Mikel Arteta, success or failure? - Merged thread.

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.

Will he ?

Have a statue erected after 30 glorious years service?
9%
Be a success, pick up a few trophies and put the club back on an even keel?
27%
Be a moderate success, before handing over to a more high profile successor?
20%
Be an utter fucking disaster?
44%

Total votes: 100

GoonerMuzz

Re: Mikel Arteta, success or failure? - Merged thread.

Post by GoonerMuzz »

Jayvies, how many more seasons do we wait for this improvement to take effect, it is currently 17 seasons since we won the league, 5 since we actively challenged for the title, in arguably the worst EPL season ever we lost it to Leicester......

Funnily enough as one of the top 10 richest club's in the world for many many of those years my patience is wearing a bit thin with the promises of the never never :roll:

Gunner Rob

Post by Gunner Rob »

GoonerMuzz wrote:
Sun Nov 21, 2021 12:12 pm
Jayvies, how many more seasons do we wait for this improvement to take effect, it is currently 17 seasons since we won the league, 5 since we actively challenged for the title, in arguably the worst EPL season ever we lost it to Leicester......

Funnily enough as one of the top 10 richest club's in the world for many many of those years my patience is wearing a bit thin with the promises of the never never :roll:
the club is doing exactly what the owner wants though - it is a top side in the PL, it just will never compete at the very top whilst Kroenke is here.
Kroenke has clearly stated he is not interested in competing for the title.

Jayives

Post by Jayives »

GoonerMuzz wrote:

None of this is the managers fault. He can’t help what’s happened before he arrived so go scream at the owners.

We aren’t sitting on major money so our only way out of this is gradual improvement which seems to be happening.

Our manager isn’t able to just go out there and lamp 100 million on Lukaku ? Surely you must understand that. We needed major improvements across the squad this summer.

There seems to be this weird thing with our fans where most of our match attending fans are relatively pleased with our progress and there’s a lot of goodwill inside the ground towards our young manager and young team yet you go on the internet and you find people trying to stab themselves to death with a blunt butter knife after our first bad result in ages. I assume these people must mostly not be season ticket holders or match going fans and as rob just said some people need to get a grip.
Last edited by Jayives on Sun Nov 21, 2021 12:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

GoonerMuzz

Post by GoonerMuzz »

And yet Rob that is exactly what young Josh stated he wanted us to do it his latest interview. I am dubious but the fact remains we have had all these super fans telling us for years we can compete irrespective of the ownership, 'we are just a few signings away', year after year for nearly two decades now. To be honest I find it wearing to have these people repeat themselves ad infinitum and come on here and criticise posters for being negative when the reality is we are no closer now, in fact we are further away, than in 2005, 2006, 2007 etc etc

Peoples lack of faith isnt a knee jerk reaction to a single loss against our supposed rivals but a long term weariness built up over seasons of failure to compete :rubchin:

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

Jayives wrote:
Sun Nov 21, 2021 12:40 pm
GoonerMuzz wrote:

None of this is the managers fault. He can’t help what’s happened before he arrived so go scream at the owners.

We aren’t sitting on major money so our only way out of this is gradual improvement which seems to be happening.

Our manager isn’t able to just go out there and lamp 100 million on Lukaku ? Surely you must understand that. We needed major improvements across the squad this summer.

There seems to be this weird thing with our fans where most of our match attending fans are relatively pleased with our progress and there’s a lot of goodwill inside the ground towards our young manager and young team yet you go on the internet and you find people trying to stab themselves to death with a blunt butter knife after our first bad result in ages. I assume these people must mostly not be season ticket holders or match going fans and as rob just said some people need to get a grip.
Well having been to hundreds and hundreds of games over the last 30+ years I think I can say in all honesty that a huge chunk of our current home fans that are "happy" with Martinez-Lite are JCL wànkers that are there for the day out, the occasion, that don't understand football but think they are well informed super fans because they go to a few home games and are not upset that we lose. The type of cûnt's that play with their ipads in the stands and take selfies and when we are losing 4 nil at home start jumping around and smiling because they just saw themselves on the big screens in the stadium. So I think I can be forgiven for not giving two half fucks what those sheep think. They are not supporters. They are customers.

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

GoonerMuzz wrote:
Sun Nov 21, 2021 12:44 pm
And yet Rob that is exactly what young Josh stated he wanted us to do it his latest interview. I am dubious but the fact remains we have had all these super fans telling us for years we can compete irrespective of the ownership, 'we are just a few signings away', year after year for nearly two decades now. To be honest I find it wearing to have these people repeat themselves ad infinitum and come on here and criticise posters for being negative when the reality is we are no closer now, in fact we are further away, than in 2005, 2006, 2007 etc etc

Peoples lack of faith isnt a knee jerk reaction to a single loss against our supposed rivals but a long term weariness built up over seasons of failure to compete :rubchin:

^^^ This 1,000% ^^^

Jayives

Post by Jayives »

DB10GOONER wrote:
Sun Nov 21, 2021 5:21 pm
Jayives wrote:
Sun Nov 21, 2021 12:40 pm
GoonerMuzz wrote:

Well having been to hundreds and hundreds of games over the last 30+ years I think I can say in all honesty that a huge chunk of our current home fans that are "happy" with Martinez-Lite are JCL wànkers that are there for the day out, the occasion, that don't understand football but think they are well informed super fans because they go to a few home games and are not upset that we lose. The type of cûnt's that play with their ipads in the stands and take selfies and when we are losing 4 nil at home start jumping around and smiling because they just saw themselves on the big screens in the stadium. So I think I can be forgiven for not giving two half fucks what those sheep think. They are not supporters. They are customers.
If you honestly think this you live in a parallel universe. This is not the general consensus of opinion amongst the majority of our fanbase right now especially our clock end lot right now or hardcore away support. They aren’t tourists or whatever “JCL wankers” means. People stood on the north bank because they wanted to ..,not because we were guaranteed to win and it didn’t mean they or we were lesser fans.

It’s people supporting their club. Doesn’t mean they are “wankers” and the people who think that are not the majority no matter what you think or read on here. I’m sorry to break that to you.

If results change maybe the opinion will but right now most are behind this side and manager.

GoonerMuzz

Post by GoonerMuzz »

A man with absolutely zero managerial experience is appointed to one of the biggest clubs in England, and we are supposed to wait for him to come good? We are supposed to accept him cutting his teeth and making the same mistakes time after time after time against the top teams, I mean seriously what parallel world do you live in?

Christ almighty an individual has to have an arrogance and ego the size of the shard to look at a job like the Arsenal having absolutely no experience whatsoever, a club who has been on a downward spiral for nearly two decades, take over from a manager with the experience of Emery who failed and think 'yup I can do that' :banghead:

It would be like me thinking I could just step into the shoes of the MD of my company just because I'm fucking good at what I do :roll:

As I said before there is an insuperable arrogance amongst ex-players these days who think they can do a couple of coaching badges and suddenly become super managers on the back of no achievements whatsoever, most Managers spend decades managing at all different levels and never make the break through into top flight football but people like Lampard, Arteta and Solskjaer think they can just step off the pitch and into the dugout and it will all work out fine and stupid fans just lap it up. Seriously how many ex-players have actually managed it successfully without years of toil at the lower levels or in lesser leagues :rubchin:

So yes it is the blokes fault as much as the Clubs, they appointed him but he had the arrogance to accept it :cussing:

Jayives

Post by Jayives »

Our fans have a choice these days

A) go along with it. Have a good few pints at the barn and duchess of Kent etc etc , a few more Camden piss in the ground and enjoy the games with the vast majority of match going fans who understand we are making progress admittedly slow but progress and that we aren’t some kind of superpower that can turn this around overnight and it will take time ..

Or

B) jump on the internet and rant ad nausea exposing their own full complete array and portfolio of mental health problems for all to see.

There is no quick fix here folks. It’s really that simple.

IW8Goalmachine

Post by IW8Goalmachine »

Jayives wrote:
Sun Nov 21, 2021 7:04 pm

A) go along with it. Have a good few pints at the barn and duchess of Kent etc etc , a few more Camden piss in the ground and enjoy the games with the vast majority of match going fans who understand we are making progress admittedly slow but progress and that we aren’t some kind of superpower that can turn this around overnight and it will take time ..

Or

B) jump on the internet and rant ad nausea exposing their own full complete array and portfolio of mental health problems for all to see.

So anyone that has a different opinion to you has mental health problems?

Jayives

Post by Jayives »

GoonerMuzz wrote:
Sun Nov 21, 2021 6:44 pm
A man with absolutely zero managerial experience is appointed to one of the biggest clubs in England, and we are supposed to wait for him to come good? We are supposed to accept him cutting his teeth and making the same mistakes time after time after time against the top teams, I mean seriously what parallel world do you live in?

Were 5th in the league and no manager on the planet is winning the premier league with that squad. We haven’t got a Salah, Ronaldo, de bruyne.

What is it you actually expect ? West Ham aside can you honestly make a case for us finishing in the top 3 with the players we have ? If anything we could be overachieving.

It’s howling at the moon mate.

begeegs

Post by begeegs »

I have some sympathy to jays views as really it is not relevant what we think. Arteta will get until the end of the season at the least. I have my doubts as to his ability especially getting shelled against the big sides while supposedly lesser teams (one with a manager who is about 3 months into the job) get results against them. And his inability to foster any sort of attack of note. Yes I get that it is a young side, but yesterday was awful.

I know that people have been harping on the downfall of Aubemeyang, but I reckon that the system that we play doesn't work for him. That is down to Arteta. He isn't getting the best out of his squad in my view. It looks like the everything is very much planned on where to pass and where to stand, etc. and although I will give credit to him (reluctantly- difficult to do off of the back of a big defeat. Let's face it without Ramsdale, this would have been 6 or 7 to nil) for more organisation defensively, I still think that he won't cut it here. Maybe he will go on to be a huge manager elsewhere (I very much doubt it), but I am not optimistic.

Jayives

Post by Jayives »

IW8Goalmachine wrote:
Sun Nov 21, 2021 7:26 pm
Jayives wrote:
Sun Nov 21, 2021 7:04 pm

Or

So anyone that has a different opinion to you has mental health problems?
No at all. And I didn’t say that I don’t have mental health problems either !

What I’m saying is that on the basis there is no logical expectation that we should be finishing ahead of city, chelsea and Liverpool does it make sense people are ranting and boiling gallons of their own piss on the internet over and over to the point of having a fit. You could appoint some Wenger, Guardiola Ferguson hybrid clone and they would struggle to get in the top 3 with our squad so why not sit back and see how things pan out without having a coronary after each defeat.

Nos89

Post by Nos89 »

I think the criticism aimed at Arteta after the Liverpool game is a bit unfair. He played a settled unbeaten team. Tavares was the only player who wouldn't be a preferred starter, but he has earned the nod to be picked ahead of Tierney, still returning from injury.
Maybe, Arteta could've parked the bus more after the 2nd goal went in, as was alluded to by post match interview of the players sticking to the game plan when they maybe should've changed tactics. But we all know, even under Arteta, we're not capable of parking the bus effectively.
It's not so much back to the drawing board and change everything thing. It's little tweak here and there when we play a team of Liverpool's calibre.

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

Amazing reading some of the comments on here

When we used to get battered at Anfield, Stamford Bridge and the Etihad under Wenger and Emery people went fucking ape shit

Under Arteta supposedly we shouldn’t expect anything else (even though the likes of Brighton have gone up there and got a point)

That defeat yesterday was as lame as the 0-3 home game against them and as anything either of the previous managers served up

Nobody is suggesting we should be finishing above them, but is it too much to ask for a team to give City or Liverpool a decent game on occasion?