Mikel Arteta, success or failure? - Merged thread.

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.

Will he ?

Have a statue erected after 30 glorious years service?
9%
Be a success, pick up a few trophies and put the club back on an even keel?
27%
Be a moderate success, before handing over to a more high profile successor?
20%
Be an utter fucking disaster?
45%

Total votes: 101

cameron326

Re: Mikel Arteta, success or failure? - Merged thread.

Post by cameron326 »

5th with a goal difference of minus four. I’ll take it!

Perryashburtongroves

Post by Perryashburtongroves »

Can't afford to drop any more points against shit teams from now on in if we want to be taken seriously. We can write off the defeats to teams like City, Chavs and the murderers* but we have to beat teams like Manure, West Ham, scum, Everton from now on in and start really showing we mean business against shit like the barcodes, Southampton and whoever else is down there. This league is so utterly fucking toilet that you can finish third or fourth by not getting a single point off teams above you but managing to beat the dross in the bottom third twice and getting four points off the shit in the middle of the table.

marka123

Post by marka123 »

DB10GOONER wrote:
Sat Nov 20, 2021 7:23 pm
OUT. :censored: :cussing:
Absolutely out!! A club of our stature should no way be taking turdholings like this. GG would have done his f**king nut back in his day. When did it become acceptable to be rolled over like this. Unfortunately, this is the mentality that we developed in Wenger's latter years and why I think his legacy became so tainted :banghead:

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

DB10GOONER wrote:

:high5: :banghead:

falkirk goon

Post by falkirk goon »

OneBardGooner wrote:
Sat Nov 20, 2021 10:27 pm
DB10GOONER wrote:

:high5: :banghead:
I concur with the concurring here 8)

John F

Post by John F »

marka123 wrote:
Sat Nov 20, 2021 10:10 pm
DB10GOONER wrote:
Absolutely out!! A club of our stature should no way be taking turdholings like this. GG would have done his f**king nut back in his day. When did it become acceptable to be rolled over like this. Unfortunately, this is the mentality that we developed in Wenger's latter years and why I think his legacy became so tainted :banghead:
I was at Southampton when Shearer got his debut 3 against us.Because I knew Kevin Moore who played for Southampton I got into the players bar and was looking forward to seeing some of the Arsenal players.GG was so incensed with the teams performance he told the team to forget their post match drink and get straight on the coach ,which is typical of my luck.
There is no way he would indulge Auba like Arteta does.Arteta did have the courage to drop him but now appears to be too worried about doing it.Apart from a few brief spells he has been out of form for over a season now and should be benched..He doesn't close down ,can't hold the ball up,lost his speed and is missing chances.
He has been brilliant for us in the past and Malaria is a serious illness that some people say you never fully recover from but how long do you give him to find form again?.

Jayives

Post by Jayives »

John F wrote:
Sun Nov 21, 2021 7:50 am
marka123 wrote:
DB10GOONER wrote:
I was at Southampton when Shearer got his debut 3 against us.Because I knew Kevin Moore who played for Southampton I got into the players bar and was looking forward to seeing some of the Arsenal players.GG was so incensed with the teams performance he told the team to forget their post match drink and get straight on the coach ,which is typical of my luck.
There is no way he would indulge Auba like Arteta does.Arteta did have the courage to drop him but now appears to be too worried about doing it.Apart from a few brief spells he has been out of form for over a season now and should be benched..He doesn't close down ,can't hold the ball up,lost his speed and is missing chances.
He has been brilliant for us in the past and Malaria is a serious illness that some people say you never fully recover from but how long do you give him to find form again?.
Who are you going to replace him with if you drop him ? Nketiah and Martinelli ?

Let’s be honest it’s not realistic. Despite waning he’s probably our best option still. It’s completely obvious to all we will be signing a new striker next summer so it’s a temporary thing.

Jayives

Post by Jayives »

marka123 wrote:
DB10GOONER wrote:
Are you kidding me. We’ve been getting the occasional battering from teams like this ever since I was a kid,

Plenty of bad results under George too. Selective memory methinks

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

The fact is None of us are happy with the way tings are and if anyone is then they really are delusional, nor how they have been for quite some time; including the last 8 years of TOF, but there seems to be no realistic way out of it at the moment.

The owners have backed captain black and edu and rumours abound that they will spend even more as and when asked to.

Arsenal FC deserve a high profile and proven manager but they are all taken, so where do we look who do we try and persuade to come to a club still in the process of change after TOF left us utterly adrift from the other big clubs.

:suicide:

Jayives

Post by Jayives »

OneBardGooner wrote:
Sun Nov 21, 2021 10:08 am
The fact is None of us are happy with the way tings are and if anyone is then they really are delusional, nor how they have been for quite some time; including the last 8 years of TOF, but there seems to be no realistic way out of it at the moment.

The owners have backed captain black and edu and rumours abound that they will spend even more as and when asked to.

Arsenal FC deserve a high profile and proven manager but they are all taken, so where do we look who do we try and persuade to come to a club still in the process of change after TOF left us utterly adrift from the other big clubs.

:suicide:
It needs to be done in phases, a series of logical targets

Top 6 ..sign players . then top 4 .. then improve the squad more and then take stock of where we are.

Until we can sign players on large fees 80 odd million like havertz and Lukaku we won’t get back to where we were and we need to improve our squad generally first. It’s going to take a little time

John F

Post by John F »

Jayives wrote:
Sun Nov 21, 2021 9:57 am
John F wrote:
Sun Nov 21, 2021 7:50 am
marka123 wrote:
DB10GOONER wrote:
Who are you going to replace him with if you drop him ? Nketiah and Martinelli ?

Let’s be honest it’s not realistic. Despite waning he’s probably our best option still. It’s completely obvious to all we will be signing a new striker next summer so it’s a temporary thing.
Yes, I would because with the form he is on now he is not offering anything. Martinelli has not been given a fair run in the team to build up his confidence and would at least have more energy than Auba is showing. If Auba shows he can regain his form by coming on as a sub then of course I would put him back in but at the moment his overall play has been poor.

arrgee

Post by arrgee »

What has Captain Black improved?

Arguably the goalkeeper but he did sell the better keeper. Maybe bringing Saka and Smith Rowe into the team, but remember he dropped the former from the cup final team and Smith Rowe only played because Willian was out on Boxing Day last year. This summer’s signings Tomiyasu, White, Sambi, Odegaard and Tavares are all short of what was needed looking at the Liverpool performance. Ditto Partey. And Lacazette and PEA are looking less effective these days.

Only 3 players who started yesterday started against City, yet the same outcome. Arguably Arsenal did better at City as they only had 10 men for most of the game.

Captain Black has been fortunate that the Gollum saga at Old Toilet has kept the media attention elsewhere, but now scum and Man U have new managers and the top 3 look solid, the press will see him as the next manager to go.

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

arrgee wrote:
Sun Nov 21, 2021 10:46 am

Arguably the goalkeeper but he did sell the better keeper. Maybe bringing Saka and Smith Rowe into the team, but remember he dropped the former from the cup final team and Smith Rowe only played because Willian was out on Boxing Day last year. This summer’s signings Tomiyasu, White, Sambi, Odegaard and Tavares are all short of what was needed looking at the Liverpool performance. Ditto Partey. And Lacazette and PEA are looking less effective these days.

Only 3 players who started yesterday started against City, yet the same outcome. Arguably Arsenal did better at City as they only had 10 men for most of the game.

Captain Black has been fortunate that the Gollum saga at Old Toilet has kept the media attention elsewhere, but now scum and Man U have new managers and the top 3 look solid, the press will see him as the next manager to go.
But that doesn't mean he WILL Go! :?

Jayives

Post by Jayives »

arrgee wrote:

If you can’t see that we are more organised tactically then you can’t have been watching us much this season. Our defence is the best we have had in a while and seems to taking conceding personally. Our lack of experience seems to hurt us but that will come with time. That Liverpool side have been playing together for years and we have for only a quarter of a season.

Suggesting tommy and Ben white aren’t needed after one result is harsh ,... actually just plain stupid.

In an attempt to stop you boiling gallons of your own piss I’d suggest taking up a new hobby as our board won’t be sacking a manager who could finish 4th, 5th or sixth right now given our recent improvement.

Gunner Rob

Post by Gunner Rob »

arrgee wrote:

What are you on about ?

We are 5th.
Until yesterday we had the longest unbeaten run in the Premier League
Arteta was manager of the month for September

Few teams will get anything at Anfield this season. get a grip.