Mikel Arteta, success or failure? - Merged thread.

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.

Will he ?

Have a statue erected after 30 glorious years service?
9%
Be a success, pick up a few trophies and put the club back on an even keel?
27%
Be a moderate success, before handing over to a more high profile successor?
20%
Be an utter fucking disaster?
44%

Total votes: 100

StuartL
Location: It’s a new dawn, a new day a new life, for me and I’m feeling good

Re: Mikel Arteta, success or failure? - Merged thread.

Post by StuartL »

Retro Gunner wrote:
Sat Sep 10, 2022 5:58 pm
StuartL wrote:
Sat Sep 10, 2022 7:42 am
TomHelo14 wrote:
Sat Sep 10, 2022 7:11 am
What do people think if we say finish 5th again and no trophy? Reckon board gets rid or let him have more time?

Cos surely the timebombs ticking for him after backing him in the window and also allowing us fail for a few years now in getting where we should be.
Who, knows what the Kronke’s are thinking ?

Are we making progress ?

I think the majority of people would say yes. However, we still retain the ability to self destruct at any given moment, it appears.

Are we the finished package ?

Absolutely not, we still need at least 2 more additions to address our weaknesses ( Xhaka)

Are the players improving / learning under him ?

Yes, he got rid of those that didn’t buy into the “project” and the youngsters have high ceilings as to how far they can reach.

Is he the best manager to push us forward ?

He wasn’t at the time he was appointed, but 3 years in would changing things up again disrupt what we have ?
Jesus, Zinchenko, were happy to sign and be under his tutelage, despite no Champions League, which must mean something.

I think he is still very much learning his trade as manager, the youngsters will grow with him.

I reckon he has this season where progress is expected - Champions League qualification, through top 4 or win the Europa, if not the he starts next season (and I think he will still be in charge, regardless ) under pressure, real pressure, for the first time.

I think this is a very fair appraisal Stuart. As you know, I tend to be less positive than this, but it's a balanced review.
After years of being quite frankly disillusioned, thanks to rusting in Wenker, I am at last looking forward to matches, I feel more positive about the team, about what they could achieve, if they stay as a group, over the next 5 years, with the obvious upgrades.

At times over the last 10 years, I feel I’ve had my enthusiasm for the team I love, drained out of me, so It’s refreshing to have that back again.
This team look like a proper “team” who play / fight for each other and that is the Arsenal way - think back to 71, no superstar but great team spirit,

George’s team ( my era of football really ) he got rid of the likes of. Nicholas, Woodcock, Rix to forge a young team that again, worked for each other, again no real superstar in that team of 89 - 91, that won 2 league titles, Smith got 2 golden boots, but was so unassuming he hardly even got a sniff of playing for England.

Think back 3 years ago - preseason Ozil, Auba,Lacazette, Guendouzi all caught doing balloons 🎈 not the kind of dedication to their team / sport that you would want
https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/7919695/ ... guendouzi/

So, yes, I’m happy where we currently sit, hope and expect us now to push on further in the next couple of years, which will need the Kronke’s support still in transfers but after the last 2 seasons it would be money down the drain if they suddenly stopped now.

:barscarf: :barscarf:

Despite my current optimism, I’m still a realist in that we have an awful long way to catch up with City, particularly with Haarland up top, but Liverpool don’t look as good so far, and we are as good or better that the Mancs, scum and a turmoiled Chelsea.

Nos 89, you can have your rose tinted glasses back now my friend :wink:

Nos89

Post by Nos89 »

StuartL wrote:
Sun Sep 11, 2022 8:33 am
Retro Gunner wrote:
Sat Sep 10, 2022 5:58 pm
StuartL wrote:
Sat Sep 10, 2022 7:42 am
TomHelo14 wrote:
Sat Sep 10, 2022 7:11 am
What do people think if we say finish 5th again and no trophy? Reckon board gets rid or let him have more time?

Cos surely the timebombs ticking for him after backing him in the window and also allowing us fail for a few years now in getting where we should be.
Who, knows what the Kronke’s are thinking ?

Are we making progress ?

I think the majority of people would say yes. However, we still retain the ability to self destruct at any given moment, it appears.

Are we the finished package ?

Absolutely not, we still need at least 2 more additions to address our weaknesses ( Xhaka)

Are the players improving / learning under him ?

Yes, he got rid of those that didn’t buy into the “project” and the youngsters have high ceilings as to how far they can reach.

Is he the best manager to push us forward ?

He wasn’t at the time he was appointed, but 3 years in would changing things up again disrupt what we have ?
Jesus, Zinchenko, were happy to sign and be under his tutelage, despite no Champions League, which must mean something.

I think he is still very much learning his trade as manager, the youngsters will grow with him.

I reckon he has this season where progress is expected - Champions League qualification, through top 4 or win the Europa, if not the he starts next season (and I think he will still be in charge, regardless ) under pressure, real pressure, for the first time.

I think this is a very fair appraisal Stuart. As you know, I tend to be less positive than this, but it's a balanced review.
After years of being quite frankly disillusioned, thanks to rusting in Wenker, I am at last looking forward to matches, I feel more positive about the team, about what they could achieve, if they stay as a group, over the next 5 years, with the obvious upgrades.

At times over the last 10 years, I feel I’ve had my enthusiasm for the team I love, drained out of me, so It’s refreshing to have that back again.
This team look like a proper “team” who play / fight for each other and that is the Arsenal way - think back to 71, no superstar but great team spirit,

George’s team ( my era of football really ) he got rid of the likes of. Nicholas, Woodcock, Rix to forge a young team that again, worked for each other, again no real superstar in that team of 89 - 91, that won 2 league titles, Smith got 2 golden boots, but was so unassuming he hardly even got a sniff of playing for England.

Think back 3 years ago - preseason Ozil, Auba,Lacazette, Guendouzi all caught doing balloons 🎈 not the kind of dedication to their team / sport that you would want
https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/7919695/ ... guendouzi/

So, yes, I’m happy where we currently sit, hope and expect us now to push on further in the next couple of years, which will need the Kronke’s support still in transfers but after the last 2 seasons it would be money down the drain if they suddenly stopped now.

:barscarf: :barscarf:

Despite my current optimism, I’m still a realist in that we have an awful long way to catch up with City, particularly with Haarland up top, but Liverpool don’t look as good so far, and we are as good or better that the Mancs, scum and a turmoiled Chelsea.

Nos 89, you can have your rose tinted glasses back now my friend :wink:
Hahaha thank you. Life looks good through those glasses.

Nos89

Post by Nos89 »

Arteta been awarded PL manager of the month for August. You all know what that means, we're fucked for the Brentford game ☹️
Better change my Super 6 prediction.

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

I think he deserved it. We were far from brilliant in some of those games and he still makes novice level mistakes as a manager and he completely fucked us in the manure game, but 5 wins out of 5 in August was good work. Unfortunately I think that's what we will get with him. A run of beating 4 or 5 shit teams and then we get put away by the first good team or more experienced manager we meet. :|

Nos89

Post by Nos89 »

Delighted to be wrong about the result at Brentford after Arteta received manager of the month. I think the curse is broken. Thank whichever non-entity you believe in.

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

Nos89 wrote:
Tue Sep 20, 2022 4:25 pm
Delighted to be wrong about the result at Brentford after Arteta received manager of the month. I think the curse is broken. Thank whichever non-entity you believe in.
:rubchin:

How can one thank that which doesn't exist?

In that a non-entity is something that does not exist or exists only in the imagination. :D :wink:

StuartL
Location: It’s a new dawn, a new day a new life, for me and I’m feeling good

Post by StuartL »

OneBardGooner wrote:
Tue Sep 20, 2022 6:50 pm
Nos89 wrote:

In that a non-entity is something that does not exist or exists only in the imagination. :D :wink:
Wow, that has blown my mind, you are a true inspiration.

Follow One bard, he is the messiah

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

StuartL wrote:
Tue Sep 20, 2022 7:24 pm
OneBardGooner wrote:
Tue Sep 20, 2022 6:50 pm
Nos89 wrote:

Wow, that has blown my mind, you are a true inspiration.

Follow One bard, he is the messiah
:lol: :lol: :lol:

My Mum would say different!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=plZRe1kPWZw

:D :wink:

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

The team are playing the best football of his reign by far, and to be honest it has been a pleasure to watch. The crucial run of games started well yesterday.

I think we said at the end of last season though, that we expect the team to go on good runs of form, winning a few in a row and hopefully going very deep in the EL

Its all about progress steps - we need different results at the swamp, Anfield and the Etihad to the ones we've been accustomed to in recent seasons.

So far, we only flunked it at OT - the substitutions that day were dreadful, but nobody's perfect and they certainly weren't as baffling as Conte's yesterday

Encouraging signs for sure - still worried about the lack of natural leaders when we hit a bad patch, but hope to be proven wrong

A pivotal season for sure after such a promising start

nut flush gooner

Post by nut flush gooner »

SteveO 35 wrote:
Sun Oct 02, 2022 10:33 am
The team are playing the best football of his reign by far, and to be honest it has been a pleasure to watch. The crucial run of games started well yesterday.

I think we said at the end of last season though, that we expect the team to go on good runs of form, winning a few in a row and hopefully going very deep in the EL

Its all about progress steps - we need different results at the swamp, Anfield and the Etihad to the ones we've been accustomed to in recent seasons.

So far, we only flunked it at OT - the substitutions that day were dreadful, but nobody's perfect and they certainly weren't as baffling as Conte's yesterday

Encouraging signs for sure - still worried about the lack of natural leaders when we hit a bad patch, but hope to be proven wrong

A pivotal season for sure after such a promising start
The term I would use is an upward slope. As you say Steve there will be bumps in the road, but this side is now starting to get some attention. Personally, I don't care what the pundits say but anyone who is going to games this season will feel a sense of belief from the home fans. The fanbase is at one long may that continue.

The atmosphere is the best since we left the Highbury. I lost count of the number of man hugs I had after the goals yesterday a lot with complete strangers. Never seen the North Bank go that ballistic, not since my early days in the 80s.

nut flush gooner

Post by nut flush gooner »

Bumpety bump. Two games into what was going to be a horrific fixture line up before the City game was postponed again Arteta passes with flying colours.

I wonder how long it will be before the people who doubted change their minds. Today was a massive statement, and I am not buying this was a poor Pool side, they should really be much further up the league and I have no doubts they will be with time.

IW8Goalmachine

Post by IW8Goalmachine »

nut flush gooner wrote:
Sun Oct 09, 2022 8:28 pm
Bumpety bump. Two games into what was going to be a horrific fixture line up before the City game was postponed again Arteta passes with flying colours.

I wonder how long it will be before the people who doubted change their minds. Today was a massive statement, and I am not buying this was a poor Pool side, they should really be much further up the league and I have no doubts they will be with time.
I am one of those doubters but with results like last week and today I am starting to see him in a different light

Nos89

Post by Nos89 »

Well done Arteta on getting his tactics spot on in the last two league games. He's got a long way to go but he's becoming a top quality manager. His tactics nullified both Salah and TAA today, and Son and Kane last week.
We are in a title race and currently keeping the media anointed "best team in the world" in second place, and just beaten "the best premier League team ever".
We are currently the team to catch, and we will be caught at some point.
There's no denying it, but Arteta has done an awful lot to get us a team that's being respected, again.

A11M11

Post by A11M11 »

He has his faults but it's undeniable that he plays every pass , every kick and every moment on the touchline. You can't fault his attitude.

wilson2.0

Post by wilson2.0 »

ive seen City fans mention him as a long term Pep replacement. So we really need to start appreciating him for what he is - one of the top up and coming managers in world football. He knows what he is doing and doesnt tolerate and drifters. He is going to be an elite manager - one of the big names.

I back the process all the way. I also think he has a burning ambition and isnt interested in being Man City's bridesmaids. The pundits are trying to put us in a box and say 2nd the best we can hope for. But I honestly think Arteta is going to set demands and expectations indicative of a title winning side.

Its still a long shot, the bookies have us second favorites at about 8 to 1. But I reckon we should be targeting 85-90 points.