Mikel Arteta, success or failure? - Merged thread.

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.

Will he ?

Have a statue erected after 30 glorious years service?
9%
Be a success, pick up a few trophies and put the club back on an even keel?
27%
Be a moderate success, before handing over to a more high profile successor?
20%
Be an utter fucking disaster?
44%

Total votes: 100

Redarmy

Re: Mikel Arteta, success or failure? - Merged thread.

Post by Redarmy »

BFG4 wrote:
Tue Sep 06, 2022 9:52 am
I still think Arteta is tactically clueless. To allow your defence to be exposed that much in a big away game(when your level) is criminal. On top of that having one game plan which revolves around complete dependence on your wide players and no variation is playing into the oppositions hands.
some truth in that...the way the CBs were so wide apart and no cover in front was absolutely criminal....with just a simple punt through the middle and they was on a clear run for their second goal....that was way too open....

wilson2.0

Post by wilson2.0 »

We lost that game by the finest of margins. When Saka scored, we were growing in confidence & it felt like we would swallow Man United whole. They were shitting themselves no doubt, like fuck they were in control. All of a sudden, a run through on goal and its 2-1 against the run of play.

People say its naive, I dont think its naive. I think Arteta was well aware of the risks but trusted the players to keep up the pressure, maintain control of the ball, and when the ball is lost press the opposition to stop the quick pass and get back into defensive shape. As a believer in what Arteta is doing, I call it aggression. They weren't naive tactics. They were aggressive tactics. You dont get 80 points a season playing counter attacking football. You need to get on the ball and own the game. Get as many touches on the ball in the opposition final third /box and be ruthless Infront of goal. Gary Neville says Arteta is naive like he knows better. I dont think there is a topflight club that would trust Gary Neville to manage its team. Areta doesn't needs lessons from rat face. I wouldnt be repeating Neville's anti Arteta bias.

Arteta isnt trying to finish 4th, he is trying to get the team to the level of Man City. Although Arteta needs to be ruthless and realise ASL is not a player capable of executing this level of football. I know Partey is out, as is Elneny who is a steady hand, but the single pivot cannot be carried by the rest of the team when playing a very aggressive high line high press.

So this idea Arteta was blindly ignorant to the risks of the counterattack is just generic thinking. Of course he knew the risk, but if we are going to level up the players and Arteta are going to have to deal with the associated risks, not run away from them.

You think Man United are going to level up playing that deep every game and relying on Rashford chasing the ball like an excited Alsatian dog?

A11M11

Post by A11M11 »

I always admire people that try to defend the indefensible .
Arteta was at fault on his tactics and substitutions. We were back level at 1-1 with about 30 minutes left .Looking at the bigger picture being top of the league taking a point would have been a good result . Throwing the baby with the bathwater was not the way to go. He should have protected what he had . That's how you win leagues by not throwing points away. .

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

wilson2.0 wrote:
Tue Sep 06, 2022 12:01 pm
We lost that game by the finest of margins. When Saka scored, we were growing in confidence & it felt like we would swallow Man United whole. They were shitting themselves no doubt, like fuck they were in control. All of a sudden, a run through on goal and its 2-1 against the run of play.

People say its naive, I dont think its naive. I think Arteta was well aware of the risks but trusted the players to keep up the pressure, maintain control of the ball, and when the ball is lost press the opposition to stop the quick pass and get back into defensive shape. As a believer in what Arteta is doing, I call it aggression. They weren't naive tactics. They were aggressive tactics. You dont get 80 points a season playing counter attacking football. You need to get on the ball and own the game. Get as many touches on the ball in the opposition final third /box and be ruthless Infront of goal. Gary Neville says Arteta is naive like he knows better. I dont think there is a topflight club that would trust Gary Neville to manage its team. Areta doesn't needs lessons from rat face. I wouldnt be repeating Neville's anti Arteta bias.

Arteta isnt trying to finish 4th, he is trying to get the team to the level of Man City. Although Arteta needs to be ruthless and realise ASL is not a player capable of executing this level of football. I know Partey is out, as is Elneny who is a steady hand, but the single pivot cannot be carried by the rest of the team when playing a very aggressive high line high press.

So this idea Arteta was blindly ignorant to the risks of the counterattack is just generic thinking. Of course he knew the risk, but if we are going to level up the players and Arteta are going to have to deal with the associated risks, not run away from them.

You think Man United are going to level up playing that deep every game and relying on Rashford chasing the ball like an excited Alsatian dog?
I thank God every day you are not our manager. :lol: :wink:

I'm sorry but it seems you know not very much about football. One of the members here asked do you even watch English football. After your response above I have my doubts. Even Martinez-Lite's biggest defenders admit it was naivety on his part ffs mate. :lol:

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

A11M11 wrote:
Tue Sep 06, 2022 1:53 pm
Arteta was at fault on his tactics and substitutions. We were back level at 1-1 with about 30 minutes left .Looking at the bigger picture being top of the league taking a point would have been a good result . Throwing the baby with the bathwater was not the way to go. He should have protected what he had . That's how you win leagues by not throwing points away. .
Exactly. Even at two - one we were still in it with 30 minutes to go. We were playing the better football and mostly had better possession of the ball. That triple substitution was child like and killed us. The manager panicked and let his inexperience get the better of him. We deserved at least a draw from that game.

augie

Post by augie »

wilson2.0 wrote:

Just to clarify here, why are you picking out sambi ? On Sunday he was fcuking miles better than either of the two clowns in midfield with him, but yet you highlight him as not being off the required level :? Did you watch the game at all ??

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

augie wrote:
Tue Sep 06, 2022 3:48 pm
wilson2.0 wrote:

Just to clarify here, why are you picking out sambi ? On Sunday he was fcuking miles better than either of the two clowns in midfield with him, but yet you highlight him as not being off the required level :? Did you watch the game at all ??
Yeah, that was bizarre. Lokonga had a rough start to his time with us sure enough, but he is much better this season and was our best midfielder on Sunday by a long shot. Note Wilson never criticises Lobotomy Clive, only the players around him.... it's borderline wuming tbh....

Retro Gunner

Post by Retro Gunner »

DB10GOONER wrote:
Tue Sep 06, 2022 4:49 pm
augie wrote:
wilson2.0 wrote:

Yeah, that was bizarre. Lokonga had a rough start to his time with us sure enough, but he is much better this season and was our best midfielder on Sunday by a long shot. Note Wilson never criticises Lobotomy Clive, only the players around him.... it's borderline wuming tbh....

There's a lot of it about.

goonersid

Post by goonersid »

DB10GOONER wrote:
Tue Sep 06, 2022 2:54 pm
A11M11 wrote:
Exactly. Even at two - one we were still in it with 30 minutes to go. We were playing the better football and mostly had better possession of the ball. That triple substitution was child like and killed us. The manager panicked and let his inexperience get the better of him. We deserved at least a draw from that game.
Hardly inexperience, over 3 years in the job!
the word is incompetence!

augie

Post by augie »

goonersid wrote:
Tue Sep 06, 2022 9:06 pm
DB10GOONER wrote:
A11M11 wrote:

Absolutely right Sid - man has proven time and time again that his in game management is shit, and he doesnt know how to react to changes in a game. In american football the coaches script out the first 10-15 plays for the offence in every game and something like that would be good for the cone boy cos pre game is probably what he shines at, but ouirs is a totally different sport that is played more off the cuff and requires real time adjustments that bamboozle the cone boy time after time and it aint improving

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

goonersid wrote:
Tue Sep 06, 2022 9:06 pm
DB10GOONER wrote:
A11M11 wrote:
You know what I meant. He is inexperienced as a top level manager at a top level club. He hasn't put in the hard yards in the lower leagues or at a smaller club. So the stuff he should have learned over a 3 to 5 year period in the lower leagues or at a smaller club, he is now learning with us. I consider a manager as inexperienced until at least 5 years in the job. He's still a novice making novice mistakes.

Kingralph

Post by Kingralph »

Can we bin him off and get Tuchel instead, please? :barscarf:

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

DB10GOONER wrote:
Tue Sep 06, 2022 4:49 pm
augie wrote:
wilson2.0 wrote:

Arteta isnt trying to finish 4th, he is trying to get the team to the level of Man City. Although Arteta needs to be ruthless and :D realise ASL is not a player capable of executing this level of football. I know Partey is out, as is Elneny who is a steady hand, but the single pivot cannot be carried by the rest of the team when playing a very aggressive high line high press.

Yeah, that was bizarre. Lokonga had a rough start to his time with us sure enough, but he is much better this season and was our best midfielder on Sunday by a long shot. Note Wilson never criticises Lobotomy Clive, only the players around him.... it's borderline stupidity tbh....
Yup!

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

Kingralph wrote:
Wed Sep 07, 2022 12:19 pm
Well he is available now. :lol:

Kingralph

Post by Kingralph »

OneBardGooner wrote:
Wed Sep 07, 2022 2:02 pm
Kingralph wrote:
Wed Sep 07, 2022 12:19 pm
Well he is available now. :lol:
Which would explain me making the comment… :rubchin: