Mikel Arteta, success or failure? - Merged thread.

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.

Will he ?

Have a statue erected after 30 glorious years service?
9%
Be a success, pick up a few trophies and put the club back on an even keel?
27%
Be a moderate success, before handing over to a more high profile successor?
20%
Be an utter fucking disaster?
45%

Total votes: 101

fivetothree

Re: Mikel Arteta, success or failure? - Merged thread.

Post by fivetothree »

DB10GOONER wrote:
Mon May 22, 2023 9:08 am
fivetothree wrote:
Mon May 22, 2023 6:15 am
How can people realistically expect us to challenge for the league against a nation state?

Just look at the difference in budgets...the only way we will consistently challenge for the title is by selling the club to a nation state. Sad but true.

Some of the opinions here FFS. . Liverpool were flawless for about 5 years and still only won one title!
"Some of the opinions here FFS"?

Yep some of them are a tad ridiculous. Like this one: "Liverpool were flawless for about 5 years and still only won one title!"

They weren't "flawless" then, were they? :roll: :lol:
Pretty much they were yeah.

2018/19 - 97 points (2nd)
2019/20 - 99 points (champions)
2020/21 - 69 (ok they dropped off here)
21/22 - 94 points

So on two occasions they got over 90 points and STILL didn't win the title! Even with our collapse, we would have won the league in 97, 98 & 99 with our points total with one game to go.

This is also our highest point total since 2008. I ask, if someone had said 2nd at the start of the season people would have taken it. I had us down for 5th or 6th. It has been a really disappointing end, but it is an utter joke to see people here burying Arteta and bigging up Emery :banghead:

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

fivetothree wrote:
Mon May 22, 2023 9:53 am
DB10GOONER wrote:
fivetothree wrote:
How can people realistically expect us to challenge for the league against a nation state?

Just look at the difference in budgets...the only way we will consistently challenge for the title is by selling the club to a nation state. Sad but true.

Some of the opinions here FFS. . Liverpool were flawless for about 5 years and still only won one title!

Yep some of them are a tad ridiculous. Like this one: "Liverpool were flawless for about 5 years and still only won one title!"

21/22 - 94 points

So on two occasions they got over 90 points and STILL didn't win the title! Even with our collapse, we would have won the league in 97, 98 & 99 with our points total with one game to go.

This is also our highest point total since 2008. I ask, if someone had said 2nd at the start of the season people would have taken it. I had us down for 5th or 6th. It has been a really disappointing end, but it is an utter joke to see people here burying Arteta and bigging up Emery :banghead:
People are entitled to their opinions, that's not up to you or me to dictate, but you clearly have a far looser definition of "flawless" than most. :lol:

"Flawless" is winning the league. Anything else is losing.

augie

Post by augie »

fivetothree wrote:
Mon May 22, 2023 8:43 am
augie wrote:
Mon May 22, 2023 7:57 am
fivetothree wrote:

Again with the money defence - are forest, southampton and the shammers owned by wealthy nations too ?
Yeah they were poor performances, no doubt. Do you not think part of that is the fact that our squad is not deep enough compared with Citys?

Those poor performances were not against city - how about you compare our squad depth with those teams that took points off us

fivetothree

Post by fivetothree »

augie wrote:
Mon May 22, 2023 11:36 am
fivetothree wrote:
augie wrote:
fivetothree wrote:

Again with the money defence - are forest, southampton and the shammers owned by wealthy nations too ?
Yeah they were poor performances, no doubt. Do you not think part of that is the fact that our squad is not deep enough compared with Citys?

Those poor performances were not against city - how about you compare our squad depth with those teams that took points off us
Saka has been out of form for months, but he has played ever game. Why? Because we don't have the squad that City do. Saliba gets injured, Holding comes in. Martinelli has barely been rested, same with Ode.

Now look at City's bench and squad compared to ours. If Foden is out of form Mahrez or Grealish can come in. They can let Cancelo go and still have loads of good defensive options. Thats why we dropped points in those games, too many overplayed players who were out of form.

fivetothree

Post by fivetothree »

DB10GOONER wrote:
Mon May 22, 2023 10:38 am
fivetothree wrote:
DB10GOONER wrote:
fivetothree wrote:

21/22 - 94 points

People are entitled to their opinions, that's not up to you or me to dictate, but you clearly have a far looser definition of "flawless" than most. :lol:

Lol 94 and 97 points aren't flawless. Ok mate :lol:

augie

Post by augie »

fivetothree wrote:
Mon May 22, 2023 12:27 pm
augie wrote:
fivetothree wrote:
augie wrote:
fivetothree wrote:

Saka has been out of form for months, but he has played ever game. Why? Because we don't have the squad that City do. Saliba gets injured, Holding comes in. Martinelli has barely been rested, same with Ode.

Now look at City's bench and squad compared to ours. If Foden is out of form Mahrez or Grealish can come in. They can let Cancelo go and still have loads of good defensive options. Thats why we dropped points in those games, too many overplayed players who were out of form.

Stop fcuking deflecting about citeeh ffs - had southampton, the shammers and forest any injuries ? Is their squad deeper than ours ? Did they spend billions more than we did since the basque fool took over ?
You correctly point to saka's shit form for the last few months, but then I'll ask you why didnt he play smith-rowe or nelson instead of him ? He should have played martinelli and trossard on the wings, but he had other options too like the aforementioned smith-rowe and nelson, or he could have played the portugese pussy vieira - I mean he spunked big money on the useless c.unt so he must rate him no ? He didnt drop saka cos it was another example of a bad manager not seeing what is in front of him, and not wanting to play smith-rowe if he can help it at all. I remember the days not so long ago when I continually said that the basque c.unt does not want or rate smith-rowe and tierney and I was told that I was crazy - tis funny the way that aged though :roll:

fivetothree

Post by fivetothree »

augie wrote:
Mon May 22, 2023 12:54 pm
fivetothree wrote:
augie wrote:
fivetothree wrote:
augie wrote:

Stop fcuking deflecting about citeeh ffs - had southampton, the shammers and forest any injuries ? Is their squad deeper than ours ? Did they spend billions more than we did since the basque fool took over ?
You correctly point to saka's shit form for the last few months, but then I'll ask you why didnt he play smith-rowe or nelson instead of him ? He should have played martinelli and trossard on the wings, but he had other options too like the aforementioned smith-rowe and nelson, or he could have played the portugese pussy vieira - I mean he spunked big money on the useless c.unt so he must rate him no ? He didnt drop saka cos it was another example of a bad manager not seeing what is in front of him, and not wanting to play smith-rowe if he can help it at all. I remember the days not so long ago when I continually said that the basque c.unt does not want or rate smith-rowe and tierney and I was told that I was crazy - tis funny the way that aged though :roll:
Ok, I will type this again for you. The games you mentioned, they are one off games! The squad is clearly exhausted and Arteta doesn't trust most of the squad players. City are our competitors and they are able to rotate far better than we do as they have much more strength in depth. Thats the difference, they can manage these games better than us as they have fresher players.

Nelson - not quite good enough. Arteta only uses him when he has to
ESR - clearly there is an issue, either injury related or not fitting into his system. Barely used
Vieria - it is his first season and he is clearly adjusting to the league. I can remember people saying the same as Pires after his first season, I'm not saying he will reach that level, but he deserves another season to prove himself
Tierney - doesn't fit the system
Holding - not good enough
Kiwior - untested (though he did well in his first couple of games)

City don't have any players like the above.

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

fivetothree wrote:
DB10GOONER wrote:
fivetothree wrote:
DB10GOONER wrote:
fivetothree wrote:

21/22 - 94 points

Lol all you want. Forget the numbers. Its a stickman stats argument that means nothing. It's the type of garbage wenger cultists used to use to justify wenger constantly picking the utter shut that was Denilson and his "98% passing accuracy" stat. Pure nonsense.

The only qualifier (and quantifier) to being flawless is winning the league - or even more accurately winning it unbeaten.

Did. They. Win. The. League.

No. <-----

OK mate? :lol:

fivetothree

Post by fivetothree »

DB10GOONER wrote:
Mon May 22, 2023 5:37 pm
fivetothree wrote:
DB10GOONER wrote:
fivetothree wrote:
DB10GOONER wrote:

21/22 - 94 points

Lol all you want. Forget the numbers. Its a stickman stats argument that means nothing. It's the type of garbage wenger cultists used to use to justify wenger constantly picking the utter shut that was Denilson and his "98% passing accuracy" stat. Pure nonsense.

The only qualifier (and quantifier) to being flawless is winning the league - or even more accurately winning it unbeaten.

No. <-----

Sorry the facts don't suit your narrative. That's the thing about facts, you can't dispute them. :box:

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

fivetothree wrote:
Mon May 22, 2023 6:30 pm
DB10GOONER wrote:
fivetothree wrote:
DB10GOONER wrote:
fivetothree wrote:

21/22 - 94 points

No. <-----

Sorry the facts don't suit your narrative. That's the thing about facts, you can't dispute them. :box:
Sorry you are not bright enough to grasp this. One more try.

A "flawless" team wins the league. Thus the use of the word "flawless".

A flawed team finishes second or third. Those are the facts.

fivetothree

Post by fivetothree »

DB10GOONER wrote:
Mon May 22, 2023 6:37 pm
fivetothree wrote:
Mon May 22, 2023 6:30 pm
DB10GOONER wrote:
fivetothree wrote:
DB10GOONER wrote:

No. <-----

Sorry you are not bright enough to grasp this. One more try.

A "flawless" team wins the league. Thus the use of the word "flawless".

A flawed team finishes second or third. Those are the facts.
A team getting 90 plus points is flawless. Were the invincibles not flawless?

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

It looks like Rafa the Spanish Waiter has infiltrated this thread with all the facts being quoted :D

TeeCee

Post by TeeCee »

No and No!!

You need to look up the definition of flawless bud. It means perfect, no errors. Flawless is winning every single game. If you win 37 games and drew 1, it's an amazing season but not flawless! :roll: :banghead:

fivetothree

Post by fivetothree »

SteveO 35 wrote:
Mon May 22, 2023 8:36 pm
It looks like Rafa the Spanish Waiter has infiltrated this thread with all the facts being quoted :D
Truth hurts does it? Oh dear. :rubchin:

fivetothree

Post by fivetothree »

TeeCee wrote:
Tue May 23, 2023 5:08 am
No and No!!

You need to look up the definition of flawless bud. It means perfect, no errors. Flawless is winning every single game. If you win 37 games and drew 1, it's an amazing season but not flawless! :roll: :banghead:
FFS stop being so literal.