Mikel Arteta, success or failure? - Merged thread.

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.

Will he ?

Have a statue erected after 30 glorious years service?
9%
Be a success, pick up a few trophies and put the club back on an even keel?
27%
Be a moderate success, before handing over to a more high profile successor?
20%
Be an utter fucking disaster?
44%

Total votes: 100

SteveO 35

Re: Mikel Arteta, success or failure? - Merged thread.

Post by SteveO 35 »

Nos89 wrote:
Sat May 28, 2022 5:23 pm
SteveO 35 wrote:
Fri May 27, 2022 9:32 am
The biggest bottlejob end to a season ever. Guy is an utter c.unt and thanks to him the interest I regained after Wenger knocked it out of me has been lost once more

Another season of nothing awaits playing beige football with a bunch of leaderless kids who wilt the minute the pressure is on
Sorry but can't agree the biggest bottle job was Emery's first season when we third, with four games to go and finished 5th, then got embarrassed in the only Europa/Uefa cup final he's ever lost. That was a collapse we still haven't properly recovered from
Six points ahead of Spurs with a game in hand before games against some of the shittiest teams in the league. I think not my friend

That season we came 5th under Emery we reached the final of a much more competitive Europa League than that of recent seasons. It was the season of 100 points for City and 99 for Liverpool, and the Spurs team that pipped us by a point reached the CL final and was Poch's best and most settled team

Compare to this year. Chavski in free fall, Spurs on their second manager, no cup football from February onwards and losses to Brighton, Southampton, Palace and Newcastle

The most shambolic capitulation of the lot - off the scale compared to Emery's team

augie

Post by augie »

Nos89 wrote:
SteveO 35 wrote:
The biggest bottlejob end to a season ever. Guy is an utter c.unt and thanks to him the interest I regained after Wenger knocked it out of me has been lost once more

Another season of nothing awaits playing beige football with a bunch of leaderless kids who wilt the minute the pressure is on
Sorry but can't agree the biggest bottle job was Emery's first season when we third, with four games to go and finished 5th, then got embarrassed in the only Europa/Uefa cup final he's ever lost. That was a collapse we still haven't properly recovered from

This season we were FOUR POINTS clear with only 3 games to play, and still couldnt get job done :roll: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

Nos89 wrote:
SteveO 35 wrote:

Whilst I agree that the collapse under Emery was terrible, it was nothing compared to the complete capitulation under Martinez-Lite this season.

And this one has added shitness in that it gave the scum a get out of jail card. No CL for them meant Conte, Keane, and Son all gone, and huge unpayable stadium debt and back to midtable where they belong. Now they are positioned to pull further ahead of us. :x

This seasons collapse was the worst I've ever seen.

And to add insult to injury once we are out of everything and the pressure is off, our spineless players start stroking it around and destroy Everton like the Invincibles team. :oops: :roll:

falkirk goon

Post by falkirk goon »

Brentford 0-2
City 0-5
Dippers 0-4
Palarse 0-3
Soton 0-1
Bin lids 0-3
Toon 0-2

These are the 7 league games away from home this season where we conceded first..Truly horrific stuff.. This stat alone tells us that El beige is out of his depth :cry: What do our fannyhole owners do :rubchin: they give him a new deal :lol: fuck me he's won the lottery he really has.

Edit..This horrendous sequence actually spread to the Fa cup aswell..

Forest 0-1

Nos89

Post by Nos89 »

DB10GOONER wrote:
Sat May 28, 2022 10:39 pm
Nos89 wrote:
SteveO 35 wrote:

Whilst I agree that the collapse under Emery was terrible, it was nothing compared to the complete capitulation under Martinez-Lite this season.

And this one has added shitness in that it gave the scum a get out of jail card. No CL for them meant Conte, Keane, and Son all gone, and huge unpayable stadium debt and back to midtable where they belong. Now they are positioned to pull further ahead of us. :x

This seasons collapse was the worst I've ever seen.

And to add insult to injury once we are out of everything and the pressure is off, our spineless players start stroking it around and destroy Everton like the Invincibles team. :oops: :roll:
I get that, they also finished above us that season and the dispicable way we capitulated in the Europa League final really hurt. It was also the first time in recent history we dropped out the top 4 after being in it with 4 games to go, under Wenger we were outside the top 4 to clinch a place in the last 3-4 games. This season was bad because we actually had hope, as literally no one gave us a chance of top 4 so being so close hurts more. A bit like Liverpool's quadruple

Redarmy

Post by Redarmy »

Blim wrote:
Tue May 24, 2022 6:59 am
The guy needs to go, he has no mojo he will never be a top manager just a mediocre wannabe, we must be the only club in the world to reward failure.
Yes some truth in that, dont think the players actually engage with what he is saying.....he says all the right things but they have heard it all a million times before

Its like hes read the book and repeats it without emotion or passion

He favours his chosen yes men...he seems to be lacking any man management or motivational skills

and of course theres xhaka

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

Redarmy wrote:
Tue May 31, 2022 8:29 am
Blim wrote:
Tue May 24, 2022 6:59 am
The guy needs to go, he has no mojo he will never be a top manager just a mediocre wannabe, we must be the only club in the world to reward failure.
Yes some truth in that, dont think the players actually engage with what he is saying.....he says all the right things but they have heard it all a million times before

Its like hes read the book and repeats it without emotion or passion

He favours his chosen yes men...he seems to be lacking any man management or motivational skills

and of course theres xhaka
100% agree with this - he says all the right stuff doesn't he, but is there any belief and conviction from the players? 7 away games we've gone behind, 7 times we lost, 7 times we didn't score a goal. So what are the messages he is giving to his players because they sure as hell aren't acting upon it or learning from it. All the soundbites about us not hitting the standards required for this club blah blah blah, all sounds very purposeful but just watch the body language of this team when they get a setback. They sink like a stone

All feels like the latter days of Wenger when he'd talk about "great spirit" and "special circumstances" but the same car crashes happened so often you wondered if he even believed it himself in the end

As for his outburst after the Spurs defeat, I can't help but feel that was almost Keegan-esque in terms of being schooled by a proper manager and spitting the dummy - not inspiring for anyone to watch, least of all the players. How he still thinks Holding didn't deserve to walk is beyond me. the truth is we folded yet again under pressure away from home and there was nothing he did to stem the tide

Nos89

Post by Nos89 »

This is a big summer for Arteta he has to make the right signings. I hope he has learnt the lessons from the mistakes he made last season and will be better equipped for the season ahead. I do think we've missed a glorious opportunity to put us back amongst the challengers as we had a "free hit" this season. When you consider the top manager/ coaches in European football Arteta is just behind the best of the best (Guardiola, Klopp, Tuchel and Conte easily in the top 10 managers in Europe) can he bridge the gap? Well he has to or he's out of a job. For me this coming season he has to deliver a top 4 finish and the Europa League. Falling just short again should not be accepted, and I got a feeling he knows that more than anyone.

Riotof91

Post by Riotof91 »

Now Betis want us to let go of Bellerin for free. Arteta sexuals said giving away a €50:million pound player to Barca for free was a good move now look the whole of Europe have got so used to Arteta+Edu gift wrapping players for free that we'll soon be being bullied into cancelling every players contract.
Another big win for the process. :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

Nos89 wrote:
Sat Jun 04, 2022 2:23 pm
This is a big summer for Arteta he has to make the right signings. I hope he has learnt the lessons from the mistakes he made last season and will be better equipped for the season ahead. I do think we've missed a glorious opportunity to put us back amongst the challengers as we had a "free hit" this season. When you consider the top manager/ coaches in European football Arteta is just behind the best of the best (Guardiola, Klopp, Tuchel and Conte easily in the top 10 managers in Europe) can he bridge the gap? Well he has to or he's out of a job. For me this coming season he has to deliver a top 4 finish and the Europa League. Falling just short again should not be accepted, and I got a feeling he knows that more than anyone.
Mate, that is the bizarrest thing you've posted on here! How is he "just behind the best of the best"??!!

He is a novice that has won ONE FA Cup and achieved nothing else but taking us out of Europe for the first time in a quarter century and capitulated a nailed on top 4 finish from a really strong position last season.

He is MILES behind the best of the best. I wouldn't even put him in the top 20 coaches/managers in Europe.

augie

Post by augie »

DB10GOONER wrote:
Sun Jun 05, 2022 9:37 am
Nos89 wrote:
Mate, that is the bizarrest thing you've posted on here! How is he "just behind the best of the best"??!!

He is a novice that has won ONE FA Cup and achieved nothing else but taking us out of Europe for the first time in a quarter century and capitulated a nailed on top 4 finish from a really strong position last season.

He is MILES behind the best of the best. I wouldn't even put him in the top 20 coaches/managers in Europe.

I looked at his post last night and had to read it 3 times to be sure it really said that :shock: :shock:

Honest to god I was gonna respond but if his head actually believes that, then there is nothing I can say that will make a difference cos his head is gone too far from reality :oops: :oops:

Nos89

Post by Nos89 »

DB10GOONER wrote:
Nos89 wrote:

He finished 5th behind the aforementioned managers, ahead of 15 other managers The best of the best are CL managers and he's just behind them.
It's not that outrageous.

g88ner

Post by g88ner »

Nos89 wrote:
Sun Jun 05, 2022 1:21 pm
DB10GOONER wrote:
Nos89 wrote:

He finished 5th behind the aforementioned managers, ahead of 15 other managers The best of the best are CL managers and he's just behind them.
It's not that outrageous.
I understood what you meant :lol:

Only a mad bastard would say Arteta is just behind Klopp, Pep, Conte in terms of quality or experience so I re-read your post and decided you clearly meant league position :lol:

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

He's in the top 1 managers when it comes to spending that's for sure

So far out of his depth that a life preserver couldn't rescue him.

Couldn't be more disillusioned with our current manager, to the point if someone told me Wenger was back I'd welcome it

BobbyPires7

Post by BobbyPires7 »

No Europe. Out of the cups early. Big spend in the Summer. Big advantage going into the last 9 games. Teams fighting hard not to make 4th. United blown up. Spurs in turmoil. West Ham all in on Europe. Leicester a shadow of previous seasons. Still blew it. Arteta is not the answer.

Next season will be worse. Much worse. And when Saka and Martinelli are off to reinforce a declining Liverpool, don’t come bleating to me.