Mikel Arteta, success or failure? - Merged thread.

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.

Will he ?

Have a statue erected after 30 glorious years service?
9%
Be a success, pick up a few trophies and put the club back on an even keel?
27%
Be a moderate success, before handing over to a more high profile successor?
20%
Be an utter fucking disaster?
44%

Total votes: 100

augie

Re: Mikel Arteta, success or failure? - Merged thread.

Post by augie »

wilson2.0 wrote:
Mon May 23, 2022 10:26 am
This was the tee up season at a minimum. So Expectations need to be levied on Arteta next season. 4th at a minimum.

As for everyone else 'getting stronger'. This is actually false. I reckon Chelsea will be weaker next season. Ten Hag is not a messiah and has his work cut out. Spurs pipped us when we went the season without a striker and with an extremely raw squad. I think we have the most room for improvement with our array of young players who will naturally grow into better players. Plus I think we will spend again. We really only need two first team players and that is a striker and number 8. That being said we also need quantity and they need to be viable.

Arteta is still a raw manager prone to mistakes, but he has recruited well and must know this transfer window is make or break

Two and a half seasons as manager and is still allowed operate under the "raw" banner :roll: Fcuk off

Recruited well ? It's like you are choosing to ignore cedric, mari, sambi, tavares etc. Has ben white proven to be worth £50m ? No chance. Has odeargod proven himself to be quality in any big game ? Nowhere near. There was an initial ott reaction to the signings of those players plus tommy and ramsdale, and it seems like reality is now kicking in and fans are questioning all of the signings (I am still encouraged by tommy tho)

Your view that the other sides wont be stronger is funny too - ten hag isnt a messiah I agree, but he doesnt have to be a messiah to make them better. He has some good players there at his disposal and he will get serious financial backing this summer, so while he wont have them anywhere near challenging for the league, he will improve them enough to be a serious concern to us.
The chelski situation is a bit more up in the air, but let me add that it is very, very rare that a club will go out and spend serious money and regress, so I dont see them going backwards next season - the new owners will want to show spending intent this summer, but because I dont rate them that much anyway, I suspect that they wont be any closer to winning the league, but wont be in danger of slipping outside the top 4 either.
IF conte stays he will get heavily backed this summer or that house will be burnt to the ground - the longer he stays the less good football the scum will play, but the more street savvy they will become and they will be a huge threat to us IF CONTE STAYS

Blim

Post by Blim »

The guy needs to go, he has no mojo he will never be a top manager just a mediocre wannabe, we must be the only club in the world to reward failure.

mcdowell42

Post by mcdowell42 »

Mikel Arteta on Saliba: “He has to come back. He has the experience & environment to be competitive with us. William was not with us because he would not have had the playing time to gain experience. That’s all, there’s nothing else.” [@RMCsport] #afc

Arteta on Saliba: “We made the right decision [loaning him]. If he had stayed with us this year, with one Premier League match a week, with Ben White & Gabriel, he would not have had half the playing time he had with Marseille. For his growth, it would not have been good.” #afc

augie

Post by augie »

mcdowell42 wrote:
Tue May 24, 2022 2:00 pm
Mikel Arteta on Saliba: “He has to come back. He has the experience & environment to be competitive with us. William was not with us because he would not have had the playing time to gain experience. That’s all, there’s nothing else.” [@RMCsport] #afc

Arteta on Saliba: “We made the right decision [loaning him]. If he had stayed with us this year, with one Premier League match a week, with Ben White & Gabriel, he would not have had half the playing time he had with Marseille. For his growth, it would not have been good.” #afc

Never got to play even one competitive game from pep's cone boy, and already he was pegged as no better than white and gabriel :roll: Cant spend £50m on a brighton centre back and then have him as a back up, so twas far more prudent to throw saliba back to france than risk him upstaging ben white :evil:

Nos89

Post by Nos89 »

At this stage it would be foolish to sack the manager. The players clearly believe in him. Not only that he's learnt some crucial and harsh lessons that will see him develop. It seems he needs 3 seasons to get the team to CL level. His first season 19/20 was bedding in. 20/21 was a clearing out and remaining stable. 21/22 was the developing of the young team, and a top 4 finish was integral to the next stage, which we didn't make.
Looking back on our own history it takes 3 seasons to develop a title challenging/ winning team. The problem Arteta had is that he virtually had to start from scratch, without the experience of Wenger, Graham or even Emery. That was the huge risk and on that the risk, unfortunately, hasn't worked.
Next season will be a time for the managers and players to deliver. Changing the manager now would put the team in disarray, unless that manager is klopp, pep, ancellotti, Conte or Tuchel.

arrgee

Post by arrgee »

Nos89 wrote:
Wed May 25, 2022 2:12 pm
Next season will be a time for the managers and players to deliver. Changing the manager now would put the team in disarray, unless that manager is klopp, pep, ancellotti, Conte or Tuchel.
Agree.

Captain Black has to qualify for Champions League or as a bare minimum win a cup next season. Excepting Herbert Chapman (oddly), every manager who has won something has done it by their 4th season, and few last more than about 4 seasons without winning another trophy (except Wenger who got a free pass). Wenger and Graham did it their first full seasons. Mee in 1970 after starting in 1966 (gone by 1976), Neill in 1979 after starting in 1976 (gone in 1983). Allison won something as soon as he took charge, and Whittaker only took a couple of seasons post war to win the league.

Captain Black’s FA Cup win in his first season was with Wenger’s/Emery’s team but he needs to do it on his terms. A top 4 trophy will do next season, but the kudos from the FA Cup win will soon expire…

augie

Post by augie »

Nos89 wrote:
At this stage it would be foolish to sack the manager. The players clearly believe in him. Not only that he's learnt some crucial and harsh lessons that will see him develop. It seems he needs 3 seasons to get the team to CL level. His first season 19/20 was bedding in. 20/21 was a clearing out and remaining stable. 21/22 was the developing of the young team, and a top 4 finish was integral to the next stage, which we didn't make.
Looking back on our own history it takes 3 seasons to develop a title challenging/ winning team. The problem Arteta had is that he virtually had to start from scratch, without the experience of Wenger, Graham or even Emery. That was the huge risk and on that the risk, unfortunately, hasn't worked.

There will be fcuk all players left to be in disarray so maybe this is the right time to do it :roll:

Honestly buddy I have seen some weak arguments put up in defence of this clown, but yours is up there with the worst of them - the "players clearly believe in him" comments is puzzling as I see or hear fcuk all that suggests that is the case. I dont see a tight bond between players and manager in games - I dont see players working their nuts off for him week in and week out, and you dont even see any of those cringy examples of players celebrating a goal with the manager. You are basing your statement on the back of comments from the swiss turd who pep's cone boy has always defended, and of course odeargod who even ramsdale has stated is arteta's pet :oops:

The useless c.unt is going nowhere this summer and I know that, but the man lost 13 league games in both of the last two seasons, so that suggests fcuk all progress - the perceived progress is down to the collapse of rivals like manure, and we cant depend on that happening again next season

Nos89

Post by Nos89 »

augie wrote:
Wed May 25, 2022 7:28 pm
Nos89 wrote:

There will be fcuk all players left to be in disarray so maybe this is the right time to do it :roll:

Honestly buddy I have seen some weak arguments put up in defence of this clown, but yours is up there with the worst of them - the "players clearly believe in him" comments is puzzling as I see or hear fcuk all that suggests that is the case. I dont see a tight bond between players and manager in games - I dont see players working their nuts off for him week in and week out, and you dont even see any of those cringy examples of players celebrating a goal with the manager. You are basing your statement on the back of comments from the swiss turd who pep's cone boy has always defended, and of course odeargod who even ramsdale has stated is arteta's pet :oops:

The useless c.unt is going nowhere this summer and I know that, but the man lost 13 league games in both of the last two seasons, so that suggests fcuk all progress - the perceived progress is down to the collapse of rivals like manure, and we cant depend on that happening again next season
Basing my opinion by what I see on the pitch not what Xhaka says. Lost 13 games only drew 3 but won 22 games. Only 4 less than the invincible season. Klopps Liverpool lost 9 games last season but no one picks that out. Losing 13 is too many but how many of that was down to Arteta? Red cards and penalties conceded aren't down to the manager, that's down to the players. Why is it Liverpool haven't conceded a penalty for 48 league matches?
I do wonder if you even watch Arsenal matches anymore with some of your posts this season.

Nos89

Post by Nos89 »

arrgee wrote:
Wed May 25, 2022 7:27 pm
Nos89 wrote:
Agree.

Captain Black has to qualify for Champions League or as a bare minimum win a cup next season. Excepting Herbert Chapman (oddly), every manager who has won something has done it by their 4th season, and few last more than about 4 seasons without winning another trophy (except Wenger who got a free pass). Wenger and Graham did it their first full seasons. Mee in 1970 after starting in 1966 (gone by 1976), Neill in 1979 after starting in 1976 (gone in 1983). Allison won something as soon as he took charge, and Whittaker only took a couple of seasons post war to win the league.

Captain Black’s FA Cup win in his first season was with Wenger’s/Emery’s team but he needs to do it on his terms. A top 4 trophy will do next season, but the kudos from the FA Cup win will soon expire…
For me it already has expired. That cup win was more down to Aubameyang than anything Arteta did. Pundits saying he's taken this team as far as he can are hopelessly I'll informed. We're about 2/3 or the way back IMO. I remember GG team in 87/88 leading the league, unbeaten for about 20 games then just ran out of steam/ loss form towards the end of the season. Pressure got to them. To pull it round from bottom after 3 games, -9 hd, to 5th does show some ability.

augie

Post by augie »

Nos89 wrote:
Wed May 25, 2022 8:32 pm
augie wrote:
Nos89 wrote:

Basing my opinion by what I see on the pitch not what Xhaka says. Lost 13 games only drew 3 but won 22 games. Only 4 less than the invincible season. Klopps Liverpool lost 9 games last season but no one picks that out. Losing 13 is too many but how many of that was down to Arteta? Red cards and penalties conceded aren't down to the manager, that's down to the players. Why is it Liverpool haven't conceded a penalty for 48 league matches?
I do wonder if you even watch Arsenal matches anymore with some of your posts this season.

It is an obvious comeback I know but you do know that xhaka is pep's main man ? There is no way arteta can be blameless for the ones xhaka was involved in cos he continues to pick him despite the swiss turd being at fault for several previous penalties and red cards

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

I don't think it is any coincidence that the Teams that finished 1st ($hitty), Victims(*) 2nd, Chavs 3rd and The SCUM 4th ... ALL without exception and not-withstanding the name calling etc etc ALL of their managers are Experienced; and by most considered to be among the Elite of Football in Europe, whereas we have a Complete and Utter Novice whose only previous experience was to be one of the 'assistants' to Pep.

The world and his dog know that Pep's Go To People in the $hitty Set Up are: Rodolfo Borrell, Juan Lillo and Carlos Vicens.

So How The Fuck are we expected to Win The Prem, FA Cup, EFL Cup and anything in Europe with a Fuckin' NOVICE in charge!???? A Novice who has demonstrated his lack of knowledge and leadership skills, along with his inability to 'Man Manage' the team as a whole and individual players; especially young players, by selecting the likes of xhaka week in week out, whilst allowing Guendouzi to leave, keeping Saliba out on loan for 2 seasons and being unable to sort out the problems that surrounded Auba !?

He is now offering Nketiah a new and improved 5 year fucking deal!!!! I mean WTF!???

Meanwhile we've got a shitload of deadwood; Holding, Leno, Cedric, Balogun and Bellerin still on our books using up valuable money & resources that would be better spent elsewhere on 'Decent Players'.

As Augie rightly said on another thread. "We Are Royally Fucked".

gooner265

Post by gooner265 »

augie wrote:
Nos89 wrote:

Cant agree with the last part , 69 points would have got us third the last two seasons. its not turning losing situations into at least draws which has cost us ,lack of goals is our biggest failure , conversion of chances next year will push us on if we sign the right players.

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

gooner265 wrote:
Thu May 26, 2022 11:48 am
augie wrote:
Nos89 wrote:

Cant agree with the last part , 69 points would have got us third the last two seasons. its not turning losing situations into at least draws which has cost us ,lack of goals is our biggest failure , conversion of chances next year will push us on if we sign the right players.

But That is exactly it isn't it, Nketiah is being offered a New Contract and he is NOT Good Enough, not even as a Back-Up striker, he Never will be. To think we could have sold him for £20Million ! And all the gossip about Jesus from $hitty, he IS a Decent player, But he is not the kind of striker we need. - The club is becoming more of a laughing stock with each day that passes, the kind of players we need are either out of our price range because the owners refuse to splash the cash, also Arteta in his arrogance will not sign the kind of experienced & seasoned players we do need to show the youngsters how it's done. It isn't just Embarrassing, it IS Heartbreaking.

Arteta is NOT the person for the job. But it's too late for at least till next Xmas when we will be Nowhere and the owners who know nothing about Football will eventually have to fire him; with the usual pay-off (More money wasted).

We could have got Conte or Mancini or someone else with Experience at least till the club had regained momentum and were genuine contenders for Top 4 instead of being the window lickers we have become

Gunner Rob

Post by Gunner Rob »

Arteta
1st season 8th FAIL
2nd season 8th FAIL
3rd season 5th FAIL

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

The biggest bottlejob end to a season ever. Guy is an utter c.unt and thanks to him the interest I regained after Wenger knocked it out of me has been lost once more

Another season of nothing awaits playing beige football with a bunch of leaderless kids who wilt the minute the pressure is on