Streaming Advice

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
Clummo99

Re: Streaming Advice

Post by Clummo99 »

rodders999 wrote:
Sun Nov 06, 2022 11:54 am
My sky contract ended this week so they’ve gone in the fucking bin. Robbing caaaaaaants.

I signed up to Drogon last week for the Forrest game and cast from my phone to my tv to watch. Superb quality.

Just spent the last hour linking it to a fire stick so I can watch direct from the telly (what a fucking dose that was - entering those long URLs with the Amazon remote is a killer - I duplicated one letter and it wouldn’t work - took me ages to find out where I went wrong :banghead: )

Would Dragon plus Stremio, that Clummo mentions above, be the way to go for all the other channels or would it be better going for the IPTV option on the previous page. Thinking sky Atlantic, bbc and all the the rest for her indoors.

I only signed up for a month with Drogon to test it out so can stick or twist.
Stremio is VOD (video on demand) similar to Netflix, Prime etc so is the better option imo Rodders. You watch what you want when you want and aren't restricted to broadcast schedules. Only caveat is its prudent to use a vpn to hide what you're doing as you could receive a letter from your service provider without one.

Also you should use a url shortener like https://bitly.com for entering those urls. Paste the long address in, click on Create and it gives you a much easier url to enter with a remote. :wink:

rodders999

Post by rodders999 »

Nice one Clummo, I’ll give that a bash so.

Indulge me for a sec here because I’m fucking clueless :oops: Do I then just turn on the VPN whenever I’d go to use the Stremio app or just leave it turned on all the time?

Also does any one else on here suffer from judder ball (easy now :wink: ) when watching matches on Drogon. When the ball is being passed slowly around the back it’s fine but when there’s a goal kick up the pitch or shot when the ball is moving quickly I get multiple balls on my screen.

I’ve an LG tv and have tried fucking around with the motion settings but still suffer from judder ball. Any help to reduce the number of balls on my tv would be very much appreciated.

Clummo99

Post by Clummo99 »

You only need to "hide" what you're connecting to so if you use an Ireland or UK vpn server then it's fine to just leave it on permanently, you shouldn't see much difference in download speed.

Some vpn apps have a thing called Split Tunnelling in the Settings. This allows you to choose which apps run through the vpn server. So having it permanently On and allowing your Drogon player (whatever it is you use) to have access to the server would be the best option. Any apps not Active in the Split Tunneling setting won't run through the vpn even when it's turned on.

Regarding your juddering balls, :oops:...... Drogon streams tend to be 30 fps (frames per second) or 60 fps so ideally your TV screen refresh rate needs to match the stream fps.

The Now Sports streams they use are 1080p/60fps so if your TV is set to lower than 60fps you won't actually see half of the frames in the broadcast, hence fast moving objects will appear to jump forward and not flow smoothly.

You can also check the settings in the app you use to watch Drogon and see if there's an option to match the playback framerate to the stream framerate. The issue could be in there and not necessarily your TV settings. If you're unsure always set the refresh rate to the highest setting you can.

Nerdy answer complete, Hope that made some sense! :lol: Good luck.

rodders999

Post by rodders999 »

What. The. Actual. Fuck. :lol:

I just followed the instructions on the Drogon website to set myself up on Firestick and it said use Perfect Player. I’ll have a look at that and see if I can mess with the settings to ease my balls.

I’m not watching Drogon with a VPN, should I be? Don’t want the CIA coming down my chimney locked and loaded (again) 8)

Clummo99

Post by Clummo99 »

rodders999 wrote:
Sun Nov 06, 2022 8:38 pm
What. The. Actual. Fuck. :lol:

I just followed the instructions on the Drogon website to set myself up on Firestick and it said use Perfect Player. I’ll have a look at that and see if I can mess with the settings to ease my balls.

I’m not watching Drogon with a VPN, should I be? Don’t want the CIA coming down my chimney locked and loaded (again) 8)
Their instructions are simple just to get you able to watch on your TV, it's not meant for fussy fûckers like you! :lol:

No vpn needed for Drogon only recommended for Stremio if you use it.

Clummo99

Post by Clummo99 »

Here's my modded Tivimate app if anyone wants to use it. It's by far the best player out there imo. Type the url into the Downloader app to install onto a firestick.

https://bit.ly/tivimodapk

Go to Settings and Playlists to Add a new Playlist and enter your Drogon details to get the ultimate TV app with TV Guide and even a recording option if you have enough storage on your device. :barscarf:

rodders999

Post by rodders999 »

I was just going to ask you what player you use because I can find fuck all frame rate settings on perfect player.

Will try that now.

Having said that I was also experiencing judder ball for the Forrest game when casting from my phone to the tv which makes me think it’s a tv issue.

Clummo99

Post by Clummo99 »

Try looking for something like AFR (auto frame rate) in Perfect Player settings. Could be called something like that.

rodders999

Post by rodders999 »

Installed your player and turned on AFR in the settings but still have juddery balls :shock:

It says its playing at 25FPS - that bad?

Clummo99

Post by Clummo99 »

Can only think it's your TV settings then as you said.

25 or 30fps is perfectly fine, thats standard TV broadcast.

Will definitely be something to do with the framerate though.

rodders999

Post by rodders999 »

Nice one. Will have a Google then arse about with the settings to see if I stumble across the right one :barscarf:

nut flush gooner

Post by nut flush gooner »

rodders999 wrote:
Sun Nov 06, 2022 11:20 pm
Nice one. Will have a Google then arse about with the settings to see if I stumble across the right one :barscarf:
I managed to get Drogon working with the firestick Rodders. Was a bit of a ballache, but I kept sending tickets to Drogon support when I hit a brick wall. In fairness they reply usually within a few hours, so give it a try again.

Finally got there after a bit of perseverance.

Wouldn't call myself a techie either, well O Level Computer Science isn't much use these days!

rodders999

Post by rodders999 »

nut flush gooner wrote:
Tue Nov 08, 2022 7:23 am
rodders999 wrote:
I managed to get Drogon working with the firestick Rodders. Was a bit of a ballache, but I kept sending tickets to Drogon support when I hit a brick wall. In fairness they reply usually within a few hours, so give it a try again.

Wouldn't call myself a techie either, well O Level Computer Science isn't much use these days!
:lol:

It’s not the destination it’s the journey!

My fire stick journey began on Sunday for the chavs match, got Drogon on it relatively easily but have no EPG (URL is correct as far as I can see) and have fast motion blur which I’m still trying to resolve.

Clummo mentioned Stremio a few pages back and I added that last night. Easy enough to do and a massive amount of content on it. I struggled at the start trying to figure out what add ons are needed to get stuff to play but stumbled over the line in the end. I choose a stream size of 1GB or under and it plays flawlessly (anything over that and I find I get a lot of buffering).

Forked out for Express VPN to keep the feds from the door, anyone know what country I should set myself to be in to keep myself out of porridge this Chrimbo :oops:

It’s on all the time but no idea if I’m using it correctly….haven’t had an email form my ISP yet anyway!

nut flush gooner

Post by nut flush gooner »

rodders999 wrote:
Tue Nov 08, 2022 8:31 am
nut flush gooner wrote:
rodders999 wrote:

My fire stick journey began on Sunday for the chavs match, got Drogon on it relatively easily but have no EPG (URL is correct as far as I can see) and have fast motion blur which I’m still trying to resolve.

Clummo mentioned Stremio a few pages back and I added that last night. Easy enough to do and a massive amount of content on it. I struggled at the start trying to figure out what add ons are needed to get stuff to play but stumbled over the line in the end. I choose a stream size of 1GB or under and it plays flawlessly (anything over that and I find I get a lot of buffering).

Forked out for Express VPN to keep the feds from the door, anyone know what country I should set myself to be in to keep myself out of porridge this Chrimbo :oops:

It’s on all the time but no idea if I’m using it correctly….haven’t had an email form my ISP yet anyway!
Nice one, I am sticking on Drogon for the time being. It's a PAYG sub for BT Sport, not ready to bin Sky Sports just yet as I always haggle their price down.

BTW I am not sure Clummo should have mentioned Stremio to you. There's no doubt a lot of exotic channels that you might accidentally on purpose stumble across!

:barscarf: :barscarf: :D :D :D

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

rodders999 wrote:
Tue Nov 08, 2022 8:31 am
nut flush gooner wrote:
rodders999 wrote:

Rodders, I had a chat with a lad from our legal department here. He says a vpn is legal in Ireland, no problem at all. The issue is if you use that vpn to conduct illegal activities. Watching copyrighted content without paying the copyright owner is an illegal activity. To qualify him, he also uses a vpn.

The interesting bit is that the law here also says the onus is on the copyright holder to bring malcreants like yourself :wink: to justice, not on the ISP. Given that there must be millions using vpn here he doubts any copyright holder would have the time or finances to go hunting vpn users individually, and the ISP's don't have to.

Worse case scenario, you could get caught up in a massive (and usually random) access search, but such things are not common here yet, they are mostly aimed at the dark web by the GNCCB. Once you are not watching anything on the dark web they'll most likely ignore you, as dodgy web surfing and streaming are not part of their remit.

I've also noticed most legit content providers like Netflix and Amazon have a blocker in place so if you have your vpn running you then cannot watch a movie on say Netflix on your Firestick. You'll get a pop up saying why.

Personally, I just turn my vpn off when using those channels and switch it back on for the footy.