Mikel Arteta, success or failure? - Merged thread.

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.

Will he ?

Have a statue erected after 30 glorious years service?
9%
Be a success, pick up a few trophies and put the club back on an even keel?
27%
Be a moderate success, before handing over to a more high profile successor?
20%
Be an utter fucking disaster?
45%

Total votes: 101

Nos89

Re: Mikel Arteta, success or failure? - Merged thread.

Post by Nos89 »

Well, I said if Arsenal weren't in the top 7 by game 10 he should go. Give Arteta credit he's achieved it. The formation is settled, the back four are settled, the players bought in the summer have all contributed to the team unbeaten run. He's learning, and it is working at the moment. We've got a testy November, traditional our poorest month.
The team looks good, the system is working and he is making the right decision. He's beginning to win me over.

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

Nos89 wrote:
Sat Oct 30, 2021 1:50 pm
Well, I said if Arsenal weren't in the top 7 by game 10 he should go. Give Arteta credit he's achieved it. The formation is settled, the back four are settled, the players bought in the summer have all contributed to the team unbeaten run. He's learning, and it is working at the moment. We've got a testy November, traditional our poorest month.
The team looks good, the system is working and he is making the right decision. He's beginning to win me over.
As happy as I am with this run of form, for me that's all it is, a run of form. Martinez-Lite has done nothing to even begin winning me over and tbh I think this run of form might just be more down to not having the toilet drain Calamity Clive in the middle killing most attacks and pissing away possession and giving away stupid cheap free kicks. And we all know the minute Clive is fit he walks back into that team. :roll:

I'd get rid of Martinez-Lite tomorrow if I could. I'd love to see what this squad could achieve in the hands of Conte or Simeone or Allegri.

It's going well at the moment but let's be honest does anyone believe we won't have an equally long spell of bad losses again at some stage this season? Or that some stupid "I'm in the footballing intelligentsia" style substitution won't cost us a big game at some stage...?

Still all to prove.

augie

Post by augie »

Nos89 wrote:
Sat Oct 30, 2021 1:50 pm

No coincidence that we went out of the game totally for a while when he subbed laca for odeargod (who continues to contribute fcuk all) - when you are under a small bit of pressure like we were at the time, talking off your centre forward means that you have no-one up there to hold up the ball and it invites more pressure onto the team.

rodders999

Post by rodders999 »

Laca can’t do 90 minutes anymore (even when we first signed him he struggled to do it), he’s all action game for the off normally has him blowing at the 70 mins. We need to find an option that works once he has to come off, Odegaard needs to find some form and fast.

I actually think he’ll come good but he needs to do it and do it soon.

goonersid

Post by goonersid »

Whilst still having doubts over Arteta, I do see some really encouraging signs, the defence and goal keeper are performing at a level I've not seen at the club in 15 years.
The young players remind me of George Grahams fledgeling team.
We've some huge games coming up, if we come through these with credible performances? then Arteta has probably bought himself to the end of the season.
Then we wait and see how that pans out.
With Vieira doing a job at Palace, we have a great plan B, my worry would be, Citeh signing him up, when cowardly Pep runs away!

Nos89

Post by Nos89 »

goonersid wrote:
Sat Oct 30, 2021 6:09 pm
Whilst still having doubts over Arteta, I do see some really encouraging signs, the defence and goal keeper are performing at a level I've not seen at the club in 15 years.
We've some huge games coming up, if we come through these with credible performances? then Arteta has probably bought himself to the end of the season.
With Vieira doing a job at Palace, we have a great plan B, my worry would be, Citeh signing him up, when cowardly Pep runs away!
MY understanding is that the plan for Vieira was to take over from Pep. His path has been guided by City, even going to Bayern when Pep was still there to do his coaching badges. When Pep finally leaves Vieira will be City's next manager. Don't think the Arsenal board even have a plan B if Arteta fails, or moves on. I reckon they'll just see who's at the club and throw them in, BFG is likely to be next.

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

Nos89 wrote:
Sun Oct 31, 2021 11:09 pm
goonersid wrote:
Sat Oct 30, 2021 6:09 pm
MY understanding is that the plan for Vieira was to take over from Pep. His path has been guided by City, even going to Bayern when Pep was still there to do his coaching badges. When Pep finally leaves Vieira will be City's next manager. Don't think the Arsenal board even have a plan B if Arteta fails, or moves on. I reckon they'll just see who's at the club and throw them in, BFG is likely to be next.
I've said it before, and this will happen. Bet your house on it. :|

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

Promising signs but lets not carried away - there's a huge month coming up in November with some really tough away games

We've fired managers before for losing 3 games before the end of November, being 8th with a goal difference of minus 1 (well one manager anyway :wink: )

If he gets us back into Europe in any shape or form this season, he'd have done well. A long way to go to achieve that by fair fucks regarding the new signings which have made a huge impact

augie

Post by augie »

