but eddie not celebrating cos of a loan spell with those c.unts is absolute bollox imo
What??? Not called championship manager anymore? When the fuck did that happen? Game's gone mate :lol:

We started this season with 4 strikers - Auba, Laca, Eddie and Balogun - I just don't think it's realistic to replace all 4 in one window - or even 3 for that matter. I had great hopes that Balogun would flourish on loan at Boro but he's only scored 3 goals while there and sat on the bench for a lot of it. From reading reviews of his time there from Boro fans it seems that while there's definitely a player there he struggled badly with the physicality of the championship at times and was bullied out of a lot of games so I doubt he's ready to come back and fight for a spot with us.

With the amount of areas we need filling I'd sign Eddie as the back up striker and splurge all the wonga on a main man up top, Tielemans and a LB - after the absolute carnage Tierney's injury has caused to the entire defense - we can't have that shit happening again next season after he inevitably gets crocked again within 10 games.
I presume you're working on the basis that Saliba comes back and forms part of the squad (although why anyone would have confidence in that god only knows as we all know Arteta didn't sign him :roll: ).......because if you're not we will be going in next season with 3 centre halves again, one of which is Holding. When Saliba is allowed to leave on loan or permanently for tuppence ha'penny we'll have even less available to spend

augie

Post by augie »

SteveO 35 wrote:
Fri May 13, 2022 10:25 am
rodders999 wrote:
augie wrote:
rodders999 wrote:
Tielemans....yes please.

I'd also actually be for re-signing both El Neny and Eddie as fabled internal solutions because I just don't think we can go out and championship manager all our problems away in just one transfer window.

Tielemans with either a Tierney replacement or at the very least a proper back up at LB plus our main bit of business in getting a powerhouse striker that will get 20 league goals is all I can see us going for.

Adding the likes of Bissouma and a second striker to the mix and we're in wet dream territory especially if Xhaka fucks off (come on Jose you know you want to).

It hasn't really worked out for Balogun at Boro but who knows maybe he's ready to come back in and give us an option.

Sweet Jesus rodders - I know we cant "football manager" (hasnt been called championship manager in over a decade :wink: ) all our problems away in one swoop, but no fcuking way should nketieh be our second choice manager - seasons consist of 38 league games plus a number of cup games, and just cos eddie scores in 3 or 4 games at the tail end of the season does not make him good enough imo. I like the guy, and because he is homegrown I would love it if he was of the required quality, but the reality is that he isnt good enough to be second choice much less first choice :roll:

Can I also say that I have never been a big fan of this "I wont celebrate when I score against my old team" nonsense, but eddie not celebrating cos of a loan spell with those c.unts is absolute bollox imo
What??? Not called championship manager anymore? When the fuck did that happen? Game's gone mate :lol:

We started this season with 4 strikers - Auba, Laca, Eddie and Balogun - I just don't think it's realistic to replace all 4 in one window - or even 3 for that matter. I had great hopes that Balogun would flourish on loan at Boro but he's only scored 3 goals while there and sat on the bench for a lot of it. From reading reviews of his time there from Boro fans it seems that while there's definitely a player there he struggled badly with the physicality of the championship at times and was bullied out of a lot of games so I doubt he's ready to come back and fight for a spot with us.

With the amount of areas we need filling I'd sign Eddie as the back up striker and splurge all the wonga on a main man up top, Tielemans and a LB - after the absolute carnage Tierney's injury has caused to the entire defense - we can't have that shit happening again next season after he inevitably gets crocked again within 10 games.
I presume you're working on the basis that Saliba comes back and forms part of the squad (although why anyone would have confidence in that god only knows as we all know Arteta didn't sign him :roll: ).......because if you're not we will be going in next season with 3 centre halves again, one of which is Holding. When Saliba is allowed to leave on loan or permanently for tuppence ha'penny we'll have even less available to spend

Saliba will be sold by pep's cone boy this summer - have no doubt about that. WHEN he is sold, that money will be spunked away ridiculously again (£50m for ben white :roll: ) on some second rate player who will be obiediant amd grateful to pep's cone boy for bringing him to AFC and will never question him - arteta learned that thinking from the senile old french fool, and the apple never falls far from the tree

augie

Post by augie »

rodders999 wrote:
augie wrote:
rodders999 wrote:
Tielemans....yes please.

With balogun, the one think I will point out is that smith-rowe's loan at huddersfield and in germany was far from outstanding, but his quality has still come to the fore since returning.
I dont know if balogun is good enough or not cos I simply havent seen enough of him to form an opinion - the one mantra that I have always lived by though, is that I would rather give a chance to a player that might not be good enough, than to stick with a guy that has shown over a number of years that he is NOT good enough. Personally I would rather go big after one quality striker signing and then try and bring in a striker on loan like jovic from real madrid - as nice as a guy as nketieh is, he has proven over a number of years that he isnt of the required standard, and for his sake as much as ours, he needs to step down to a club that is more his level and where he will get more game time

g88ner

Post by g88ner »

augie wrote:
Fri May 13, 2022 11:08 am

Saliba will be sold by pep's cone boy this summer - have no doubt about that.
Yeah possibly. I keep changing my mind on this but I’ve no confidence Arteta wants him around.

That said, people (including you I think?) were complaining that Martinelli would leave because Arteta didn’t rate him… before that it was ESR. Reality is that Arteta clearly does rate them, he just doesn’t agree with our timeline for them making the breakthrough. I’m hoping it’s the same with Saliba but, yeah, also wouldn’t be surprised if he moved on :?

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

g88ner wrote:
Fri May 13, 2022 11:20 am
augie wrote:

Yeah possibly. I keep changing my mind on this but I’ve no confidence Arteta wants him around.

That said, people (including you I think?) were complaining that Martinelli would leave because Arteta didn’t rate him… before that it was ESR. Reality is that Arteta clearly does rate them, he just doesn’t agree with our timeline for them making the breakthrough. I’m hoping it’s the same with Saliba but, yeah, also wouldn’t be surprised if he moved on :?
The difference with ESR and Martinelli is that they were kids with zero PL experience when those comments were being bandied about

Saliba has now played almost 100 games in the French league and numerous European games too. If Carpet Head still doesn't deem him worthy of a chance next season, you have to wonder if that day will ever come

rodders999

Post by rodders999 »

I'm not going to quote tower it SteveO coz it does my fucking head in on here but 100% I'm absolutely factoring in Saliba coming back in.

augie

Post by augie »

g88ner wrote:
Fri May 13, 2022 11:20 am
augie wrote:

I will stick my head out and say that if pep's cone boy is still manager of AFC in two years time, at least 2 (if not all 3) of saliba, smith-rowe and martinelli will no longer be AFC players - I suspect that next season his first choice front 3 will be a new number 9 flanked by saka and jesus

g88ner

Post by g88ner »

rodders999 wrote:
Fri May 13, 2022 11:41 am
I'm not going to quote tower it SteveO coz it does my fucking head in on here but 100% I'm absolutely factoring in Saliba coming back in.
Yeah hopefully.

His contract situation worries me though… isn’t it 1 year remaining this summer? If so, not sure how the hell we convince him to extend after the way he’s been treated

rodders999

Post by rodders999 »

g88ner wrote:
Fri May 13, 2022 12:39 pm
rodders999 wrote:
Yeah hopefully.

His contract situation worries me though… isn’t it 1 year remaining this summer? If so, not sure how the hell we convince him to extend after the way he’s been treated
2024 so not quite at the we're completely fucked moment just yet 8)

Nos89

Post by Nos89 »

I'd be surprised if qualifying for the CL would change the transfer targets as they'd have been planning for players coming in based on Europa League football. If this is a project they'd be targeting players to build the squad step by step. Next step building towards CL. I think we do need 2 first team signings, forward and midfield and 4 squad signings.
I'd absolutely keep Nketiah for 3 more seasons as he will get plenty of game time. Still want Bissouma from Brighton but I'd also go Cucurella as LB cover as he's impressed me for a couple of seasons. DJed Spence as RB cover Calvert-Lewin or Abraham to supplement our front 3. The striker from Benfica looks good too. For me keeping Saka, Martinelli, and ESR is absolutely critical this summer. I don't see why they're not our starting front 3. They will be good enough to be challenging city and Liverpool. Once Martinelli finds his goal scoring boots.

augie

Post by augie »

Nos89 wrote:
Fri May 13, 2022 1:30 pm
I'd be surprised if qualifying for the CL would change the transfer targets as they'd have been planning for players coming in based on Europa League football. If this is a project they'd be targeting players to build the squad step by step. Next step building towards CL. I think we do need 2 first team signings, forward and midfield and 4 squad signings.
I'd absolutely keep Nketiah for 3 more seasons as he will get plenty of game time. Still want Bissouma from Brighton but I'd also go Cucurella as LB cover as he's impressed me for a couple of seasons. DJed Spence as RB cover Calvert-Lewin or Abraham to supplement our front 3. The striker from Benfica looks good too. For me keeping Saka, Martinelli, and ESR is absolutely critical this summer. I don't see why they're not our starting front 3. They will be good enough to be challenging city and Liverpool. Once Martinelli finds his goal scoring boots.

But obviously wont get plenty of goals :roll:

mcdowell42

Post by mcdowell42 »

As per the reliable @laprovence - Arsenal are planning next season with William Saliba in the team. [Via @Sport_Witness]

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

mcdowell42 wrote:
Fri May 13, 2022 2:21 pm
As per the reliable @laprovence - Arsenal are planning next season with William Saliba in the team. [Via @Sport_Witness]
Does @laprovence have a cousin in France who knows these things mate? If not, I'm willing to put you in touch with someone in the know.....

g88ner

Post by g88ner »

rodders999 wrote:
Fri May 13, 2022 1:23 pm
g88ner wrote:
Fri May 13, 2022 12:39 pm
rodders999 wrote:
Yeah hopefully.

2024 so not quite at the we're completely fucked moment just yet 8)
Great :cheers:

mcdowell42

Post by mcdowell42 »

SteveO 35 wrote:
Fri May 13, 2022 2:43 pm
mcdowell42 wrote:
Fri May 13, 2022 2:21 pm
Does @laprovence have a cousin in France who knows these things mate? If not, I'm willing to put you in touch with someone in the know.....
SteveO so many legends gone off this forum over the yrs, the 1 you allude to now ,always seemed to be just off the phone from his cousin in France,who always told him player x was no good just at the same time we were talking about player x on here, babatunde who after getting banned off here came back as another African king ,telling us he wasn't babatunde whilst using the same writing style, the same criticisms ,the same insults as Babatunde who he apparently wasn't :lol: