ALL Transfer talk - merged thread

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
fivetothree

Re: ALL Transfer talk - merged thread

Post by fivetothree »

augie wrote:
Wed May 24, 2023 3:34 pm
Arsenal Till I Die wrote:
Wed May 24, 2023 2:19 pm
Nelson is far from good enough to be in this team, we need to cut him loose.

Why we continue to give new contracts to sub-par players like Nelson and Nketiah, I’ll never know.

Dunno if I would go that far, BUT what I will say is that if he isnt able to get fcuk all game time in last 9 games when all around him has been shit, then it should tell him how he is viewed by the basque clown and he should leave
He isn't really good enough to be a starter in the PL or CL, and that is the standard of player we need now. I am surprised that we have offered him a deal.

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

augie wrote:
Wed May 24, 2023 3:34 pm

Why we continue to give new contracts to sub-par players like Nelson and Nketiah, I’ll never know.

Dunno if I would go that far, BUT what I will say is that if he isnt able to get fcuk all game time in last 9 games when all around him has been shit, then it should tell him how he is viewed by the basque clown and he should leave
He's not good enough Augster. Bar one great goal this season he has been very average at best every time I've seen him play. One cracker of a goal is not enough. He looks mostly lost when he does get on the pitch. A shame but there it is.

BobbyPires7

Post by BobbyPires7 »

I think he’s looked our most dangerous forward for the last month. Whenever he is on the pitch something happens. He’s improved immeasurably from previous seasons.

fivetothree

Post by fivetothree »

If Saka was injured or off form, would you be comfortable him starting against the very best?

I'm just not sure that he is. He can obviously come off the bench and do something, but for us to challenge for the league again and go far in the champions league l don't think he is quite good enough.

The links with the likes of Raphinha and Diaby show that we are looking for more in that are.

BobbyPires7

Post by BobbyPires7 »

fivetothree wrote:
Wed May 24, 2023 7:34 pm
If Saka was injured or off form, would you be comfortable him starting against the very best?

I'm just not sure that he is. He can obviously come off the bench and do something, but for us to challenge for the league again and go far in the champions league l don't think he is quite good enough.

The links with the likes of Raphinha and Diaby show that we are looking for more in that are.
No I wouldn’t say he is. But it depends how we want to run the squad. City for example have a constant rotation of similarly talented players. I’m not sure we will ever be able to afford to do that. So we will invariably play a strong first 11 with players a level below coming on as impact players. I’d say Nelson is starting to kick on. Certainly looks like a player to me.

gooner265

Post by gooner265 »

BobbyPires7 wrote:
Wed May 24, 2023 7:46 pm
fivetothree wrote:
Wed May 24, 2023 7:34 pm

No I wouldn’t say he is. But it depends how we want to run the squad. City for example have a constant rotation of similarly talented players. I’m not sure we will ever be able to afford to do that. So we will invariably play a strong first 11 with players a level below coming on as impact players. I’d say Nelson is starting to kick on. Certainly looks like a player to me.
He's yet to convince me but we can only buy so many players this summer and mostly need to be starters so a new deal may not be the worst thing as a bench /rotation player thats if Arteta ever learns to rotate :-|

gooner265

Post by gooner265 »

augie wrote:
Tue May 23, 2023 6:49 pm
gooner265 wrote:
Tue May 23, 2023 3:22 pm
Jesus ,harsh lads , I think he is burnt out as Arteta never rotates , he hasnt had a break for three years. He didn't hide for the pen against West Ham , he didnt hide for the first one for us after the England miss either which he also stepped up for.

I know you're all angry for our poor last 8 months but theres other players to target before him.

He's clearly showed a lot of character already at such a young age , a 'hider' is the last thing I'd call him.

As Rodders said, if he was getting on the ball and it wasnt happening for him you could argue fatigue, but the reality is that he hasnt wanted the ball and has basically hid and taken himself out of the games
If he has maybe because he's burnt out , he hasnt missed a league game for two seasons. Even Pep rested De Bruyne early in the season , cost him some points but reaped the benefits at the end.
We'll have to agee to disagree but as per my examples before he is no hider for me.
Last edited by gooner265 on Thu May 25, 2023 9:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

rodders999

Post by rodders999 »

DB10GOONER wrote:
Wed May 24, 2023 8:27 am
rodders999 wrote:
Tue May 23, 2023 8:32 pm
You can’t come on here and slate everyone form the tea lady to the kit man (and everyone else in between) for collectively soiling their undies at the first sign of trouble and then at the same time give a free pass to our best (and now highest paid) player who disappeared off the face of the earth 2 months ago.
Not sure if that's addressed to me or not. But yeah I can. He's a young player and has been thrown into the deep end at both club and interlull level. Not every player has that required inner strength to keep playing at the top level. That's where a good manager comes in. He knows when to push players and he knows when to rest players.

To be honest I'm not giving Saka a full pass. It's a mix of him being overplayed and him maybe not being as consistently good as we'd like him to be. And there's not much anyine can do if thats the case. The same with most of our better players. But ultimately the responsibility for those individual players being on the pitch is down to the manager.

I'd also be interested to see where I've slated "everyone". I've praised players when they deserve it and criticised them when they deserve it too. Compared to a good few regulars on here I've not completely lost my shit over us bottling the league. I half expected it tbh.
If I'm addressing you it will be through the medium of erotic dance....as you well know by now :roll:

:wink:

Saka shouldn't get a free pass for the last 2 months just because he's a fan favourite (I love him), or because he's going to be world class (he will) or because he has been overplayed this season (he has). He's just signed a new contract that makes him by far the highest earner at the club and with that comes certain responsibilities/expectations, one of which is for him not to go AWOL for the business end of the last 2 seasons as he has now done.

If people are demanding elite performances, elite results and to win elite prizes then they need to demand the same from the club's elite player - which for some doesn't appear to be the case.

Basically I don't think he's been held to the same standards as others at the club.

mcdowell42

Post by mcdowell42 »

🚨 || Arsenal have reportedly made an offer of €17m (£15m) for Galatasaray RB, Sacha Boey but the Turkish side have said they want more around the €25m mark (£21m). Arsenal have asked for time to consider [Via - @NevzatDindar].

mcdowell42

Post by mcdowell42 »

Cedric ready to fight for his place at Arsenal after loan spell at Fulham. Has one year left on his contract.

:lol: :lol:

BobbyPires7

Post by BobbyPires7 »

mcdowell42 wrote:
Thu May 25, 2023 10:20 am
Cedric ready to fight for his place at Arsenal after loan spell at Fulham. Has one year left on his contract.

:lol: :lol:
He’s ready to fight for his wages, which he won’t be paid anywhere else. £90k per week as I recall.

BobbyPires7

Post by BobbyPires7 »

I see Bayern Munich are making noises for Rice.

gooner265

Post by gooner265 »

BobbyPires7 wrote:
Thu May 25, 2023 10:26 am
I see Bayern Munich are making noises for Rice.
They are but wont pay the fee asked apparently , will be priced out unless they include a player. Poch is also interested it is rumoured.

mcdowell42

Post by mcdowell42 »

🚨Manchester United have joined the race to sign Declan Rice this summer. Arsenal are most advanced in their interest, however, well-placed sources have indicated that Arsenal’s initial valuation of Rice falls more than £10m short of West Ham’s price. [@SamiMokbel81_DM]

BobbyPires7

Post by BobbyPires7 »

We won’t get Rice. Too many bidders. West Ham will just go with the highest regardless of what Rice himself wants to do.