Mikel Arteta, success or failure? - Merged thread.

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.

Will he ?

Have a statue erected after 30 glorious years service?
9%
Be a success, pick up a few trophies and put the club back on an even keel?
27%
Be a moderate success, before handing over to a more high profile successor?
20%
Be an utter fucking disaster?
44%

Total votes: 100

Redarmy

Re: Mikel Arteta, success or failure? - Merged thread.

Post by Redarmy »

Best ever start to a premiership season....cant argue with that

Stuart L (2)

Post by Stuart L (2) »

wilson2.0 wrote:
Wed Dec 28, 2022 9:12 am
If there was a 40 year old manager in another league who turned around a famous football club and got them competing at the top end when no one expected it, & after years of drifting, this is a manager we would say, lets hire.

I think he is one of the best young managers in the world and the massive gamble we took to give him the job and even persist with him despite a pretty horrid start is beginning to pay off massive dividends.

United fans want ETH to 'do and Arteta'. Chelsea fans want Potter to 'do an Arteta'. Tottenham fans which they had an Arteta. Liverpool fans are seeing similarities with their rise under Klopp and ours under Arteta. City fans probably view him as a worthy replacement for Pep.

Wenger was a great manager in his first 10 years, a man you knew was ahead of the curve. I have the same feeling with Arteta - he is ahead of the curve.
Is there a manger in the premier league you would swap him for right now ?

I wouldn’t

I think I said at the start of the season, after the signings of Jesus and Zinchenko that it was now his team, made from his signings and players let go and he had no more wriggle room.

We all know the last 2 seasons have been disappointing, but to where we stand now to where we have come from has been remarkable.

We haven’t won anything yet, this season, but by god we are showing that we are fully capable of doing so, be-it this year, or next, potentially for the next 5/6 years if this teams stays together as they will only improve.

We were right to question his appointment, with no previous experience as a no 1, and right, at times, to question the team play, etc etc but not only do I now look forward to games, I get that churning sensation in my stomach for each and every match - used to just be games v the scum in the last few years.

Big up to the Kronke’s too, for the foresight to appoint him, stick with him when it wasn’t going to plan and also to increase his contact in a show of support that you would not see at some other London clubs….

Finally he has turned our support into a huge advantage, from a disenchanted rabble with in fighting, to a vociferous, aligned, group, both home and away, that show solidarity with the club, players and each other.

:barscarf: :barscarf: :barscarf:

Not bad for a cone boy or Martinez- lite eh ? :lol: :lol:

Redarmy

Post by Redarmy »

Yes big difference been noted in the fan base, for any success its critical everyone pulling in same direction.....said at start of season atmosphere was amazing...away games support is second to none...

He also had a hand in getting an anthem that the supporters could identify with....he seems very thorough in his approach

Nothing won as yet.....but the progress is Undeniable

A11M11

Post by A11M11 »

We need to remember that the target at the beginning of this season was 4th place or better. We are massively over achieving at the moment and we need to be aware that if we get caught on the line but still qualify for Champions League , that we don't turn on the club the manager and players , as it will be a successful season.
Sure we all want to go all the way and finish top but this squad is young and is the basis for another 4 years at least.

Redarmy

Post by Redarmy »

A11M11 wrote:
Mon Jan 02, 2023 1:15 pm
We need to remember that the target at the beginning of this season was 4th place or better. We are massively over achieving at the moment and we need to be aware that if we get caught on the line but still qualify for Champions League , that we don't turn on the club the manager and players , as it will be a successful season.
Sure we all want to go all the way and finish top but this squad is young and is the basis for another 4 years at least.
I would be well happy with a Champions League place and reinstating St Totteringhams day :barscarf: :barscarf: :barscarf:

Stuart L (2)

Post by Stuart L (2) »

Redarmy wrote:
Mon Jan 02, 2023 1:42 pm
A11M11 wrote:
Mon Jan 02, 2023 1:15 pm
I would be well happy with a Champions League place and reinstating St Totteringhams day :barscarf: :barscarf: :barscarf:
I think if we were offered that at the start of the season, most would have said yes please.
To view that as potentially a disappointment shows the levels now.

Nos89

Post by Nos89 »

Think Arteta should've taken a calculated risk with a couple of subs in the Newcastle game. Usually plays safe and we know the changes. Needs to mix it up a bit more. Could Vieira and marquinhos found space, give something different? Yes.
Defensively, the team weren't threatened. He did a pep and got the same result. You just know Wenger would've thrown on all attacking players to get a result. Usually worked.

Retro Gunner

Post by Retro Gunner »

Nos89 wrote:
Tue Jan 03, 2023 10:46 pm
Think Arteta should've taken a calculated risk with a couple of subs in the Newcastle game. Usually plays safe and we know the changes. Needs to mix it up a bit more. Could Vieira and marquinhos found space, give something different? Yes.
Defensively, the team weren't threatened. He did a pep and got the same result. You just know Wenger would've thrown on all attacking players to get a result. Usually worked.

With that old fucker in charge, we'd have lost last night. Especially the clown he became in the last 12 years.

Nos89

Post by Nos89 »

Retro Gunner wrote:
Wed Jan 04, 2023 1:38 pm
Nos89 wrote:

With that old fucker in charge, we'd have lost last night. Especially the clown he became in the last 12 years.
Not the way Newcastle played, they didn't play for the win, weren't ever likely to change that tactic.
I remember a game against Everton where we had 9 attacking players on, Wenger brought on Theo as a RB, still drew the game. It happens.

Retro Gunner

Post by Retro Gunner »

Nos89 wrote:
Wed Jan 04, 2023 3:16 pm
Retro Gunner wrote:
Wed Jan 04, 2023 1:38 pm
Nos89 wrote:

Not the way Newcastle played, they didn't play for the win, weren't ever likely to change that tactic.
I remember a game against Everton where we had 9 attacking players on, Wenger brought on Theo as a RB, still drew the game. It happens.

Of course it happens, who said otherwise? What I did say was that under the Old Fraud, we'd have likely lost the game. Happened all too often in the second half of his reign, where the game was set up like last night, he made bonkers in game changes and we got mugged by a long ball over the top, or a quick break away.

That said, Arteta should have done more than bringing Tomi on. Viera for Clubfoot would have made sense and what's the point of Marquinhos on the bench if he can't get on in a situation like yesterday?

BFG4

Post by BFG4 »

Anyone see the article by Andy Dunn about Arteta's behaviour on the sidelines on Tuesday?
"The officials were not scandalous Mikel, but your manic antics were"

What a cùnt. I have no problem with criticising tactics or team selection but when your going down this route it's almost personal. The club should ban pricks like this from the Emirates. If we somehow won the title, so many of these wankers would lose their minds such is the hatred they have for the club.

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

BFG4 wrote:
Fri Jan 06, 2023 2:11 pm
Anyone see the article by Andy Dunn about Arteta's behaviour on the sidelines on Tuesday?

What a cùnt. I have no problem with criticising tactics or team selection but when your going down this route it's almost personal. The club should ban pricks like this from the Emirates. If we somehow won the title, so many of these wankers would lose their minds such is the hatred they have for the club.
He's always been a smug two faced sneary cùnt.

mcdowell42

Post by mcdowell42 »

J.Burt at the Telegraph was another 1 having ago too,that fat nonce Richard Keys who was once with Sky sports is constantly having a pop too ,fuck them all ,go on Arteta :barscarf:

Stuart L (2)

Post by Stuart L (2) »

BFG4 wrote:
Fri Jan 06, 2023 2:11 pm

It’s just so 2 faced

Klopp does it and he is passionate and a character and great for the game

Clummo99

Post by Clummo99 »

Little, fat, small mouthed hairy cùnt. :roll:

https://twitter.com/richardajkeys/statu ... 7162957824

We must be doing something right cos all the haters are popping their heads up again. :barscarf: