Mikel Arteta, success or failure? - Merged thread.

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.

Will he ?

Have a statue erected after 30 glorious years service?
9%
Be a success, pick up a few trophies and put the club back on an even keel?
27%
Be a moderate success, before handing over to a more high profile successor?
20%
Be an utter fucking disaster?
45%

Total votes: 101

Gunnerz4life

Re: Mikel Arteta, success or failure? - Merged thread.

Post by Gunnerz4life »

OneBardGooner wrote:
Wed Oct 12, 2022 10:25 am
nut flush gooner wrote:
Wed Oct 12, 2022 9:41 am
Gunnerz4life wrote:
Wed Oct 12, 2022 7:55 am
When Emery was sacked, I recall a few posters suggesting Ancelotti and Allegri's name. Looking at how their careers had gone since, Ancelotti was at Everton and bailed at the first chance he got to Madrid, ending up winning the CL and the league and leaving Everton in shambles to the point that they were fighting relegation. Allegri waited till the Juve vacancy became available and Juve has been in a bit of a freefall since he was appointed.

While one may never know how they would have fared at us, it kind of proves that a big name does not necessarily guarantee success.

The only template of a struggling club that has not been pimped up by Russian or Middle East sugar daddies becoming title challengers over the recent past in the PL are Leicester and Liverpool. Leicester were an anomaly that will not be repeated for years to come. Liverpool invested in a long term project and appointed a manager who may not have won as many trophies as some others in the market but was a manager of pedigree with charisma and a style of football that is proven to be successful, someone who was ready to own and drive the long term vision.

Arteta was never in my list of potential candidates but I was in favour of appointing a young manager with a good CV of making the most of limited resources with a footballing philosophy that is sustainable. I would have really liked us to get Nagelsmann who was at Hoffenheim at the time and also thought Ten Haag would be a decent choice.

However ever since Arteta joined and having listened to him, I have identified with the vision. But it was always going to about whether he could put the theory to practice. He obviously has made mistakes and there was a good case to sack him during his first full season. But he had turned it around and not only has he changed the culture of the club with all the passengers shown the door and players willing to run to the ground brought in but also the entire mood of the fanbase. He deserves credit for that. However that credit will not last long if there isn't one big trophy in the cabinet or at least a serious title push in the near future.
Nice to see a very level-headed constructive summary of what Arteta has achieved.

There is no doubt, he's effectively served an apprenticeship with Arsenal and made a LOT of mistakes along the way, 2 seasons ago he could easily have been sacked. But that wasn't in any way his team. The board to their credit bought into what Arteta and Edu wanted to achieve and our recruitment for the last two seasons has been spot on.

Arteta has the dressing room 100% onside, he ditched anyone who didn't buy into the ethics of what Arsenal Football Club is about. It was messy, yes, but it had to be done even if it was in the public gaze.

What we now have is one of the best young managers in world football, tactically he has proven that he's now up there with the best, especially this season, and it's time to stop all the sniping and back him. He turned Xhaka around from a complete basket case to an undroppable number 8. That in its own right is some achievement.

I am loving being an Arsenal fan again for the first time in years, the atmosphere at the home games is the best since we left Highbury.

Yes, it seems like a million years doesn't it. :barscarf:
I can't remember the last time so many of our players had their own songs, it's bloody brilliant. I envy those that get to enjoy the new atmosphere at games every week and for most of them it's well earned.

If I was a rival fan I'd be really worried about us at this moment in time as it seems there is something brewing at the club. But as a fan expectations need to be tempered :D .

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

Gunnerz4life wrote:
Wed Oct 12, 2022 1:39 pm
OneBardGooner wrote:
Wed Oct 12, 2022 10:25 am
nut flush gooner wrote:
Gunnerz4life wrote:
When Emery was sacked, I recall a few posters suggesting Ancelotti and Allegri's name. Looking at how their careers had gone since, Ancelotti was at Everton and bailed at the first chance he got to Madrid, ending up winning the CL and the league and leaving Everton in shambles to the point that they were fighting relegation. Allegri waited till the Juve vacancy became available and Juve has been in a bit of a freefall since he was appointed.

While one may never know how they would have fared at us, it kind of proves that a big name does not necessarily guarantee success.

The only template of a struggling club that has not been pimped up by Russian or Middle East sugar daddies becoming title challengers over the recent past in the PL are Leicester and Liverpool. Leicester were an anomaly that will not be repeated for years to come. Liverpool invested in a long term project and appointed a manager who may not have won as many trophies as some others in the market but was a manager of pedigree with charisma and a style of football that is proven to be successful, someone who was ready to own and drive the long term vision.

Arteta was never in my list of potential candidates but I was in favour of appointing a young manager with a good CV of making the most of limited resources with a footballing philosophy that is sustainable. I would have really liked us to get Nagelsmann who was at Hoffenheim at the time and also thought Ten Haag would be a decent choice.

However ever since Arteta joined and having listened to him, I have identified with the vision. But it was always going to about whether he could put the theory to practice. He obviously has made mistakes and there was a good case to sack him during his first full season. But he had turned it around and not only has he changed the culture of the club with all the passengers shown the door and players willing to run to the ground brought in but also the entire mood of the fanbase. He deserves credit for that. However that credit will not last long if there isn't one big trophy in the cabinet or at least a serious title push in the near future.
Nice to see a very level-headed constructive summary of what Arteta has achieved.

There is no doubt, he's effectively served an apprenticeship with Arsenal and made a LOT of mistakes along the way, 2 seasons ago he could easily have been sacked. But that wasn't in any way his team. The board to their credit bought into what Arteta and Edu wanted to achieve and our recruitment for the last two seasons has been spot on.

Arteta has the dressing room 100% onside, he ditched anyone who didn't buy into the ethics of what Arsenal Football Club is about. It was messy, yes, but it had to be done even if it was in the public gaze.

What we now have is one of the best young managers in world football, tactically he has proven that he's now up there with the best, especially this season, and it's time to stop all the sniping and back him. He turned Xhaka around from a complete basket case to an undroppable number 8. That in its own right is some achievement.

I am loving being an Arsenal fan again for the first time in years, the atmosphere at the home games is the best since we left Highbury.

Yes, it seems like a million years doesn't it. :barscarf:
I can't remember the last time so many of our players had their own songs, it's bloody brilliant. I envy those that get to enjoy the new atmosphere at games every week and for most of them it's well earned.

If I was a rival fan I'd be really worried about us at this moment in time as it seems there is something brewing at the club. But as a fan expectations need to be tempered :D .
Agreed mate. I heard someone say it very well the other day when he said We (Gooners) are quite right to be Excited, but we shouldn't get carried away, which as usual is what some are doing. We all know that at some point we will lose, but hopefully unlike last season when we lost one game that was followed up by two more losses. As and when we do lose, it will not only be the manner of the loss; how we played etc, but how we play in the game after that.

BUT we seriously do need to take each game at a time; the away age to Bodo will be no walk-over and then the game away to DIRTY Leeds again will be a tough match, they will be fresher than us and are physically a very fit team. Under their new manager they mark very tightly and pass the ball well, so we will need to turn up and 'Attack, Attack and Attack' .

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

The Recent First Squad Photo-Shoot at Coney:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pGcDy-XM-FU

wilson2.0

Post by wilson2.0 »

We were his first proper job in management, which when you look back throughout history I dont think any other managers first job would be as big as the Arsenal job. Ole and Frank fast tracked to the United and Chelsea job had spells in Norway and the championship in England. Zidane managed Real Madrid B before getting the top job, even Pep had had a spell as Barcelona B boss. But with Arteta, his first job as manager was the Arsenal first team.

I thought it was a ridiculous appointment. I couldn't believe he got the job. Most people were wide eyed with dismay and surprise. I think the legacy of these perceptions remain. People still think Arteta is an unproven novice. But he isnt a novice anymore and is well into his stride getting the team playing a high quality brand of football and stamping his authority on the team and the club. He has changed the culture and the fans trust him. You can see this when we concede goals, there isnt that anxiety as there is more trust in the team to correct things. Which happened against Tottenham and Liverpool. combined we went ahead 3 times and conceded an equalizer 3 teams, but in both games we clawed back and got the three points. You can say the same thing going down to Fulham and conceding an equalizer against Aston Villa - there was no panic and we won those games too.

I dont mind rival fans memeing him and still not rating him. But whats really surprising, is Arsenal fans still unsure of him. Right now is as good as its been since 07-08 which was our last genuine title challenge (I dont count coming second to Leicester City). Whilst that team collapsed, this team's story is yet to be written. Likely City will have too much power, but something tells me Arteta is lowkey aiming to win the league this year. HIs mindset is better than later year Wenger. Wenger would have considered this start to the season as a safety net in the race for a CL spot, but I dont think Arteta thinks like that.

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

A milestone match against Liverpool - was really pleasing to see the team win a game that they almost certainly would have lost last season. What was especially pleasing was scoring on the stroke of half time, when we'd been under the cosh for the previous 20 minutes. Last season we played 4 games against them and failed to score. That was definitely one of the hurdle matches to tick off the list, especially as Liverpool aren't playing as well as last season - would have been a galling defeat, but the team rebounded very strongly

Last season we lost games in clusters and we've avoided doing that too

Very promising signs - the next landmarks are picking up some points against City, and going to Anfield and The New Shitole and avoiding dickings.

I'll start believing if we're able to do that

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

Also to continuer getting results in the Prem the further we go in the Europa Cup.. as that will test not only our levels of fitness, but also how well the other squad members do when they have to step in. I still think we need a bit of steel in the Mid-field and a right nasty fucker who can mix it in the attack when called upon.

Nos89

Post by Nos89 »

Looks like Arteta has reset the standard for managers dealing with high profile troublesome players within clubs, re: Ronaldo as Man Utd.

goonersid

Post by goonersid »

Win tomorrow and I might have to add "rename the stadium after him" to the poll options :wink:
It's all going too well, I don't think I could handle a capitulation :cry:

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

Fuccckkk! :shock:

I've just seen that after the Forest game this coming week-end: Sunday Oct 30th, we have Four games in 12 days before the World Cup commences:

Thursday 3rd NOV (away) Zurich FC
Sunday 6th NOV (away) Chavscum
Wednesday 9th NOV (home) Brighton
Saturday 12th NOV (away) Wolves

That is some tight and demanding schedule I don't care who you are or how big a squad .... If we can somehow manage to stay Top after that last game going into Dec... it will be a fuckin' Miracle.

#COYG

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

OneBardGooner wrote:
Tue Oct 25, 2022 3:00 pm

I've just seen that after the Forest game this coming week-end: Sunday Oct 30th, we have Four games in 12 days before the World Cup commences:

That is some tight and demanding schedule I don't care who you are or how big a squad .... If we can somehow manage to stay Top after that last game going into Dec... it will be a fuckin' Miracle.

#COYG
I'm hoping our best players all pick up a leetle beet neegle in those games and can't go to the Slavery World Cup but stay in England and recover full fitness just before the PL kicks off again. 8)

StuartL
Location: It’s a new dawn, a new day a new life, for me and I’m feeling good

Post by StuartL »

OneBardGooner wrote:

#COYG
Zurich is at home mate - we won away 2-1 :barscarf:

So far easier on paper, with less travelling, but still a packed fixture list.

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

StuartL wrote:
Tue Oct 25, 2022 7:14 pm
OneBardGooner wrote:

Thursday 3rd NOV (home) Zurich FC

#COYG
Zurich is at home mate - we won away 2-1 :barscarf:

So far easier on paper, with less travelling, but still a packed fixture list.
Ooops! :oops:

Course it is! :high5: :D

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

nut flush gooner wrote:
Gunnerz4life wrote:

Nutty that bit in red was over the top when we were playing well, mate. I think you will reconsider those words before this season is out. :|

I hope I'm wrong, but Martinez-Lite is still making terrible mistakes and his in game management is still poor far too often. As for Lobotomy Clive? Quite possibly the most droppable player in the PL.

Nos89

Post by Nos89 »

Arteta has to manage his emotions when we are losing. Yes, it's only our second defeat of the season but again for about 5 minutes no one knew what they were doing at the back. Because of that we couldn't attack. He has to stay calm keep the defence steady until the attack gets coordinated.
His reaction to hook Odegaard everytime we concede indicates the lack of faith in the midfielders fighting capabilities in the face of adversity.

A11M11

Post by A11M11 »

Odegaard is fine when all is sweet and we are dominating the game but when we go backward he disappears . Unfortunately whilst Smith -Rowe is unavailable we only have Vieira as an alternative and he is little better, if at all.
The midfield has been a problem for a long time but we are still light in first picks and back ups. We can't expect Martinelli and Saka to pull them out of the fire all the time with individual effort .
We need a better midfield that goes forward and protects the back by tracking runners and anticipating movement.