Mikel Arteta, success or failure? - Merged thread.

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.

Will he ?

Have a statue erected after 30 glorious years service?
9%
Be a success, pick up a few trophies and put the club back on an even keel?
27%
Be a moderate success, before handing over to a more high profile successor?
20%
Be an utter fucking disaster?
45%

Total votes: 101

fivetothree

Re: Mikel Arteta, success or failure? - Merged thread.

Post by fivetothree »

Retro Gunner wrote:
Wed May 17, 2023 4:20 pm
fivetothree wrote:
Wed May 17, 2023 3:07 pm
OneBardGooner wrote:
Wed May 17, 2023 2:15 pm
I think he would be good as a (roaming) No10, as you say he causes panic in the opposition because he has 'skills', but we so desperately Need a Proper Striker.

I thought / hoped we might go for Ivan Toney last Summer, mind you that was before the Betting thing hit the news.

Not sure who we can go in for, but priorities have to be:

Striker

Left Back

Midfield Defender/Marshall

C.Back

And another Left Winger

Not sure about Kiwior after his antics against Brighton :? I think he is like ElNeny a bit part squad player but not a proper replacement for anyone.
Surely we need a right winger rather than a left winger? Martinelli and Trossard are both fine on the left, but Nelson is too much of a drop when Saka isn't playing. If we had had a solid RW option I think Saka would have been benched for a bit recently.

In fairness, before the Brighton game Kiwior had looked good. He is young and didn't cost a lot so worth having. We definitely need a quality CB though.

Who should go? For me:-

Holding
Cedric
Pepe
Mari
Tierney (if we get a good offer)
ESR (same)
Partey or Xhaka
Balagun (£30m+ we should accept)
AMN
Nelson

Thoughts?

Blimey, you look at that list and realise there are players you'd forgotten all about that are still on the books.

I'd be gutted to see ESR go, as I think he's a serious talent and 18 months ago looked our brightest prospect, but I don't think he figures too highly in Arteta's plans, so I'd encourage him to go and build a career elsewhere.

I would also be disappointed to see Tierney go, as he's a proper defender and I'd play him at left back and move Zinchenko (who most definitely is NOT a proper defender) into midfield. Some on here, like Clummo, believe...probably quite rightly...that Arteta wants that fluid, roaming full back role, but we don't have the quality of players to make that work. We might score goals, but we'll concede plenty. Arteta needs to get a proper grip on the centre midfield and recruit some top quality in there if he thinks he can emulate Pep. With Partey, Xhaka, Vieira, Albert and Elneny, none of whom would get beyond sweeping the dressing room at City, as our midfield anchors, we need proper defensive fullbacks.

I'd agree to waving all the rest goodbye without a second thought.
I like Tierney too and would definitely keep him, but apparently he wants out due to lack of game time so I totally understand it. He is clearly 2nd choice, so if we get a good offer (£25m+) I can see him leaving. I don't like the idea of him going to Newcastle but looks likely.

ESR...I love him too and he think he has a ton of talent, but for whatever reason Arteta doesn't fancy him. Perhaps he is not the same player after the injuries. If Villa come in for him again and offer good money I think we will let him go.

fivetothree

Post by fivetothree »

SteveO 35 wrote:
Fri May 19, 2023 8:54 am
The most positive thing to come out of his press conference this morning was the full on honesty that this squad isn't equipped for the dual challenge of PL and CL next season. Thought he might try and bluff that, but fair play to the bloke he said "no, because we weren't ready to do that in the Europa League"

I sincerely hope this means that the reality or needing a minimum of 5 players has been a proper discussion and that we get business done early doors.

Much as I'll be partying for weeks when the dopey Swiss turd gets flushed down the bog, that leaves Partey (flaky), Jorginho (good leader and good for 20 odd games), Elneny (honest and industrious but severely limited) and Lokonga (never in a month of Sundays)

No proper right back - unless you don't mind one who can't tackle, pass or cross and is worth a goal start to the opposition.

Non scoring Jesus, and a cluster ot CBs that fold quicker than a deck chair when Saliba isn't there

Major major work to be done. Glad he recognises it
White and Tomi aren't good enough at RB?

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

fivetothree wrote:
Fri May 19, 2023 9:46 am
SteveO 35 wrote:
The most positive thing to come out of his press conference this morning was the full on honesty that this squad isn't equipped for the dual challenge of PL and CL next season. Thought he might try and bluff that, but fair play to the bloke he said "no, because we weren't ready to do that in the Europa League"

I sincerely hope this means that the reality or needing a minimum of 5 players has been a proper discussion and that we get business done early doors.

Much as I'll be partying for weeks when the dopey Swiss turd gets flushed down the bog, that leaves Partey (flaky), Jorginho (good leader and good for 20 odd games), Elneny (honest and industrious but severely limited) and Lokonga (never in a month of Sundays)

No proper right back - unless you don't mind one who can't tackle, pass or cross and is worth a goal start to the opposition.

Non scoring Jesus, and a cluster ot CBs that fold quicker than a deck chair when Saliba isn't there

Tomiaysu is absolutely abysmal - half decent before his first injury, absolutely woeful ever since. White is a decent option to have covering but let's be honest, we didn't buy him to be an out and out right back. He's done a very commendable job there filling in

You think that pair are what we need for a 50+ game season to compete for PL and CL?

fivetothree

Post by fivetothree »

SteveO 35 wrote:
Fri May 19, 2023 10:04 am
fivetothree wrote:
SteveO 35 wrote:

Tomiaysu is absolutely abysmal - half decent before his first injury, absolutely woeful ever since. White is a decent option to have covering but let's be honest, we didn't buy him to be an out and out right back. He's done a very commendable job there filling in

You think that pair are what we need for a 50+ game season to compete for PL and CL?
I think there are other parts of the team that need work first.

Centre mid (x2), striker, centre back, left back when KT goes, right winger.

I think both players are probably good enough, but I wouldn't be against bringing a RB in and moving White to CB if that works better.

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

fivetothree wrote:
Fri May 19, 2023 10:44 am
SteveO 35 wrote:
Fri May 19, 2023 10:04 am
fivetothree wrote:
SteveO 35 wrote:

I think there are other parts of the team that need work first.

Centre mid (x2), striker, centre back, left back when KT goes, right winger.

I think both players are probably good enough, but I wouldn't be against bringing a RB in and moving White to CB if that works better.
You're right on all of those positions - just shows the extent of the work that needs doing in the Summer. If we feel we couldn't cope with the demands of the Europa League (with the greatest respect to PSV, Bodo, Zurich and Sporting), then God only knows how the same group will cope with being third seeds in a CL group playing a minimum of six very competitive games

Sean

Post by Sean »

Considering that I never wanted him in the job in the first place, wanted him gone since he took us to 15th place in December 2020 and that he ballsed up the VT to the scum (and a possible third place) last season; by comparison, Arteta has had a much better season. On paper, anyway.

It's just frustrating as fuck to have led the league for so long and failed to win it. Our losing run will go to 20 years now, which was unthinkable after the Invincibles season. The Cashburton bowl is still waiting for a league title christening for 17 years and counting. It feels like we'll never get rid of that 'leetle beet handbrake.'

Our admittedly predictable collapse - dropping 10 points out of 21 - is no less disheartening. As others have said, we still have the old familiar frailties and make the same costly mistakes. Considering the establishment-accepted corruption of the pimped oil club and it's unlimited resources buying them a seventh PL title, we simply cannot afford to make mistakes like that, seeing as over 90 points is required to win titles these days.

Of course, we were on course to make 90 points this season, had Brighton not beaten us. Of course, going on to lose to a Forest team that barely survived relegation keeps as the banter club. Cowardice and underachievement since 2008.

I just hope that Arteta learns from his mistakes next season (lol), but sadly he seems to have the characteristics of post-2008 TOF. He's bombed out some good players, while still persisting with undisciplined bonehead liabilities like Xhaka. Refuses to make changes early on when it's going wrong. Plays players out of position. Sheer stubbornness. It's like TOF never left.

I hope there's no hang-over that ruins next season and we make another title challenge (lol). Just minimise the errors. Strengthen the squad. Add more goals to the side, while cutting out defensive lapses. Stop dropping points you should win, FFS! Of course, if he fucks up next season I will want him replaced (again); though there is no faith in our tin-pot board to do so. Who could we get that would do a good job? It seems they would always prefer to hire rookies over proven title-winners.

I am also sick of all the mindless comparisons to Guardiola just because they're old friends and worked together for a while. Had Arteta won the title this season, it would only start to legitimize him as a good manager who is his own person. After three and a half years, he's still 'Guardiola's mate' and in his shadow. Admittedly, Guardiola's title and cup haul is so large that any manager would be lucky to replicate that in the future. Arteta has taken one FA Cup; winning the title this season should have been his taking the next step, if he is to have any chance of building a winning dynasty at the club. Instead, it just seems like we will remain as the perennial underachievers.

It's petty, but it boils my piss that he doesn't wear a suit on matchdays and doesn't permanently drop the unshaven Casual Friday shite. You're managing The Arsenal, son.

John F

Post by John F »

Sean wrote:
Sat May 20, 2023 7:13 pm
Considering that I never wanted him in the job in the first place, wanted him gone since he took us to 15th place in December 2020 and that he ballsed up the VT to the scum (and a possible third place) last season; by comparison, Arteta has had a much better season. On paper, anyway.

It's just frustrating as fuck to have led the league for so long and failed to win it. Our losing run will go to 20 years now, which was unthinkable after the Invincibles season. The Cashburton bowl is still waiting for a league title christening for 17 years and counting. It feels like we'll never get rid of that 'leetle beet handbrake.'

Our admittedly predictable collapse - dropping 10 points out of 21 - is no less disheartening. As others have said, we still have the old familiar frailties and make the same costly mistakes. Considering the establishment-accepted corruption of the pimped oil club and it's unlimited resources buying them a seventh PL title, we simply cannot afford to make mistakes like that, seeing as over 90 points is required to win titles these days.

Of course, we were on course to make 90 points this season, had Brighton not beaten us. Of course, going on to lose to a Forest team that barely survived relegation keeps as the banter club. Cowardice and underachievement since 2008.

I just hope that Arteta learns from his mistakes next season (lol), but sadly he seems to have the characteristics of post-2008 TOF. He's bombed out some good players, while still persisting with undisciplined bonehead liabilities like Xhaka. Refuses to make changes early on when it's going wrong. Plays players out of position. Sheer stubbornness. It's like TOF never left.

I hope there's no hang-over that ruins next season and we make another title challenge (lol). Just minimise the errors. Strengthen the squad. Add more goals to the side, while cutting out defensive lapses. Stop dropping points you should win, FFS! Of course, if he fucks up next season I will want him replaced (again); though there is no faith in our tin-pot board to do so. Who could we get that would do a good job? It seems they would always prefer to hire rookies over proven title-winners.

I am also sick of all the mindless comparisons to Guardiola just because they're old friends and worked together for a while. Had Arteta won the title this season, it would only start to legitimize him as a good manager who is his own person. After three and a half years, he's still 'Guardiola's mate' and in his shadow. Admittedly, Guardiola's title and cup haul is so large that any manager would be lucky to replicate that in the future. Arteta has taken one FA Cup; winning the title this season should have been his taking the next step, if he is to have any chance of building a winning dynasty at the club. Instead, it just seems like we will remain as the perennial underachievers.

It's petty, but it boils my piss that he doesn't wear a suit on matchdays and doesn't permanently drop the unshaven Casual Friday shite. You're managing The Arsenal, son.
He could start by installing a winners mentality, not one that acts like an underdog and over-celebrates wins. A simple appreciation not this prolonged embarrassing parade in front of the fans. He needs to tell them to stop being fucking muppets you have won a game, not a trophy, and save it for when you do.

Retro Gunner

Post by Retro Gunner »

Sean wrote:
Sat May 20, 2023 7:13 pm

Nail on the head with all that Sean. Good to have you back mate.

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

Calling it today....done and dusted. Baby Wenger

I wanted a winner

I got a wanker

Arsenal Till I Die

Post by Arsenal Till I Die »

I’d still sack him, to be honest.

His tactical ineptitude, and just outright inability to look beyond his own arrogance and stubbornness to address glaringly obvious issues, have been an ongoing issue since his first year. It won’t change. HE won’t change. He is just as responsible for us shitting the bed, just as much as most of the team.

We won’t get any better next year, either. This is it. We’re fucked.

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

Arsenal Till I Die wrote:
Sun May 21, 2023 1:23 am

His tactical ineptitude, and just outright inability to look beyond his own arrogance and stubbornness to address glaringly obvious issues, have been an ongoing issue since his first year. It won’t change. HE won’t change. He is just as responsible for us shitting the bed, just as much as most of the team.

100 per cent

After today I'm absolutely done. Hasn't signed a single leadership figure in 3 and a half years and its clear this is Baby Wenger we are watching.

Some on here called Emery spineless and clueless....well I tell you this. This collapse is off the scale compared to anything I saw under him or Wenger. I dont trust him to fix it . 400m invested and we still can't defend

Gutless cowards

ARTETA OUT NOW

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

100 per cent

After today I'm absolutely done. Hasn't signed a single leadership figure in 3 and a half years and its clear this is Baby Wenger we are watching.

Some on here called Emery spineless and clueless....well I tell you this. This collapse is off the scale compared to anything I saw under him or Wenger. I dont trust him to fix it . 400m invested and we still can't defend

Gutless cowards

ARTETA OUT NOW

IW8Goalmachine

Post by IW8Goalmachine »

SteveO 35 wrote:
Sun May 21, 2023 8:33 am

100 per cent

Gutless cowards

ARTETA OUT NOW
I know it's an old argument now But Emery wasn't given enough time or money.

Look what he has done to villa.

If he was given more time our three starlets Martinelli, ESR and Saka would be absolutely flying it by being better managed.

It is looking like we have a younger Wenger on our hands.

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

Calendar Year Champions 2013

Most Days Top Champions 2023

Arsene would be proud

falkirk goon

Post by falkirk goon »

I voted that he would be a fucking disaster at the start of the thread and that's how it's turning out :cry:
Agree with loads of the points above. So true JohnF about the unshaven casual shite he tries to pull off like his baldy master :oops: utter cock..It's The Arsenal dugout youre in son,not out having a couple of beers with pals on a Friday evening :oops:
Fluked cup win and 8th
8th and fucked out by Unai
5th with brown shorts on at the end
2nd with brown shorts on at the end

This is his record..and he's been given a fucking fortune to spend unlike Emery (who wore a suit and acted with class)