Mikel Arteta, success or failure? - Merged thread.

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.

Will he ?

Have a statue erected after 30 glorious years service?
9%
Be a success, pick up a few trophies and put the club back on an even keel?
27%
Be a moderate success, before handing over to a more high profile successor?
20%
Be an utter fucking disaster?
44%

Total votes: 100

BobbyPires7

Re: Mikel Arteta, success or failure? - Merged thread.

Post by BobbyPires7 »

Stuart L (2) wrote:
Mon Mar 13, 2023 8:18 pm
mcdowell42 wrote:
Mon Mar 13, 2023 8:05 pm
Mikel Arteta has been named Manager of the Year at the London Football Awards #afc
To be fair the biggest competitor this season is at Fulham or Brentford :shock: :shock:
Xhaka’s just won Pointer of The Year. Runner up was Percy the pointer dog.

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

mcdowell42 wrote:
Mikel Arteta has been named Manager of the Year at the London Football Awards #afc
Not Conte? :shock: I'm surprised. :shock:

:lol: :lol:

Congrats to Arteta. :barscarf:

A bit early maybe to have awards though. If he were to lose every remaining game the award would look like Gazza.... completely fucking stupid. :wink:

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

Bukayo Saka Also Wins! Young Player of The Year (London)8)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NQAjgrKPmDQ

LeftfootlegendGooner

Post by LeftfootlegendGooner »

OneBardGooner wrote:
Mon Mar 13, 2023 10:30 pm
Bukayo Saka Also Wins! Young Player of The Year (London)8)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NQAjgrKPmDQ
:barscarf:

Stuart L (2)

Post by Stuart L (2) »

BobbyPires7 wrote:
Mon Mar 13, 2023 9:58 pm
Stuart L (2) wrote:
Mon Mar 13, 2023 8:18 pm
mcdowell42 wrote:
To be fair the biggest competitor this season is at Fulham or Brentford :shock: :shock:
Xhaka’s just won Pointer of The Year. Runner up was Percy the pointer dog.
Woo hoo

Thanks for pointing that out Bobby P

GoonerMuzz

Post by GoonerMuzz »

IF, and it is still a big IF!, we were to win the league this season does that mean i have to give up on the Kroenke bashing for a bit?

Retro Gunner

Post by Retro Gunner »

GoonerMuzz wrote:
Wed Mar 15, 2023 12:55 pm
IF, and it is still a big IF!, we were to win the league this season does that mean i have to give up on the Kroenke bashing for a bit?
To be honest Muzz, it puts us Kroenke bashers into a quandary, whether we win the title or not. This season has been way beyond what any of us on here expected. Even if we finish 2nd, which barring the most spectacular of collapses is the least we’ll achieve, then it would be difficult to make a criticism that would gain much traction. We’d look foolish.

I want them gone, but they’ve sanctioned the spending of a lot of money in recent years and have unquestioningly backed Arteta. I think we have to keep our powder dry for a while and see how things develop.

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

Has completely surpassed my expectations and happy to admit that....but the odd European knock out win would be nice!

Stuart L (2)

Post by Stuart L (2) »

SteveO 35 wrote:
Fri Mar 17, 2023 6:31 pm
Has completely surpassed my expectations and happy to admit that....but the odd European knock out win would be nice!
I don’t think anyone on here expected us to be in this position two and a half years ago.

The early days were not great, but he has gradually got his team together, backed by the Kronke’s with a new contract and now the rewards are being reaped in terms of on the pitch performance ( in the main ) and the way the crowd and the team are connected, something I feared was gone forever after the Wenger out / Wenger is a god split.

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

Stuart L (2) wrote:
Fri Mar 17, 2023 7:56 pm
SteveO 35 wrote:
I don’t think anyone on here expected us to be in this position two and a half years ago.

The early days were not great, but he has gradually got his team together, backed by the Kronke’s with a new contract and now the rewards are being reaped in terms of on the pitch performance ( in the main ) and the way the crowd and the team are connected, something I feared was gone forever after the Wenger out / Wenger is a god split.
Yeah it has certainly been a while since the fan base were almost universally happy

I'll say what the windoickers have never wanted to hear - Arsene Wenger's last 10 years did more bad, than the first 12 did good

Literally set the club back a decade and led to a mixture of fan apathy and division

Retro Gunner

Post by Retro Gunner »

SteveO 35 wrote:
Fri Mar 17, 2023 8:03 pm
Stuart L (2) wrote:
SteveO 35 wrote:

Yeah it has certainly been a while since the fan base were almost universally happy

I'll say what the windoickers have never wanted to hear - Arsene Wenger's last 10 years did more bad, than the first 12 did good

Literally set the club back a decade and led to a mixture of fan apathy and division

Tbh SteveO, I'd go as far as the last 14 and the first 8. The rot was setting in immediately after the Invincibles season. By 2006 it was truly underway.

I'll never forgive the old fucker for what he did to the club and how, as you say, he set it back years. Many can look past that and remember the early years, but for me, the damage he did...all due to his greed and hubris...comfortably eclipses the good times. Odious character.

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

Retro Gunner wrote:
Fri Mar 17, 2023 9:11 pm
SteveO 35 wrote:
Fri Mar 17, 2023 8:03 pm
Stuart L (2) wrote:
SteveO 35 wrote:

Tbh SteveO, I'd go as far as the last 14 and the first 8. The rot was setting in immediately after the Invincibles season. By 2006 it was truly underway.

I'll never forgive the old fucker for what he did to the club and how, as you say, he set it back years. Many can look past that and remember the early years, but for me, the damage he did...all due to his greed and hubris...comfortably eclipses the good times. Odious character.
Totally Agree, TOF by then was in full Dictator mode.

Stuart L (2)

Post by Stuart L (2) »

https://www.premierleague.com/news/3124539

Manager of the month for the 4th time this season after 4 wins out of 4 :barscarf:

Klopp apparently hold the record with 5 in a season, however this season we had a combined award one month due to the World Cup.

Win it in April Mikel please 🏆🔴⚪️🥳🍻

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

GoonerMuzz wrote:
Wed Mar 15, 2023 12:55 pm
IF, and it is still a big IF!, we were to win the league this season does that mean i have to give up on the Bishop bashing for a bit?

:rubchin: :rubchin: :rubchin: :wink:

rich31

Post by rich31 »

Farteta :roll: has exceeded all expectations .I think even a top 3 finish would have been seen as real success at the beginning of the season so he has to be respected for 1st or 2nd.However I will only believe in him and all the hype if he maintains this improvement and style of football for another season at least and builds on it further .Then he really will have proven he can mix it with the best.
Got to say im loving clubs hating us and fearing us again. :barscarf: