Mikel Arteta, success or failure? - Merged thread.

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.

Will he ?

Have a statue erected after 30 glorious years service?
9%
Be a success, pick up a few trophies and put the club back on an even keel?
27%
Be a moderate success, before handing over to a more high profile successor?
20%
Be an utter fucking disaster?
44%

Total votes: 100

SteveO 35

Re: Mikel Arteta, success or failure? - Merged thread.

Post by SteveO 35 »

It's key window chaps that's for sure. The type of player he signs for me is most important. I couldn't suffer more of the repeat Wenger years with tons of technical players, no characters and no physicality

The term "technical leader" seems to have emerged for our captain, which is polite talk for a gifted lad lacking in all balls or steel. Let's be honest Odegaard when the team is performing is mustard. Odegaard when the team aren't performing is anonymous

I'm not saying Rice is the new PV4 but I was impressed by the way he dragged them into the game against us and turned it round. I've been waiting for a player who does that for us when we are 2 goals down. We rarely seem to come from behind- Villa away was a nice exception and maybe a few here and there but remember the stat from the previous season. Eight away defeats and no goals scored where we conceded first. That says as much about lack of leadership as winning every game on the last day of the season says about lack of balls

If we signed a brilliant winger for 80m I fail to see how that will change anything. Big, physical leaders first and foremost please. We have pansies at RB, a non tackling LB, weak as piss CBs without Saliba, flaky arrogant cocks like Partey. All key positions, all need filling first and all with players of the PV4, Richardson, Boult, Dixon mould. Forget more technical lightweights.

The men who carried City through the rough patches were the likes of Walker and Rodri. Much as diver Grealish and the Nordic Mong took all the headlines, when you watched them earn the right to win away from home, it was guys like that. Without them you're nothing

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

We have enough "technical players". We need to add 4 or 5 top class players but we also need at least two of those players to be leaders and scrappers, the kind of players that lead by example that are respected to the extent that the weaker players step up out of respect for them and get stuck in.

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

DB10GOONER wrote:
Thu Jun 01, 2023 9:37 pm
We have enough "technical players". We need to add 4 or 5 top class players but we also need at least two of those players to be leaders and scrappers, the kind of players that lead by example that are respected to the extent that the weaker players step up out of respect for them and get stuck in.
Exactly. Remember the Van Horseface episode or the Battle of Old Trafford with the class of 91. You take one of us on, you take us all on

Compare and contrast to getting bullied by Jack Grealish, or walking off with your arm round a fellow countryman who has just got one of your players sent off by diving. If we could bring Keown, Lauren, and a few others back in a time machine, I'd send them straight to the Emptyhad to snap that dumby Brummies fucking Alice band off and strangle the fucker with the remains!

falkirk goon

Post by falkirk goon »

SteveO 35 wrote:
Fri Jun 02, 2023 11:36 am
DB10GOONER wrote:
Exactly. Remember the Van Horseface episode or the Battle of Old Trafford with the class of 91. You take one of us on, you take us all on

Compare and contrast to getting bullied by Jack Grealish, or walking off with your arm round a fellow countryman who has just got one of your players sent off by diving. If we could bring Keown, Lauren, and a few others back in a time machine, I'd send them straight to the Emptyhad to snap that dumby Brummies fucking Alice band off and strangle the fucker with the remains!
We need a couple of proper nasty bastards.The way we've wilted when the pressure has been on the last few years gets on my tits :cry: If we don't get a couple of dirty *word censored* in we would be aswell wearing brown shorts from next march onwards :oops:

Stuart L (2)

Post by Stuart L (2) »

falkirk goon wrote:
Fri Jun 02, 2023 9:56 pm
SteveO 35 wrote:
DB10GOONER wrote:

We need a couple of proper nasty bastards.The way we've wilted when the pressure has been on the last few years gets on my tits :cry: If we don't get a couple of dirty *word censored* in we would be aswell wearing brown shorts from next march onwards :oops:
To be fair Caicedo looks exactly that, tackles a player, gets up, looks for the next player to tackle - his ability to stop dead in its tracks opposition attacks would be a huge upgrade on Clive’s push in the back or pull of the shirt.
He doesn’t get many goals or assists , but we have plenty in the team to do that role already.

Rice, apparently, wins the ball back in the opposition third more than any other player - so a combination of those two with Rice playing further forward should give us much better protection.

It worried about the full back Boey we have been linked with being 5ft 5, unless Denis Wise comes out of retirement he will struggle at set pieces.

Arsenal Till I Die

Post by Arsenal Till I Die »

Breaking | PSG Sporting Advisor Luís Campos has held talks with Arsenal manager Mikel Arteta, but is pessimistic about a deal, according to RMC. More follows.

mcdowell42

Post by mcdowell42 »

Stuart L (2) wrote:
Sat Jun 03, 2023 8:01 am
falkirk goon wrote:
SteveO 35 wrote:
DB10GOONER wrote:

To be fair Caicedo looks exactly that, tackles a player, gets up, looks for the next player to tackle - his ability to stop dead in its tracks opposition attacks would be a huge upgrade on Clive’s push in the back or pull of the shirt.
He doesn’t get many goals or assists , but we have plenty in the team to do that role already.

Rice, apparently, wins the ball back in the opposition third more than any other player - so a combination of those two with Rice playing further forward should give us much better protection.

It worried about the full back Boey we have been linked with being 5ft 5, unless Denis Wise comes out of retirement he will struggle at set pieces.
Boey is 5ft 10 according to Wikipedia

Stuart L (2)

Post by Stuart L (2) »

mcdowell42 wrote:
Sat Jun 17, 2023 1:33 pm
Stuart L (2) wrote:
falkirk goon wrote:
SteveO 35 wrote:
DB10GOONER wrote:

Made you look 👀

Made you stare

Etc, etc

178 cm converts to 5’8 so somewhere in the middle.

mcdowell42

Post by mcdowell42 »

I like the stuff I post to be accurate

:lol: :lol:

BobbyPires7

Post by BobbyPires7 »

PSG are after him. Doesn’t have long left on his contract.

mcdowell42

Post by mcdowell42 »

Stuart L (2) wrote:
Sat Jun 17, 2023 1:44 pm
mcdowell42 wrote:
Stuart L (2) wrote:
falkirk goon wrote:
SteveO 35 wrote:

Made you look 👀

Made you stare

Etc, etc

1.78m in feet is 5ft10.079 :blah: :lol:

TeeCee

Post by TeeCee »

Slightly shorter than that quote tower!! :banghead:

mcdowell42

Post by mcdowell42 »

Stuart L (2) wrote:
mcdowell42 wrote:
Stuart L (2) wrote:
falkirk goon wrote:
SteveO 35 wrote:

Made you look 👀

Made you stare

Etc, etc

You mean this quote tower 8)

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

mcdowell42 wrote:
Sat Jun 17, 2023 11:29 pm
Stuart L (2) wrote:
mcdowell42 wrote:
Stuart L (2) wrote:
falkirk goon wrote:

Made you look 👀

Made you stare

Etc, etc

You mean this quote tower 8)
Quote Tower? I'm in! :barscarf:

Stuart L (2)

Post by Stuart L (2) »

mcdowell42 wrote:
Sat Jun 17, 2023 10:18 pm
Stuart L (2) wrote:
mcdowell42 wrote:
Stuart L (2) wrote:
falkirk goon wrote:

Made you look 👀

Made you stare

Etc, etc

1.78m in feet is 5ft10.079 :blah: :lol:

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=178+c ... ent=safari

Seems you can’t always trust what you read in the internet as true ! 😳

What is the world coming to ?