Mikel Arteta, success or failure? - Merged thread.

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.

Will he ?

Have a statue erected after 30 glorious years service?
9%
Be a success, pick up a few trophies and put the club back on an even keel?
27%
Be a moderate success, before handing over to a more high profile successor?
20%
Be an utter fucking disaster?
45%

Total votes: 101

Jayives

Re: Mikel Arteta, success or failure? - Merged thread.

Post by Jayives »

SteveO 35 wrote:
Sun Nov 21, 2021 9:21 pm
Amazing reading some of the comments on here

When we used to get battered at Anfield, Stamford Bridge and the Etihad under Wenger and Emery people went fucking ape shit

Under Arteta supposedly we shouldn’t expect anything else (even though the likes of Brighton have gone up there and got a point)

That defeat yesterday was as lame as the 0-3 home game against them and as anything either of the previous managers served up

Nobody is suggesting we should be finishing above them, but is it too much to ask for a team to give City or Liverpool a decent game on occasion?
We won an fa cup beating city and chelsea in the semi and final. Have you forgot.

Arteta has presided over three wins against Liverpool as Arsenal manager – including one victory at Anfield in the last 16 of the League Cup. His record against the top 6 I believe is better than his predecessor and Wengers more recent results

So can I ask. What on Earth are you talking about ?

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

Jayives wrote:
Sun Nov 21, 2021 9:37 pm
SteveO 35 wrote:

When we used to get battered at Anfield, Stamford Bridge and the Etihad under Wenger and Emery people went fucking ape shit

Under Arteta supposedly we shouldn’t expect anything else (even though the likes of Brighton have gone up there and got a point)

That defeat yesterday was as lame as the 0-3 home game against them and as anything either of the previous managers served up

Nobody is suggesting we should be finishing above them, but is it too much to ask for a team to give City or Liverpool a decent game on occasion?
We won an fa cup beating city and chelsea in the semi and final. Have you forgot.

Arteta has presided over three wins against Liverpool as Arsenal manager – including one victory at Anfield in the last 16 of the League Cup. His record against the top 6 I believe is better than his predecessor and Wengers more recent results

Wenger managed to beat City and Chelsea en route to winning an FA Cup, so if that was the be all and end all, he would still be here wouldn't he?

Emery's team also drew 5-5 at Anfield in the League Cup - a competition that Liverpool play an almost entire academy team in these days

Our league performances against City and Liverpool have been consistently fucking awful and you know it.....so stop trying to be a smart ass quoting the odd Cup game

Jayives

Post by Jayives »

SteveO 35 wrote:
Sun Nov 21, 2021 10:03 pm
Jayives wrote:
SteveO 35 wrote:

Wenger managed to beat City and Chelsea en route to winning an FA Cup, so if that was the be all and end all, he would still be here wouldn't he?

Emery's team also drew 5-5 at Anfield in the League Cup - a competition that Liverpool play an almost entire academy team in these days

Our league performances against City and Liverpool have been consistently fucking awful and you know it.....so stop trying to be a smart ass quoting the odd Cup game
He’s also beat chelsea, spurs and united in the league too and the way you are carrying on ignores the fact we generally look better in these games than we did under wenger in his final decade and emery.

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

Jayives wrote:
Sun Nov 21, 2021 10:12 pm
SteveO 35 wrote:
Jayives wrote:
SteveO 35 wrote:

He’s also beat chelsea, spurs and united in the league too and the way you are carrying on ignores the fact we generally look better in these games than we did under wenger in his final decade and emery.
Do you honestly believe that last statement?

The 3 games against City, Chelsea and Liverpool this season have seen us score the grand total of zero goals (and barely register a shot worthy of the name) and concede 11

All three performances were absolutely pathetic. As gutless and spineless as anything the previous managers dished up

Only Ramsdale saved us from something approaching the 8 goal OT shame under Wenger

Jayives

Post by Jayives »

SteveO 35 wrote:
Sun Nov 21, 2021 10:16 pm
Jayives wrote:
SteveO 35 wrote:
Jayives wrote:
SteveO 35 wrote:

The 3 games against City, Chelsea and Liverpool this season have seen us score the grand total of zero goals (and barely register a shot worthy of the name) and concede 11

All three performances were absolutely pathetic. As gutless and spineless as anything the previous managers dished up

Only Ramsdale saved us from something approaching the 8 goal OT shame under Wenger
Yes I do, I lost count of the amount of times we got totally battered by these sides under wenger in the end.

Our 3 games have indeed been shocking but 2 of them were before most of our new signings had settled when we were savaged by covid absences also. I’d like to see us replay that chelsea game now our signings have bedded in, I think we would fair much better.

No point boiling gallons of your own piss about that result I didn’t for one second expect us to get a result.

It’s plain to see this side is a work in progress. Yesterday wasn’t really our battle, not enough experience in the side, missing 2 or 3 of the type of players required to get a result.

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

Jayives wrote:
Sun Nov 21, 2021 10:24 pm
SteveO 35 wrote:
Jayives wrote:
SteveO 35 wrote:
Jayives wrote:

Yes I do, I lost count of the amount of times we got totally battered by these sides under wenger in the end.

Our 3 games have indeed been shocking but 2 of them were before most of our new signings had settled when we were savaged by covid absences also. I’d like to see us replay that chelsea game now our signings have bedded in, I think we would fair much better.

No point boiling gallons of your own piss about that result I didn’t for one second expect us to get a result.

It’s plain to see this side is a work in progress. Yesterday wasn’t really our battle, not enough experience in the side, missing 2 or 3 of the type of players required to get a result.
We will see early in the New Year, given that its City on 1st Jan, and Chelsea in early February. Personally I fear more of the same

I'd also add that this season we are virtually injury free - something that i can't remember for years on end - and nor do we have the distraction of European football so fitness should most definitely not be an issue. Sorry but we should be able to compete with Liverpool as well as Brighton or West Ham can- and we simply can't. In my mind that's because we have someone in charge who simply doesn't have the managerial experience and nous to get a result in the way that Potter or Moyes were able too

Jayives

Post by Jayives »

SteveO 35 wrote:
Sun Nov 21, 2021 10:35 pm
Jayives wrote:
SteveO 35 wrote:
Jayives wrote:
SteveO 35 wrote:

We will see early in the New Year, given that its City on 1st Jan, and Chelsea in early February. Personally I fear more of the same

I'd also add that this season we are virtually injury free - something that i can't remember for years on end - and nor do we have the distraction of European football so fitness should most definitely not be an issue. Sorry but we should be able to compete with Liverpool as well as Brighton or West Ham can- and we simply can't. In my mind that's because we have someone in charge who simply doesn't have the managerial experience and nous to get a result in the way that Potter or Moyes were able too
Brighton drew, I mean how great is that. Our first 2 goals we let in were individual errors. Really hard to legislate that the managers experience has anything to do with them really. Also we are above plenty of older managers in the league.

Emery who had plenty of exeprience played Guardiola 12 times with us and different clubs and didn’t win once.

At the end of the day Liverpool and city are 2 of the best sides in Europe unfortunately.

BobbyPires7

Post by BobbyPires7 »

Jay. You need to start taking the pills again. It’s not good for you when you stop taking your medication.

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

Jayives wrote:
Sun Nov 21, 2021 10:47 pm
SteveO 35 wrote:
Jayives wrote:
SteveO 35 wrote:
Jayives wrote:

Brighton drew, I mean how great is that. Our first 2 goals we let in were individual errors. Really hard to legislate that the managers experience has anything to do with them really. Also we are above plenty of older managers in the league.

Emery who had plenty of exeprience played Guardiola 12 times with us and different clubs and didn’t win once.

At the end of the day Liverpool and city are 2 of the best sides in Europe unfortunately.
Take the piss out of Brighton with your sarcastic wit all you like, but when I see an Arsenal side come from 2 goals down at Anfield to get a draw (and be denied a win by VAR) under Arteta anytime soon I'll make you right.

We've scored 13 goals in 12 games - a team with the likes of Aubameyang, Lacazette, Smith Rowe, Saka, Odegaard.....plus Nketiah and Balogun in reserve (players that other PL clubs were linked with over the Summer). By comparison Watford have scored 16, Burnley 14, Newcastle 15 and Brentford 16. Ask the managers of any of those clubs if they'd rather have the attacking talent we have compared to the options at their disposal. I'm sure Eddie Howe is much happier with Joelinton :roll: Chris Wood, anyone? :roll:

Away from home, our goal tally is 3 in 6 games. Only Norwich have scored less with 2

If this is the sort of football you find progressive or even the slightest bit entertaining I'll send you some videos of Don Howe's worst Arsenal teams, because even they played better football than Captain Black's shower

Jayives

Post by Jayives »

SteveO 35 wrote:
Mon Nov 22, 2021 8:43 am
Jayives wrote:
SteveO 35 wrote:
Jayives wrote:
SteveO 35 wrote:

Take the piss out of Brighton with your sarcastic wit all you like, but when I see an Arsenal side come from 2 goals down at Anfield to get a draw (and be denied a win by VAR) under Arteta anytime soon I'll make you right.

We've scored 13 goals in 12 games - a team with the likes of Aubameyang, Lacazette, Smith Rowe, Saka, Odegaard.....plus Nketiah and Balogun in reserve (players that other PL clubs were linked with over the Summer). By comparison Watford have scored 16, Burnley 14, Newcastle 15 and Brentford 16. Ask the managers of any of those clubs if they'd rather have the attacking talent we have compared to the options at their disposal. I'm sure Eddie Howe is much happier with Joelinton :roll: Chris Wood, anyone? :roll:

Away from home, our goal tally is 3 in 6 games. Only Norwich have scored less with 2

If this is the sort of football you find progressive or even the slightest bit entertaining I'll send you some videos of Don Howe's worst Arsenal teams, because even they played better football than Captain Black's shower
See there’s plenty of valid points here. Congratulations this is a good post !

Yep we obviously have issues creating chances as far as I’m concerned, yep we miss a creative and competitive midfield force I think. Yes sometimes our football is expressive and other times it doesn’t work.

All I’ll say is we currently sit 5th in the table and we have the youngest team in the league, how much better than that do you think we should be fairing with this squad ? Even with my bias I cant honestly say we should be top 3 without bursting out laughing.

Who knows maybe the bad run of form you seem desperate for may occur? maybe Arteta isn’t the right guy but we’re not sacking a manager whilst the results and performances are moving upwards so try and curtail the voices inside your head for a bit and see how it pans out why not ?

We are going to have to resort to being content with giving those 3 sides a bloody nose every once in a while whilst we rebuild.

Nos89

Post by Nos89 »

Arteta is now into his 3rd season as a manger and by that standing we can no longer throw in the argument of having no experience. In that time he has taken over a shambles of an ego bloated, individualistic dysfunctional team and started the long road to getting the team to look like an Arsenal team. In that time he has won an FA Cup, Community Shield and a Europa League semi final. We've bottomed out in the league by finishing 8th for two consecutive seasons. We have lost to the current European Champion, the current League Champions and a team that has won both in the last 3 seasons and are back in the hunt for those three trophies. After 3 games this season we were bottom of the league, 8 games later we are holding our own in 5th. Under both wenger and emery there would be no argument with that.
Reality is we are growing as a team. The players Arteta has brought in have made significant contribution in improving the quality of the previously dysfunctional squad. If supporters want to continue to slate the team and management after a 4-0 defeat by Liverpool then you are clearly not being realistic in your opinion of where we are as a team, squad and club.
Amongst all this slagging off I've not read a single opinion that has argued with what Arteta did wrong with team selection, tactics and attitude. Again it's been brushed under the carpet that Mane led with his arm and elbowed Tommi that led to the touchline bust up.
Tactically up front if lacazette plays he needs to be through the middle with Auba on the left, Smith Rowe in behind the striker and closer to Saka as the understanding those two have is telepathic. Playing them on opposite wings is too far apart. Against Liverpool the space will always be on the wings behind their attacking full backs. We did this well when we've beaten them over the last two seasons, so we know we can do it. It's the lack of intelligence on the pitch to be switched on and find these passes, Saka and Auba were finding space but the ball was being played short too often. The players needed to mix it up a bit and I think that is what Ramsdale was talking about in his post match interview. A draw or a win would've have given this team a false sense ability and we probably end up losing the next two or three games because their egos would've got the better of them. A humbling defeat will get the team working hard to avoid it happening again, which with the run of games we've got coming up we will need that resilient mentality to ensure we win more than we draw/ lose.

Jayives

Post by Jayives »

Nos89 wrote:
Mon Nov 22, 2021 1:33 pm
Arteta is now into his 3rd season as a manger and by that standing we can no longer throw in the argument of having no experience. In that time he has taken over a shambles of an ego bloated, individualistic dysfunctional team and started the long road to getting the team to look like an Arsenal team. In that time he has won an FA Cup, Community Shield and a Europa League semi final. We've bottomed out in the league by finishing 8th for two consecutive seasons. We have lost to the current European Champion, the current League Champions and a team that has won both in the last 3 seasons and are back in the hunt for those three trophies. After 3 games this season we were bottom of the league, 8 games later we are holding our own in 5th. Under both wenger and emery there would be no argument with that.
Reality is we are growing as a team. The players Arteta has brought in have made significant contribution in improving the quality of the previously dysfunctional squad. If supporters want to continue to slate the team and management after a 4-0 defeat by Liverpool then you are clearly not being realistic in your opinion of where we are as a team, squad and club.
Amongst all this slagging off I've not read a single opinion that has argued with what Arteta did wrong with team selection, tactics and attitude. Again it's been brushed under the carpet that Mane led with his arm and elbowed Tommi that led to the touchline bust up.
Tactically up front if lacazette plays he needs to be through the middle with Auba on the left, Smith Rowe in behind the striker and closer to Saka as the understanding those two have is telepathic. Playing them on opposite wings is too far apart. Against Liverpool the space will always be on the wings behind their attacking full backs. We did this well when we've beaten them over the last two seasons, so we know we can do it. It's the lack of intelligence on the pitch to be switched on and find these passes, Saka and Auba were finding space but the ball was being played short too often. The players needed to mix it up a bit and I think that is what Ramsdale was talking about in his post match interview. A draw or a win would've have given this team a false sense ability and we probably end up losing the next two or three games because their egos would've got the better of them. A humbling defeat will get the team working hard to avoid it happening again, which with the run of games we've got coming up we will need that resilient mentality to ensure we win more than we draw/ lose.
:barscarf:

Really good summary. A refreshing and uplifting retort to those consumed by unwarranted misery.

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

Jayives wrote:
Mon Nov 22, 2021 11:23 am
SteveO 35 wrote:
Mon Nov 22, 2021 8:43 am
Jayives wrote:
SteveO 35 wrote:
Jayives wrote:

See there’s plenty of valid points here. Congratulations this is a good post !

Yep we obviously have issues creating chances as far as I’m concerned, yep we miss a creative and competitive midfield force I think. Yes sometimes our football is expressive and other times it doesn’t work.

All I’ll say is we currently sit 5th in the table and we have the youngest team in the league, how much better than that do you think we should be fairing with this squad ? Even with my bias I cant honestly say we should be top 3 without bursting out laughing.

Who knows maybe the bad run of form you seem desperate for may occur? maybe Arteta isn’t the right guy but we’re not sacking a manager whilst the results and performances are moving upwards so try and curtail the voices inside your head for a bit and see how it pans out why not ?

We are going to have to resort to being content with giving those 3 sides a bloody nose every once in a while whilst we rebuild.
I'm afraid you'll need to find someone of school age to provoke or wind up with your attempt at slick, patronising banter my friend. Second sign of desperation is to then throw in the usual nonsense about "being desperate" for the team to fail - yawn. We can carry on the chat late night on Thursday 2nd when I'll be up at Old Trafford, because yes you're absolutely right.....I'm taking the day off work to travel up there and get back at 3am to desperately cheer for Man United :roll: :roll:

I say what I see in front of me - regardless of 40+ years of support. I've seen Howe, the worst of GG in his last few years, Rioch, Emery and not one of them has produced such consistently boring, over coached, uninventive football whilst having such an array of attacking players at their disposal. I have no ambition of us finishing in the top 3 whatsoever - its unrealistic beyond the dreams of even the most deluded Gooner. However, I'd like to think having spent over 100 games at the helm and invested 160m in one window that we're capable of getting better than a flattering 4-0 defeat at Anfield............heaven only knows that was one of the main reasons why Wenger and Emery copped so much flack because apparently we were tactically naive and wide open defensively.

wibble

Post by wibble »

Genuinely good to see some debate on here without folk resorting to (too many!) personal insults.

FWIW I think we have made some improvements this season, we’ve got a better keeper, right back and as much as white hasn’t fully convinced me he’s better than holding or Luiz. Also, whilst Tavares had a shocker against Liverpool he’s a young player and is already better than kolasinic!

We definitely need to improve on the amount of chances created and goals scored though with the attacking talent at our disposal.

BobbyPires7

Post by BobbyPires7 »

I’ve been thinking about our current position for what seems like hours this week. It’s depressed me to be honest. How we went from a team of invincibles to the current shit show is a scandal. It’s been said before but Wenger’s fiddling with a fucking great team in order to attempt a vanity project youth could well have cost us winning the title again in our lifetime. He was basically 8 nil up and then decided to take half of the team off and put on the under 16s. In the interim City, Chelsea and now Newcastle have won the lottery and will never be caught. Liverpool and United are huge clubs that we were already behind in terms of fan base. I don’t see us competing with either.

Basically we are fucked and whatever it is Arteta is trying will not work. We are also rans. We fucked our chance to establish a dynasty when Wenger lost his marbles. Kroenke has reinforced it. We may win the odd cup. That is your lot. We are done winning league titles in our lifetimes.