It looks like all this "Conte wouldnt go to AFC" is being shown up for the load of bollox it is - if we gave him a sizeable contract and gave him the power that our transfer team continue to fcuk up anyway, then he wouldnt be joining us instead of the scum down the road :evil: He has joined a club with a shit squad and no tradition of winning, and as much of a decline as we have endured in recent seasons, we are still light years ahead of them c.unts

Of course we continue to play it safe. Lets stick with lego head who wont rock the boat. Lets stick with the nice guy who will be great publicly, and be nice to the board as well :roll: :oops: :oops: :oops:

gooner265

Post by gooner265 »

augie wrote:
Tue Nov 02, 2021 1:53 pm
It looks like all this "Conte wouldnt go to AFC" is being shown up for the load of bollox it is - if we gave him a sizeable contract and gave him the power that our transfer team continue to fcuk up anyway, then he wouldnt be joining us instead of the scum down the road :evil: He has joined a club with a shit squad and no tradition of winning, and as much of a decline as we have endured in recent seasons, we are still light years ahead of them c.unts

Of course we continue to play it safe. Lets stick with lego head who wont rock the boat. Lets stick with the nice guy who will be great publicly, and be nice to the board as well :roll: :oops: :oops: :oops:
Transfer team have done well this season to be fair so far anyway. Conte us no guarantee for success , can see him falling out with Levy after 18 months.

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

gooner265 wrote:
Tue Nov 02, 2021 5:36 pm
augie wrote:

Transfer team have done well this season to be fair so far anyway. Conte us no guarantee for success , can see him falling out with Levy after 18 months.
I could see it within 6 months tbh.

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

rodders999 wrote:
Sat Oct 30, 2021 3:29 pm
Laca can’t do 90 minutes anymore (even when we first signed him he struggled to do it), he’s all action game for the off normally has him blowing at the 70 mins. We need to find an option that works once he has to come off, Odegaard needs to find some form and fast.

I actually think he’ll come good but he needs to do it and do it soon.
Yeah! Laca plays High Energy game chasing everything down, also he's as strong as fuckk the way he holds the opponents off when the ball comes to him, he turns them easily...I think Martinelli would be a better sub than OhDearGawd :wink: - His energy and game are far more suited to getting in the opponents faces than OhDearGawd who is just Too Lightweight...Also Martinelli is far more likely to score...

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

SteveO 35 wrote:
Mon Nov 01, 2021 6:03 pm
Promising signs but lets not carried away - there's a huge month coming up in November with some really tough away games

We've fired managers before for losing 3 games before the end of November, being 8th with a goal difference of minus 1 (well one manager anyway :wink: )

If he gets us back into Europe in any shape or form this season, he'd have done well. A long way to go to achieve that by fair fucks regarding the new signings which have made a huge impact
For some reason it is always November when we struggle...Maybe we can turn that around this year??

augie

Post by augie »

gooner265 wrote:
augie wrote:

I listened to the Off The Ball podcast yesterday morning where they played a small clip of henry interviewing conte some time back - in the clip conte said that he expects his players to show total commitment and that if they dont he wants to kill them 8) This is the attraction to conte for me - yes there is no guarantee of success, but is there a guarantee with any manager ? I want a manager that will come in and ruffle some feathers from players who have lived on easy street for far too long. I want a manager that will shake up a board and owner who have been on easy street for far too long, and even though it would be a battle that he would not win, at least he will take them on and maybe bring it into the public eye more. I want a manager that values hard work and total commitment and does not suffer fools gladly. I want a winner as manager, and by that I mean has a winning mentality and would sell his granny if it helped him win.

I would always refer to the likes of conte as a "hit and run manager" - you know that it will only be a 2 or 3 year term as manager, but if he sets us on right path I dont care

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

augie wrote:
Wed Nov 03, 2021 10:10 am
gooner265 wrote:
augie wrote:

I listened to the Off The Ball podcast yesterday morning where they played a small clip of henry interviewing conte some time back - in the clip conte said that he expects his players to show total commitment and that if they dont he wants to kill them 8) This is the attraction to conte for me - yes there is no guarantee of success, but is there a guarantee with any manager ? I want a manager that will come in and ruffle some feathers from players who have lived on easy street for far too long. I want a manager that will shake up a board and owner who have been on easy street for far too long, and even though it would be a battle that he would not win, at least he will take them on and maybe bring it into the public eye more. I want a manager that values hard work and total commitment and does not suffer fools gladly. I want a winner as manager, and by that I mean has a winning mentality and would sell his granny if it helped him win.

I would always refer to the likes of conte as a "hit and run manager" - you know that it will only be a 2 or 3 year term as manager, but if he sets us on right path I dont care
Well he'll be available again in January, maybe April or May latest. :D