Mikel Arteta, success or failure? - Merged thread.

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.

Will he ?

Have a statue erected after 30 glorious years service?
9%
Be a success, pick up a few trophies and put the club back on an even keel?
27%
Be a moderate success, before handing over to a more high profile successor?
20%
Be an utter fucking disaster?
44%

Total votes: 100

DB10GOONER

Re: Mikel Arteta, success or failure? - Merged thread.

Post by DB10GOONER »

begeegs wrote:
Sun Dec 19, 2021 7:27 am
Looks like Auba has done Arteta a favour as Lacazette fits this team loads better. As a result, we are seeing improvement in performances without really sacrificing defensive work. Granted, they are still miles off competing for honours, but these last couple of performances have been encouraging.
It's telling that he stuck with Boomerang for months of poor performances and only brought in Laca and Martinelli when forced to by Boomerang's conduct off the pitch. Complete novice where success is by luck rather than design.

begeegs

Post by begeegs »

DB10GOONER wrote:
Sun Dec 19, 2021 10:29 am
begeegs wrote:
Looks like Auba has done Arteta a favour as Lacazette fits this team loads better. As a result, we are seeing improvement in performances without really sacrificing defensive work. Granted, they are still miles off competing for honours, but these last couple of performances have been encouraging.
It's telling that he stuck with Boomerang for months of poor performances and only brought in Laca and Martinelli when forced to by Boomerang's conduct off the pitch. Complete novice where success is by luck rather than design.
In his defence, Auba was his captain, but he shouldn't have been captain to begin with (so a zero sum argument :D ). I hope that the Juve or Barca rumours are true, but can't see it honestly.

goonersid

Post by goonersid »

begeegs wrote:
Sun Dec 19, 2021 12:34 pm
DB10GOONER wrote:
Sun Dec 19, 2021 10:29 am
begeegs wrote:
In his defence, Auba was his captain, but he shouldn't have been captain to begin with (so a zero sum argument :D ). I hope that the Juve or Barca rumours are true, but can't see it honestly.
He was made captain at a time when he was up there with Salah and Mane, in terms of form and commitment. So despite his history, I won't criticise that appointment.
It took balls to strip him and drop him from the squad, so fair play to him for that.
It's his inexperience which is still the biggest worry.
Whilst you would expect for that to improve, the faith in xhaka really worries me.

Redarmy

Post by Redarmy »

Dont think arteta should have started his managerial career as a novice with a giant club like the Arsenal, and stand by that

BUT credit due...we are sitting 4th in the table, (remains to be seen how long we will stay there) and in semi final of League cup....thats not too shaby

arrgee

Post by arrgee »

Redarmy wrote:
Thu Dec 23, 2021 12:59 pm
Dont think arteta should have started his managerial career as a novice with a giant club like the Arsenal, and stand by that

BUT credit due...we are sitting 4th in the table, (remains to be seen how long we will stay there) and in semi final of League cup....thats not too shaby
Hard to see how much better Captain Black could do right now. However, this could be as good as it gets. And that is for any Arsenal manager. Chelsea, City & victims* all have stronger teams/squads and none are particularly ageing. Manchester United will doubtless spend big again and look to get back to top 4.

Arsenal still lacking a bit in central midfield, and central defence, but most pressing now is the striker situation. PEA is out, Lacazette not a long term solution, Nketiah not good enough and Balogun very raw. I suppose Martinelli could be an out and out striker, but doesn’t appear to be trusted to do that despite having the ability. Will be interesting to see what Captain Black and co do to address this in next couple of transfer windows.

But yes, not too shabby.

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

Will be interesting to see how things pan out over the next few weeks.

I'm afraid those absolutely pathetic away defeats at Everton, Man Ure and the Mickeys are still very recent in my mind, and the world's least surprising four game unbeaten run against pathetic Southampton, Leeds, Sunderland and an injury ravaged West Ham (three at home) haven't erased that from my mind.

We won't lose to Norwich or Wolves, which will have all the 'top four' talk spiralling out of control.

We've then got City, two legs against Liverpool Academy with Forest sandwiched in between before a trip to the swamp. Seven games in 22 days and there will undoubtedly be some rotation along the way. If we play stiffs in the two cups and get rolled over by Liverpool U-18s and Forest, in this so called top four challenge, I for one will be absolutely seething.

If he manages to come through January still occupying fourth and in the hunt for the two domestic cups, I'll be the first to say that I'll be starting to think differently and will allow myself to hope.

Redarmy

Post by Redarmy »

SteveO 35 wrote:
Thu Dec 23, 2021 1:23 pm

I'm afraid those absolutely pathetic away defeats at Everton, Man Ure and the Mickeys are still very recent in my mind, and the world's least surprising four game unbeaten run against pathetic Southampton, Leeds, Sunderland and an injury ravaged West Ham (three at home) haven't erased that from my mind.

We won't lose to Norwich or Wolves, which will have all the 'top four' talk spiralling out of control.

We've then got City, two legs against Liverpool Academy with Forest sandwiched in between before a trip to the swamp. Seven games in 22 days and there will undoubtedly be some rotation along the way. If we play stiffs in the two cups and get rolled over by Liverpool U-18s and Forest, in this so called top four challenge, I for one will be absolutely seething.

If he manages to come through January still occupying fourth and in the hunt for the two domestic cups, I'll be the first to say that I'll be starting to think differently and will allow myself to hope.
yes some real tests await....

A11M11

Post by A11M11 »

Looks like Wolves are getting a nice break before they come to us with their Christmas game with Watford being off due to a covid outbreak at Watford. Better make sure we don't kick the ball over the fence at training or we might get it too.

GoonerMuzz

Post by GoonerMuzz »

I genuinely dont believe we are capable of competing in two cups and trying to retain 4th with this squad immaterial of Arteta being Manager. In all honesty we are lacking good depth in midfield and our striking options aren't great, as mentioned above 7 games in 22 days is a lot, unfortunately something will have to give :rubchin:

Mind you I'll happily eat humble pie if he pulls off a miracle :wink:

nut flush gooner

Post by nut flush gooner »

SteveO 35 wrote:

You will be surprised to hear I am on the fence about Arteta now Steve. He's made some huge errors in team selection in recent weeks, and should have been toast months ago if we are honest.

I hope he is resting ESR rather than deciding Ode is his preferred number 10. I get a feeling that despite being very good over the last few weeks Ode will get found out vs the bigger sides.

In saying that if he finishes top 6 this season, he isn't going anywhere and we should back him. If we have another good summer in the transfer market we will have a competitive squad for the first time in years.

I am pleased Martinelli is back and firing though, it took Auba being Auba to get a look in again though.

Redarmy

Post by Redarmy »

nut flush gooner wrote:
Thu Dec 23, 2021 5:36 pm
SteveO 35 wrote:

You will be surprised to hear I am on the fence about Arteta now Steve. He's made some huge errors in team selection in recent weeks, and should have been toast months ago if we are honest.

I hope he is resting ESR rather than deciding Ode is his preferred number 10. I get a feeling that despite being very good over the last few weeks Ode will get found out vs the bigger sides.

In saying that if he finishes top 6 this season, he isn't going anywhere and we should back him. If we have another good summer in the transfer market we will have a competitive squad for the first time in years.

I am pleased Martinelli is back and firing though, it took Auba being Auba to get a look in again though.
Odergaard is no mug thats for sure, neat and tidy technically sound and a good passer of the ball..when allowed the freedom
from what we have seen previously against a team pressing high and allowing no time to get his head up on the ball he tends to just disappear
As above i think arteta prefers Odergaard as No 10...time will tell

nut flush gooner

Post by nut flush gooner »

Redarmy wrote:
Thu Dec 23, 2021 6:36 pm
nut flush gooner wrote:
Thu Dec 23, 2021 5:36 pm
SteveO 35 wrote:

Odergaard is no mug thats for sure, neat and tidy technically sound and a good passer of the ball..when allowed the freedom
from what we have seen previously against a team pressing high and allowing no time to get his head up on the ball he tends to just disappear
As above i think arteta prefers Odergaard as No 10...time will tell
On reflection it's clear that he prefers Ode as number 10, I am not disputing that. But for me vs a pressing side, ESR is by far the better option on the break. And when ESR plays in the same side as Ode it's always in a sub-optimal position on the left.

Despite this, ESR has learned that playing in more narrow channels creates goal-scoring opportunities when the team is attacking on the opposite flank. You cannot underestimate this.

gooner265

Post by gooner265 »

Mikel Arteta on Aubameyang excluded: “I don’t establish my authority by being dictatorial. I just ask for one thing, it’s respect and commitment. That’s all”. ⚪️🔴 #AFC

“If you don’t ask for that at this level, I think I pack my bags and I go somewhere else”.

Kingralph

Post by Kingralph »

gooner265 wrote:
Fri Dec 24, 2021 12:08 am
Mikel Arteta on Aubameyang excluded: “I don’t establish my authority by being dictatorial. I just ask for one thing,it’s respect and commitment. That’s all”. ⚪️🔴 #AFC

“If you don’t ask for that at this level, I think I pack my bags and I go somewhere else”.
Isn’t that two things? :lol:

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

An up and coming litmus test will be the Carabao Cup semi - The ScouseFilth are going to want to get the first trophy of the season and from what I saw when they played Leicester in the week have some decent youngsters.

I was hoping we would get the Scum in the semi's rather than the ScouseFilth, if we do get past thescousers we then will need to still be on outTop Game to face the Chavs or the Scumcunts

Sadly regardless of what happens this season because our owners are also Clueless (as well as the manager) we are stuck with him till the end of the 2022/23 season :cry: