Mikel Arteta, success or failure? - Merged thread.

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.

Will he ?

Have a statue erected after 30 glorious years service?
9%
Be a success, pick up a few trophies and put the club back on an even keel?
27%
Be a moderate success, before handing over to a more high profile successor?
20%
Be an utter fucking disaster?
44%

Total votes: 100

mcdowell42

Re: Mikel Arteta, success or failure? - Merged thread.

Post by mcdowell42 »

Augie ,Pulp fiction is on TV tonight at 9pm,if you've sky, I think it's on channel 321 or thereabouts

augie

Post by augie »

I was a guy that loved the movies and used to go frequently back in the day until two things changed that - (1) I started going out with a girl who isnt into movies (compounded that error by marrying her too :roll: ), and (2) going the self employed route in a business which is open 15 hours a day 7 days a week basically wrote off and chance of going to the cinema. I still love my 80s and 90s movies but I would never get a chance to sit down and watch a movie uninterupted anymore, so it is what it is

arrgee

Post by arrgee »

augie wrote:
Sat May 21, 2022 9:11 am
I was a guy that loved the movies and used to go frequently back in the day until two things changed that - (1) I started going out with a girl who isnt into movies (compounded that error by marrying her too :roll: ), and (2) going the self employed route in a business which is open 15 hours a day 7 days a week basically wrote off and chance of going to the cinema. I still love my 80s and 90s movies but I would never get a chance to sit down and watch a movie uninterupted anymore, so it is what it is
The 1990s were the pinnacle of movie making. Unlike today where every second movie is a super hero movie or a CGI infested sequel. The biggest upcoming movies are Top Gun sequel (from 1980s), Jurassic Park sequel (from 1990s), Toy Story origin (from 1990s) and Matrix sequel (from 1990s). It is as if nothing has happened since 2006…

skipper

Post by skipper »

Gunner Rob wrote:
Thu May 19, 2022 2:36 pm

what do you mean by real ambition ?
It's actually a very good question. I guess many fans will give you many different answers.

What I mean by "real ambition" in this particular case is for our club to realise that Saka is our greatest Hale End product this century and potentially the player who could be one of the best footballers in the World for years to come. If you want to challenge for the PL title and CL success, you need players like him as the poster boys for the club. same thing if you want to attract top players to the club. In order to do that CL qualification next season is MUST. For me that would be real ambition.

You can add Saliba situation to that scenario. Manager needs to be told that he has to make it work. It's his fckng job. We have one of the brightest young defenders in world football at our disposal. We cannot allow manager's petulance to affect us to such extent that we rely on Cedric in crucial games (or at all).

Unfortunately, the soundbites I'm gathering from the club leave a little room for optimism. There's already narrative being pushed that as long as there's progress next season it will be OK. That could (and will) mean absolutely anything. Lost 11 matches in 22/23? That's two less than season 21/22. Progress! Scored 59 goals. Progress! Conceded 43 goals. Progress!... etc etc....you see, in my eyes, that is a lack of real ambition. We're slowly but surely turning into Everton.

StuartL
Location: It’s a new dawn, a new day a new life, for me and I’m feeling good

Post by StuartL »

skipper wrote:
Sat May 21, 2022 2:20 pm
Gunner Rob wrote:
Thu May 19, 2022 2:36 pm

what do you mean by real ambition ?
It's actually a very good question. I guess many fans will give you many different answers.

What I mean by "real ambition" in this particular case is for our club to realise that Saka is our greatest Hale End product this century and potentially the player who could be one of the best footballers in the World for years to come. If you want to challenge for the PL title and CL success, you need players like him as the poster boys for the club. same thing if you want to attract top players to the club. In order to do that CL qualification next season is MUST. For me that would be real ambition.

You can add Saliba situation to that scenario. Manager needs to be told that he has to make it work. It's his fckng job. We have one of the brightest young defenders in world football at our disposal. We cannot allow manager's petulance to affect us to such extent that we rely on Cedric in crucial games (or at all).

Unfortunately, the soundbites I'm gathering from the club leave a little room for optimism. There's already narrative being pushed that as long as there's progress next season it will be OK. That could (and will) mean absolutely anything. Lost 11 matches in 22/23? That's two less than season 21/22. Progress! Scored 59 goals. Progress! Conceded 43 goals. Progress!... etc etc....you see, in my eyes, that is a lack of real ambition. We're slowly but surely turning into Everton.
I get that maybe not enough progress has been made but from 8th to 5th (and we really should have got 4th) is progress in my book.

Undeniably we are nowhere near the top 2.

Our team next season will be older, more experienced, with at least 2 or 3 very good additions to the first 11.

Chelsea may still be in disarray, with quite a few players walking away and need an overhaul.
tiny totts as ever relay almost completely on Kane and Son
Utd are a shambles at present and a new manager will probably take time to shape his team how he wants.

I am firmly of the opinion that 3rd or 4th next season should be ours, no question.

If not Arteta deserves the sack - he has outed those he didn’t want, bought plenty - some of which have worked, some of which are still undecided.

If Arteta doesn’t have the ability to get the best out of our attacking talent and fix the long term issue of midfield (xhaka) then he will never make it at top level as he wouldn’t get the backing and patience he has been shown anywhere else in my opinion.

Sean

Post by Sean »

Hi lads! Been a while :mrgreen:

Well that was another ultimately disappointing turd of a season. Arteta, figurative son of TOF, ballsed it up yet again after giving us hope that we might actually take third; but for that awful loss of nine points in April, three semi-surprising victories against our table rivals, then getting fucked by the scum and bottling it at Newcastle. It's the hope that kills you. The three year contract is another harbinger of utter misery. Time to start a countdown to June 2025 it seems; though we know the wankers upstairs will keep handing him new contracts. It's just as well that I only follow things via Arsenal podcasts and result alerts these days. It's just too painful; even if it does restrict me to one or two visits here per season.

Giving away Aubameyang on a free was a fucking disgrace, even if he was being wasted on the wing (he's scored 11 in 16 league games since leaving us). Going back to one up front with an already blunt attack is essentially going back to a shot-shy 4-6-0. Lacazette's goals have dried up and he's leaving anyway. Christ, it's like The Old Fraud never left. We desperately need to get a thirty goal a season striker this summer to stop us sinking back towards mid-table again, thanks to our trademark defensive and mental lapses and crap goal average. I have no hope in these jokers running the club, especially as we bottled the Virtual Trophy again (even if we would be punching bags in the knockout stages of The Be All and End All once again).

Oh well, at least we go straight into the Europa League group stage. Though I am disappointed that Arteta won't have to freeze his arse off on the Kazakh Steppe playing the likes of FC Astana, 600 miles from the Chinese border. Sadly, it seems that the Europa Conference League has taken away all the teams outside the top 16 UEFA nations. Bloated as the Europa League was, splitting off a 'second division' tournament ruins the interest of the (knock-out) qualifying rounds and prevents the likes of Dundalk or Qarabağ making it into the group stage, giving it some novelty. They should have brought back the Cup Winners' Cup! At least we could win that back in the day!

Now eighteen years since our unbeaten league title season and counting.

:barscarf: :barscarf: :barscarf:

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

Sean wrote:
Sun May 22, 2022 6:22 pm

Well that was another ultimately disappointing turd of a season. Arteta, figurative son of TOF, ballsed it up yet again after giving us hope that we might actually take third; but for that awful loss of nine points in April, three semi-surprising victories against our table rivals, then getting fucked by the scum and bottling it at Newcastle. It's the hope that kills you. The three year contract is another harbinger of utter misery. Time to start a countdown to June 2025 it seems; though we know the wankers upstairs will keep handing him new contracts. It's just as well that I only follow things via Arsenal podcasts and result alerts these days. It's just too painful; even if it does restrict me to one or two visits here per season.

Giving away Aubameyang on a free was a fucking disgrace, even if he was being wasted on the wing (he's scored 11 in 16 league games since leaving us). Going back to one up front with an already blunt attack is essentially going back to a shot-shy 4-6-0. Lacazette's goals have dried up and he's leaving anyway. Christ, it's like The Old Fraud never left. We desperately need to get a thirty goal a season striker this summer to stop us sinking back towards mid-table again, thanks to our trademark defensive and mental lapses and crap goal average. I have no hope in these jokers running the club, especially as we bottled the Virtual Trophy again (even if we would be punching bags in the knockout stages of The Be All and End All once again).

Oh well, at least we go straight into the Europa League group stage. Though I am disappointed that Arteta won't have to freeze his arse off on the Kazakh Steppe playing the likes of FC Astana, 600 miles from the Chinese border. Sadly, it seems that the Europa Conference League has taken away all the teams outside the top 16 UEFA nations. Bloated as the Europa League was, splitting off a 'second division' tournament ruins the interest of the (knock-out) qualifying rounds and prevents the likes of Dundalk or Qarabağ making it into the group stage, giving it some novelty. They should have brought back the Cup Winners' Cup! At least we could win that back in the day!

Now eighteen years since our unbeaten league title season and counting.

Sean old mate, great to hear from you. :barscarf: 8)

Shame its not on a happier occasion.

Gunner Rob

Post by Gunner Rob »

Sean wrote:
Sun May 22, 2022 6:22 pm

Now eighteen syears since our unbeaten league title season and counting.

Yes 18 years….we have never gone more than 18 years without winning the league since the 1930s, and we are currently further away than at any time in my lifetime.

wilson2.0

Post by wilson2.0 »

This was the tee up season at a minimum. So Expectations need to be levied on Arteta next season. 4th at a minimum.

As for everyone else 'getting stronger'. This is actually false. I reckon Chelsea will be weaker next season. Ten Hag is not a messiah and has his work cut out. Spurs pipped us when we went the season without a striker and with an extremely raw squad. I think we have the most room for improvement with our array of young players who will naturally grow into better players. Plus I think we will spend again. We really only need two first team players and that is a striker and number 8. That being said we also need quantity and they need to be viable.

Arteta is still a raw manager prone to mistakes, but he has recruited well and must know this transfer window is make or break

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

wilson2.0 wrote:
Mon May 23, 2022 10:26 am
This was the tee up season at a minimum. So Expectations need to be levied on Arteta next season. 4th at a minimum.

As for everyone else 'getting stronger'. This is actually false. I reckon Chelsea will be weaker next season. Ten Hag is not a messiah and has his work cut out. Spurs pipped us when we went the season without a striker and with an extremely raw squad. I think we have the most room for improvement with our array of young players who will naturally grow into better players. Plus I think we will spend again. We really only need two first team players and that is a striker and number 8. That being said we also need quantity and they need to be viable.

Arteta is still a raw manager prone to mistakes, but he has recruited well and must know this transfer window is make or break
Do you just reset yourself every day? :lol: :wink:

arrgee

Post by arrgee »

wilson2.0 wrote:

I think Arsenal need more than 2 first team players. Ramsdale, Tomiyasu (when fit), Tierney (when fit), Gabriel, Saka, Smith Rowe, Odegaard and Martinelli are the core that can take Arsenal onto the next level. Jury out on White and Partey (when fit). Elneny, Cedric and Holding are cover at best. Hopefully Tavares and Sambi improve. The rest are surplus to requirements and will either leave (Leno, Nketiah) or way past best before date (Xhakash!t [though he has never been any good in last 6 years], Lacazette). None of the players on loans would make much impact, and most likely will be sold or loaned again.

So that means purchasing 3 defenders, 2 midfielders and a striker. At least.

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

wilson2.0 wrote:

Are you Arteta's Agent?

GoonerMuzz

Post by GoonerMuzz »

By his and the club's standards that might be seen as a good season but by mine, no where near.

Harsh as it may seem to some this isn't about losing to CP, Brighton, Soton, Toon or the Scum but the season as a whole. I see nothing to indicate he learned anything from the terrible start to the lacklustre ending.

Do I expect him to review this season and adjust his way of doing things, not at all. Everything indicates to me anyway that it is always someone elses fault, refs, VAR, players. He not only needs to improve but also grow up :roll:

These things happen, we are not the only team to be on the end of shit decisions so man up and get on with it.....

goonersid

Post by goonersid »

Absolutely dreading next season, doesn't matter who we sign, with this incompetent novice in charge we are doomed to fail.
Therefore I'm just going to wait until he is finally relieved of his duties, 6 months, 12 months? who knows?

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

goonersid wrote:
Mon May 23, 2022 1:12 pm
Absolutely dreading next season, doesn't matter who we sign, with this incompetent novice in charge we are doomed to fail.
Therefore I'm just going to wait until he is finally relieved of his duties, 6 months, 12 months? who knows?
The only consolation for me is that we are at least back in a competition we can win, and one which varies up the complete boreathon of another PL season where we are out of contention by September.

Other than that expect to see the same paceless, shotless, goalless tip tap shite every time we go a goal down away from home, as 11 leaderless goons look all sorry for themselves. Expect another 4 or 5 blitzing at City and Liverpool, expect the same shameful surrender when we visit the swamp, expect the same old players to get the same old injuries and for their replacements to be absolutely shite. Worse still, expect to see the only bright sparks like Saka and Martinelli, start to attract the attention of other clubs and get prized away.