Mikel Arteta, success or failure? - Merged thread.

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.

Will he ?

Have a statue erected after 30 glorious years service?
9%
Be a success, pick up a few trophies and put the club back on an even keel?
27%
Be a moderate success, before handing over to a more high profile successor?
20%
Be an utter fucking disaster?
44%

Total votes: 100

OneBardGooner

Re: Mikel Arteta, success or failure? - Merged thread.

Post by OneBardGooner »

Kingralph wrote:
Wed Sep 07, 2022 3:02 pm
OneBardGooner wrote:
Wed Sep 07, 2022 2:02 pm
Kingralph wrote:
Wed Sep 07, 2022 12:19 pm
Can we bin him off and get Tuchel instead, please? :barscarf:
Well he is available now. :lol:
Which would explain me making the comment… :rubchin:
:duh: Well I never! :roll: :D :wink:

goonersid

Post by goonersid »

OneBardGooner wrote:
Wed Sep 07, 2022 3:58 pm
Kingralph wrote:
OneBardGooner wrote:
Kingralph wrote:
Tuchel?
Are you fucking mental, he's like Klopp on fucking Cocaine.
We need a change, but not a manager who hasn't been able to hold on to a job for more than 2 years!

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

goonersid wrote:
Wed Sep 07, 2022 8:33 pm
OneBardGooner wrote:
Wed Sep 07, 2022 3:58 pm
Kingralph wrote:
OneBardGooner wrote:
Kingralph wrote:
Tuchel?
Are you fucking mental, he's like Klopp on fucking Cocaine.
We need a change, but not a manager who hasn't been able to hold on to a job for more than 2 years!
What like Maureen!? :D

:roll: :wink:

TomHelo14

Post by TomHelo14 »

What do people think if we say finish 5th again and no trophy? Reckon board gets rid or let him have more time?

Cos surely the timebombs ticking for him after backing him in the window and also allowing us fail for a few years now in getting where we should be.

StuartL
Location: It’s a new dawn, a new day a new life, for me and I’m feeling good

Post by StuartL »

TomHelo14 wrote:
Sat Sep 10, 2022 7:11 am
What do people think if we say finish 5th again and no trophy? Reckon board gets rid or let him have more time?

Cos surely the timebombs ticking for him after backing him in the window and also allowing us fail for a few years now in getting where we should be.
Who, knows what the Kronke’s are thinking ?

Are we making progress ?

I think the majority of people would say yes. However, we still retain the ability to self destruct at any given moment, it appears.

Are we the finished package ?

Absolutely not, we still need at least 2 more additions to address our weaknesses ( Xhaka)

Are the players improving / learning under him ?

Yes, he got rid of those that didn’t buy into the “project” and the youngsters have high ceilings as to how far they can reach.

Is he the best manager to push us forward ?

He wasn’t at the time he was appointed, but 3 years in would changing things up again disrupt what we have ?
Jesus, Zinchenko, were happy to sign and be under his tutelage, despite no Champions League, which must mean something.

I think he is still very much learning his trade as manager, the youngsters will grow with him.

I reckon he has this season where progress is expected - Champions League qualification, through top 4 or win the Europa, if not the he starts next season (and I think he will still be in charge, regardless ) under pressure, real pressure, for the first time.

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

StuartL wrote:
Sat Sep 10, 2022 7:42 am
TomHelo14 wrote:

Are we making progress ?

I think the majority of people would say yes. However, we still retain the ability to self destruct at any given moment, it appears.

Absolutely not, we still need at least 2 more additions to address our weaknesses ( Xhaka)

Yes, he got rid of those that didn’t buy into the “project” and the youngsters have high ceilings as to how far they can reach.

He wasn’t at the time he was appointed, but 3 years in would changing things up again disrupt what we have ?
Jesus, Zinchenko, were happy to sign and be under his tutelage, despite no Champions League, which must mean something.

I think he is still very much learning his trade as manager, the youngsters will grow with him.

I reckon he has this season where progress is expected - Champions League qualification, through top 4 or win the Europa, if not the he starts next season (and I think he will still be in charge, regardless ) under pressure, real pressure, for the first time.
Good points Stuart... Also I think because of the average age of the squad being young they will also learn (literally) game by game especially the Defeats, which is why I reckon if he is still the manager in 2 seasons time we will be challenging for everything provided the Kroenkes continue to fund the transfer windows properly.

augie

Post by augie »

StuartL wrote:
TomHelo14 wrote:

Are we making progress ?

I understand what you are saying but lets look at the highlighted parts in more detail -

Last season we equalled the most defeats we have had in a premier league era - that is not progress. We came close to top 4 but was that because our results improved or that our rivals were a mess last season ? Methinks the latter

You say that we need to address our weaknesses and rightly point to xhaka as an example, but as I continually point out on here, pep's cone boy doesnt see him as a weaknesses and is still giving the c.unt the captaincy on occasion. Definition of insanity is doing same thing over and over and expecting different results, so how about we turn that back to the fans now and say that it is high time that they accepted the situation as it is - if they are arteta fans then they need to accept that xhaka will play cos it is a package deal and they are joined at the hip it seems. Maybe it is easy for me to say cos I am not an arteta fan and dont rate xhaka at all, but I am sick to the nuts of fans praising arteta but in same breath slating the swiss turd and talking about replacing him when every bit of evidence shows that the manager loves the guy.

History shows us that there are loads of guys who were good number 2's but could not make the step up to be a good manager - the fact that the 2 ex city guys signed for him def shows a level of respect for the guy, but it DOES NOT MEAN that he is equipped to be the main man at a big club

I am intrigued by your comment re the question are players improving under him - which players have improved ? The team has improved cos some better players have been bought, but what players has he made better ? The young players (saka, smith-rowe, martinelli etc) all had high ceilings before he came along. I see a manager who has a rigid belief system that if players buy into then they will be kept, but if they dont buy into they will be history, and I cannot think of even one player where I can point to and say that the manager has improved him

StuartL
Location: It’s a new dawn, a new day a new life, for me and I’m feeling good

Post by StuartL »

augie wrote:
Sat Sep 10, 2022 10:35 am
StuartL wrote:
TomHelo14 wrote:

Are we making progress ?

I understand what you are saying but lets look at the highlighted parts in more detail -

Last season we equalled the most defeats we have had in a premier league era - that is not progress. We came close to top 4 but was that because our results improved or that our rivals were a mess last season ? Methinks the latter

You say that we need to address our weaknesses and rightly point to xhaka as an example, but as I continually point out on here, pep's cone boy doesnt see him as a weaknesses and is still giving the c.unt the captaincy on occasion. Definition of insanity is doing same thing over and over and expecting different results, so how about we turn that back to the fans now and say that it is high time that they accepted the situation as it is - if they are arteta fans then they need to accept that xhaka will play cos it is a package deal and they are joined at the hip it seems. Maybe it is easy for me to say cos I am not an arteta fan and dont rate xhaka at all, but I am sick to the nuts of fans praising arteta but in same breath slating the swiss turd and talking about replacing him when every bit of evidence shows that the manager loves the guy.

History shows us that there are loads of guys who were good number 2's but could not make the step up to be a good manager - the fact that the 2 ex city guys signed for him def shows a level of respect for the guy, but it DOES NOT MEAN that he is equipped to be the main man at a big club

I am intrigued by your comment re the question are players improving under him - which players have improved ? The team has improved cos some better players have been bought, but what players has he made better ? The young players (saka, smith-rowe, martinelli etc) all had high ceilings before he came along. I see a manager who has a rigid belief system that if players buy into then they will be kept, but if they dont buy into they will be history, and I cannot think of even one player where I can point to and say that the manager has improved him
I would say Martinelli fits into the improving catagory, Nketieh too, on his showing so far this season ( limited, so far granted )
Last season there were people saying that Martinelli would be leaving as he wasn’t getting game time - now I guess you can use the argument of this season proves he should have played more previously or alternatively, maybe , he wasn’t ready till now to play week in week out ?

You used last season’s equalling the record number of defeats ……do you think that will happen this season? I don’t
Do you think we have a real good chance at top 4 and Champions League qualification ? I do

Are we a better team now than last year ? I would say yes, definitely.

So in my book that is progress.

We also appear to be better at attacking from different area’s of the pitch, rather than over relying on Saka to carry us ( and he did last season, no doubt) Jesus, Martinelli, and Odegaard all have 3 goals, so far, so the attacking threat is there in multiple area’s, with Saka yet to warm up.

Xhaka is such a puzzle, he can’t play one touch football, can’t press and can’t tackle and is slow on top of all that, so has no place seemingly in a team that wants to play the way he appears to want to play. :rubchin: :banghead:

The obvious weak link, in one of the most important areas of the pitch yet he plays week in , week out.

augie

Post by augie »

StuartL wrote:
Sat Sep 10, 2022 11:05 am
augie wrote:
StuartL wrote:
TomHelo14 wrote:

Are we making progress ?

I would say Martinelli fits into the improving catagory, Nketieh too, on his showing so far this season ( limited, so far granted )
Last season there were people saying that Martinelli would be leaving as he wasn’t getting game time - now I guess you can use the argument of this season proves he should have played more previously or alternatively, maybe , he wasn’t ready till now to play week in week out ?

You used last season’s equalling the record number of defeats ……do you think that will happen this season? I don’t
Do you think we have a real good chance at top 4 and Champions League qualification ? I do

We also appear to be better at attacking from different area’s of the pitch, rather than over relying on Saka to carry us ( and he did last season, no doubt) Jesus, Martinelli, and Odegaard all have 3 goals, so far, so the attacking threat is there in multiple area’s, with Saka yet to warm up.

Xhaka is such a puzzle, he can’t play one touch football, can’t press and can’t tackle and is slow on top of all that, so has no place seemingly in a team that wants to play the way he appears to want to play. :rubchin: :banghead:

The obvious weak link, in one of the most important areas of the pitch yet he plays week in , week out.

Yes I think we have a chance at top 4 this season halfway through last season I looked at our rivals for top 4 (scum, chavs, manure) and reckoned that we had a stronger starting 11 than all of them and I still believe that now. We didnt get top 4 last season cos we have the worst manager out of those teams, and that still issue could be our undoing again this season. People are going way ott imo about our good start because we have beaten teams we should be expecting to beat, and then when we faced our first proper test we failed it last Sunday, and again I put most of the blame on that defeat at the managers door

beck

Post by beck »

augie wrote:
StuartL wrote:
TomHelo14 wrote:

Are we making progress ?

How were the rivals in more of a mess last season.
Top four was the highest points total in 3 years

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

StuartL wrote:
Sat Sep 10, 2022 11:05 am
augie wrote:
StuartL wrote:
TomHelo14 wrote:

Are we making progress ?

This above all the other things... Utterly mystifying...

Also: A Multi-coloured Quotes Tower ! Yaaaaaay! :barscarf:

Retro Gunner

Post by Retro Gunner »

StuartL wrote:
TomHelo14 wrote:

Are we making progress ?

I think this is a very fair appraisal Stuart. As you know, I tend to be less positive than this, but it's a balanced review.

Retro Gunner

Post by Retro Gunner »

augie wrote:
StuartL wrote:
TomHelo14 wrote:

Are we making progress ?

Having called Stuart's appraisal very fair, my natural position would be in line with Augie here. Very valid points.

Arteta has been given more financial support from the club than any manager since the stadium move and has had time to build and mould his own team. There's nowhere to hide, this is his baby and personally, if we don't make top 4 or win the EL (frankly, I think top 4 should be the bar, even if we win the EL and yes, I know that gets us a CL place), then he should be sacked. I don't think he will be, but he should be.

wilson2.0

Post by wilson2.0 »

TomHelo14 wrote:

It would depend on the points total. If we got 75 points and finished 5th, then there could be a resource to keep Arteta. as you could chalk it up to a competitive top 5. But 5th and less than 70 points - it's really hard to make a case for him to remain

wilson2.0

Post by wilson2.0 »

I will also judge Arteta on if the players buy into the process. Saka, Saliba and Martinelli contracts need to be sorted. Saka's by all accounts will happen, but until it does it should remain cause for concern. I also think Martinelli would be open to a new deal. Couldnt guess Sailba's intentions though.

If Arteta can sign up all three this year, then the key players are trusting the process & that will count for something
Last edited by wilson2.0 on Sun Sep 11, 2022 1:28 am, edited 1 time in total.