ALL Transfer talk - merged thread

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
augie

Re: ALL Transfer talk - merged thread

Post by augie »

the playing mantis wrote:
Thu Sep 01, 2022 10:06 pm
Absolute joke of a club we are.

Good window my arse, good signings in isolation, but we are again down on numbers and haven't improved key areas. Mirror image of January.

All the c.unts said we kept our powder dry in January and took a calculated gamble as summer was the most important and no one had expected top 4 last season and we were ahead of schedule.

Absolute load of old bollox. had we signed a striker in Jan we would now be in the CL and scum wouldnt, conte and kane would be gone. It would have made the difference.

And they kept their powder dry for what? to leave us short AGAIN. painfully thin upfront, and f all in CM. We shouldnt have been signing a CM due to the injuries, we should have anyway. The injuries just make it a travesty. To ship AMN and azeez out to boot rubs salt in to the wound.

The usual window lickers fan boys (sorry not meant to be toxic, just so pissed off) on here will say oh ben white can play DM, can he fuck, 6 times he did for brighton, they lost each time.

All the not spending in Jan to do our business in the summer has been proven to be utter crap.

We have made a brilliant start by beating weak teams who we would have slipped up against in the past, yes we played well, but signs have been there about clinicalness and CM nt controlling the games. Why oh why after making such a good start dont we double down and sign those 2 players that could really make us strong? Why does this club sell itslef short? Always 2 players away from a strong squad who can compete, We have EL to play, who is going to play CM when sambi is playing in the first team?

This will come back and bite us sorry to say it but it will and AGAIN its all our own fault. Edu, garlick are a joke. I don't necessarily blame arteta as he clearly wanted more players, as i said early how can we not have a back up for uiz given villa have said all along there not selling? All these other clubs get deals done promptly when needed, season long loans often for players who can make a difference, as victims and chavs have shown.

The only hope is its only 10ish games until the WC and then jan, but why take the risk? and the story will then be, its hard to do business in Jan and the markets overpriced. Rinse repeat in this endless cycle of doom. We wont make top 4 and it should spell edu and artetas jobs.

Sorry fr the rant just so frustrated we dont do we what need to especially when after such a good start

I wasnt as angry as many of you seem to be because I never expected us to sign a central midfieder, but then I read your post and it reminds me of the auba situation all over again, and it starts t boil my piss again :evil: As a manager/club you can only decide to sell/loan/release a player when you dont need him or have replacements coming, but it is madness that we allow two centre midfielders to leave at a time where we are anorexic in midfield options

Nos89

Post by Nos89 »

No doubt that'll bite us on the arse with injuries and suspension in the midfield before the next window. Still, we did get a couple of golden signings in and got rid of squad members that were simply not performing, or wanted to go. Tielemans no doubt holding out for a free transfer to boost his pay.
Overall, that was a great window of business for the club as undoubtedly the players brought in have massively improved the squad.

augie

Post by augie »

Nos89 wrote:
Fri Sep 02, 2022 8:07 am
No doubt that'll bite us on the arse with injuries and suspension in the midfield before the next window. Still, we did get a couple of golden signings in and got rid of squad members that were simply not performing, or wanted to go. Tielemans no doubt holding out for a free transfer to boost his pay.
Overall, that was a great window of business for the club as undoubtedly the players brought in have massively improved the squad.

Stop with that bu!!shit - every media report in the past couple of months has said that we had agreed personal terms with his agent but had yet to make an offer to leicester, but you want to defend the club by making out that Tielemens is greedy :roll: :oops: :oops: :oops: That is embarassing :roll:

GoonerMuzz

Post by GoonerMuzz »

Nos89 wrote:
No Nos, that is an exaggeration by a long way, ultimately it was a good start to the transfer window which ended with us being woefully short once again, by my count we brought in 5 players but sales/cancelled contracts and loans we had at least 9 or 10 leave. We are woefully short of a full squad depth if, sorry when we suffer any long term injuries or suspensions.

I'm struggling to put together a list of 20 experienced players currently. Bear in mind we have additional games this season compared to last and a world cup in the middle where a significant number of our best players will be going to participate with all that entails.

We have no third striker, we have no cover in CM if we have any more injuries, we have paper ankles Tierney and Partey, our current defensive replacements are Holding, White (if Tomi starts or vice versa), Soares and Zinchenko (if not needed to cover any midfield injuries), we have not replaced Pepe, Viera is untried and Arteta has stated Marqhuinios is not ready for first team football, and an untried goalkeeper from America.

Balogun and Patino all who were available from the bench last season are out on loan and potentially Azeez, however AMN, Torriera, Belerin, Laca and Pepe who would have been possible bench warmers are gone, not ideal players but available none have been replaced. There are a few other youngsters who might have made the bench who have gone on loan too.

Our net spend is in the region of £60-70M however we have probably saved that in wages, please tell me exactly how we have strengthened this season over last in terms of depth!!

Atrocious club transfer management which as been nothing but a money saving exercise, do not be fooled by being top of the league it means nothing 5 games in and already Partey is out for another couple of games at least and Elneny considerably longer.

the playing mantis

Post by the playing mantis »

We may get lucky and not get other injuries and we may do ok, but what's really annoys me and no one even 89 can defend is why? Why risk it? Why put ourselves in this situation.

It's senseless

Why spend 35m on Viera when he won't have an impact in the team for a while as he's backup and where theres already okenty of depth.Frivolous spending if money is tight.

Surely a competent club addresses the areas of need first. It just smacks of the wenger days of overstocking on lightweight attacking midfielders rather than addressing the glaring holes. The one thing i thought of arteta was that he didn't have such blindspots to the holes.

I just dont undertsnad it especially after such a good start why they have willingly left us short.

Retro Gunner

Post by Retro Gunner »

the playing mantis wrote:
Fri Sep 02, 2022 9:03 am
We may get lucky and not get other injuries and we may do ok, but what's really annoys me and no one even 89 can defend is why? Why risk it? Why put ourselves in this situation.

It's senseless

Why spend 35m on Viera when he won't have an impact in the team for a while as he's backup and where theres already okenty of depth.Frivolous spending if money is tight.

Surely a competent club addresses the areas of need first. It just smacks of the wenger days of overstocking on lightweight attacking midfielders rather than addressing the glaring holes. The one thing i thought of arteta was that he didn't have such blindspots to the holes.

I just dont undertsnad it especially after such a good start why they have willingly left us short.

I've always thought that the old fucker is coaching Arteta on the quiet and as one of the Old Fraud's favourites, Cone Boy will listen to everything Uncle Arsene tells him.

NickF98

Post by NickF98 »

GoonerMuzz wrote:
Fri Sep 02, 2022 8:20 am

Balogun and Patino all who were available from the bench last season are out on loan and potentially Azeez, however AMN, Torriera, Belerin, Laca and Pepe who would have been possible bench warmers
That is exactly what they are - bench warmers. None of them are likely to have any impact coming on, so get rid.

Nos89

Post by Nos89 »

augie wrote:
Fri Sep 02, 2022 8:19 am
Nos89 wrote:

Stop with that bu!!shit - every media report in the past couple of months has said that we had agreed personal terms with his agent but had yet to make an offer to leicester, but you want to defend the club by making out that Tielemens is greedy :roll: :oops: :oops: :oops: That is embarassing :roll:
Who said anything about Tielemans being greedy? I read on a few sources that he's happy where he is and wants to get the best deal for his next move. He rejected moves to Liverpool, Newcastle, Manure and Arsenal that I heard of.
It's like people forget on this forum that there other circumstances why players move/ don't move, it's not just down to Edu and Arteta. Douglas Luiz wants to move, club won't let him. Tielemans could've moved with a transfer fee or wait out 4 months and then negotiate a new deal for himself, Melo chose Liverpool out of 3 clubs, no doubt one was us.
People throwing tantrums like 4 year olds in a supermarket because Edu didn't buy the player they wanted. Get a grip.

Nos89

Post by Nos89 »

GoonerMuzz wrote:
Nos89 wrote:
No Nos, that is an exaggeration by a long way, ultimately it was a good start to the transfer window which ended with us being woefully short once again, by my count we brought in 5 players but sales/cancelled contracts and loans we had at least 9 or 10 leave. We are woefully short of a full squad depth if, sorry when we suffer any long term injuries or suspensions.

I'm struggling to put together a list of 20 experienced players currently. Bear in mind we have additional games this season compared to last and a world cup in the middle where a significant number of our best players will be going to participate with all that entails.

We have no third striker, we have no cover in CM if we have any more injuries, we have paper ankles Tierney and Partey, our current defensive replacements are Holding, White (if Tomi starts or vice versa), Soares and Zinchenko (if not needed to cover any midfield injuries), we have not replaced Pepe, Viera is untried and Arteta has stated Marqhuinios is not ready for first team football, and an untried goalkeeper from America.

Balogun and Patino all who were available from the bench last season are out on loan and potentially Azeez, however AMN, Torriera, Belerin, Laca and Pepe who would have been possible bench warmers are gone, not ideal players but available none have been replaced. There are a few other youngsters who might have made the bench who have gone on loan too.

Our net spend is in the region of £60-70M however we have probably saved that in wages, please tell me exactly how we have strengthened this season over last in terms of depth!!

Atrocious club transfer management which as been nothing but a money saving exercise, do not be fooled by being top of the league it means nothing 5 games in and already Partey is out for another couple of games at least and Elneny considerably longer.
Read we were borderlining on breaching financial fair play regulations, as were a few other clubs. Given the nature of how the club is run, profit first, team second not surprised we didn't land a midfielder. Thought we pulled the plug on AMN loan but we haven't. It only leaves us short temporarily, unlike January which left the cupboard totally bare for the rest of that season. We have enough defenders to cover DM role in the short term. I wouldn't be surprised if Douglas Luiz joined in January and Tielemans in the summer as long as we secure CL football. Till the world cup we have enough cover.

g88ner

Post by g88ner »

If you open your window and listen very carefully, you can just about hear Torreira and Guendouzi pissing themselves laughing at this moment :lol:

augie

Post by augie »

Nos89 wrote:
Fri Sep 02, 2022 10:21 am
augie wrote:
Nos89 wrote:

Who said anything about Tielemans being greedy? I read on a few sources that he's happy where he is and wants to get the best deal for his next move. He rejected moves to Liverpool, Newcastle, Manure and Arsenal that I heard of.
It's like people forget on this forum that there other circumstances why players move/ don't move, it's not just down to Edu and Arteta. Douglas Luiz wants to move, club won't let him. Tielemans could've moved with a transfer fee or wait out 4 months and then negotiate a new deal for himself, Melo chose Liverpool out of 3 clubs, no doubt one was us.
People throwing tantrums like 4 year olds in a supermarket because Edu didn't buy the player they wanted. Get a grip.

What are you basing that on ? I havent read or heard of a report from anywhere saying that any club put an offer in for Tielemens at any stage of the transfer window, and the only person claiming otherwise is a supporter whose default position is always to defend the club and manager :roll:

gooner265

Post by gooner265 »

Was gutted we didnt get Luiz as that would have completed our squad for the first hslf of the season. We are treading thin line now in the DM department , I think we're fine elsewhere though and Vieira will surprise some people , hes a big signing people seem to have forgotten about plus ESR to come in we have plenty of attacking options its the DM position thats the issue and always has been since Gilberto left.

I do thing January will be busier thsn usual because of the world cup being early , especially for plsyers not participating.

mcdowell42

Post by mcdowell42 »

augie wrote:
Fri Sep 02, 2022 11:50 am
Nos89 wrote:
augie wrote:
Nos89 wrote:

What are you basing that on ? I havent read or heard of a report from anywhere saying that any club put an offer in for Tielemens at any stage of the transfer window, and the only person claiming otherwise is a supporter whose default position is always to defend the club and manager :roll:

Augie going to play devil's advocate here, but could your default position be viewed as always slamming the club and the manager as opposed to Nos default position of always defending them 😉

GoonerMuzz

Post by GoonerMuzz »

NickF98 wrote:
Fri Sep 02, 2022 9:58 am
GoonerMuzz wrote:

Balogun and Patino all who were available from the bench last season are out on loan and potentially Azeez, however AMN, Torriera, Belerin, Laca and Pepe who would have been possible bench warmers
That is exactly what they are - bench warmers. None of them are likely to have any impact coming on, so get rid.
First team squad is currently 23 players, 2 short of the allowed max not including youngsters. That is a hell of a risk with more games to play and a world cup in the middle of the season.

When some players need a rest which they will I have little confidence in Soares, Sambi etc to step up when required.

I have no problem being rid of surplus bench warmers as long as they are replaced with better options, some of those who went haven't been replaced at all

augie

Post by augie »

mcdowell42 wrote:
Fri Sep 02, 2022 12:50 pm
augie wrote:
Fri Sep 02, 2022 11:50 am
Nos89 wrote:
augie wrote:
Nos89 wrote:

Augie going to play devil's advocate here, but could your default position be viewed as always slamming the club and the manager as opposed to Nos default position of always defending them 😉

I have no problem with anyone labelling me that way, but I will say again that I havent been slamming them this morning for not signing a midfielder like most others have - it has been obvious for weeks that we were not gonna bid for Tielemens (even though others tried to tell me I was wrong on that), but what I dont accept is some made up nonsense of non existent bids in an effort to defend the club on this issue.