Mikel Arteta, success or failure? - Merged thread.

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.

Will he ?

Have a statue erected after 30 glorious years service?
9%
Be a success, pick up a few trophies and put the club back on an even keel?
27%
Be a moderate success, before handing over to a more high profile successor?
20%
Be an utter fucking disaster?
45%

Total votes: 101

g88ner

Re: Mikel Arteta, success or failure? - Merged thread.

Post by g88ner »

OneBardGooner wrote:
Mon Dec 06, 2021 5:01 pm
Thought not :? :cry:

Ho Hum!. :cry:

This should get the PC Name Police going :mrgreen:

Pseudonyms for Mikel Arteta (so far):

Martinez-lite
Peps Cone Boy
Captain Black
Farteta
Farty Pants

Am I missing any??? :rubchin: :rubchin: :rubchin:
Farteta and Farty Pants? What is happening to this place :banghead:

I’ve got a high threshold for being offended but my breaking point on a football forum is childish nicknames like Farty Pants and Farteta. Ban the mindless c*nts who use that language :cussing:

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

g88ner wrote:
Tue Dec 07, 2021 4:20 am
OneBardGooner wrote:

Martinez-lite
Peps Cone Boy
Captain Black
Farteta
Farty Pants

I’ve got a high threshold for being offended but my breaking point on a football forum is childish nicknames like Farty Pants and Farteta. Ban the mindless c*nts who use that language :cussing:
Really mate? It's just banter. We've had worse things said on here..... remember a couple of posters wishing Wenger would die of AIDS and cancer.... I'll take a bit of childish name calling over that! :wink:

Bob Bayliss

Post by Bob Bayliss »

StuartL wrote:
Tue Nov 30, 2021 8:56 pm
wibble wrote:
Tue Nov 30, 2021 6:30 pm
Nos89 wrote:
Mon Nov 29, 2021 3:40 pm
Although Arteta is beginning to win me over with the greater consistency of team selection and performance, I get the feeling that Van Bronckhorst will be our next manager to take us to the level of challenging for the league title.
Based on what? He could be a total flop at rangers
Still very, very, early to proclaim him as a possible future manager for us - he won a title at Feyenoord but only once in 3 or 4 seasons I think.

Think I’d prefer Vieira, if he can continue to do okay at Palace ( don’t expect him to win anything, just keep them up / lower mid table )

I think, other things being equal, I would prefer someone who has no previous association with the club. The relentless conveyor-belt of ex-Arsenal players as coaches, assistants, technical directors etc has been a big part of the problem over the past 15 years. With one notable exception - George Graham - our history teaches us that we do best when we appoint a completely new broom. The two best examples are Herbert Chapman (a former Spurs player!) and Arsene Wenger (the first decade, obviously!).

So I'm not saying I wouldn't consider Vieira if he continues with the early promise he is showing as a manager, but if you put him up against one of the top European coaches any time soon any love I had for him as a player would be a complete irrelevance.

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

Bob Bayliss wrote:
Tue Dec 07, 2021 9:36 am
StuartL wrote:
wibble wrote:
Nos89 wrote:
Although Arteta is beginning to win me over with the greater consistency of team selection and performance, I get the feeling that Van Bronckhorst will be our next manager to take us to the level of challenging for the league title.
Still very, very, early to proclaim him as a possible future manager for us - he won a title at Feyenoord but only once in 3 or 4 seasons I think.

Think I’d prefer Vieira, if he can continue to do okay at Palace ( don’t expect him to win anything, just keep them up / lower mid table )

I think, other things being equal, I would prefer someone who has no previous association with the club. The relentless conveyor-belt of ex-Arsenal players as coaches, assistants, technical directors etc has been a big part of the problem over the past 15 years. With one notable exception - George Graham - our history teaches us that we do best when we appoint a completely new broom. The two best examples are Herbert Chapman (a former Spurs player!) and Arsene Wenger (the first decade, obviously!).

So I'm not saying I wouldn't consider Vieira if he continues with the early promise he is showing as a manager, but if you put him up against one of the top European coaches any time soon any love I had for him as a player would be a complete irrelevance.
I agree. Martinez-Lite has shown what an ex-player can do as an inexperienced manager so we've gone down that route. Vieira is still a relatively inexperienced manager. I'd also rather we went out and tried to get an experienced manager who is not an ex player. And then maybe five or ten years down the road take a look at Paddy.

Would be a shame if a Legend like PV4 came back as an inexperienced manager and was a complete disaster and tainted his Arsenal legacy.

blair207

Post by blair207 »

I wonder what Arteta’s remit is for this season. Europa League Qualification? Will the owners give him the whole season? Things were looking not too bad a month ago. The Leicester and Spurs results now look like a false dawn which propelled us way above where we should be in the table. Who the next manager is depends on when the change comes. I can see Arteta getting close but narrowly failing to reach the Europa League again. I think that would mean he would be out, We aren’t going to attract an elite manager. If he has a good season Postecoglou from Celtic could be an option or PV4 if he maintains the progress at Palace.

Bob Bayliss

Post by Bob Bayliss »

DB10GOONER wrote:
Tue Dec 07, 2021 9:43 am
Bob Bayliss wrote:
Tue Dec 07, 2021 9:36 am
StuartL wrote:
wibble wrote:
Nos89 wrote:

I agree. Martinez-Lite has shown what an ex-player can do as an inexperienced manager so we've gone down that route. Vieira is still a relatively inexperienced manager. I'd also rather we went out and tried to get an experienced manager who is not an ex player. And then maybe five or ten years down the road take a look at Paddy.

Would be a shame if a Legend like PV4 came back as an inexperienced manager and was a complete disaster and tainted his Arsenal legacy.
Exhibit A - Fwank Lampard. Not sure he has completely trashed his legacy with the Chavs, but it was a crazy appointment which, to their credit, they acknowledged with their usual speed and ruthlessness.

Exhibit B - Steven Gerrard. It's fortunate for him and for Liverpool that there is no question of Klopp moving on anytime soon, as if they were currently struggling there would have been calls for him to be brought in. As it is he can serve a decent apprenticeship at Rangers and Villa, and then he may - just may - be a contender when the post does eventually become vacant.
Last edited by Bob Bayliss on Tue Dec 07, 2021 11:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

Bob Bayliss

Post by Bob Bayliss »

blair207 wrote:
Tue Dec 07, 2021 10:45 am
I wonder what Arteta’s remit is for this season. Europa League Qualification? Will the owners give him the whole season? Things were looking not too bad a month ago. The Leicester and Spurs results now look like a false dawn which propelled us way above where we should be in the table. Who the next manager is depends on when the change comes. I can see Arteta getting close but narrowly failing to reach the Europa League again. I think that would mean he would be out, We aren’t going to attract an elite manager. If he has a good season Postecoglou from Celtic could be an option or PV4 if he maintains the progress at Palace.
It depends how you define "elite". I'd say that we should be as capable as Tottenham as attracting, say, Antonio Conte, or are we less attractive as a club than even them and Daniel Levy's reputation?!

shu

Post by shu »

thats true we could have attracted Conte , its all about the £'s too isnt it and i am sure we would offer the right manager big bucks.

TeeCee

Post by TeeCee »

7 wins on 15 games, 5 of those against the bottom 6 and several of them were narrow wins/poor performances. We can easily finish bottom half this season!!

BobbyPires7

Post by BobbyPires7 »

TeeCee wrote:
Tue Dec 07, 2021 12:55 pm
7 wins on 15 games, 5 of those against the bottom 6 and several of them were narrow wins/poor performances. We can easily finish bottom half this season!!
That is quite stark.

Gunner Rob

Post by Gunner Rob »

the problem with the fixture list is that it is so lopsided these days.

it took 86 days to play the first PL 11 matches, but the period we are in now you have to play 10 PL matches in 43 days - half the time!
that's crazy but what it also means is that you need to peak for this period. we have continually failed because by this time of year we start to lose our way. In the past it has been easy to blame the european matches, but we dont have them this season - so what is the issue now ?

basically I have come to the conclusion that Arteta just is not up to the job - I have never been completely convinced by him, but thought that he might at least start to improve with time....but he really isn't, and I cant see that changing. To lose 2 matches from a winning position against opponents short on confidence should set alarm bells ringing.

any major club would sack Arteta at this stage - we of course are not a major club anymore, we just pretend that we are.

StuartL
Location: It’s a new dawn, a new day a new life, for me and I’m feeling good

Post by StuartL »

BobbyPires7 wrote:
Tue Dec 07, 2021 1:48 pm
TeeCee wrote:
Tue Dec 07, 2021 12:55 pm
That is quite stark.
Particularly when you throw in the - goal difference and the god awful football.

Perryashburtongroves

Post by Perryashburtongroves »

blair207 wrote:
Tue Dec 07, 2021 10:45 am
He's here until the end of the season I think. With that Europa Conference shit, there's still a chance of finishing in a 'European' place even if we're languishing down in about 8th or 9th in April and early May. I honestly think that the board and the owners have bought into the Arteta myth and are so desperate for it to work that they will keep redefining the terms of success in order for it to fit their stance. If they thought that not having any European football this season was acceptable at the end of last season, where do you go after that? Top half? Not getting relegated? Each season, we're getting worse and worse and standards and expectations from within the club are slipping lower and lower. It's all but accepted by everyone at the club that we have no chance of winning the league or actually even competing so they've set their sights on finishing 4th as some sort of dream goal and that's been the case for a decade or longer now but even that's becoming more and more unrealistic with every passing season. Arteta is not the right man for this job or this club at this time. He'll get until the end of the season because it won't be so dramatic that they'll need to make a change any earlier but we won't have any realistic chance of a top 4 place from now onwards and probably only a very limited chance of a top six place in all honesty. There's always the chance that we might just nick one of the two trophies open to us somewhere along the line but even then, there's still a lot of teams we need to avoid for that to happen. It is completely and utterly depressing but we've been heading this way for 15 years .

Redarmy

Post by Redarmy »

Nos89 wrote:
What is the next level? Wenger was asked.....embarrassing pause...... the next level up was the answer

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

g88ner wrote:
Tue Dec 07, 2021 4:20 am
OneBardGooner wrote:

Martinez-lite
Peps Cone Boy
Captain Black
Farteta
Farty Pants

How Very dare you....!!!!????? :D

Get a grip man... or do you need a pair of tweezers.....?

:lol: :lol: :lol:

FFS It's just a laugh... you know "haaa haaa haaa" you know as in "banter" and a way and means of expressing the damn Frustration of having to endure all this awfulness! If you can't see that well :? I dunno - that's your problem...I am not the only one doing the name calling btw...so maybe you need to go and 'police' all the threads and every time you see a name used that Offends you - challenge that person.

At least I'm not referring to him as; what was the term YOU used 'mindless *word censored*' - Now if I'd used that term I might understand how you might be "offended" and yet you seem to think it's perfectly okay to call others on here "mindless *word censored*"....

You claim you have a 'high threshold point for being offended'

Naaah! I don't think you do, you are just looking for an argument, to stamp your feet and fwow a ickle tantwum - at least that is how it looks...unless of course you have a "thing" for our manager...which would go some way to explaining your outburst. Mind you he is one hell of a good looking version of the male species... or so Rodders said. :D

btw: Augie came up with a good one, at least I think it was Augie :rubchin: or it may have been SteveO or any number of other posters - who all use different names for the manager of the club...- check out the blue Bin Dippers thread...there's quite a few on there.

ie:

Shit-for-brains. :lol: