Mikel Arteta, success or failure? - Merged thread.

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.

Will he ?

Have a statue erected after 30 glorious years service?
9%
Be a success, pick up a few trophies and put the club back on an even keel?
27%
Be a moderate success, before handing over to a more high profile successor?
20%
Be an utter fucking disaster?
45%

Total votes: 101

g88ner

Re: Mikel Arteta, success or failure? - Merged thread.

Post by g88ner »

SteveO 35 wrote:
Wed May 18, 2022 9:25 pm

7 times we conceded first in away games

7 defeats

0 goals scored

If you ever needed a stat to sum up the lack of leadership and belief under Carpet Head that would be it. I doubt there's a more shocking statistic for a supposed big club anywhere in Europe.

The term leadership means different things to different people… “leader of men”, “leads by example”, etc. Ultimately good players get called leaders and shit players don’t. :lol:

Laca is totally impotent in front of goal (no goals from open play in 2022 and 12 shots on target all season :shock: ) yet considered by some to be a “leader”… unfortunately he’s shit :lol:

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

g88ner wrote:
Thu May 19, 2022 10:47 am
SteveO 35 wrote:
Wed May 18, 2022 9:25 pm

7 times we conceded first in away games

7 defeats

0 goals scored

If you ever needed a stat to sum up the lack of leadership and belief under Carpet Head that would be it. I doubt there's a more shocking statistic for a supposed big club anywhere in Europe.

The term leadership means different things to different people… “leader of men”, “leads by example”, etc. Ultimately good players get called leaders and shit players don’t. :lol:

Laca is totally impotent in front of goal (no goals from open play in 2022 and 12 shots on target all season :shock: ) yet considered by some to be a “leader”… unfortunately he’s shit :lol:
The stat itself should be enough for anyone with half a brain to say "do you know what.....something isn't right here"

As I've said, I find that stat absolutely galling. It isn't even as though we were unlucky in any of those games and I watched them all - Brentford, City, Liverpool, Palace, Southampton, Newcastle, Spurs - we went a goal down, the body language was that of a team without leadership. Slumped shoulders, physically bullied, feeling sorry for themselves and barely able to muster a shot for the rest of the game. Age alone doesn't make a leader, but its also very rare that a successful team doesn't have its share of 28-33 year olds and you just need to look at former great Arsenal teams and the two current best teams in the country to realise that fact. Of course they need to be half decent - our players in that category are Xhaka, Elneny and Lacazette, none of whom are good enough for the first team on a regular basis and none of whom would move on to a higher placed club if they left tomorrow

skipper

Post by skipper »

People need to stop saying this is Arteta's second season. In which season did he win FA Cup then? It's his third season, he's had FIVE transfer windows so far. This team is his team, to the player.

There is so much bad stats when it comes to Arteta that I would suggest we all start gathering it, because sooner or later majority of supporters will start seeing through clubs' PR bullshit, and he will, just like any manager, live or die by his result. That's if we're still serious and ambitious club, a statement which looks more and more doubtful with each passing day.

3 seasons, 1 FA Cup, 1 Charity Shield, 2x 8th place finishes, 1 fifth place finish. NOt too bad at first glance, until you realise this comes from the manger that was planning to WIN CL NEXT SEASON :rubchin: So when you put those two together it's easier to see that our manager is a bit of bullshiter, the sort we cringe at watching Apprentice, laughing at delusions of themselves.

Not once had we scored over 60 goals per season.

After spending over £150m on defensive players since he arrived, we've conceded 47 goals in 37 games so far this season.

26 PL matches LOST in last two seasons.

etc etc etc

This Summer is probably the last chance for the club to show REAL ambition and in order to do that they have to make sure every fucker inside Arsenal, including the manager, knows that Saka is the main asset and that team has to be built around him and not Arteta's favourite Ode (good player but nowhere near Saka level). And if Arteta can't do it, there will be plenty of managers who can. Because we all know there's nothing special about Mikel Arteta, his massive ego aside. Even people who blindly support him must know it.

Gunner Rob

Post by Gunner Rob »

skipper wrote:
Thu May 19, 2022 2:29 pm
People need to stop saying this is Arteta's second season. In which season did he win FA Cup then? It's his third season, he's had FIVE transfer windows so far. This team is his team, to the player.

There is so much bad stats when it comes to Arteta that I would suggest we all start gathering it, because sooner or later majority of supporters will start seeing through clubs' PR bullshit, and he will, just like any manager, live or die by his result. That's if we're still serious and ambitious club, a statement which looks more and more doubtful with each passing day.

3 seasons, 1 FA Cup, 1 Charity Shield, 2x 8th place finishes, 1 fifth place finish. NOt too bad at first glance, until you realise this comes from the manger that was planning to WIN CL NEXT SEASON :rubchin: So when you put those two together it's easier to see that our manager is a bit of bullshiter, the sort we cringe at watching Apprentice, laughing at delusions of themselves.

Not once had we scored over 60 goals per season.

After spending over £150m on defensive players since he arrived, we've conceded 47 goals in 37 games so far this season.

26 PL matches LOST in last two seasons.

etc etc etc

This Summer is probably the last chance for the club to show REAL ambition and in order to do that they have to make sure every fucker inside Arsenal, including the manager, knows that Saka is the main asset and that team has to be built around him and not Arteta's favourite Ode (good player but nowhere near Saka level). And if Arteta can't do it, there will be plenty of managers who can. Because we all know there's nothing special about Mikel Arteta, his massive ego aside. Even people who blindly support him must know it.
what do you mean by real ambition ?

arrgee

Post by arrgee »

Gunner Rob wrote:
Thu May 19, 2022 8:26 am
We are now a club that aims for a top 4 place and might occasionally get it, whereas for the past 100 years we were a club that aimed for the title and very occasionally got it.
I don’t remember Arsenal aiming for the title too much until late 1980s. 1971 was a bit of a blip, because for about 16 years prior and 16 years after they never got anywhere near winning the league. Were runners up in 1973, but were always trailing Liverpool. Of course from 1930-1953, Arsenal were always likely to win the league claiming 7 out of 16 along with three top 3 places.

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

Congratulations on being just about the only manager who actually has me thinking I'd rather see Wenger back

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

SteveO 35 wrote:
Thu May 19, 2022 7:58 pm
Congratulations on being just about the only manager who actually has me thinking I'd rather see Wenger back
I think the problem is that after Wenger was sacked we thought "well at least it'll never be that bad again". And fuck me it is that bad again, probably worse! :shock:

It's like finding out the cure for your infected ring piece has a side effect that makes your cock smaller**.

**medical data supplied by Dr Roddaz. :wink:

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

DB10GOONER wrote:
Thu May 19, 2022 9:00 pm
SteveO 35 wrote:
I think the problem is that after Wenger was sacked we thought "well at least it'll never be that bad again". And fuck me it is that bad again, probably worse! :shock:

It's like finding out the cure for your infected ring piece has a side effect that makes your cock smaller**.

**medical data supplied by Dr Roddaz. :wink:
The very mention of Olympiacos these past couple of days has got Rodders looking like he's pitching a tent in his underpants

augie

Post by augie »

SteveO 35 wrote:

In many ways the current situation is even worse than in le cocks latter years - I never agreed with it, but back then you can understand that some fans were remaining loyal to wenger cos of past glories, and because of that the club remained loyal to him too. I constantly asked the question back then as to how long any person should be allowed to continue to feast off successes that happened almost a decade previously, and it was the fear that the club couldnt move on that scared me most. Fast forward to current day and the fact that this board has just given this basque bluffer a new 3 year contract is even worse than all those contract extensions given to the senile french cock, and it is the despair at this decision which is torturing me more right now than any of our recent defeats and performances

Years ago when he had his early success, AFC basically handed the keys of the castle to wenger to run it as he seen fit, and now it seems we have done same with pep's cone boy - we have allowed this c.unt to run players out of the club as he wishes regardless of value of the players, both in football and financial terms. For example, I know that guendouzi and torreira were not the new PV4 and petit, but they are both far better than all bar partey in our current centre midfield options, and they would have made important contributions in our quest for top 4. Likewise auba isnt the same striker that he was, but does anyone honestly believe that he wouldnt have scored any more goals than laca or nketieh ? It isnt that I want to rehash all these decisions cos they cant be changed now, but what worries me is if he is gonna be allowed to continue to make decisions like that unchecked by those above him - I have stated previously that I honestly feel that if this basque c.unt is given the same power in the next 2 years as the last 2 years, then we will lose smith-rowe and martinelli in those two years and they are the kind of actions that a club can take years to recover from. Obviously lego head still has the support of those above him, and that support will see them back him when it comes to selling saliba in the summer, but the pr machine will be rolled out for that one and it will be said that saliba wanted to go/wouldnt sign a new contract/wanted to play champions league - it certainly wont be as easy for arteta and his pr team to fob off any supporters unhappiness at how he treats fan favourites smith-rowe and martinelli in the future, so watch carefully to see him start to publicly plant seeds casting doubts over their attitude or work-rate or something so that he can try to justify not picking them, cos believe me that will happen

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

augie wrote:
Thu May 19, 2022 10:00 pm
SteveO 35 wrote:

In many ways the current situation is even worse than in le cocks latter years - I never agreed with it, but back then you can understand that some fans were remaining loyal to wenger cos of past glories, and because of that the club remained loyal to him too. I constantly asked the question back then as to how long any person should be allowed to continue to feast off successes that happened almost a decade previously, and it was the fear that the club couldnt move on that scared me most. Fast forward to current day and the fact that this board has just given this basque bluffer a new 3 year contract is even worse than all those contract extensions given to the senile french cock, and it is the despair at this decision which is torturing me more right now than any of our recent defeats and performances

Years ago when he had his early success, AFC basically handed the keys of the castle to wenger to run it as he seen fit, and now it seems we have done same with pep's cone boy - we have allowed this c.unt to run players out of the club as he wishes regardless of value of the players, both in football and financial terms. For example, I know that guendouzi and torreira were not the new PV4 and petit, but they are both far better than all bar partey in our current centre midfield options, and they would have made important contributions in our quest for top 4. Likewise auba isnt the same striker that he was, but does anyone honestly believe that he wouldnt have scored any more goals than laca or nketieh ? It isnt that I want to rehash all these decisions cos they cant be changed now, but what worries me is if he is gonna be allowed to continue to make decisions like that unchecked by those above him - I have stated previously that I honestly feel that if this basque c.unt is given the same power in the next 2 years as the last 2 years, then we will lose smith-rowe and martinelli in those two years and they are the kind of actions that a club can take years to recover from. Obviously lego head still has the support of those above him, and that support will see them back him when it comes to selling saliba in the summer, but the pr machine will be rolled out for that one and it will be said that saliba wanted to go/wouldnt sign a new contract/wanted to play champions league - it certainly wont be as easy for arteta and his pr team to fob off any supporters unhappiness at how he treats fan favourites smith-rowe and martinelli in the future, so watch carefully to see him start to publicly plant seeds casting doubts over their attitude or work-rate or something so that he can try to justify not picking them, cos believe me that will happen
My problem with Wenger was when he did have money. The supposed great Economist who spent 42m on Ozil, 35m on Mustafi, 32m on Xhaka, swapped 60m Alexis for Mkhitaryan, 11m for the Chavski helmet head c.unt

This prick has allowed Guendouzi, Torreira, Aubameyang and Chambers to leave for a combined total of 11m. Saliba will join that list as a freebie. Liverpool would have sold that lot for about 100m

The club is getting what it truly deserves

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

augie wrote:
Thu May 19, 2022 10:00 pm
SteveO 35 wrote:

To paraphrase Jules Winfield in Pulp Fiction: "paragraphs motherfucker, do you use them?"

:lol: :wink:

augie

Post by augie »

Never watched the movie - have no clue what that means :?

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

augie wrote:
Fri May 20, 2022 11:06 am
:shock:

Tell me you are joking. :lol:

augie

Post by augie »

DB10GOONER wrote:
Fri May 20, 2022 5:07 pm
augie wrote:

I'm not

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

augie wrote:
Fri May 20, 2022 7:21 pm
DB10GOONER wrote:
Fri May 20, 2022 5:07 pm
augie wrote:

I'm not

Wow. Just like fucking wow, man. My mind is blown. :lol: It is, no exaggeration, a classic of modern cinema.