Mikel Arteta, success or failure? - Merged thread.

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.

Will he ?

Have a statue erected after 30 glorious years service?
9%
Be a success, pick up a few trophies and put the club back on an even keel?
27%
Be a moderate success, before handing over to a more high profile successor?
20%
Be an utter fucking disaster?
44%

Total votes: 100

Redarmy

Re: Mikel Arteta, success or failure? - Merged thread.

Post by Redarmy »

To be honest was very doubtful when he was appointed manager as a first job novice at a massive Club like the Arsenal
But where we are now with this team is simply incredible...beyond belief...and the quality of the football !!!

He has shown his ability in his team tactics, eye for detail and bringing the team and fans together as one...he has installed belief
Probably he is surprised where we are a bit earlier than expected, sure Xhaka will be reduced to a squad player when we make some midfield signings in the summer.

I for one am absolutely loving it....and fully supporting the team and manager...we got our Arsenal back :barscarf:

KingHenry

Post by KingHenry »

If Arteta had been sacked after finishing 8th twice and throwing away 4th last season no one could have argued with that. No one saw this season coming. If in August i had said to you we would finish 2nd 20 points behind Man City you would have bitten my hand off but now finishing 2nd from where we are now would be seen as a failure

Stuart L (2)

Post by Stuart L (2) »

KingHenry wrote:
Fri Mar 03, 2023 8:28 pm
If Arteta had been sacked after finishing 8th twice and throwing away 4th last season no one could have argued with that. No one saw this season coming. If in August i had said to you we would finish 2nd 20 points behind Man City you would have bitten my hand off but now finishing 2nd from where we are now would be seen as a failure
Failure ? No, not in my book

A disappointment, for sure, having been league leaders for so long, but we have made huge strides this season and playing some of the best football since the Invincible team.

We have been without Jesus, who is arguably the player whose all round play was elevating us to a higher level for a large chunk of the season and jumped hurdle after hurdle.

Like you said, we would have all been over the moon if we were told 2nd place was our finishing place

I’m trying not to get my hopes up of winning it, but with each passing game we edge closer and closer it becomes more achievable, yet if we fall short, it will still have been an incredible season, one where the fans have unified, backed the team with loud, raucous, passion and finally made the Emirates home and we have our Arsenal back

:barscarf: :barscarf: :barscarf:

Midz

Post by Midz »

Anyone read the interview with Arteta in the Telegraph this week?

More about him as a person and what he likes to wear rather than the football. Very interesting if you can get access to it.

Redarmy

Post by Redarmy »

Stuart L (2) wrote:
Fri Mar 03, 2023 8:41 pm
KingHenry wrote:

A disappointment, for sure, having been league leaders for so long, but we have made huge strides this season and playing some of the best football since the Invincible team.

We have been without Jesus, who is arguably the player whose all round play was elevating us to a higher level for a large chunk of the season and jumped hurdle after hurdle.

Like you said, we would have all been over the moon if we were told 2nd place was our finishing place

I’m trying not to get my hopes up of winning it, but with each passing game we edge closer and closer it becomes more achievable, yet if we fall short, it will still have been an incredible season, one where the fans have unified, backed the team with loud, raucous, passion and finally made the Emirates home and we have our Arsenal back

totally agree Stuart...as per my post above .... this season has been incredible.... :barscarf: :barscarf: :barscarf:

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

Stuart L (2) wrote:
KingHenry wrote:

Depends on how we didn't win it. Gutsy fight to the end and found just shy by a few points? Disappointing for sure but not failure. A complete collapse like last season? That's failure two seasons running and I'd want him gone.

But as I said earlier, I don't think we will collapse, I think we'll be there or thereabouts at the end.

gooner265

Post by gooner265 »

DB10GOONER wrote:
Thu Mar 02, 2023 10:57 am
nut flush gooner wrote:
Thu Mar 02, 2023 6:02 am
We've got Super Mik Arteta!!

Dead and buried after the City game, it looked ominous. But no matter what happens for the rest of this season, no sane Arsenal fan can question Arteta. We have an elite manager that won't stop until we are right back at the top.

So pleased the board trusted the process. Arteta is executing at a high level right now.
Sorry Nutty mate but that's a leetle beet horseshit. :wink:

We are doing great, winning games and mostly playing good football to boot. He's certainly doing much much better than I or most on here thought he would do and all credit to him for that. There's a buzz around the club again and that too is down to him and the players. 8)

But you are telling me that if with 5 or 6 games to go to win the league and we collapsed again like last season, and blew the title, you would not question Arteta? I would. Its a success driven business. You succeed or you get replaced.

He's not yet an elite manager to my way of thinking. He's a good manager. When he wins a big trophy like the PL he becomes a great manager. But to become an elite manager he needs to win the PL at least a couple or more times and maybe a CL too.

The words "elite" and "legend" are bandied around too lightly nowadays.
I woukdnt even say Wenger was an elite manager, he never won the title on the bounce and was a failure in Europe.
Arteta has clearly proved a lot of people wrong and is building something here but he has a lit to prove yet but he has earnt the right to an extended stay already IMO.The feel around the place is as incredible as its ever been and so glad I kept my season ticket as I was very close to giving it up, it was only the banter with the lads that jept me going through the dark days.

Stuart L (2)

Post by Stuart L (2) »

Redarmy wrote:
Sat Mar 04, 2023 7:04 am
Stuart L (2) wrote:
KingHenry wrote:

totally agree Stuart...as per my post above .... this season has been incredible.... :barscarf: :barscarf: :barscarf:
The turn around has been quite remarkable - even the games we have lost , Everton away apart, we had lots of possession and could have got points.
From hardly caring to being nervous as hell now, pre match , is awsome.

It’s almost as if Super Mik Arteta knew exactly what we needed but just needed the time to put it into practice. :shock:
I didn’t agree with playing out form the back with Leno, Luiz, Bellerin, etc, who clearly could not do it.

Exciting times ahead given the level we are at now and the fact our team is so young and the potential to progress even more, with high quality youngsters coming through in the next 2/ 3 years on top.

augie

Post by augie »

Redarmy wrote:
Fri Mar 03, 2023 7:02 am
To be honest was very doubtful when he was appointed manager as a first job novice at a massive Club like the Arsenal
But where we are now with this team is simply incredible...beyond belief...and the quality of the football !!!

He has shown his ability in his team tactics, eye for detail and bringing the team and fans together as one...he has installed belief
Probably he is surprised where we are a bit earlier than expected, sure Xhaka will be reduced to a squad player when we make some midfield signings in the summer.

I for one am absolutely loving it....and fully supporting the team and manager...we got our Arsenal back :barscarf:

This I'm not having - how exactly has he shown that ? Like his senile mentor who went before him (le cock), he has one way and only one way of playing, and cannot adapt tactically to different opposition. Newcastle and Everton both showed how easy it was to nullify his tactics, and he had no response to change the game in our favour.

I also agree with DB10 - unless we collapse in run in, finishing second does not make this season a failure. We didnt expect to be in a title race this season, so how can we class it as a failure not winning it ? We have had some exciting games, and we are playing with passion and commitment again, so unless we collapse I will look at it as progress but probably a big chance lost cos next season will be a lot tougher imo

gooner265

Post by gooner265 »

DB10GOONER wrote:
Sat Mar 04, 2023 10:33 am
Stuart L (2) wrote:
KingHenry wrote:

Depends on how we didn't win it. Gutsy fight to the end and found just shy by a few points? Disappointing for sure but not failure. A complete collapse like last season? That's failure two seasons running and I'd want him gone.

But as I said earlier, I don't think we will collapse, I think we'll be there or thereabouts at the end.
Experience and a bigger squad will prevent a collapse this year and we're running out of games for a collapse. Need to build as many points as possible next few games as it gets tricky soon. Dont give a fuck about Europa thats just another champions league opportunity which we should have pretty nailed on now.

Redarmy

Post by Redarmy »

augie wrote:
Sat Mar 04, 2023 11:29 am
Redarmy wrote:

This I'm not having - how exactly has he shown that ? Like his senile mentor who went before him (le cock), he has one way and only one way of playing, and cannot adapt tactically to different opposition. Newcastle and Everton both showed how easy it was to nullify his tactics, and he had no response to change the game in our favour.

I also agree with DB10 - unless we collapse in run in, finishing second does not make this season a failure. We didnt expect to be in a title race this season, so how can we class it as a failure not winning it ? We have had some exciting games, and we are playing with passion and commitment again, so unless we collapse I will look at it as progress but probably a big chance lost cos next season will be a lot tougher imo
Agree about Newcastle and Everton, the geordies defended for their life and time wasted continually....as for everton that felt like a mugging...and took the team by surprise.....i said before the game coud not believe arteta was not prepared for this...anyway cant get it right all the time :D

Just 3 defeats so far sounds pretty good to me, still remember the days when we used to get total hammerings away from home

Delighted with the amazing progress....and looking forward to travelling in europe :barscarf: :barscarf: :barscarf:

Redarmy

Post by Redarmy »

augie wrote:
Sat Mar 04, 2023 11:29 am
Redarmy wrote:

You are definetly a half glass full fella.... :wink:

GoonerMuzz

Post by GoonerMuzz »

I'll be more than happy to eat humble pie at the end of the season if required, as for those maligning Arteta's ability to alter things you all seem to forget he is hardly a seasoned manager and is still learning his trade, bearing in mind whom he learned from first as well, and tbh Pep isn't much better.

Hopefully over the next few years his ability to improvise and adapt will improve as he gains more experience and tempers his own nature however that being said, a collapse would be tragic but again many of you are overlooking the age and experience of the squad as well, one or two youngsters can be carried however we have 5 or 6 regularly playing.

I'll say it now IF and it is a big IF they were to go on and win the league this would be nearly on par with the Invincibles in terms of achievement....... and never forget they would have done it with Xhaka!!

Oh and it would also be the youngest team to ever win the EPL

mcdowell42

Post by mcdowell42 »

Mikel Arteta has been named Manager of the Year at the London Football Awards #afc

Stuart L (2)

Post by Stuart L (2) »

mcdowell42 wrote:
Mon Mar 13, 2023 8:05 pm
Mikel Arteta has been named Manager of the Year at the London Football Awards #afc
To be fair the biggest competitor this season is at Fulham or Brentford :shock: :shock: