Mikel Arteta, success or failure? - Merged thread.

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.

Will he ?

Have a statue erected after 30 glorious years service?
9%
Be a success, pick up a few trophies and put the club back on an even keel?
27%
Be a moderate success, before handing over to a more high profile successor?
20%
Be an utter fucking disaster?
44%

Total votes: 100

StuartL
Location: It’s a new dawn, a new day a new life, for me and I’m feeling good

Re: Mikel Arteta, success or failure? - Merged thread.

Post by StuartL »

Nos89 wrote:
Fri Aug 05, 2022 3:13 pm
Well, for me Arteta is no longer an inexperienced coach. It's his third pre-season he knows and understands what's expected and the demands of the league. Time to deliver, Mikel.
And whoever is part of the squad are his team, so no longer using other managers players, so yep, no excuses now

I didn’t want him as manager, but if we can play in the premier league like we have done in pre-season and not revert to tippy tappy, backwards bollocks then we will have made progress, and have a good chance of the Europa, top4 for Champions League and a cup.

goonersid

Post by goonersid »

This thread has been quiet for a few weeks!
So here goes!
I'm still far from convinced with Arteta.
Unconvincing wins against Palace and Fulham!
Almost allowed Leicester back into the game!
Comfortable win against Bournemouth, who could well finish the season with the lowest ever points total and record goals conceded.
Yes we do look stronger than last season and so we should given the money spent!
The wheels will come off soon enough, because when it goes wrong, Arteta won't know how to fix it!

A11M11

Post by A11M11 »

It's being cheerful that keeps you going , apparently.

gooner265

Post by gooner265 »

Fuck me , may as well burn my season ticket then and go and support Dartford!

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

I am beginning to warm to Arteta and obviously I truly want him (us) to succeed, but he keeps selecting Clive ... and I just think WTF!? :duh: :worried:

:?

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

gooner265 wrote:
Tue Aug 30, 2022 11:52 am
:lol:

Ooh to, Ooh to be, ooh to be a Dartford something or other....

:rubchin:

No mate, can't see it, you'll have to stay with us and sid's "optimistic" outlook! :lol: :wink:

gooner265

Post by gooner265 »

DB10GOONER wrote:
Tue Aug 30, 2022 5:00 pm
gooner265 wrote:
Tue Aug 30, 2022 11:52 am
:lol:

Ooh to, Ooh to be, ooh to be a Dartford something or other....

:rubchin:

No mate, can't see it, you'll have to stay with us and sid's "optimistic" outlook! :lol: :wink:
:lol: it just cracks me up , we havent played anyone yet, we should have won all these games 6-0 etc.
Southampton have just beat Chelsea, fulham have just beaten a good Brighton side , also got a draw at bindippers .
Lots of theses so called easy games really arent , especially with the money so called smaller clubs are spending these days.

Good start , long way to go , midfield still concerns me , cant believe we haven't signed anyone there but the vibe is the best ive k own for years and atmosphere at the ground fantastic.

A11M11

Post by A11M11 »

but he keeps selecting Clive .

if there are still doubts over Partey and Zinchenko and with Elneny not available , he aint got much choice tomorrow.

g88ner

Post by g88ner »

Nos89 wrote:
Well, for me Arteta is no longer an inexperienced coach. It's his third pre-season he knows and understands what's expected and the demands of the league. Time to deliver, Mikel.
Agreed, time to deliver.

There’s some on here who still refer to Arteta as a novice :lol: It’s very charitable of them but I can’t agree. Over 100 games, FA cup winner and a European campaign under his belt. Pressure should be on; probation is over.

gooner265

Post by gooner265 »

g88ner wrote:
Wed Aug 31, 2022 11:26 am
Nos89 wrote:
Agreed, time to deliver.

There’s some on here who still refer to Arteta as a novice :lol: It’s very charitable of them but I can’t agree. Over 100 games, FA cup winner and a European campaign under his belt. Pressure should be on; probation is over.
Agreed , its his team now , deadwood gone , pressure is on . Early signs are good but next two months will tell us a lot more.

Nos89

Post by Nos89 »

goonersid wrote:
Tue Aug 30, 2022 9:10 am
This thread has been quiet for a few weeks!
So here goes!
I'm still far from convinced with Arteta.
Unconvincing wins against Palace and Fulham!
Almost allowed Leicester back into the game!
Comfortable win against Bournemouth, who could well finish the season with the lowest ever points total and record goals conceded.
Yes we do look stronger than last season and so we should given the money spent!
The wheels will come off soon enough, because when it goes wrong, Arteta won't know how to fix it!
We've won the games as I expected us too. Now the test will begin. Arteta has shown he does learn from his mistakes which suggests to me he will fix things when the wheels come off. He stamped his authority with Auba when he didn't with Ozil.
I still don't get what Xhaka brings to the team but the guy has been selected by 4 different Arsenal managers and has 104 caps for Switzerland so Arteta isn't on his own.

StuartL
Location: It’s a new dawn, a new day a new life, for me and I’m feeling good

Post by StuartL »

Another massive gamble akin to January in just seeing the season out with no Auba replacement….maybe (maybe) justified if they has Jesus lined up for the summer.

What I can’t comprehend is how with Partey, Elneny and now Zinchenko all injured why you would sanction moves for Azeez and AMN. :banghead:

Neither may be the long term answer but either.or both, could have filled a gap in the early rounds of the Europa or League Cup, giving rest to proper first team players and then could still have gone in January if needs be.

The gamble in Jan failed, resulting in no CL, we have had a great start to the season, and should have strengthened to keep the gap on Chelsea, Mancs, etc as 4th or higher is a realistic prospect this season :banghead:

g88ner

Post by g88ner »

StuartL wrote:
Fri Sep 02, 2022 3:14 pm
Another massive gamble akin to January in just seeing the season out with no Auba replacement….maybe (maybe) justified if they has Jesus lined up for the summer.

What I can’t comprehend is how with Partey, Elneny and now Zinchenko all injured why you would sanction moves for Azeez and AMN. :banghead:

Neither may be the long term answer but either.or both, could have filled a gap in the early rounds of the Europa or League Cup, giving rest to proper first team players and then could still have gone in January if needs be.

The gamble in Jan failed, resulting in no CL, we have had a great start to the season, and should have strengthened to keep the gap on Chelsea, Mancs, etc as 4th or higher is a realistic prospect this season :banghead:
Yeah, I don’t get why AMN was allowed to leave either. We need cover.

I do see the parallels but it’s not as bad as January though. Terminating Auba and bringing no one in was self harm at its best. It’s amazing we cobbled enough goals together to make us competitive tbh :shock:

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

He's a very fortunate guy to have been given the backing he has had from the owners, on the back of our worst sequential league finishes since the mid 70s. Funnily enough I was watching the Big Match Revisited yesterday - Arsenal v Luton from 1974, and the talk then of Charlie George leaving and the club being in crisis. I was only 2 at the time, so can't remember it but my old man reckons it was one of our worst periods in his lifetime, so Arteta did well to survive a couple of 8th places.....saved by the FA Cup for sure

However, he has now had the backing and it's time to shine. Despite everything I've said about him, I sincerely hope with all my heart that he proves me (and many others) totally wrong, and that we're back here in reflective mood at the end of the season, saying it just proved that it takes 3-4 years to build a team, well done to the board for backing the right man etc. Honestly - I really hope that's true.

My real fear is that this will end up being the Arsenal of 08/09 again - so many great young talents, always 2-3 players away from being the finished article. I hope not!

BFG4

Post by BFG4 »

I still think Arteta is tactically clueless. To allow your defence to be exposed that much in a big away game(when your level) is criminal. On top of that having one game plan which revolves around complete dependence on your wide players and no variation is playing into the oppositions hands.