ALL Transfer talk - merged thread

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
gooner265

Re: ALL Transfer talk - merged thread

Post by gooner265 »

GoonerMuzz wrote:
Fri Sep 02, 2022 12:50 pm
NickF98 wrote:
Fri Sep 02, 2022 9:58 am
GoonerMuzz wrote:
Fri Sep 02, 2022 8:20 am

Balogun and Patino all who were available from the bench last season are out on loan and potentially Azeez, however AMN, Torriera, Belerin, Laca and Pepe who would have been possible bench warmers
That is exactly what they are - bench warmers. None of them are likely to have any impact coming on, so get rid.
First team squad is currently 23 players, 2 short of the allowed max not including youngsters. That is a hell of a risk with more games to play and a world cup in the middle of the season.

When some players need a rest which they will I have little confidence in Soares, Sambi etc to step up when required.

I have no problem being rid of surplus bench warmers as long as they are replaced with better options, some of those who went haven't been replaced at all
Sambi done well the other night with an aggressive midfield , his chance to shine now, lets see.

mcdowell42

Post by mcdowell42 »

Augie I had heard there were at least 3 clubs interested in Luiz, Athletic Madrid, Liverpool and I think Juventus, but tbh I didn't hear anything about clubs interested in Tielemans.

augie

Post by augie »

mcdowell42 wrote:
Fri Sep 02, 2022 1:27 pm
Augie I had heard there were at least 3 clubs interested in Luiz, Athletic Madrid, Liverpool and I think Juventus, but tbh I didn't hear anything about clubs interested in Tielemans.

There was talks that manure and the geordies were rumoured to be interested but nothing more than that - every report out there said that we had spoken with Tielemens agent and terms had been agreed and they were awaiting a club bid to Leicester, so to suggest wages was an issue is going against every media outlet which said otherwise

mcdowell42

Post by mcdowell42 »

augie wrote:
Fri Sep 02, 2022 1:51 pm
mcdowell42 wrote:

There was talks that manure and the geordies were rumoured to be interested but nothing more than that - every report out there said that we had spoken with Tielemens agent and terms had been agreed and they were awaiting a club bid to Leicester, so to suggest wages was an issue is going against every media outlet which said otherwise

(🌕) Youri Tielemans’s character & quality was admired, Arsenal held some reservations about the physical and defensive aspects of his game. (@gunnerblog)

g88ner

Post by g88ner »

Obviously disappointed we didn’t find a defensive midfielder but also relieved we didn’t panic and pay way over the odds for a player who the club didn’t really want long term. Been there, done that and it always ends badly.

Not many (or any?) of us saw signing a number 6 as a priority a week ago and it’s just incredibly unlucky to lose both DM’s within 2 days of each other. Losing Zinchenko just makes matters worse. I do question the logic of not stopping AMN leave though. Hopefully Partey isn’t out for long and Lokonga plays well until then!

Quite happy with the transfer window as a whole though. I like the squad we have, I’m delighted with Jesus & Zinchenko, excited by Vieira, pleased we retained Nketiah & Elneny and pleased we didn’t panic buy yesterday. Now let’s extend Saka and Saliba’s contracts!

Not so happy we didn’t find a Xhaka upgrade (unless it’s Vieira?!) and the incoming cash from sales is astonishingly bad. We can’t keep losing so much cash. Oh, and Auba moving to Chavs leaves a shit flavoured cherry on the cake :x :)

Gunnerz4life

Post by Gunnerz4life »

It is somewhat commendable that we were not willing to pay over the odds for a player in the final year of his contract and someone who we were not even looking at prior to Partey and Elneny getting injured. I do agree with Arteta's comments today that we should not panic buy or look at short term fixes, we have been down that road and it has almost never worked.

But having said that given the time Partey has spent on the treatment table and the persistent issues with his thigh it feels a bit naive of Arteta and Edu to still rely on him as a major cog in our system and not mitigating his almost inevitable absences. I know in Sambi and Elneny we did have 2 backups for the position and it is unfortunate to lose Elneny who rarely gets injured on a long term injury. But for someone with the injury record of Partey, you don't look for a back up, you look for a replacement.

Vieira is by all accounts a very talented and versatile player and could turn out to be a star for us but his signing for 30 million + does seem like bit of a luxury now when that amount could have been invested on a more established player who would challenge for the first team.

Lastly the club has again taken a massive gamble in not addressing two key holes in the squad. They took the same gamble in January in not signing a striker and that cost us top 4. We did manage to get Jesus so there could be an argument that the decision to wait was the right one but if we get more injuries and drop points and by the time the world cup comes, we will be more desperate and signing players in January is never easy. It is frustrating that the window which began so promisingly whimpered out at the end and put a bit of a dampner on the positivity surrounding the team.

augie

Post by augie »

mcdowell42 wrote:
Fri Sep 02, 2022 2:08 pm
augie wrote:
Fri Sep 02, 2022 1:51 pm
mcdowell42 wrote:

(🌕) Youri Tielemans’s character & quality was admired, Arsenal held some reservations about the physical and defensive aspects of his game. (@gunnerblog)

I could accept that a lot quicker if he wasnt going to be replacing the useless kamakaze swiss c.unt :roll:

Anyway it was obvious that they (a) had concerns about him and (b) didnt see upgrading the swiss c.unt as necessary.

Personally I'm just glad that we didnt sign another winger

Nos89

Post by Nos89 »

Didn't know where to post this, but I've noticed in the last two games Nketiah has made a slight change to his style of play. I saw another post that mentioned it. He's playing on the half turn, not back to goal or running towards goal, meaning he's always on the move when receiving the ball and making so much more dangerous on the attack then last season. A minor tweak but has worked really well. Makes such a difference to his game. Needs his first goal of the season to get going.

GoonerMuzz

Post by GoonerMuzz »

The perennial problem remains, we made some decent buys and offloaded poor players but we are still short, this is a perpetual problem and every window all you hear from certain fans is, don't worry they'll sort the rest of it next window, however that next window NEVER fully sorts us out, last January being a prime example from which we suffered an end of season whimper.

I just can't get on board the never never gravy train like some, it baffles me that relatively intelligent people can :rubchin:

augie

Post by augie »

GoonerMuzz wrote:
Fri Sep 02, 2022 4:02 pm
The perennial problem remains, we made some decent buys and offloaded poor players but we are still short, this is a perpetual problem and every window all you hear from certain fans is, don't worry they'll sort the rest of it next window, however that next window NEVER fully sorts us out, last January being a prime example from which we suffered an end of season whimper.

I just can't get on board the never never gravy train like some, it baffles me that relatively intelligent people can :rubchin:

When the January transfer window passes and we are still short, they will tell us all that the January transfer window is a notoriously hard window to do business in - all clubs wheel that shite out every season, and you ask yourself i9f they know that it is a hard window to do business in, why are you banking on it to solve the issues that exist in your squad ? Wouldnt the obvious plan be to only use the January transfer window to fix emergency or unforeseen problems in the squad ? Issues that existed in August need to be addressed in August

Retro Gunner

Post by Retro Gunner »

g88ner wrote:
Fri Sep 02, 2022 10:57 am
If you open your window and listen very carefully, you can just about hear Torreira and Guendouzi pissing themselves laughing at this moment :lol:

Yep, both better than anything we've got in centre mid in my opinion. It seems that something odd went on with Torriera, who started so brightly and was suddenly out of favour/not raelly performing. Rumours that he and his family couldn't settle in London, but who knows?

I find the Guendouzi situation more annoying really. I rated the guy and it's easy to forget how young he was. He had a combative spirit that we've lacked for years and it was good to see him bollocking other players when they fucked up. I also like the fact that he went after the crafty fucker Maupay at Soton. It appears to me that he had a strong character that Arteta couldn't handle, so he was ousted. Just like Wenger, Arteta wants youngsters and yes men who won't question anything. It rarely works.

Retro Gunner

Post by Retro Gunner »

g88ner wrote:
Fri Sep 02, 2022 2:15 pm
Obviously disappointed we didn’t find a defensive midfielder but also relieved we didn’t panic and pay way over the odds for a player who the club didn’t really want long term. Been there, done that and it always ends badly.

Not many (or any?) of us saw signing a number 6 as a priority a week ago and it’s just incredibly unlucky to lose both DM’s within 2 days of each other. Losing Zinchenko just makes matters worse. I do question the logic of not stopping AMN leave though. Hopefully Partey isn’t out for long and Lokonga plays well until then!

Quite happy with the transfer window as a whole though. I like the squad we have, I’m delighted with Jesus & Zinchenko, excited by Vieira, pleased we retained Nketiah & Elneny and pleased we didn’t panic buy yesterday. Now let’s extend Saka and Saliba’s contracts!

Not so happy we didn’t find a Xhaka upgrade (unless it’s Vieira?!) and the incoming cash from sales is astonishingly bad. We can’t keep losing so much cash. Oh, and Auba moving to Chavs leaves a shit flavoured cherry on the cake :x :)

You and somebody else mentioned a "number 6" the other day. To me, a number 6 is one of the two centre backs, but I'm assuming you mean a defensive centre midfielder?

If so, then I've no idea where the comment that few, if any of us, saw the need for one more than a week ago comes from? This forum is full of people that have been crying out for a decent central midfielder for literally years and this summer has been no exception. Many actually stress a defensively minded midfielder, although I suppose I'm old school and would like a couple of box to box players that are capable of defending AND getting forward and have the brains to know when each is required. That said, players tend to be inclined in one direction more than the other and a centre mid that knows how to cover the backline has been missing since PV4 left and we've been screaming about it on here almost daily.

g88ner

Post by g88ner »

Retro Gunner wrote:
Fri Sep 02, 2022 4:53 pm

You and somebody else mentioned a "number 6" the other day. To me, a number 6 is one of the two centre backs, but I'm assuming you mean a defensive centre midfielder?
To be honest I hate that fucking term so please shoot me in the face if I say “number 6” again. I only said it because I was responding to someone else who used that term and I then ended up repeating it.

But yes, I meant a defensive midfielder. And yes, I know loads of us have been banging on about needing one for years but I just meant last week I don’t remember anyone saying that should be our priority signing. That’s all I meant.

I agree, 6 is a centre back. So is 5. Number 2 is right back, 3 left back, 4 is a defensive midfielder in my mind with 8 being box-to-box, 7 right midfield, 11 left midfield, 10 is playmaker and 9 is striker. Sorted :D

the playing mantis

Post by the playing mantis »

Nos89 wrote:
Fri Sep 02, 2022 10:21 am
augie wrote:
Fri Sep 02, 2022 8:19 am
Nos89 wrote:
Fri Sep 02, 2022 8:07 am
No doubt that'll bite us on the arse with injuries and suspension in the midfield before the next window. Still, we did get a couple of golden signings in and got rid of squad members that were simply not performing, or wanted to go. Tielemans no doubt holding out for a free transfer to boost his pay.
Overall, that was a great window of business for the club as undoubtedly the players brought in have massively improved the squad.

Stop with that bu!!shit - every media report in the past couple of months has said that we had agreed personal terms with his agent but had yet to make an offer to leicester, but you want to defend the club by making out that Tielemens is greedy :roll: :oops: :oops: :oops: That is embarassing :roll:
Who said anything about Tielemans being greedy? I read on a few sources that he's happy where he is and wants to get the best deal for his next move. He rejected moves to Liverpool, Newcastle, Manure and Arsenal that I heard of.
It's like people forget on this forum that there other circumstances why players move/ don't move, it's not just down to Edu and Arteta. Douglas Luiz wants to move, club won't let him. Tielemans could've moved with a transfer fee or wait out 4 months and then negotiate a new deal for himself, Melo chose Liverpool out of 3 clubs, no doubt one was us.
People throwing tantrums like 4 year olds in a supermarket because Edu didn't buy the player they wanted. Get a grip.
Defective nonsense as ever 89! You don't put all your eggs in one basket the club should have a number of targets especially as villa were adamant they were not selling. Its the competent way to do things not take all day to increase the offer on 1 player in small increments. WTF it take till late afternoon to lodge 2nd bid then late evening till 3rd bid. Crazy. You have a price range preplanned or do you think they were running back discussing the 2m increase for hours each time??!

Redarmy

Post by Redarmy »

g88ner wrote:
Fri Sep 02, 2022 5:07 pm
Retro Gunner wrote:
Fri Sep 02, 2022 4:53 pm

To be honest I hate that fucking term so please shoot me in the face if I say “number 6” again. I only said it because I was responding to someone else who used that term and I then ended up repeating it.

But yes, I meant a defensive midfielder. And yes, I know loads of us have been banging on about needing one for years but I just meant last week I don’t remember anyone saying that should be our priority signing. That’s all I meant.

I agree, 6 is a centre back. So is 5. Number 2 is right back, 3 left back, 4 is a defensive midfielder in my mind with 8 being box-to-box, 7 right midfield, 11 left midfield, 10 is playmaker and 9 is striker. Sorted :D
Dont tell me No 1 is goalkeeper :wink:

Defensive midfielder was always and still is a priority thats a given.....
Last edited by Redarmy on Fri Sep 02, 2022 6:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.