Mikel Arteta, success or failure? - Merged thread.

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.

Will he ?

Have a statue erected after 30 glorious years service?
9%
Be a success, pick up a few trophies and put the club back on an even keel?
27%
Be a moderate success, before handing over to a more high profile successor?
20%
Be an utter fucking disaster?
44%

Total votes: 100

nut flush gooner

Re: Mikel Arteta, success or failure? - Merged thread.

Post by nut flush gooner »

Remember Bobby Pires and Jose Antonio Reyes? Two players that got kicked to fuck by other teams.

Back in those days they had mates like Keown and Vieira even Bergkamp that would look out for them. Today we have Partey really maybe Saliba that has a physical presence. We need more physical players, definitely, another DM and Odegaard will be given a chance to express himself more.

Forest's front line bullied Pool last weekend, Saliba had them in his pocket.

A11M11

Post by A11M11 »

Pires and Reyes were mentioned and now the regular Saka kicking , the only problem with Forest's treatment is that it came just a bit too far away from Qatar to keep him out and if he is barely walking Southgate will take him in the vain hope of him being available for the later stages.
Perhaps we need to play him again so that he properly breaks down and gets the time off.

wilson2.0

Post by wilson2.0 »

Nos89 wrote:
Thu Oct 27, 2022 9:27 pm
Arteta has to manage his emotions when we are losing. Yes, it's only our second defeat of the season but again for about 5 minutes no one knew what they were doing at the back. Because of that we couldn't attack. He has to stay calm keep the defence steady until the attack gets coordinated.
His reaction to hook Odegaard every time we concede indicates the lack of faith in the midfielders fighting capabilities in the face of adversity.
Arteta's emotion and energy is part of his style. I love his energy, and the fact rival fans get wound up every time he leaves hie technical area is evidence they are beginning to fear him. Wasnt long ago rival fans had him pegged as a Spanish David Brent, & the amazon documentary didn't help. But Arteta eccentric energy is a positive. Contrast to Wenger constantly flapping his arms about and whining to the 4th official. Wenger never used to call the team to a huddle or even issue instrucitons to players, he literally used to watch the game with a terrified look on his face. Wenger gave so many chances to Denilson, Almunia, Eboue, Bentnder ect. Arteta on the other hand rids himself of PEA and comes out the other side in a position of absolute strength. Wenger would never have dealt with PEA like that, and the dressing room rot would still exist.

I have full faith in Arteta, as well as Edu. I trust Arteta to the hilt and I would say he is the clubs most valuable asset. Who is our best player? Is it Saka? Martinelli? Saliba? Its actually Arteta. A manager in control. Finally

nut flush gooner

wilson2.0 wrote:
Mon Oct 31, 2022 10:32 am
Nos89 wrote:
Arteta has to manage his emotions when we are losing. Yes, it's only our second defeat of the season but again for about 5 minutes no one knew what they were doing at the back. Because of that we couldn't attack. He has to stay calm keep the defence steady until the attack gets coordinated.
His reaction to hook Odegaard every time we concede indicates the lack of faith in the midfielders fighting capabilities in the face of adversity.
Arteta's emotion and energy is part of his style. I love his energy, and the fact rival fans get wound up every time he leaves hie technical area is evidence they are beginning to fear him. Wasnt long ago rival fans had him pegged as a Spanish David Brent, & the amazon documentary didn't help. But Arteta eccentric energy is a positive. Contrast to Wenger constantly flapping his arms about and whining to the 4th official. Wenger never used to call the team to a huddle or even issue instrucitons to players, he literally used to watch the game with a terrified look on his face. Wenger gave so many chances to Denilson, Almunia, Eboue, Bentnder ect. Arteta on the other hand rids himself of PEA and comes out the other side in a position of absolute strength. Wenger would never have dealt with PEA like that, and the dressing room rot would still exist.

I have full faith in Arteta, as well as Edu. I trust Arteta to the hilt and I would say he is the clubs most valuable asset. Who is our best player? Is it Saka? Martinelli? Saliba? Its actually Arteta. A manager in control. Finally
100%. When things went wrong with Wenger, he would kick a bottle of water down the touchline. You never heard him taking his players to task, and those diva's the like of Ozil and Sanchez could get away with murder.

Arteta is like George Graham in style, he won't take any shit from the players no matter what they have done before and they all respect him.

IW8Goalmachine

Post by IW8Goalmachine »

Barcelona are sniffing about

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

Please can we refer to Barcelona as The BarcaWhores, because that is what and who they are. For years and years they have bought their way to success, and to such a point where their most important and valuable player ; Messi wanted to stay rather than leave but only if they met his wage demands, however due to their overspending for years and years and years they couldn't afford to agree a new deal, PSG were the only club who could, apparently $hitty did enquire, but Messi refused point blank to play in the UK.

wilson2.0

Post by wilson2.0 »

IW8Goalmachine wrote:
Wed Nov 02, 2022 7:07 am
Yeah. Arteta is what Barcelona thought Xavi would be.

Although this isn't 10 years ago, when Barcelona was at their apex with Messi and the core of the Spanish national team. Now they are debt ridden and the premier league keeps going from strength to strength. The reason Real Madrid and Barcelona want the ESL is because the PL is a juggernaut commercially ant the PL clubs slowly get bigger and richer relative to the Barcelona and Real Madrid.

Arteta was also cast aside by Barcelona at a young age and was perpetually overlooked by the Spanish national team. He played for Rangers, Everon, and most importantly Arsenal. He has more pull to British football than he does in Spain.

I for one am convinced Arteta would reject Barcelona even if they offered him the job.

StuartL
Location: It’s a new dawn, a new day a new life, for me and I’m feeling good

Post by StuartL »

wilson2.0 wrote:
Wed Nov 02, 2022 10:33 am
IW8Goalmachine wrote:
Wed Nov 02, 2022 7:07 am
Yeah. Arteta is what Barcelona thought Xavi would be.

Although this isn't 10 years ago, when Barcelona was at their apex with Messi and the core of the Spanish national team. Now they are debt ridden and the premier league keeps going from strength to strength. The reason Real Madrid and Barcelona want the ESL is because the PL is a juggernaut commercially ant the PL clubs slowly get bigger and richer relative to the Barcelona and Real Madrid.

Arteta was also cast aside by Barcelona at a young age and was perpetually overlooked by the Spanish national team. He played for Rangers, Everon, and most importantly Arsenal. He has more pull to British football than he does in Spain.

I for one am convinced Arteta would reject Barcelona even if they offered him the job.
I would agree that for now, he is still building his team and all is going well, so why would he leave ?

His merits as a rookie manager and mistakes made have been long discussed on here - but let’s not forget, he left Everton to come to us and took a pay cut to do so :shock: so the pull of Arsenal swayed him back then as a player.

Somehow, in his 3 seasons ? Playing at our club he has fallen in love with us, our history, our class amd is intent on bringing us back to the top level, which still has a way to go, but he believes in the players, and it appears they beleive in him / the process.

If in 5 seasons time he has won the league or a European trophy, maybe he will feel the need for another challenge ? But not yet, too early on in his process and if he left now another manager would get the credit of the squad he has put together if they won 🏆 next season or so

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

nut flush gooner wrote:
Mon Oct 31, 2022 9:00 am
Remember Bobby Pires and Jose Antonio Reyes? Two players that got kicked to fuck by other teams.

Back in those days they had mates like Keown and Vieira even Bergkamp that would look out for them. Today we have Partey really maybe Saliba that has a physical presence. We need more physical players, definitely, another DM and Odegaard will be given a chance to express himself more.

Forest's front line bullied Pool last weekend, Saliba had them in his pocket.
I specifically remember all too well when we played the MancScum at their Shithole - How the ref (mike reilly) allowed their tactic of "Let's take it in turns to kick the shyte out of Jose Antonio Reyes" and did sweet fuck-all... Reilly !? What a despicable spineless cowardlyCUNT of a poor excuse for a human.

Now referred to as "Rotational Fouling"

Reyes had been on fire and was destroying defences on the Right Flank, but

Neville the Snidey Butt-Fuck Ugly Little Whiney Mama's Boy C¨NT
That Ginger-Day-Walking One Eyebrow C¨NT Scholes
And Granny Shagging Shrek C¨NT Rooney

ALL of them fouled him three times in the first 20 minutes EACH before That UBER-*word censored*-GIMP of the Red NoseCUNT Mike Reilly did something, the thing is they weren't just fouling him , they were all really going in on him...leaving their mark so-to-speak...

The irony being that Fergie's Gimp Reilly upon retiring was put in charge of Referee Training and so it was taken as the thing to do and go 'soft' on mancScum players when they're kicking the opposition all over the field.

Nos89

Post by Nos89 »

wilson2.0 wrote:
Mon Oct 31, 2022 10:32 am
Nos89 wrote:

I think you may have misunderstood what I meant. Control his emotions when we're losing to make a rational decision. Against both united and PSV he made irrational decision in the heat of the moment that led to confusion on the pitch and lost us any momentum in the game. Especially, in the united game. He made unnecessary changes to defence and midfield destabilizing the team, which led to us conceding and falling further behind.
I've praised his energy on the touchline and being visible to ramp up the players. That's not the aspect of his management style I was suggesting he needs to control. Just in the moments when we fall behind and he changes the defence. Unless of course the defender is playing like Tavares did at Forest in the cup last season.
I want to see Odegaard finish a match, he's the captain yet he's the first one to be substituted. Unless, he's vulnerable to injury which we're not aware of.

A11M11

Post by A11M11 »

What is indisputable is that on those two occasions he took gambles and lost. Had he turned straw into gold it would have been called a masterstroke he needed goals and didn't get them . Naive yes , understandable also . Will he do it again ? probably not but maybe yes.
We are in a false position at the very top ,our target this year was to finish top four and so far he has built a large strong base to achieve that . From our perspective it's tempting to grab the dream of finishing there but from a pragmatic viewpoint we are ahead of the game.
Regarding Odegaard , I think it's possible that Arteta has realised that he is a luxury player . Good when things are going our way but disappears when the going gets tough .
Can't wait for Smith - Rowe to get fit , In my opinion just as capable going forward and far more disciplined when he has to defend.

nut flush gooner

Massive statement win today against our top 4 rivals. How much did Chelski spend this summer and get bossed in their own back yard.

We've got super Mik Arteta!!!

:barscarf: :barscarf: :barscarf:

StuartL
Location: It’s a new dawn, a new day a new life, for me and I’m feeling good

Post by StuartL »

nut flush gooner wrote:
Sun Nov 06, 2022 2:23 pm
Massive statement win today against our top 4 rivals. How much did Chelski spend this summer and get bossed in their own back yard.

We've got super Mik Arteta!!!

:barscarf: :barscarf: :barscarf:
3rd win on the trot at the Bridge after years of it being our bogey ground.

Saw a stat that super Mick Arteta has more wins in his first 150 Arsenal matches as manager than either Gorgeous George E Graham or Arsene did I their first 150 :shock:

He is doing something right :barscarf: :barscarf:
Last edited by StuartL on Sun Nov 06, 2022 10:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

It is Sooooo Good To Be an Arsenal Fan, it has been a Long, Long, Long time since I felt like tis about my Club, Team and the Players and Manager!

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

He keeps these results rolling in and he'll win me over. Brilliant to have beaten the scum, the victims and the chavs. 8)