Mikel Arteta, success or failure? - Merged thread.

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.

Will he ?

Have a statue erected after 30 glorious years service?
9%
Be a success, pick up a few trophies and put the club back on an even keel?
27%
Be a moderate success, before handing over to a more high profile successor?
20%
Be an utter fucking disaster?
44%

Total votes: 100

OneBardGooner

Re: Mikel Arteta, success or failure? - Merged thread.

Post by OneBardGooner »

DB10GOONER wrote:
Sun Nov 06, 2022 11:47 pm
He keeps these results rolling in and he'll win me over. Brilliant to have beaten the scum, the victims and the chavs. 8)

wilson2.0

Post by wilson2.0 »

If he was doing what he is doing now at another club, we would be asking why cant we have a manager like Mikel Arteta.

My initial opposition to him was I thought he would be a soft touch & would have been a yes man thankful for the job. But he is no soft touch, and clearly has ambitions that have been higher than what the club has previously had (Arteta wants to win the league with Arsenal). He is a diamond of a manager. He really is going to be one of the world's leading managers in the future.

He is a proper manager who knows his football. A tactician and coach, motivator, scout. Guy excels in so many areas. I honestly can't believe the job he has done.

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

wilson2.0 wrote:
Tue Nov 08, 2022 9:33 am
If he was doing what he is doing now at another club, we would be asking why cant we have a manager like Mikel Arteta.

My initial opposition to him was I thought he would be a soft touch & would have been a yes man thankful for the job. But he is no soft touch, and clearly has ambitions that have been higher than what the club has previously had (Arteta wants to win the league with Arsenal). He is a diamond of a manager. He really is going to be one of the world's leading managers in the future.

He is a proper manager who knows his football. A tactician and coach, motivator, scout. Guy excels in so many areas. I honestly can't believe the job he has done.
Mate you really do jump the gun don't you ffs? :lol:

He's proven none of that yet. He's had a good run of results and he got rid of a few malcontents that had no motivation to play for us and were happy to be paid to leave. He's also inherited three of the PL's best young talents in a generation. If you look at the career of nearly every manager there's been you'll see a similar period of success. He may go on to be all those hyperbolic things you've called him but he certainly isn't them yet.

The elephant in the room that everyone seems to want to avoid is the state of the top six in the PL. Mousers*, mancs, chavs and scum are all going through a terrible period of form this season, and without being churlish, that has to be taken under consideration when looking at our current run.

Things change quickly in football. Remember your hysterical love-in with Bellend? Couldn't be dropped? Best full back in the world? Extending his contract was our top priority? Remember that? Remember how that turned out? :lol: :wink:

I'm not knocking Martinez-Lite here. He's done well. But let's not get carried away.

Gunnerz4life

Post by Gunnerz4life »

When you are on 34 points from a possible 39 and top of the league above what many consider the best team in Europe with the best striker in the world who has been flying, you are showing form of title contenders. There is no elephant in the room because what others are doing becomes immaterial when you are showing the form that we have. In any case Victims are the only ones who have dropped massively, the rest have huffed and puffed in the league for a few years now.

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

Gunnerz4life wrote:
Tue Nov 08, 2022 1:28 pm
When you are on 34 points from a possible 39 and top of the league above what many consider the best team in Europe with the best striker in the world who has been flying, you are showing form of title contenders. There is no elephant in the room because what others are doing becomes immaterial when you are showing the form that we have. In any case Victims are the only ones who have dropped massively, the rest have huffed and puffed in the league for a few years now.
And yet all managed to finish above us only last season.

This is the stuff certain types of Arsenal fans get ridiculed about, this blinkered narrow view that can't admit when we are lucky, or when circumstances aid us. It's absolutely ridiculous to discount the start to the season that those teams have had. It takes nothing away from our achievement of playing well and winning games by admitting the reality of the circumstances that have also benefited us.

Gunnerz4life

Post by Gunnerz4life »

DB10GOONER wrote:
Tue Nov 08, 2022 5:04 pm
Gunnerz4life wrote:

This is the stuff certain types of Arsenal fans get ridiculed about, this blinkered narrow view that can't admit when we are lucky, or when circumstances aid us. It's absolutely ridiculous to discount the start to the season that those teams have had. It takes nothing away from our achievement of playing well and winning games by admitting the reality of the circumstances that have also benefited us.
Yes they have managed to finish above us because we were as sh*t and worse. So what? This is a new season and we are top of the league.

Achievements in team sports is always relative. The Chavs and then City and the Victims have won league titles not only because they have got better but also because the Mancs and us had been on a gradual decline. The big 4 have become big 6 because some of the traditional heavyweights have got worse. We have been hammered by the Victims and City in recent years not only because they have been good but also because they have faced poor Arsenal teams littered with average players.

We are where we are on merit and we have been so good that City aside we don't need to be looking over our shoulders. With the exception of the Victims, none of the other teams have even come close to reaching our points total after 13 games in recent years.

Luck has f*ck all to do with what Arteta and the team has done thus far this season. Its like you are forced to praise Arteta so you add an element of luck :lol: .

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

Gunnerz4life wrote:
Tue Nov 08, 2022 5:52 pm
DB10GOONER wrote:
Tue Nov 08, 2022 5:04 pm
Gunnerz4life wrote:

Yes they have managed to finish above us because we were as sh*t and worse. So what? This is a new season and we are top of the league.

Achievements in team sports is always relative. The Chavs and then City and the Victims have won league titles not only because they have got better but also because the Mancs and us had been on a gradual decline. The big 4 have become big 6 because some of the traditional heavyweights have got worse. We have been hammered by the Victims and City in recent years not only because they have been good but also because they have faced poor Arsenal teams littered with average players.

We are where we are on merit and we have been so good that City aside we don't need to be looking over our shoulders. With the exception of the Victims, none of the other teams have even come close to reaching our points total after 13 games in recent years.

Luck has f*ck all to do with what Arteta and the team has done thus far this season. Its like you are forced to praise Arteta so you add an element of luck :lol: .
I was trying to have a conversation with you but that last bit is an idiotic comment. If you can't raise your contribution past that level what's the point? I'm not forced to do anything. By anyone. The team are doing well. I still don't believe yet that he is the right man for the job. We'll see come May and then the following May. A good run in the first half of a season where all the other top teams are struggling with form and personnel issues is just that, a good run.

Hariously though, in your post you actually just confirmed exactly what I said. The position we are in is influenced by the teams around us, or is that only the case when we are the team that's not doing well? Can you see the hypocrisy of that argument? :-P

the playing mantis

Post by the playing mantis »

DB10GOONER wrote:
He keeps these results rolling in and he can bend me over. Brilliant to have beaten the scum, the victims and the chavs. 8)
Steady on DB , he's doing very well so far this season, contrary what many thought and some says he's a handsome devil, but still...

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

the playing mantis wrote:
Tue Nov 08, 2022 7:07 pm
DB10GOONER wrote:
He keeps these results rolling in and he can bend me over. Brilliant to have beaten the scum, the victims and the chavs. 8)
Steady on DB , he's doing very well so far this season, contrary what many thought and some says he's a handsome devil, but still...
:lol: :lol:

He wins us the league and I'll nosh him off! :lol: :wink:

the playing mantis

Post by the playing mantis »

Delighted and couldn't have imagined we would be where we are but have a nagging feeling it's built on sand as a Partey or Jesus injury/HMP and we are fooked. If we get decent cover for both then I will fully have drunk thr kool aid. Maybe.

StuartL
Location: It’s a new dawn, a new day a new life, for me and I’m feeling good

Post by StuartL »

the playing mantis wrote:
Tue Nov 08, 2022 7:11 pm
Delighted and couldn't have imagined we would be where we are but have a nagging feeling it's built on sand as a Partey or Jesus injury/HMP and we are fooked. If we get decent cover for both then I will fully have drunk thr kool aid. Maybe.
Was asked today by a West Ham supporting colleague who was our most important player and I answered the 3 down the spine- namely Saliba, Partey and Jesus as I think they are all equally important to this team and without any of those e for a long period we would struggle.

Don’t care who gets the goals but Jesus is causing havoc for defences and giving room for Martinelli, Saka and Odegaard to operate with more freedom.

Saliba just oozes class and it’s his first dozen or so games in the premier league :shock: :barscarf:

Partey, on top form, is as good as any midfielder in the league.

wilson2.0

Post by wilson2.0 »

DB10GOONER wrote:
Tue Nov 08, 2022 10:41 am
wilson2.0 wrote:

He's proven none of that yet. He's had a good run of results and he got rid of a few malcontents that had no motivation to play for us and were happy to be paid to leave. He's also inherited three of the PL's best young talents in a generation. If you look at the career of nearly every manager there's been you'll see a similar period of success. He may go on to be all those hyperbolic things you've called him but he certainly isn't them yet.

The elephant in the room that everyone seems to want to avoid is the state of the top six in the PL. Mousers*, mancs, chavs and scum are all going through a terrible period of form this season, and without being churlish, that has to be taken under consideration when looking at our current run.

Things change quickly in football. Remember your hysterical love-in with Bellend? Couldn't be dropped? Best full back in the world? Extending his contract was our top priority? Remember that? Remember how that turned out? :lol: :wink:

I'm not knocking Martinez-Lite here. He's done well. But let's not get carried away.
United, Liverpool Spurs and Chelsea performances have nothing to do with why we are top. We have 34 points from of 39. If we were top with 20 points and most other teams have fallen ever, fair enough. But 11W 1D 1L is elite

Redarmy

Post by Redarmy »

wilson2.0 wrote:
Wed Nov 09, 2022 8:25 am
DB10GOONER wrote:
wilson2.0 wrote:

United, Liverpool Spurs and Chelsea performances have nothing to do with why we are top. We have 34 points from of 39. If we were top with 20 points and most other teams have fallen ever, fair enough. But 11W 1D 1L is elite
Agreed we have well exceeded expectations, it is a remarkable turnaround, no doubt about it, and for that Arteta must take huge credit
Won 11 games and playing probably best football of any team in the premier
How the rest of the season will fare, who knows, definetly did not like what i saw at Southampton in that second half, to be honest they was well on top, but teams can have off days and we played the previous Thursday.
I think we can stay up there challenging, still have ESR to return who is quality, confidence is high and we have some hugely talented players, BIG worry is injuries....if Martinelli, Jesus, Saliba or Saka gets a long term injury we are fucked...City of course will hardly be affected in the same scenario

nut flush gooner

Post by nut flush gooner »

Redarmy wrote:
Wed Nov 09, 2022 9:15 am
wilson2.0 wrote:
DB10GOONER wrote:
wilson2.0 wrote:

Agreed we have well exceeded expectations, it is a remarkable turnaround, no doubt about it, and for that Arteta must take huge credit
Won 11 games and playing probably best football of any team in the premier
How the rest of the season will fare, who knows, definetly did not like what i saw at Southampton in that second half, to be honest they was well on top, but teams can have off days and we played the previous Thursday.
I think we can stay up there challenging, still have ESR to return who is quality, confidence is high and we have some hugely talented players, BIG worry is injuries....if Martinelli, Jesus, Saliba or Saka gets a long term injury we are fucked...City of course will hardly be affected in the same scenario
We need a decent DM who will fill in for Partey when he's injured or if all the shenanigans that kicked off in the summer come home to roost, although its gone all quiet on that front hasn't it. And he's playing more like a man possessed than condemned IMO.

With regards to Jesus, I would be up for paying top wedge for Mudryk who can play right across the front line. He might not be an out-and-out striker, but him Saka and Martinelli in a side that's without Jesus would be pretty tasty as a front line.

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

wilson2.0 wrote:
DB10GOONER wrote:
wilson2.0 wrote:

Hardly. We lose those games against scum chavs and mousers and that's 9 points right there. That puts us back behind the scum in the table.

Don't misinterpret me here, we are top because we are the most consistent and best performing team in the league so far this season. The manager and the players must take great credit for that. But to say that our main rivals' dismal form and ongoing personnel problems hasn't aided us is nonsense. If the chav the scum and the mousers were as good this season as they were last season I don't think we'd have beaten all three tbh. Maybe we would have, who knows? But I doubt it. They are all complete garbage so far this season, whereas we have definitely improved.

I'm hoping you turn out to be right and Martinez-Lite turns out to be some genius cross between GG and early Wenger and we dominate the PL for ten years, but we are nowhere near that yet and neither is he. Yet.