other matches this weekend - Sean Dyche appreciation thread!

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
Perryashburtongroves

Re: other matches this weekend

Post by Perryashburtongroves »

rodders999 wrote:
Wed Jun 07, 2023 8:58 pm
On the brink of European glory, their wait for a major trophy is over.

What’s this fucking geezer on, this is the zenith data systems, rumbelows cup of Europe.

A made up competition for teams that finished 7th in their leagues FFS.

Quite laughable that the spammers are about to join such heavyweights as Swansea, Wigan and Leicester as clubs to have won anything more recently than the scum.

BobbyPires7

Post by BobbyPires7 »

Tinpot. Lowest quality trophy you can win across Europe.

Rian1

Post by Rian1 »

Let’s not act like we wouldn’t be over the moon with this trophy. We can hate a club without taking away an achievement, lads 😂

IW8Goalmachine

Post by IW8Goalmachine »

Rian1 wrote:
Wed Jun 07, 2023 9:10 pm
Let’s not act like we wouldn’t be over the moon with this trophy. We can hate a club without taking away an achievement, lads 😂
I doubt many people would be bothered about it

Perryashburtongroves

Rian1 wrote:
If we were over the moon with this, I'd be worried.

Natural Born Gooner

Post by Natural Born Gooner »

Don't think I've heard anything more cringy in my life then the commentarywhen that Spammer goal went in. Savage is an utter Bellends.

rodders999

Post by rodders999 »

The concept of a third European competition is actually a good idea, christ knows we had some unbelievable highs (and depressing lows) playing in the cup winners cup back in the 90s.

Problem is UEFA killed that concept by allowing every Tom, Dick & Harry into the European Cup/UEFA cup.

Back then the third tier competition had real merit consisting of teams that won their domestic cups, now it’s to allow the 7th placed teams in Italy, Spain, Germany and England have something to do of a Thursday night.

It’s absolute tin pot.

Rian1

Post by Rian1 »

Perryashburtongroves wrote:
Wed Jun 07, 2023 9:18 pm
Rian1 wrote:
Not sure if we can be worried.. since we haven’t won any European cups. Conference League is still acceptable.

Perryashburtongroves

Rian1 wrote:
Wed Jun 07, 2023 9:26 pm
Rian1 wrote:
Not sure if we can be worried.. since we haven’t won any European cups. Conference League is still acceptable.
I don't dispute that it's ok to win it, someone has to but really, it's for teams like the shammers to have a go at winning. If we need to win that to feel good about ourselves, I'd be seriously concerned.

Rian1

Post by Rian1 »

rodders999 wrote:
The concept of a third European competition is actually a good idea, christ knows we had some unbelievable highs (and depressing lows) playing in the cup winners cup back in the 90s.

Problem is UEFA killed that concept by allowing every Tom, Dick & Harry into the European Cup/UEFA cup.

Back then the third tier competition had real merit consisting of teams that won their domestic cups, now it’s to allow the 7th placed teams in Italy, Spain, Germany and England have something to do of a Thursday night.

It’s absolute tin pot.
I think the idea is correct and the execution of it is okay too. What you’re suggesting sounds good but then it’ll be essentially a lesser quality CL/EL competition where the domestic cup holders of your big 5 leagues play for a cup. What happens if those domestic cup holders are already in Europe as are the runner ups? Creates chaos

BobbyPires7

Post by BobbyPires7 »

Rian1 wrote:
Rian1 wrote:
Have you actually thought through what the achievement is though? So in this competition you have absolute dross from across Europe plus the 7th best English, Spanish, Italian and German club. You will also get drop outs from anyone finishing third in a Europa group. So possibly a few other similar standard teams at best. Are you seriously saying that being the best 7th placed side in Europe is an achievement? :lol:

rodders999

Post by rodders999 »

Rian1 wrote:
They beat AEK Larnaka, Gent, Alkmaar and Fiorentina to win it out.

And that was just the knockout stages, fuck knows what pubbers they faced in the group.

It’s a made up competition for teams who finished mid-table in their domestic leagues, it’s a complete joke of a trophy.

Rian1

Post by Rian1 »

Wed Jun 07, 2023 9:28 pm
Rian1 wrote:
Rian1 wrote:
I don't dispute that it's ok to win it, someone has to but really, it's for teams like the shammers to have a go at winning. If we need to win that to feel good about ourselves, I'd be seriously concerned.
Let’s face it, Conference League will always be won by a “questionable” team. The pool of teams in that competition is always those shite teams in league standing that have a decent Thursday outing. Fiorentina, West Ham, Basel, AZ, Anderlecht, Poznan.. no one has had a good domestic season.

Yes, I’d be worried if Arsenal finds themselves in Conference League but I wouldn’t be upset for winning it.

rodders999

Post by rodders999 »

Rian1 wrote:
Wed Jun 07, 2023 9:31 pm
rodders999 wrote:

It’s absolute tin pot.
I think the idea is correct and the execution of it is okay too. What you’re suggesting sounds good but then it’ll be essentially a lesser quality CL/EL competition where the domestic cup holders of your big 5 leagues play for a cup. What happens if those domestic cup holders are already in Europe as are the runner ups? Creates chaos
That’s exactly my point, by bloating the numbers in the first 2 competitions UEFA killed the requirement for the third so they did away with it.

Now they’ve brought it back due to greed and in a bid to appease the clubs form the bigger leagues to allow even more of them .play in a midweek competition.

7 out of the 20 PL clubs now qualify for Europe, no doubt some day it will be all 20 :roll:

The emirates cup is of a higher standard than this shite FFS.

BobbyPires7

Post by BobbyPires7 »

rodders999 wrote:
Wed Jun 07, 2023 9:42 pm
Rian1 wrote:
Wed Jun 07, 2023 9:31 pm
rodders999 wrote:

It’s absolute tin pot.
That’s exactly my point, by bloating the numbers in the first 2 competitions UEFA killed the requirement for the third so they did away with it.

Now they’ve brought it back due to greed and in a bid to appease the clubs form the bigger leagues to allow even more of them .play in a midweek competition.

7 out of the 20 PL clubs now qualify for Europe, no doubt some day it will be all 20 :roll:

The emirates cup is of a higher standard than this shite FFS.
Next season we now have 8 out of 20. West Ham go into Europa. :lol: